Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Lidl/Aldi Sat box info

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭biologikal

I forgot to mention about editing/deleting - the numbers you need to key in on the remote to access the menu functions (1, 5, 6) are hinted at the bottom of the screen. Other functions are available also.

Setanta Sports Ireland is on 28E: http://www.flysat.com/sky.php

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I have one of the Lidl sat systems too but lucklily I didn;t have to endure the setup procedure as there was an old sky digital dish on the wall of the house (no box though) and I just 'plugged and played' so I now have the Lidl dish and LNB sitting there. I'm trying to improve my german so I'm seriously tempted to mount it beside the 28E dish and point it at 19.2E but how can I feed this into the same Lidl box? Is that even possible without manually (un)plugging coax cables the whole time?

Also, any idea if and when RTE etc. will make an appearance on FTA 28E?

Where can I get a complete listing of all FTA english/german language channels on 28E? Edit: Found answer in someone's sig!

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

biologikal wrote: »
    Lidl LNBs have always been twins, as far as I know, so maybe no need to buy.

Irrelevant to the current thread, I know but the first Lidl kit I bought, about 4 years ago, had a single LNB, I still have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

murphaph wrote: »
    but how can I feed this into the same Lidl box? Is that even possible without manually (un)plugging coax cables the whole time?

Yep a two way Diseq switch will do this

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Tony wrote: »
    Yep a two way Diseq switch will do this
    Thanks Tony. Any suggestions for a source of said switch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭micratoyota

I have one of the Lidl sat systems too but lucklily I didn;t have to endure the setup procedure as there was an old sky digital dish on the wall of the house (no box though) and I just 'plugged and played' so I now have the Lidl dish and LNB sitting there. I'm trying to improve my german so I'm seriously tempted to mount it beside the 28E dish and point it at 19.2E but how can I feed this into the same Lidl box? Is that even possible without manually (un)plugging coax cables the whole time?

Also, any idea if and when RTE etc. will make an appearance on FTA 28E?

Where can I get a complete listing of all FTA english/german language channels on 28E? Edit: Found answer in someone's sig!

Cheers.
    I too would love to know the progress made in bringing RTE etc. to FTA I am also interested in Channel 5

I'd love to but advertsing is quite rightly not allowed here :)

Thanks Tony. Any suggestions for a source of said switch?

I too would love to know the progress made in bringing RTE etc. to FTA I am also interested in Channel 5

RTE: Seriously, don't hold your breath. We might get a FTA RTE "International" channel, with purely homegrown programming sometime next year. Stick with the analogue for the next few years, or wait to see what kind of receiver you'll need for terrestrial digital when it's officially launched.

C5: Reports suggest there may be something sorted before the end of October.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭micratoyota

RTE: Seriously, don't hold your breath. We might get a FTA RTE "International" channel, with purely homegrown programming sometime next year. Stick with the analogue for the next few years, or wait to see what kind of receiver you'll need for terrestrial digital when it's officially launched.

C5: Reports suggest there may be something sorted before the end of October.
    Thanks for info

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Can this system be tuned into a tv that doesn't have an a/v button?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 steamgauge

Hello people - I've also purchased a Silvercrest universal remote at Lidle, but here in Portugal, and of course the manual does not include English. My Portuguese isn't bad but sometimes I miss out on the nuances of the language.
    Would someone please email me a scanned English version of the manual, payment is not an issue here. I would really apreciate it.

I've tried very diligently to find a download on the web but the generic company behind Silvercrest doesn't seem to provide this facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭finbarrk

It's a portable tv that has a scart socket but I don't see any a/v button on the remote. I suppose I'll just have to try it out and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 market_garden

I recently bought the Silvercrest satellite system in Lidl. I notice in the Instruction Manual that it says the antenna should be grounded by an expert. Anyone know how this would be done or indeed if this is actually necessary?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 steamgauge

Hello Market_Garden,
    The dish should be grounded for signal noise reasons, I think that "by an expert" means that the Dish and not the mounting should be grounded.To ground the dish properly usually means drilling a hole somewhere at the rim of the antenna, scraping away the epoxy paint to give a good connection to the grounding screw and to repaint afterwards, just to keep the corrosion at bay.
    In the UK where satellite signals are strong (Astra II) grounding for signal reasons isn't so important, however,it should be done for storm safety reasons but grounding the mounting brackets would probably sufice in this case.
    Steamgauge

steamgauge wrote: »
    "by an expert" means that the Dish and not the mounting should be grounded.

How exactly would that be achieved since the dish is bolted to the mount? I've never heard of grounding for signal reasons and doing this for safety reasons is dubious at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Puggy

Tony wrote: »
    How exactly would that be achieved since the dish is bolted to the mount? I've never heard of grounding for signal reasons and doing this for safety reasons is dubious at best.

Any mast/antenna etc on an exposed part of a building must be grounded or more correctly bonded to earth to prevent:

a) A person being electrocuted by touching two metal objects, which may have different voltages between them. In this case an example could be a satellite dish and an aerial mast or other metal object.

b) Lightening being conducted into the building by a cable (in this case your satellite coaxial cable).

I have my mmds cable (which was never bonded by ntl) and three satellite cables terminated inside the attic. There are f couplers with termination points for an earth or bonding cable. These are joined together and connected to an earth.

Additionally the brackets, masts, and dish motor have bonding clips attached. The motor has a specific terminal to do this, again these are all connected together and brought to an earth.

Take a look in your hot press, if you have copper pipes you should be able to see a cable joining (or bonding) them together. Look under the kitchen sink (assuming it is metal) again you should see a cable (earth) connection to it.

If your sink in the bathroom has two separate taps, hot and cold, which are not connected to each other electrically, think what could happen if you touched both at the same time with wet hands and one had been accidently connected to a live cable? What might happen if your on the roof of a house and get a small electric shock? It might not kill you, but the 30 foot drop might.

Sorry about the links you will have to maximise the window again...

Cable bonding http://www.summitsource.com/popup_image.php?pID=7686&image=0

Mast bonding http://www.summitsource.com/popup_image.php?pID=5139&image=0

You missed my point completely , I asked how one component could be grounded without the other since they are mechanicially and electricially connected already. The lnb is already grounded as soon as you connect the coax to the receiver and plug it in and since the lnb is plastic it is not connected electricially to the dish. Earthing a dish makes it more likely to be hit by lightning not less as lightning "looks" for the easiest path to ground. Your points about internal electrical safety are a different matter from lightning altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

I see they are selling lidl freesat silvercrest receivers separately(without the dish etc) next monday, 50euros. maybe worth it if your LNB is a dual.

Also a Silvercrest PVR Sat Receiver for 170... Recorder 80GB which has CAM CI slots

• Registered Users Posts: 8,227 ✭✭✭ongarite

The satellite recorder looks decent, 80GB HDD, dual LNB setup, HDMI connection and copy to external HDD.
    http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20081013.p.SilverCrestDigitalSatelliteReceiver

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Is there anyway to unscramble the channels that appear as scrambled on this?

• Advertisement

Attached image of the receiver in question. Thinking of buying this. Is BBC HD the only freesat HD channel on the air right now? Any 'freesat' HD channels on Astra19.2E?

One more question for the afficianados.....I have a HD Ready TV (1080p I think). Now, will I receive any picture quality improvement by buying one of the HDMI connector equipped receivers on sale next week and replacing the non HDMI equipped SL65 unit? Or will the benefit of the HDMI connection only be apparent when viewing true HD TV channels and not at all on standard digital ones?

satreceivergl8.th.jpgthpix.gif

satreceiver001ce9.th.jpg

Attached image of the receiver in question. Thinking of buying this. Is BBC HD the only freesat HD channel on the air right now? Any 'freesat' HD channels on Astra19.2E?

I think LuxeTV is the only other FTA HD channel on 28E (besides ITV, which requires a Freesat box). There are others FTA on other sats; go to any sat page on flysat (eg http://www.flysat.com/28east.php ) and search the page for "MPEG-4".

Only a handful of FTA HD channels on other sats (other than sub packages), so really, if you're not into subscriptions, maybe over the next couple of years, the HDMI receiver might be a good choice. I'm not sure whether a HD receiver would be significantly better than a HDMI receiver at displaying SD channels - might depend a bit (a lot) on the manufacturer and quality of the receiver. I've heard mixed reports on upscaling, but some others here may have first hand experiences in this area.

If you need another receiver anyway, then €50 isn't much really, is it?

EDIT: Does the package include a HDMI cable? (it mentions "HDMI connection" - maybe they mean cable)

Cheers, just to clarify it seems Lidl has made a mistake with the picture of the rear panel of the 80GB unit. It's a different machine! The 80GB DOES NOT HAVE HDMI. This is the actual rear of the unit according to the Silvercrest website;

satreceiverrearep9.th.jpgthpix.gif

Cheers, just to clarify it seems Lidl has made a mistake with the picture of the rear panel of the 80GB unit. It's a different machine! The 80GB DOES NOT HAVE HDMI. This is the actual rear of the unit according to the Silvercrest website;

Indeed they have. I'd say the picture they show the back of, is of the HDMI DVD player (VGA socket visible).

At least they don't mention the 80GB being HDMI.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭plodder

One more question for the afficianados.....I have a HD Ready TV (1080p I think). Now, will I receive any picture quality improvement by buying one of the HDMI connector equipped receivers on sale next week and replacing the non HDMI equipped SL65 unit? Or will the benefit of the HDMI connection only be apparent when viewing true HD TV channels and not at all on standard digital ones?

satreceivergl8.th.jpgthpix.gif

satreceiver001ce9.th.jpg

Is this a HD (High Definition) receiver? HDD only means hard Disk Drive as far as I know. It does appear to have a HDMI interface, though strangely, it's not listed on the connections information ...

Interestingly, they have another receiver for only 49.99 without a HDD, but with HDMI. If this one was HD, then I'll be waiting outside come Monday morning ...

[edit]Sorry, I see the correction above, but the question remains. Is a satellite receiver with HDMI automatically able to receive HD channels ?

[edit again]Looked into it a bit. I'm pretty sure it doesn't receive HD channels. I guess, if it looks too good to be true, ....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭plodder

Correct, the one Lidl is selling doesn't do HD (MPEG-4).

It seems the Lidl kit (Silvercrest) is manufactured by a company called Comag-AG. They do have a cheap-ish HD receiver. So, I would expect that eventually Lidl will sell this unit. But, it won't likely be for €50 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭stylers

wonder can this unit record off the SCART inputs, of course it would need an MPEG encoder to do this but it would be a very handy system if it does..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

kkennedy wrote: »
    The older Comag SL55 that lidl did a few years back did tent to overheat and the Power supply would blow( is easily repaired with a few components and a soldering iron). Dont know if its the same with the SliverCrest SL65.

I have an old SL55 that I was planning to throw out, as it overheated and smelled as if it was burning. What components need to be replaced? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 huzy06

I bought one today and realized i now have to buy a dish now. Can some1 tell me the easiest and cheapest option to get it working.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 littleemperor

does the sky card work in the lidl 80gb reciever box???? and is it worth the 169 euro.:confused:
    my.php?image=satreceivergl8.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement