Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Lidl/Aldi Sat box info

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭CHW

My advice, unplug the sky box,,,throw it in the wheelie bin,,,,

Ahem, be sure to get the most out of your PRF contribution, there must be some useful material salvagable from a Sky box (?).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

My advice, unplug the sky box,,,throw it in the wheelie bin,,,,go out and buy yourself any other brand of Satellite TV receiver and plug it into Your TV and the cable from the sky dish and scan Astra2/ Eurobird and you will get approx 350 channels ,,some repeats I admit but all free to air channels will be viewable ,,,,easy to set up and no need for codes etc etc

Thanks steve can you rec a system and where I would buy I am living in drogheda.

Will I get film and sports channels with it. Is there a way to see a list of what I will get.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭medoc

hi sorry if this has already been discussed further up the thread (but a lack of any broadband limits my time online :mad: ) . Is it possible to update the software over the air or via download online. My stb is about 4 years old and I was wondering if any updates are available or any improvement on what i already have

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Lossy

muincav wrote: »
    Sorry to barge in on this thread lads, but if anyone out there has a remote for the Silvercrest sl65 going spare I would gladly take it as mine seems to have died....thanks all..:o

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5347878/c_1/1|category_root|Home+entertainment+and+sat+nav|12160455/c_2/2|cat_12160455|Electrical+accessories|12160456/c_3/3|cat_12160456|Television+and+audio+remote+controls|12160474.htm

This worked for me when my SL65 remote stopped working.
    Used a comag satellite code from the manual and it worked fine.
    It responds much quicker than the original remote too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 oneeyedman

Could you post the remote code no here please - i have a 1 for all controller and could never get it to talk to the silvercrest/comag- be 1 less yoke to fall down the back of the couch .....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

Lossy wrote: »
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5347878/c_1/1|category_root|Home+entertainment+and+sat+nav|12160455/c_2/2|cat_12160455|Electrical+accessories|12160456/c_3/3|cat_12160456|Television+and+audio+remote+controls|12160474.htm

This worked for me when my SL65 remote stopped working.
    Used a comag satellite code from the manual and it worked fine.
    It responds much quicker than the original remote too.

Got it sorted, but thanks anyway....seems there was a bad connection with the F-connector which was causing the problem....and it is working fine now. I even cadged a sky box of my in laws that they were'nt using and think I will buy a quad lnb and have it in another room....every cloud....lol..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4 hadmad

i have just baught a slivercrest sl 65 from a mate for 25euro only thing is i need a remote for it as his kid drop it down the bog and his wife tryed to dry it but needless to say its f
    any were i could get one im in tallaght

cheers paul

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭stevethesatguy

I would get a generic one for all, should work pretty well

thanks mate i got from argos thats i found early in thread works grand just trying to find the satlite A19e im on hotbird at the moment will the twin lnb work with the mini dish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 dwpg83

vas guy,
    bought this system 2 years ago. great little thing it is. very easy to assemble and mount. you shouldnt find any problems. the only issue i have is that, with the wind in this country, especially in your part of the world, it might blow out of alignment and the picture pixelate. i resolved this with some cable ties and a champagne cork!
    very easy to move between satellite as it has an in built signal meter! i found about 4 satellites in the space of 5 minutes.. if you can manage to find 28 degrees east (which is the one sky uses) you will get lots of free stuff such as all bbcs, including 3, 4 and channel 4, all itv regions...
    enjoy assembly and playing around!

• Advertisement

you need to be on 19.2 e for the update do you not i have a mini dish up allready just wanted will twin lnb work with this

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭getcover

Sorry if this has been asked/answered before, but is there any way you can add a TV channel to your list without having to do a full scan, and then deleting all the channel's you don't want?
    I want to add that French movie channel, CineMoi, but don't want to have to spend an hour getting rid of the huge list of sh*te I'll get with a full scan.

Thanks for any advice...

I can't remember exactly how to add just one channel off the top of my head, but the easiest way is to scan the transponder the channel you want is on, then delete the few others that it finds.

You need to go into the installation menu, select a TP scan, select your satellite, then the transponder to scan (11546 H 27500 for the channel you asked for), and then move down to scan the TP. Then delete the ones you don't want after the scan.

getcover wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked/answered before, but is there any way you can add a TV channel to your list without having to do a full scan, and then deleting all the channel's you don't want?
    I want to add that French movie channel, CineMoi, but don't want to have to spend an hour getting rid of the huge list of sh*te I'll get with a full scan.

Thanks for any advice...

I actually think it is going to encrypted soon and only available as part of a Sky package....
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055497773

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Myhairspray

Is this still a viable option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Recession Bust

My apoligies if this is a stupid question but can anybody help me. I bought a lidl satelitte about 3 weeks ago, got it all set up and it is picking up Astra 28.2 E, I have all the BBC's, ITV's etc but the only problem is I wanted to get Channel 4, E4, More 4 and they don't seem to be listed. The list of channels only goes up to 99 channels but a mates automatically had 100's and he bought exactly the same one. Is there something simple I can do.

Do an autoscan of 28E ("menu" on remote>installation>autoscan or similar, then select your satellite, and then scan).

This will find all channels, so you might want to select only to display the Free ones (not "ALL").

It's possible to add channels individually, but since it's your first time, better to do a full scan and delete what you don't want. Just be sure there are no kids about as there are some slappers shaking it on sofas on some of them, even at this time of the day; never anything too h/c, but still!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Recession Bust

Thanks, I'll give it a shot and let you know how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭micratoyota

Hi can someone with the Lidl help me. I had the system set to Astra 28e but I must have done something wrong as now every time I turn it off and on again I am in "All Satellites" I have tried everything so much so that I think I might have messed up. Please check this in Antenna Setup is LNB Universal. 22K off. DiSEqC 1.0 DiSEqC Switch disabled Positioner None. Polarity H/V How do I get it to stay on Astra 28. :confused: I can't find my instruction book. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Blue850

Mine does that too, I set the start up channel to BBC4 in the morning for CeeBeeBies for my son and it finds it under All Satellites, if I turn off the start up channel option, it turns onto whatever the last channel you were watching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭micratoyota

Thanks, I now have another problem. How do I match up the TP Index with the TP Frequency in the Antenna set up menu. Where can i find an Index to go with the frequencies. When I enter a frequency the TP index moves and sometimes it deleates channels that I have already saved (no signal) Thats what I get for messing.:confused::eek:

Thanks, I now have another problem. How do I match up the TP Index with the TP Frequency in the Antenna set up menu. Where can i find an Index to go with the frequencies. When I enter a frequency the TP index moves and sometimes it deleates channels that I have already saved (no signal) Thats what I get for messing.:confused::eek:

This seems to be a fault with the newer sl65 boxes as the old ones were fine-what I do is if I need to scan for a channel with a frequency which allready exists -for example if you want to scan 10773 h then change the freq to 10772 and this should not delet channels on the frequency. Apart from that I cant help. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 DrHector

I am trying to install a silvercrest satellite system that my dad bought last year in lidl.

I have followed the instructions to the book and taken advice from the posts here. My satellite is facing south at 20* elevation and the satellite finder(sat-beeper) is connected between the LNB and the receiver(powered on).

However the sat-beeper is not beeping! I have moved the satellite postion slowly towards east and adjusted elevation, but still nothing!

Is my system faulty, am I doing something wrong?

all help appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Blue850

Try checking the earpiece on an Ipod etc to see if its working. The finder should hum as soon as its receiving power.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 DrHector

thanks for quick reply,

the earpiece is workin fine, but no noise at all coming from finder. Have checked all connections, so maybe the beeper is faulty?

Is there another way to find the right positioning for the dish?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

DrHector wrote: »

If you want to tune into Astra satelites, then you point the receiver towards the sun at about 11 am in the morning with the bar horizontal, you will not be far out. Use the ear piece to get it closer, then use the SysInfo button (bottom left) when tuned into a station to fine tune. Try every possible adjustment, a little at a time.

[The earth turns 4 degrees per minute, 30 degress east is 2 hours earlier than noon GMT or 11 am summer time.]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

The earth turns 4 degrees per minute, 30 degress east is 2 hours earlier than noon GMT or 11 am summer time.

4 deg per min = 260 deg per hour = 2880 deg per day ?

I would have thought it was 0.25 deg per min ?

0.25 x 60 x 24 = 360

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    4 deg per min = 260 deg per hour = 2880 deg per day ?

I would have thought it was 0.25 deg per min ?

0.25 x 60 x 24 = 360

There are 24 hours per revolution, or 360 degrees per 24 hours, 15 degrees per hour, or 15/60 degrees per minute, or 4 minutes of arc per minute of time. I did not explain myself well, but the Astra satellites are towards the sun at 10 am GMT and 11 am summer time. That was correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Buffer

DrHector wrote: »

Your sat receiver should also have a menu option to display signal strength, etc. It's much less convenient than a sat finder, since it requires one person outside at the dish and another person inside at the TV, but it might give you some indication of life.

Make sure you have the elevation set correctly -- it's just as important as the direction. If 20 degrees is what you need, check it by looking at the elevation markings on the dish mounting. A common mistake is to aim the bar on which the LNB is mounted up into the sky, at an elevation of what you expect. With most dish designs, in Ireland the bar will be approximately horizontal, actually pointing slightly to the ground.

Buffer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

The camping sat systems are back in stock in Lidl from the 23rd. See here.

I know these are no longer the great value for money systems they once were, but can still be very useful to the satellite TV novice.

I still get some good use out of mine. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement