Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SLANE 2009 Oasis - All Discussion - No ticket sales.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

I had good craic.

Had a bag full of gargle so didn't need to worry about paying for drink, the Prodigy were unreal and the place was great when Oasis came on. Everyone I spoke to were quite friendly and up for a laugh.

As for people complaining about the walk, come here and I tell ya about the times I spent up in the Wicklow mountains with a GPMG in my hand and a backpack on my back.... :pac::p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

This was my 5th Slane, last one before was the Stones.
    I must admit, coming from Navan it was handy enough, Bus Eireann had buses going every 15 minutes to the venue, you got dropped 1-2km from the Gate.
    Not too bad; however coming back we'd a good walk back up hill to the BusEireann buses and there were stewards there telling you where to go.

Although i queued for a drink, i was there for 50mins, infact i missed most of Kasabian's set. i didn't do that again. Esp for a two drink max!!

Prodigy were awesome as usual. And Oasis were good, sticking to mostly old stuff, the newer stuff was alright but people are only interested in their old stuff.

There was a definite lack of organisation this year, specially round the food stands, we were Qing for about 30 mins to get a coke, and there was a serious crush going on, normally they have a barrier with entrance/exit on these things and stewards nearby, obviously cutting back on costs there.

Would i go again, yes i would, its a day out after all. Though it seems like the dublin bus operation was a complete shambles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

Plug wrote: »
    Something similar last year for me and a few mates. We had no bus back to kilkenny from meath so we had to get a D bus back to dublin and walk to the train station. Wait for about 9 hours on a comedown in the freezing cold. This only gets worse because one of my friends had sh!t themselfs and the smell was dirt!
    Consider yourself lucky:D

Why didn't they just go to a toilet and dump their underwear there? Thats what I always do when I sh1t myself in public :pac: Or was it more scuttery sh1t that ran down onto their trousers as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

If the experience at Slane was this bad, Metallica at Marlay Park should be a barrel of laughs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

wellbutty wrote: »
    Drove up from Waterford to my first Slane, not knowing what to expect but what the f***??????????????

Looks like the crowd going through the forest was so bad the cops had to remove the ticket checks...does this happen every year????? Why would anyone pay 80 quid next year if you can get in free??!

Why couldn't they use the main street as the entrance from the start???

The queue for a pint was unbelievable, how can there be so few bars??? ONE HOUR to get a drink! How can they be so slow serving either wine or a pint????

Reckon the crowd was over 80000, Oasis made it all worthwhile.

I pity all those waiting for buses that weren't there.

Bring on next years one :D

Why should anything be improved if you are already looking forward to next years Slane event.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Dub13 wrote: »
    How does a adult sh!t themselfs..?

Usually, they think it's just a fart...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

A few years ago I was at Oxygen,got the bus home what they did was lock all the car parks down ontill 80/90% of the buses left.It was great we got out before the traffic,thats the way it should be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Anyone get sun burn? Didn't think it was hot enough but my face and neck are red this mornin. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Slane - 1 Day. Metallica - 1 Day.

I cant wait to see what people have to say about Oxegen!!!! That should make for some great reading!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 496 ✭✭renraw

How does a adult sh!t themselfs..?

Probably followed through on a fart and p1ssed out of their backside...been known to happen...I blame heineken :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭- bo -

Got a lift to Slane at about 1pm, could drive up to within 100m to the entrance which was great, they slapped a pit pass on me and my mate on the way in and so we could come and go from the pit as I pleased.

Met a friend of mine there from Monaghan and because of the time she arrived she didn't have a pit pass, and we didn't want to leave her on her own so just before The Prodigy started, my mate went into the pit, we waited the other side of the barrier and he passed his pit pass over which we stuck on her wrist with the help of some chewing gum, and we all got in!

Prodigy were the main reason I went, got second row and they put on a great performance. Great atmosphere for them, this was my fourth time seeing them and the first time in daylight, the atmosphere at gigs is always better when it's dark I think. On the way out I bought one of the unofficial Prodigy t-shirts for a tener, with the tour dates on the back. Thing is, Slane wasn't included, and I also saw them at Rock Im Park in Germany a few weeks ago and that wasn't either, which was a bit stupid...

Walked for about half an hour when we got out and we found Bus Éireann buses heading back to Navan eventually for 7 quid, all in all a great day out :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Why should anything be improved if you are already looking forward to next years Slane event.

Because there's room for improvement to make it an even better day out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 greenninja27

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    why should anything be improved? havent you been listening???
    I had to deal with the shambles afterwards, so theres two
    sides to the story, those who got out easily and the majority who had to endure such an unmitigated disaster they will never go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

A few years ago I was at Oxygen,got the bus home what they did was lock all the car parks down ontill 80/90% of the buses left.It was great we got out before the traffic,thats the way it should be done.

Supposed to be doing the same at AC/DC next week as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭ManwitaPlan

sofireland wrote: »
    Prodigy were awesome as usual. And Oasis were good, sticking to mostly old stuff, the newer stuff was alright but people are only interested in their old stuff.

Yeah I thought their newer stuff would've gone down better live but the crowd was just really flat and you could tell nobody knew the songs and were just waiting for them to end.

Similiar story with my big mouth. I think thats a great live song but nobody seems to know it and again it just seems to suck the energy out of the crowd.

Their old stuff always goes down brilliant though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Supposed to be doing the same at AC/DC next week as well.

Its the only way it should be done,they may also get 2 runs out of the buses seems they are not stuck in traffic on the first run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 MsTempermental

I thought Slane was great, yea there was the usual beer dilemma and vastly over priced foods but the gig and the sound was great! Then at the end when I was about to start walking home 3 muppetts ploughed into me and did my leg in, hilarious boys frickin hilarious I cant move today my leg is so sore, I know someone punched one of them in the balls (unfortunately not me!) and I really really hope that it still hurts today, muppets!

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

Friend of mine had my ticket, and was coming in from Trim after stopping off to watch the Lions game, but I was on the other side, coming from the river. There was no way we were going to meet, so he rang me to tell me he had sold my ticket to someone. So he's no longer my friend. He did manage to convince me to come all the way in, and people were selling spares at the gate.
    For some reason, security at the first 2 barriers were only checking for bottles, nobody asked me to produce my ticket. The walk through the castle grounds was a near death experience. I've been to Slane a few times, and this was the worst, and everyone around me agreed. People were herded along a narrow path, between temporary fencing, and nobody seemed to be moving. Idiots were hanging off the fences, trying to drag them down, and others (including me) were screaming at them and holding up the fences. Hillsbrough was mentioned on more than one occasion. Despite few the posted warnings, it was safer to go on the other side of the railings, through the wood. When I eventually got to the gig site, the march had taken me about 90 minutes. On the up side, nobody was checking for tickets at the entrance so I got in for free! Happy days!!

The Prodigy were just coming on, and I met some other friends who had come up from Limerick. They warned me them that queues for beer were over an hour, and anyone I saw with a pint said the same, 90 minutes was the longest I heard. Usual rip off prices for food, so I'm not going to go into that, you're all familiar with the practice.

Prodigy were excellent, far better than the last time I saw them headlining Saturday night at Witnness, never thought I'd hear Outer Space live.

I thought Oasis were marginally better at Marley Park, and Noel's mic seemed to be very quiet, compared to Liam's, but the setlist was quality, and the crowd were well up for it.

Oasis finished at 10:30, which began the trek from the site back to the buses. Getting to one of the 3 gates was hazardous, and with tempers short, it was surprising that only one fight broke out near me. I finally got to a bus at 12:10. The buses I had passed getting to it seemed to be moving once they got onto the road, but not so. There was precious little security, organisation, or garda presence, and it soon showed. By 2 o'clock, we had moved approximately 20 yards. No joke. Well, except for Dublin Bus. From text messages, and phone conversations going on around me, it seemed everyone else was in the same situation. Rang some friends in Dublin to check if there was anything online, or the radio, but nothing. And still nothing AFAIK. Health and safety went out the window, the bus was thronged, as was every other bus we eventually passed. We eventually started crawling along after 2, and I finally got to O'Connell Street at 3:45, more than 5 hours after Oasis went off.

Unless some serious guarantees are made about organisation and transport, I won't be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭-Kenny-

Concert was unbelieveable but the set up for after was an absolute disgrace, I left slane at half 10 for waterford and got home at half 6! :mad::mad:

Walking out the green exit and down the road across the bridge was just a sham, there must have been or will be somthing said about it, as with the post above, health and saftey issues did in fact go out the window, First and final trip to slane

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

If the experience at Slane was this bad, Metallica at Marlay Park should be a barrel of laughs.

i was at metallica in marlay last yr (going again this yr), outside of getting stuck in traffic and taking nearly 2 hours from central dublin (missing most of tenacious-d's set in the process) it was a great gig

note to self: leave central dublin by 4pm this time :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

I can just imagine. Had a similar problem myself at a punchestown concert a few years back. Walked for an hour and a bit until we got to where the busses were! In crowded, badly lit conditions. Very dangerous given the level of drunkeness and the stampede of people. We asked the guards the right direction to go, twice.. and twice they sent us in the wrong direction!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

MizzLolly wrote: »
    I can just imagine. Had a similar problem myself at a punchestown concert a few years back. Walked for an hour and a bit until we got to where the busses were! In crowded, badly lit conditions. Very dangerous given the level of drunkeness and the stampede of people. We asked the guards the right direction to go, twice.. and twice they sent us in the wrong direction!:mad:

the buses at punchestown are only a short walk now which is great, its a much longer walk to the buses at marlay park

so as hangovers subside and feet feel better, anyone starting to just remember the class night we just had?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 darren37

what a disgrace

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Marley park is hosting some talent.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Mahou wrote: »
    The tiger cubs aren't prepared for gigs like this. Having to queue for a beer and trying to get home on a bus. I mean wtf loike omg. Saw both groups in Cork in 96 I think. Great gig.
    Was at a gig in Slane years ago and had to do the long walk. It wasn't pleasant but we made the most of it and had a laugh.

says it perfectly ...... :D

I've been to slane 4-5times...each time theres always a queue for beer and theres always a long walk to carpark (I had VIP Carpark pass so didnt have to walk far - but was kinda at the back of the car queue).... made it back into Dublin for 1.30am (ish) ..... and we left after the encore.

as the poster above says its the celtic tiger cubs - who normally have everything nice and easy who are whining..... granted it was bad organisation - but its like that every year,

I do think a number of things could be done to make thing easier (like stop the gardai on point duty - only stops the flow of traffic)
    put a number of car parks in sererate areas (leaving in different directions - ensure the pathways to the car parks takes varying amounts of time (ie. if someone leaves grounds for carpark A it will take him 20mins to get to his car, if someone leaves to goto carpark B will take 20mins but in opposite direction - so if they are going same direction - one wont cause a delay for the other, if going different directions they wont interfere with each other paths - hope that makes sense)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭grimm2005

I thought each and every band was excellent, the ony reason I got to see them though is because having already cued for an hour for a beer I had decided I wouldnt be doing that again. I thought the way the thing was run ruined the whole bloody thing for me. I got the distinct feelin they took the money for the ticket and after that they didnt want to know people were being herded around like cows. And walking down dark narrow roads with buses everywhere. I got on the bus home at half 11 and we didnt move two feet for 2 hours. I finally got back to Dublin at 4.30 am from a concert finished at 11. I could get to Africa in that time. NEVER again. SLANE SUCKS.:mad:

Wow, that sounds really bad. I was working at the gig (deconstructing the stage with the crew) and my shift started at 10:30pm (as soon as gig ended), ended at 2:30am, they gave us food, and we got the coach and were back in dublin just over an hour after the coach left at 4:30am also, which is mad considering those who left as soon as the concert ended were getting back to dublin around the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭dublin 16 lad

Had a great day down in slane, the music was good and so was the atmosphere.

Have to say tho, Dublin Bus were terribly organised. I had to walk for 3 and a half hours to get a bus, it was a joke. It was a simple case of not having enough busses for the mass of people.Surely they would of worked out the numbers of busses needed by analysing the ticket sales?

Eventually after walking miles down the road a few busses got back from the 1st Dublin trip and collected us. But as they were heading back towards slane on a small road they coulnt even do a turn about so we had to sit in the traffic and go back to Slane so we could turn. It took another 3hours after I got on the bus to get back to Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

PCPhoto wrote: »
    says it perfectly ...... :D

I've been to slane 4-5times...each time theres always a queue for beer and theres always a long walk to carpark (I had VIP Carpark pass so didnt have to walk far - but was kinda at the back of the car queue).... made it back into Dublin for 1.30am (ish) ..... and we left after the encore.

as the poster above says its the celtic tiger cubs - who normally have everything nice and easy who are whining..... granted it was bad organisation - but its like that every year,

I do think a number of things could be done to make thing easier (like stop the gardai on point duty - only stops the flow of traffic)
    put a number of car parks in sererate areas (leaving in different directions - ensure the pathways to the car parks takes varying amounts of time (ie. if someone leaves grounds for carpark A it will take him 20mins to get to his car, if someone leaves to goto carpark B will take 20mins but in opposite direction - so if they are going same direction - one wont cause a delay for the other, if going different directions they wont interfere with each other paths - hope that makes sense)

Celtic tiger cubs...says the guy with the VIP car park pass. The poster above took 7 hours to get home after paying 22 euro. Bad organisation should be tolerated every year...for what reason?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

so as hangovers subside and feet feel better, anyone starting to just remember the class night we just had?

Hell ****ing yes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement