Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SLANE 2009 Oasis - All Discussion - No ticket sales.

Options

Comments

I heard the sound was s**t.

sorry but someone is lyin to you imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭NickNolte

Disorganised crap. Never again. Can't believe I f**king paid €80 for that s**t.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭bigpoppa

Tool moi? Mais Non!

I was actually at the gig and didn't have to queue for 90 mins for a beer? Do I detect some classic boards exaggeration perhaps ? I had several pints of Heineken and some nice food to boot :) It did take a while to get home but I was happy out after the gig. I think it took a good while cos there was like 80,000 people all trying to get home at the same time from what is essentially a remote country castle

A guy did spill some beer on my arm though at one point so I am going to burn my ACDC tickets now and hide in my house until Joe Duffy is on tomorrow and then I am going to call him. Twice. And let me tell you why, there were people at this gig. Lots of them. And some were drinking. I also saw someone with a pink cowboy hat and it made me cry.

Basically I am an Irish crybaby who lives in the lap of luxury and I expect gigs to be snuggly and safe like my bed at home. And as for Oxegen I am going down to it but they better have everything laid on perfect for me cos I am in effect a little prince who needs looking after.

This whole attitude about Ireland not being able to run gigs properly is wrong, it seems many people are just moaners :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,980 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Went to Slane to see REM in 1995, exactly the same story. Good to see things have not gone downhill!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Bobon

Jesus, some horror stories in here. I must have been lucky. I paid 30 euros for a ticket outside. They had the forest entrance closed off by the time I was walking in so we had to walk through the village entrance. It didn't take too long. The Prodigy were just starting at that stage. I thought they were brilliant, as were Oasis, who I'm not a major fan of. I went to the bar during Oasis and got served straight away.

The logistics were a joke this year for some reason. It took two hours to leave the site to catch a lift. Although most times I've been to Slane have been like this. All in all, I thought it was a great day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

As the one person qualified to answer this, yes you can get blisters from walking for two and a half hours.

nice name

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Had a blast. :D. We arrived just before 1 and walked straight in, no queueing. They must have opened gates early. Got a pit pass which I couldn't believe but happy days. Queue for the bar started to get bad around 5, luckily I had enough in me at that stage and didn't bother with any more. Prodigy were unreal, absolutely terrific live. They attract some scumbags but sure what can ya do. Really enjoyed Oasis especially the end of the set. Roll with it was my highlight. Was right in front of Noel which was cool.

Oh ya, If it rained at all the carparks (well the one I was in anyway) would have been a disaster. It was one on the right hand side as you approach so there was an incline on the way out. Car in front of me was slippin like mad and it was dry! I slipped a bit too. Thank Christ it stayed dry. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Been to Slane 4 times and this was the worst

That bloody walk when you get of the bus. Then took us over an hour to get into gig so missed Kasabian. Why dont they open the village and have another entrance?
    40 minute queue for beer which was crazy but yeah full of scobbies etc but use to that. Went to the back after Oasis went of and left before the last song as to bloody boring back in Dublin city centre by 12.30 but getting texts by mates at 2 pm saying they were still down there:(

Oasis were boring did not get the crowd going much but yet when I looked at the crowd for the prodigy it was rocking

I think Elvis or the Beatles would have to play Slane for me to go again

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Bobon

Been to Slane 4 times and this was the worst

That bloody walk when you get of the bus. Then took us over an hour to get into gig so missed Kasabian. Why dont they open the village and have another entrance?
    40 minute queue for beer which was crazy but yeah full of scobbies etc but use to that. Went to the back after Oasis went of and left before the last song as to bloody boring back in Dublin city centre by 12.30 but getting texts by mates at 2 pm saying they were still down there:(

Oasis were boring did not get the crowd going much but yet when I looked at the crowd for the prodigy it was rocking

I think Elvis or the Beatles would have to play Slane for me to go again

In fairness, considering you've been to Slane 4 times, you should have known it would take an hour to get in. You should have just turned up early. School-boy error on your part.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Oasis were fantastic, so were the prodigy, and the sound was spot on. We drove to the gig and it was a nightmare getting home but it was definatly worth it. Felt sorry for the people that got stranding there. There seemed to be plenty of them. Doubt some of them will ever get home judging by the state they were in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

unbelievable.. sorry but ur a fool for missin it! :p

Reading some peoples experiences I have my doubts. Seemingly the place was swarming with scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mchlllsn

First post, so big hello to you all....

Yesterday was my 3rd trip to Slane, so I have no complaints about time to get in and out of the site. Unfortunately that comes with the territory.:(

The beer queues were a joke though (again). Why only 2 drinks per person??? Anywhere I have been for an outdoor gig in Ireland/UK, it has been 4 beers and a 15-20 minute wait to get my mits on them.

....and another thing, if I was in that hot air balloon yesterday I would have parked the f--ker right above the concert site for the duration of the gig. :p

I wouldn't say swarming. prodigy will always bring in the pill heads but They were out numbered by (all be it very drunk) normal people like me.

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Reading some peoples experiences I have my doubts. Seemingly the place was swarming with scum.

true. seen a rite few arrests..

i lost everyone durin kasabian but found a great hill on the right wit really sound people for the day so that made it brilliant for me.. savage view aswell so was happy out

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Came in from the Kells side, loads of parking. Stayed till after the fireworks and was home in Cavan by 12 o clock. They had a one way system in place where the busses parked up on the kells road. They diverted the cars via an alternative route that linked up with the kells road about 8 mile out. Not a hold up to be seen. Thought it was well organised. Probably worthwhile in future for cars to come the long way round into Kells first and avoid the chaos on the other side but i suppose that advice is a bit late now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 captain_crunch

the show was great and there was no problem whatsoever with the sound, jus depends where your standing in relation to the speakers maybe. Rough lookin crowd alrite an there must of been a punch up or two around but i didnt see one frown the whole day, everyone was in a great mood. The walk back was a joke alrite but thats slane for you.
    At u2 there a few years back i had a badly torn ligement in my foot and the walk back took 4 hours for me with the lack of crutches. when we got to the bus it was gone an none of us and a penny or credit, a really sound guard took pity and got us on the very last dublin bus home for free, yey. Didnt get into bed til 6am that night any my foot was pure purple from the ankle down......would I do it all again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Kazooie wrote: »
    I wouldn't say swarming. prodigy will always bring in the pill heads but They were out numbered by (all be it very drunk) normal people like me.

Couldnt agree more. The crowd were grand, just a bit drunk was all. Didnt see one punchup all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

I cant understand why they closed the second bar at the entrace, leaving just one beer tent for 80,000 people. It was annoying but still had some great banter at the tent. Made it home by about half 1 but sounds like I was one of the lucky ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Kazooie wrote: »

Oasis have always been the scummers' rock band of choice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

I can't believe people are saying things like "Ah sure that's Slane for you".

It's not good enough IMO. I would never go if that's the way you are treated afterwards. Thanks for your money! We won't look after you to ensure you are safe afterwards. What a farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

i have to say it didnt do anything for me at all. i brought by dad down for a blast from the past (first concert he ever brought me to was oasis / prodigy in cork in 95/96).

never before have i seen queues like that before. was a joke.

getting in via forest was a nightmare. arrived on bus at 4.45 and got into the venue by 7.20. had my first beer at 8.05. why only 3 bars with 10 queues for 80,000 people?

thats just plain retarded. going to slane again just made me realise how ripped off we are getting in this country for going to see the bands we like!

you wouldnt get anything like it on mainland europe. FACT!

left early to avoid the crazyness on the way home but missed the end of oasis.

a lot of people were doing the same thing. back in city centre by 11.50.

to be honest i wouldve stayed but im glad i didnt as i was home by 12.15.

will never set foot in slane again. waste of 86euros

latenia wrote: »
    Oasis have always been the scummers' rock band of choice.

Agreed. But I didn't see one bit of trouble apart from a little scuffle queueing for the bar. I seen a good few off their tits on them auld tablets but they weren't causin hassle. If they had a better organised bar it would have made people more relaxed. Oh and the Prodigy kicked some serious ass. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

dylano_k wrote: »
    Anybody go to Slane to see Oasis? Performance was top notch as expected and the prodigy were brilliant.

After the show on heading for the buses though...we had to walk for 2 and a half hours to get to a bus, my feet are blistered to bits now and i cant put them down, we walked 9km's to the dublin bus area that we had to pay 20return to use and thats what we got for it. Now the walk might have done me some good but other than that the travelling arrangements where despicable.

That doesn't sound like that much of a disaster....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

This is what happens when you have 80k people going to a concert in a small town,believe it or not they are not designed for this type of event.Its hardly the bus company's fault.

At u2 there a few years back i had a badly torn ligement in my foot and the walk back took 4 hours for me with the lack of crutches. when we got to the bus it was gone an none of us and a penny or credit, a really sound guard took pity and got us on the very last dublin bus home for free, yey. Didnt get into bed til 6am that night any my foot was pure purple from the ankle down......would I do it all again?

you did, last nite :p

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I heard Prodigy were far better than Oasis. First time in years that I didn't go, kinda regretting it tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭cazze

What a shambles the whole thing was !

1. the close the bar at the top of the hill during the Prodigys set forcing thousands to make their way down to the bottom bars causing shoving and mini crushes in the process

2.i have been to slane other years and never have i seen it so packed
    would this have anything to do with no tickets been checked
    i seen a lot of touts on O connell street selling those internet printoff tickets
    whos to say they werent just mass photocopies
    it wouldnt have mattered any way but this could have led to a serious incident due to overcrowding

3 Dublin bus
    What a joke a lot of rude bus drivers(whats new)
    i will say our driver in the end was a nice guy

4 MCD have a lot of questions to answer for yesterdays shambles

5 Oasis for okay
    sound was pretty good pity there was'nt more crowd interaction
    a longer encore would have been nice
    but hey its not a bruce springsteen gig is it !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Went to Slane the year Bryan Adams and Moby played due to free tickets, getting in was a disaster...I remember endless walking down some country rd just to get there, the gig was good enough but when Bryan Adams came on I made a bolt for the back of the crowd so I was leading the pack and onto one of the first busses and I still wasnt home till 3 or 4.

It's a shambles of a venue, what is so special about the place I'll never know, give me the flat fields of Kildare anyday ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Sounds no different to any other year at Slane tbh.

I had to do the same when the Chilli played. Suck it up, it's part of the experience.

Truth. This was my first slane and it was an absolute cracker, yeah the walk was a bastard but as Xavi said, its all part of the experience, **** it, suck it up and get on with it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement