Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your daily forecasts from Boards.ie weather forum (NO CHAT)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭paulhac

Lucky you M.T.! You can always drink Canada Dry if it gets too hot!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Tuesday, 21 July, 2009

TODAY will be wet to start almost everywhere in Ireland, and improvement will be gradual at best, but by afternoon there could be some sunshine in the southwest. The moderate to heavy rain (with some potential for thunder in the southeast) already falling should taper off to somewhat lighter rain or drizzle by mid-day, but a few heavier thundershowers are possible once that happens, so there could be a second round of heavier rain. Winds are rising this morning and may reach 25-35 mph near the southeast coasts, but the west coast will see rather light winds and inland it won't be too windy either. Highs today will reach about 18 C for most, perhaps 20 C in some inland parts of the southwest. Rainfalls today should average 20-30 mms. There could be some flooding in counties near Carlow, Kilkenny and Waterford.

TONIGHT will be breezy and mild and there could be one or two heavy showers or thundershowers around, but fog may be the more widespread problem for travellers. Lows will be 12 to 14 C and winds will average SSW 10-20 mph with some higher gusts.

WEDNESDAY will be partly cloudy and rather warm with potential for heavy showers or thunderstorms especially in west-central regions towards Ulster. Highs will be about 20-22 C and winds will average 15-20 mph from the SW.

THURSDAY will be mostly cloudy with showers or longer periods of rain, lows near 13 C and highs near 18 C.

FRIDAY will become breezy and partly cloudy as somewhat cooler air moves in. The temperature range will be 10 to 16 C on average.

SATURDAY is looking fairly good from this distance, partly cloudy with showers mainly in the northwest towards Ulster. Highs may be close to 20 C again.

SUNDAY is looking windy and possibly quite showery, with highs near 19 C.

NEXT WEEK does look a bit warmer on average, and although no heat waves are indicated, there is some room for change that does not rule out a significant warm spell before July ends.

As I may be away on holiday for about a week, your daily forecasts may be provided by one or two other forum members, and I'll let you know what kind of weather we had here at the end of the week away, but it is looking like a hot, dry spell ahead for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭secman

Enjoy the well earned break MT

Secman

UPDATE _ Tuesday, 1 p.m.

Rain has pushed well to the north and with some sunny intervals across the south and eventually central counties this afternoon, highs could now reach perhaps 22 C in some parts. Watch for possible development of heavier showers or local thundershowers from about inland county Kerry to perhaps Laois in the south this afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 obrienmichael

It's Windy but sunny here in North Tipperary at the moment after the haevy rain this morning. Making for a nice day. Enjoy the break M.T look forward to your forecasts after your holidays. :)

• Advertisement

UPDATE _ Tuesday, 7:30 p.m.

Thanks to all, I will probably post again your time 0500 but then you may find other contributors here, if I succeed in finding anyone who is not also taking their holidays this week.

It appears that Galway is the lucky winner (again) of the heavy shower sweepstakes. There are a few other clusters of fairly heavy showers around the southern counties, but the east is looking reasonably dry for the evening.

Anyone reading this who would like to make a few forecasts now to about 29 July, give me a shout. I will post a general appeal too. Not that anything terrible will happen if the thread goes quiet for a week, I'm looking forward to a break of course, but in terms of forecasting, the more interesting weather is yet to come, with the autumn storm season (or has that already started, they ask?) ... oh yes, by the way, sunny and very hot here, could see a max near 33 C at my location and towards 38-40 C in the interior of B.C. where forest fires have become a big issue (contained at the moment thanks to the light winds past two days).

Wednesday, 22 July, 2009

Briefly, TODAY will start out partly cloudy and dry for most, but heavy showers and the odd thundershower may develop in the afternoon especially west and north, highs 20 - 22 C.

TONIGHT cloudy with clear periods, lows near 11 C.

THURSDAY cloudy with showers, periods of rain developing, highs 17-19 C.

FRIDAY, partly cloudy, breezy, cooler, 17 C.

SATURDAY, pleasant, some sun, highs near 19 C.

SUNDAY, rain spreading across most regions, heavy at times west, 18 C.

Back in about a week, gone fishing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

I will be doing the daily updates in place of MT whilst he is on his holidays. BB will also be absent for the next week. Bare in mind days 4 and 5 always carry a health warning! :)

UPDATE Wednesday 22nd

Showers in the East and Northeast dieing out this evening and early tonight to leave a mostly dry night. Temperatures 10 - 14C.

Tomorrow, Thursday 23rd

Dry morning in the East -Widespread showers, some heavy with scattered thunderstorms in the West and South becoming widespread late morning, early afternoon. Most will be slow moving and heavy with local downpours. Showers dieing out later tomorrow evening. Temperatures ranging 16 - 19C.

Becoming dry and clear again tomorrow night but cooler - minimum temperatures 7 - 9C. Light Southwesterly Wind.

Friday 24th

Scattered showers though good sunny spells aswell. Showers lighter and not as frequent as Thursday. Gentle Northwesterly wind. Temperatures 14 - 18C. Warmest in the South. Dry overnight.

Saturday 25th

Bright start and a mostly dry and fine day but cloud increasing from the West with light rain there by evening. Temperatures up a bit 17 - 20C. Southerly winds picking up strength through the day with gales possible in the Southwest by evening.

Rain becoming widespread, persistent and heavy on Saturday night and becoming increasingly windy. Temperatures probrably no lower then 12 or 13C

Sunday

Heavy and persistent rain. Some local flooding possible. Temp 15 - 18C. Strong or Gale force westerly winds nationwide - very autuminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

NP

UPDATE Thursday 23rd

Heavy showers and thunderstorms, particularly in the Eastern half of the country, continuing this evening but dieing out early tonight to leave a mostly dry and calm night. Minimum temperatures 8 - 10C.

Tomorrow, Friday 24th

Starting dry. Convection getting going in the afternoon with some sharp showers in the midlands and east. The west will have a dryer day with good sunny spells. Dieing out again tomorrow evening to leave a dry night..

Temperatures 16 - 18C.

Saturday 25th

A mostly dry day with just the odd scattered shower but cloud increasing from the Southwest through the day. Winds picking up in the evening in the south and west. Temperatures 16 - 18C.

Saturday night will see rain crossing the country. Persistent and heavy with strong or gale force southwesterly winds. A clearence will follow during Sunday morning. A muggy night. Temperatures no lower then 13 - 15C.

Sunday 26th

Rain at first clearing through the morning to leave a dry day with just a couple of showers in the northwest. It will be generally cloudy with just a few bright spells now and again. Winds easing through the day. Max temperatures 14 - 17C.

Monday

Mostly dry apart from some showers in the west and north. Fresh westerly wind. Max temperatures 14 - 17C.

• Advertisement

Update Saturday 25th

A dry evening with cloud increasing from the West. Rain will spread across the country tonight. Mostly moderate but the odd heavy burst aswell. Winds also strengthening possibly reaching gale force in the west and north west later. Temperatures overnight 11 - 13C.

Sunday 26th

Rain clearing eastward in the morning to leave a day with sunny spells and occasional, mostly light showers. Some heavier showers in the northwest may merge to give a longer period of rain here. Mostly dry elsewhere. Winds moderate Southwesterly. Temps 16 - 19C. Some scattered light showers continuing Sunday night but mostly dry.

Monday 27th

Good dry and bright intervals but occasional mostly light showers. Light to moderate westerly wind. Max temperature 18C.

Tuesday 28th

A repeat of Monday really. Sunny intervals and showers. However heavy rain will push into the southwest by evening moving countrywide overnight. Strengthening southwest wind. Wet and windy overnight. Max Temperatures 16 - 18C.

Wednesday 29th

Sunny spells and heavy showers with local downpours and thunder. Strong westerly wind will take the edge off the temperatures. Max 14 - 16C.

Typical Irish summer weather really...No sign of things settling down for the forseeable future.

Update Tuesday 28th

Rain gradually clearing from the Northwest this evening. Becoming mostly dry overnight but rain continuing in the Southeast corner. Min temperatures tonight 8 - 12C. Light southwesterly winds.

Tomorrow Wednesday

Starting dry but showery outbreaks of rain with thundertorms, especially in the East, South, and Midlands developing through the day. These could be intense in the evening with a risk of flash flooding. Showers elsewhere but probrably not as heavy.

Light westerly wind. Max temps 17C.

Showers or longer spells of rain dying away tomorrow night to leave a mostly dry night with clear spells and light winds. Min 7 - 9C.

Thursday

Some scattered light showers mainly in the west. Dry for the most part. Cloud increasing from the southwest through the day. Max temperatures 15 - 17C.

Thursday night will see rain spread across the country from the southwest. Mostly light to moderate rain. A strengthening southerly wind. Gales in the southwest. Min 9 - 11C.

Friday

A wet, dull day. Rain turning heavy through Friday but gradually clearing Eastward through the evening. The main story will be the wind - strong or gale force westerly winds especially in the West and Northwest. Could be very rough on Northwest coastal waters during Friday evening.

Max just 12 - 14C.

Turning dry overnight but strong westerly winds persisting in the North of the country. Min 8 - 11C.

Saturday

Saturday looks like being a dry and bright day with variable cloud and light westerly breeze. A good day overall. Max 16 or 17C.

Hello, I just popped in to say thanks to Darkman2 for taking on the forecasting for the past week ... we have had some extreme heat here in British Columbia with highs the past few days up around 35 C, even higher in a few spots, and not the usual low humidity we get with our heat waves, but dew points close to 20 C.

This is all contributing to our decision to add on a few more days of "time away" because the heat is more tolerable near a cool mountain lake than in the city where we live. Just happened to have access to the internet "tonight" (it is past midnight but still about 27 C outside). I have not been following the weather you've been having, but I did scroll through the forecasts, and it seems that we should be sharing this heat a little more fairly.

At least, I am in favour of this and will have a word with the weather gods if they materialize at any point, possibly we could do a trade or at least a blend.

So, if Darkman2 wouldn't mind holding the fort for a couple more days, I hope to have something posted for the weekend. -- MTC

UPDATE _ Thursday, 9:45 pm

Hello again, I am just getting my head back into the question of Irish weather, and if I feel up to the task I may put a forecast up around 0600, unless I find one here anyway.

We have had quite an event here in British Columbia with some all-time, not just daily or even monthly but all the data on record, temperatures exceeded yesterday (Wed 29th) such as 34 C at Vancouver airport, which is closer to the water than most of the city, 38 C at a suburban Vancouver station and 41 C at a place far up the coast from Vancouver called Bella Coola, where I'm sure a cooler would have gone down very nicely (their record over a century previous was 38 C).

Today has been a couple of degrees cooler because there's a slight movement inland of the marine layer but I can't really call it a sea-breeze. Anyway, I am not right in the middle of this myself as we are some distance off to the east, it has been pretty hot here as well but we are up higher and it is more normal to see temperatures in the 30s in any case.

At any rate, I'm sure a little of this would go over well for a rainy, cloudy summer in Ireland but believe me, you're better off with what you've got, this is way too hot for most people, it's not like further east where many have air conditioning, quite often you would only need that here on two or three days a summer, but this has been more than a week of extreme heat now.

Anyway, will be back with a forecast of some sort if I can get back on the computer here this evening. In any case, will be back home by the weekend, so normal service should resume. Thanks again to Darkman2.

Friday, 31 July, 2009

The horror, the horror ... as the lows just keep on coming, riding a depressed jet stream across the Atlantic and dumping their load of moisture on Ireland.

TODAY will see bouts of heavy rain spreading gradually from southwest to northeast, and eventually most places should record about 25 mms or an inch of rain, although perhaps a little less in some eastern sections. If it's not already raining, it will be by about 0900 or so. A rather strong SE to S wind of about 20-35 mph will add a somewhat raw feel as highs are likely to stall at about 16 or 17 C.

TONIGHT could see some clearing especially in the western half of Ireland although cloud may linger well after the rain lets up. Lows will be about 9 or 10 C in a 20-30 mph westerly wind.

SATURDAY could have some brighter intervals to start, then another period of heavy showers, some thundery, will develop from west to east around late morning to mid-day. Highs will reach 17 C or so, with a westerly breeze of 15-25 mph (stronger at times off the northwest coast).

SUNDAY looks to be cloudy with intermittent light rain or drizzle, and possibly a period of heavier rain too, more about that as we get closer to the event. Lows will be near 11 C and highs about 15 to 17 C.

MONDAY should continue cloudy with occasional rain, rather humid as slightly warmer air arrives, so possibly becoming foggy at times near the south coast especially, and temperatures generally 12 to 19 C.

TUESDAY may bring some heavy showers as a rather strong frontal system develops near the southeast coast.

Anyone wanting heat and sunshine, head this way (there may be closer options), as weather patterns seem locked in for at least another week or so; after that, I could mention some faint hope of warmer and sunnier conditions for Ireland, at least warmer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭weepee

Friday 7am:

Dull and overcast 18c feels like 14 or 15, think the summer ended in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

weepee wrote: »
    Friday 7am:

Dull and overcast 18c feels like 14 or 15, think the summer ended in June.

You guys might want to check this out.

This weather we're having now was predicted as far back as March!!

Look under Summary report.

https://www.predictweather.co.nz/ass...home.php?id=68

September will be the best month they say.

Big Tone, Im getting a 'not found' at the link you provided. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭croker95

weepee wrote: »
    Big Tone, Im getting a 'not found' at the link you provided. :(

I think this was featured on the Ray Darcy show last March/April
    This is what it says:

SUMMER REPORT
    Summer may be fairly wet over some months but not as bad as last year. There may be more sunshine this year, with temperatures not all that high. On the whole consistently warmer days may not arrive for most until later in the season, probably in the start of and then after June.
    For the rest of summer:
    JUNE, many areas dry for the first fortnight over most of the country and temperatures above 20degC, unsettled in second half.
    JULY, a mainly wet month for all. Parts of the north, west and east have chances of dry days only between 12th-17th.
    AUGUST, another wet month for all, with the east the chance of dry windows 4th-9th and 21st-25th and the SOUTH some sun 25th-30th.
    SEPTEMBER, likely to be the warmest and most summery month for all, with best of summer weather between 6th-17th for the whole country.

So for all; time to plan holidays and picnics may be:
    In north: Sept 7th-22nd, in west:: Sept, 4th-21st, in east: Sept 7th-23rd and 27th-30th, and in south: Sept 6th-17th.

Hmmm, June and September are always good, with a connection to the start and finish of the Hurricane season in the central Atlantic.

That said, everything in between, ie, July and August, is usually predictable also Im afraid. :)

• Advertisement

UPDATE _ Friday, 11 p.m.

No change in forecast above, rain is now pretty much done for a while except along the east coast where it should end in a few more hours ... and as to the weather here, after the two hottest days ever recorded at most stations in this region, today was slightly cooler due mainly to a stronger sea breeze, so sunny and about 28 C instead of mid-30s. No cooling to speak of inside most homes (air conditioning not very commonly used here as it is further east), for example I am sweating away typing this inside at 28 C.

Oh well, time for a few cold ones now. ;)

Oh yes, see Darkman's thread about some possibly warmer conditions starting up near the end of next week.

Saturday, 1st of August, 2009

TODAY will start out with a few sunny intervals in eastern counties but heavy and somewhat squally showers are quickly advancing from the western counties at present (0720h) to reach central Ireland by about 0900 and the east coast probably around 10 a.m. ... when these arrive, they will be quite variable from place to place but locally quite heavy and even thundery; there could also be some hail, and highest temperatures will be 16 or 17 C. Winds will increase again to about W 25-40 mph. It will be particularly windy over the coastal parts of Mayo and Donegal as well as any higher terrain in most of Ireland. In those locations, some gusts could reach 50 mph.

There might be some improvement later on in the southwest and south coastal regions, perhaps the late afternoon and evening will turn out a bit more pleasant for outdoor activities.

TONIGHT should see a clearing interval followed by a gradual increase in cloud towards morning. Lows will reach 7-9 C in most places, about 10-13 C in the southwest due to the earlier cloud.

SUNDAY will start out dry, if cloudy, then rain will develop as winds become stronger from the south. It could be quite a heavy and thundery rain in some parts by late afternoon and evening. Highs will reach 18 C or thereabouts.

MONDAY will also feature some strong SW winds and locally heavy showers and thunderstorms. This might prove to be quite a stormy day, watch for updates. The temperature range will be about 12 to 19 C.

TUESDAY will become more variable with some chance of a few sunny intervals, but also the strong risk of showers and more thundershowers later. Once again, it will be slightly on the warm and humid side with highs perhaps in the 20 C range.

LATER in the WEEK, the signals are somewhat mixed, there could be an upward temperature trend but it may be more difficult to get rid of all the cloud despite some high pressure ridging in from around the Azores; the problem is that weak low pressure over southern England could create a frontal zone that keeps cloud over at least southeast Ireland much of this period. So the prospects are mixed for a warming trend, it might be more noticeable towards the west coast and in parts of the north not exposed to a northeast sea breeze at least.

More later, perhaps if any other boards weather enthusiasts feel like pinpointing some heavier showers or stronger winds as they develop.

10pm:

Greater Belfast Area, dry, winds decreasing, 15c.

Sunday, 2nd of August, 2009

TODAY will be cloudy with light and intermittent rain spreading slowly across Ireland once again from southwest to northeast. This could become steadier rain at times, but low cloud may also lead to fog and mist especially over hills and in the south coastal districts. Winds will slowly pick up also to reach about 20-30 mph at times from the south, with stronger near-gale conditions off the west coast. Highs will be about 17 or 18 C.

TONIGHT is likely to remain foggy in places, misty or at least cloudy elsewhere, with showery rain continuing, and possibly an isolated thundershower. Lows will be about 12 to 14 C.

MONDAY will turn somewhat warmer and quite humid with periods of heavy rain developing, and risk of some thunderstorms especially in the southwest to central counties towards late afternoon and evening. There may be a severe storm risk with this, watch for updates. Despite all that, temperatures will approach 20 C and could hit around 22 C in the inland southwest, and winds will become quite strong from the south veering to SSW 25-40 mph with possible higher gusts.

The unsettled weather will shift further northeast by evening and through Monday night with lows near 14 C.

TUESDAY could turn out quite variable in sky conditions as some sunny intervals develop, still in a warm SSW flow of 20-30 mph, but with various lines of showers and a few thundershowers developing rapidly in western counties and spreading northeast at intervals, so that overall it could be quite a wet day for the west and north. Highs will be around 20 or 21 C.

WEDNESDAY will see more showers and local thunderstorms with gusty SW to W winds as a slight cooling trend develops, but this will be more noticeable in Donegal and Mayo. There will also be some limited sunny intervals between lines of showers advancing from west to east; overall, highs should stay close to 20 C trending to 16 C in the far north.

If the overall rainfall Sunday to Wednesday is of interest, I would say the potential looks like this -- 25 to 50 mms in total for most locations, but quite variable both place to place and day to day. One or two places could see even more than 50 mms but then again you could luck out and have only 10-15 mms all told. The "over/under" figure would be about 30 mms over the four days.

LATER in the WEEK, the general trend is towards cloud in the southeast, more chance of some clear intervals and sunshine in the northwest, but the risk of rain either moderate or low for Ireland; the southeast could be brushed at times by rain spreading north from France into southern England, Wales and the Irish Sea. Highs could edge upwards especially with any sunshine to about 22-23 C.

Disclaimer -- Boards.ie forecasts are presented as regularly as possible for your information and entertainment, but as with all non-official forecasts, should be used with appropriate caution and not for any kind of aviation or other high-risk activity such as sailing or mountain trekking. The reason for this disclaimer is not to suggest any likelihood of inaccuracy but to give you reasonable notice that the forecasts cannot be continuously maintained, nor applied to more specific forecast requirements for which route or location forecasts can be commercially obtained elsewhere; the main purpose of the forecasts here is simply to give readers a source for timely general outlooks but there is no implied or extant legal obligation upon boards.ie or the individuals concerned, should there be perceived or even actual errors in forecasts obtained here. No important decisions should be made solely on the basis of information herein. Be aware that this is a standard disclaimer for all forecasting products of this type. This disclaimer applies on all past and future occasions and will be referenced hereafter as "disclaimer see 2 Aug 09 post approx 0545h."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 obrienmichael

Just listened to the bbc weekly forecast they said that the Azoures high may start to make an appearence over Ireland and the UK by the end of next weekend. Also warm air from the continent will start to push into the Southeast of England durning this week with tempetures reaching 27 degrees but with the rest of the UK staying in the high teens. Fingers crossed that this warm air moves up over Ireland. :cool:

Sh1t, its clammy enough today tho.

UPDATE _ Sunday, 2 August _ 8:30 p.m.

Tomorrow continues to look very interesting weather-wise. A wedge of warmer, very humid air will move up from the southwest and cross Ireland between 6 p.m. and midnight. The upper level dynamics are not intense but there should be enough frontal lift available to set off some heavier rain if not thunderstorms. The forecast above remains in place for now, further updates with the morning outlook.

When I say upper dynamics are not intense, I mean that a few ingredients that are associated with severe storms are absent. The upper level winds are probably strong enough, but there is little indication of shear (turning winds aloft) to start rotation of the cells. Indications of actual turning (known as vorticity) are weak. The air mass parameters are fairly good (for those familiar with the model guidance, the thickness above 564 dm is a good indicator). Certainly, the potential in this overall set-up will be better made available with the secondary frontal events to follow on Tuesday and Wednesday. So it looks like being an active period of weather this week.

Just to finish up today, the weather here in Vancouver, Canada continues sunny and hot. We have had about ten days now with highs well above normal to record-breaking hot, and sunshine. Conditions are very, very dry on the ground here, the lawns are basically dormant and baked to a golden brown colour. This is not totally unusual around here, just a bit more intense than usual. We tend to get the rain back in the mix after mid-August, this summer drought is often a six-week affair from about July 10 to August 20.
    Today's high will be near 30 C. There have been severe thunderstorms the past two days a little further east into central B.C. and Alberta. It is much cooler in almost all other parts of southern Canada too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Constant heavy rain here in north Wexford since 6pm, no wind and getting stuffy.

Monday, 3 August, 2009

TODAY will be mostly cloudy with periods of rain returning gradually from west to east. It will begin to feel warmer with high humidity, and there may be some fog or mist near the south coast and over some hills at times. Watch for updates about any risk of heavier showers or thunderstorms, these may develop late in the day especially across the southwest. Highs today will be generally 19-21 C. Winds will become rather gusty at times, SSW 20-35 mph.

TONIGHT, the heavier showers and isolated thunderstorms will gradually weaken and move through eastern Ireland around midnight, then it could clear somewhat before daybreak, with warm SW winds and lows only 14-15 C.

TUESDAY will feature some gusty S to SSW winds, brief sunny intervals, sharp showers or even thunderstorms at times becoming widespread during the mid-day and afternoon hours, and highs near 21 C. It will feel quite warm with the humidity levels up around 70%.

WEDNESDAY will also be warm, slightly unsettled but there could be longer sunny intervals as well, as the wind gradually turns more SW'ly. Lows of about 14 C will be followed by highs near 21 C.

THURSDAY and FRIDAY are looking fairly settled with intervals of cloud and sun during the day, and highs around 18-20 C. Rain may spread across the nearby Irish Sea and so there may be more cloud in the southeast at times, but most of this rain is likely to head towards the U.K. rather than Ireland.

NEXT WEEKEND, the current signals are mixed, and it may prove to be fairly settled as well with at least some sunshine each day and highs near 20 C.

• Advertisement

Cranium, does a favour.

At the bottom of your posts do a quick local forecast of whats happening in your part of Canada.

Advertisement