Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SLANE 2009 Oasis - All Discussion - No ticket sales.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Was working for it, the gig was horribly organised

• Registered Users Posts: 8 darren37

penned in like animals trying to get into slane, penned in like animals for an hour to get ,a gerat big sign for water...on a ****ing ice cream van .. at 10 euro a bottle. a two hour walk after the gig, all busses full, the few cops that were there were only intrested in looking agresive, no st johns ambulance, people were falling to their knees with exhaustion 15 miles down the dublin road. who ever was incharge of this debacle, namely the top gardi,should be ashamed of themselvs. i will never ever go back to that kip again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Skally-wag

I had a great time. Got there at around 2, got the bus from navan and we were dropped a good bit out but didn't mind the walk. Got in with little or no hassle. we drank early on so had no queues for drink. Bands were great, wasn't a big prodigy fan before but they were mad craic. Thankfully, there wasn't much problem getting out. had to walk a good bit back to the bus but left at around 11.45 with no trouble, so I was lucky to have had such a problem free day and I really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭modmuffin

Thoroughly enjoyed yesterday.

The Dublin Bus setup was a joke, they really need to filla field of buses and let them off as they fill up. The walk out was disgusting, but ive been before so wasnt unexpected.
    #we got lucky, walked for miles and hopped on a bus near the front and were back in dublin at 2am, got word from friends that some of the full buses we walked passed on the way out were still in slane at that time.

Music was class, really enjoyed Oasis, Prodigy and Kasabian

More bars needed, I queued twice, for 45 mins each time, luckily i was able to wrangle 4 pints off them each time though :)

The price of food is a joke, €20 for two burger & chips & 1 coke is just too much

Great day all the same, pity the bus fiasco is leaving a bitter taste in many peoples mouth

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Lister1

Third time in Slane but first in a long while. Was just with the GF this time so things where toned down for me compared to previous visits. Came in from Drogheda side with Taxi dropping us just outside the village. No problems getting in. Quiet a few people looking the worse for wear but these were happy drunks and were of no threat to anyone. Didn't bother to get pints as could see the queue would have taken way too long.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the state of the toilet facilities. As a fella this wasn't really an issue for myself but the GF decided it was best to hold it. The portaloos at the back seemed to be unisex with the queses being as bad as the ones for pints. Saw many women having to avail of the urinals area and a couple pushing/pleading their way past stewards to go down a laneway. Many of them in tears and one or two of them not making it and ending up pissing themselves.

Left a little bit early to get out ahead of the crowd. Long walk to Dolly Mitchells to get a taxi. Met a lot of people from Dublin/North who had taken the wrong turn and were on their way back. A couple of fellas had bacically walked as far as DM's before realising. I think the long walk back would have been a very sobering experiencing. Crazy that they didn't let taxis further towards Slane. A temp rank or something should have been installed nearer the village. There seemed to be a good few people who where attempting the long walk to Drogheda. Complete Darkness and very dangerous. I hope they made it back safely...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 coco5

First time to Slane - didn't mind the time it took to get in or get out or even the drinks queues - my issue was waiting on the side of the road for 5 hours stranded with no chance of gettting on any bus. Seems ridicoulous as I had bought a ticket prior to the event and thought that they would have enough buses for the amount of tickets sold - and filling buses from the back probably wasn't the brightest idea Dublin bus ever had. Arrived home at 5 am - Would definetely not return to Slane simply because by the end it wasn't safe and I think that Dublin Bus need to rethink their logistics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

some people will always find something to moan about.

Slane is an unbelievable natural theatre, but the village is not equipped for 80k people.

i have been in slane 4 times now and i accept that it will take ages to get home and queues for beer will be long but why do i go???

coz its one of the best settings for s summer concert. the place has an aura as the sun goes down just as the headliners come on.

i thought yesterday was fantastic, i loved it.

One concern is the lack of ticket checks that people on here have alluded to. I was in early and my ticket was scanned. people were turned at the barriers away BUT there was nowhere for those turned away to go, the long forrest walk was wedged. this is dangerous and it could end in tragedy at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

darren37 wrote: »
    people were falling to their knees with exhaustion 15 miles down the dublin road.
    There are plenty of place to sit in Ashbourne town center which is where these people would have been had they walked 15 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

music wise it was fantastic, i had no problems with the sound.on a little hill on the right and everyone around us was bang on, up for a laugh.

on the beer situation--hire people NOT from northern ireland where they dont use euros, so they dont have to spend ages looking at the coins to see what they were! that was the problem, the heineken was poured for ages sittin there but the girls handling the cash didnt have a clue what they were doing.the caprisun type pouches of wine were great though.i hope no one fell for the 2 drink maximum bull and queued again.easy enough to get more than 2.

the queue to get into the place- im sorry but when did sending thousands of people through a 20 foot gap in the woods seem like a good idea?

dublin bus are a bunch of jokers.

overall i had a good day, few gripes but its the music and craic i had ill remember.that said, wont be going to slane again in a hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭spiderman1885

Just wondering, did they show the Lions Match?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 darren37

the trafic couldnt move for 2 hours because people were walking past busses that were full assuming that further on down the road there would be emty ones,of course the idiots that organised it didnt take into acount that when people got to the last bus and it too was full they had nowhere to go.the cops instead of the standing laughing and joking with each other at the castle and bridge end of slane why the **** wernt they down at the busses on on the dublin road keeping it clear for traffic to move off. what can i say , they treat people like animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

maninasia wrote: »
    Celtic tiger cubs...says the guy with the VIP car park pass. The poster above took 7 hours to get home after paying 22 euro. Bad organisation should be tolerated every year...for what reason?

Hey - I was there working !!! (Photographing the gigs and fans)...and just for the record - that means I couldnt stop for a drink.

I agree that something should have been done for the busses - like I suggested - but its the same every year, and every year people complain and ....nothing is done !!!

its not just the busses that need to be addressed - its the gardai on traffic duty - the thousands of people walking on the roads, the actual roads themselves (not really big enough for a 70,000 crowd to leave)

I was pointing out that this problem exists and has not been addressed..... the fact that I was in the VIP car park meant that when traffic did actually move I was at the back of it....we had a laugh with some of the people overtaking us - general chatting to people - we even got out of the car and got chipper food (while in traffic - which wasnt going anywhere fast)

was it the little hill towards the toiletd right of stage? spent the day there wit really sound people nd heard leixlip mentioned..

i was sittin right where people were walkin out main crowd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 greenninja27

Bluetonic wrote: »
    There are plenty of place to sit in Ashbourne town center which is where these people would have been had they walked 15 miles.
    Sorry I dont understand that statement, whether it was 15 miles or not is irrelevant the fact remains people were sent on a death march after paying 80 quid for a ticket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

They cut the price of beer to a fiver near end of gig and queues improved to around ten minute wait during Oasis set.

I know it's in a rural location but so is punchestown and i got out of there in no time at last years oxigen which i found much better organised.

Surely they could construct a temporary carpark near village exit where busses could be lined up in rows and exit easier. Didnt seem to be enough busses to serve all the people , was told by a bus inspector 50 busses were waiting to get in but obvioulsy they didnt or didnt to well after 3am. It's a shame as Slane is a great amphitheatre and unique and beautiful setting.

Sorry I dont understand that statement, whether it was 15 miles or not is irrelevant the fact remains people were sent on a death march after paying 80 quid for a ticket.
    People need to be careful about what they state as fact. I am merely pointing out that if someone walked 15 miles on the N2 from Slane that that person would be in the middle of Ashbourne.

Whats so hard to understand about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Zangetsu

It was the worst run venue I've ever been to. Gig was fantastic though.

20 euro for a bus ticket, 3 hr walk, nap in a ditch.

Thank you Slane!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 greenninja27

Bluetonic wrote: »
    People need to be careful about what they state as fact. I am merely pointing out that if someone walked 15 miles on the N2 from Slane that that person would be in the middle of Ashbourne.

Whats so hard to understand about that?
    Why would they need to be careful what they state as fact? fact is it was a disgraceful situation whether you walked to Ashbourne or to Ballybofey. You wouldnt happen to work for Lord Henry would you? otherwise I dont see the point in you argueing in the favor of the organisers.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭ManwitaPlan

coco5 wrote: »
    and filling buses from the back probably wasn't the brightest idea Dublin bus ever had.

That just seemed completely illogical to me.

Why would they do that? You had buses trying to pull out in front of each other and buses driving from the back had to plough through the crowds.

It doesnt seem a very hard thing to organise to me. Line the buses up. Fill them from the front. When the first is full, drive off, when the second is full drive off. No ploughing through crowds or trying to pull out in front of other buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭- bo -

so as hangovers subside and feet feel better, anyone starting to just remember the class night we just had?

Yup.. up front for The Prodigy, they just never fail to impress. Went to the back to watch most of Oasis, not really in to them, I thought they were fairly boring actually to be honest. Overall though a great day out.

prodigy.jpg

• Advertisement

Why would they need to be careful what they state as fact?
    Over exaggeration of the matter of hand doesn't do any good.
    You wouldnt happen to work for Lord Henry would you? .
    Yes of course I do. :rolleyes:
    otherwise I dont see the point in you argueing in the favor of the organisers.
    I am not arguing in favour of the organisers. I don't have any opinion on the matter at hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

why should anything be improved? havent you been listening???

Yes but I am wondering why should anything be improved if there are people already looking forward to Slane next year. Why would the promoter spend the money when people will still pay to go to the event

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

was it the little hill towards the toiletd right of stage? spent the day there wit really sound people nd heard leixlip mentioned..

i was sittin right where people were walkin out main crowd

ye we were just in from the portaloos on that hill.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Why would they need to be careful what they state as fact? fact is it was a disgraceful situation whether you walked to Ashbourne or to Ballybofey. You wouldnt happen to work for Lord Henry would you? otherwise I dont see the point in you argueing in the favor of the organisers.

Because if you state something as fact and i find out you're telling lies i will ban you.

You have made your points be as respectful to others as they have been to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

wheres wally ?

WARNING - Big files !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Lord Henry

What is all this insolence? You peasants should be grateful I let you escape your uncivilized hovels to bask on the grounds of my glorious retreat.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Furze

Ah the memories - saw Dylan there in 1984. Burnt to a crisp. I recall well a couple of middle-aged hippies (for the day) smoking dope and gargling. They fell asleep just be Dylan came on and missed the lot. Can't remember the to or fro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Why would the promoter spend the money when people will still pay to go to the event

If that fiasco happens every year, chances are someone will be killed at Slane and the concert will be shut down. If I was a promoter, even a greedy one, I'd put a certain value on safeguarding the people attending my event.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

If someone had died then this would have made the press and then something would have been done about it. Since no one died, nothing will change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭gombeen99

Wait for it, Dublin bus will release a statement tomorrow stating that their precisely&thoroughly planned operation was thrown into disarray by drunks / people walking &sitting in front of buses,holding them all up.
    Truth: people kept walking further&further down the road because there was not a single announcement from Dublin bus saying that all buses were
    full,more were on the way&for everyone to wait at the initial dropoff point by side of the road. I heard 2 motorbike gardai talking& cursing Dublin bus, saying that as usual, the gardai were left to clean up the mess. As for the "drunks" causing problems (which I'm sure DB will claim), I didn't see any
    messy drunkenness at that stage (after a very sobering 2 hour walk!).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement