Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Lidl/Aldi Sat box info

Options
  • 24-08-2006 12:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭

Lidl have a Digital Satellite System next Thursday http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20060831.p.DigitalSatelliteSystem

I live in the country side and totally know nothing about satellite TV but I'm considering getting this system in Lidl next week as I'm not looking for SKY, etc.

Could I make a suggestion that a FAQ thread be set up to help people like myself who know nothing install the system, like how high does the dish have to be house wall, roof, pole?

Rather than repeating pevious posts on the item, eg what stations are available? do you have to realign the dish every time you want to pick up different stations from another satellite?

Also any advice would be greatly appreciated i.e. is it a good purchase!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Heinz

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

See ther ICDGopedia in my sig.

Lists of free channels.

Install info.

The dish is a little small in heavy rain.

If the dish in sunlight at about 11.30am it can see the satellite. I have checked direction of satellite with dish sitting on the ground. The Dish when nearly vertical is looking upward about 20 degrees.

There are better systems at 140Euro to 200 Eur, but it works and will get you all the free channels that are on a Sky box. Or you can get some Mainland European instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭kkennedy

watty wrote:

The dish is a little small in heavy rain.

Its 80cm this time.

from http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20060831.p.DigitalSatelliteSystem
    # External unit: 80cm steel antenna, coated, mast bracket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭JakeLuxor

Hi I was thinking of buying one of these systems this week but to be honest I cant really make a whole lot of sense of the info (Im not a satellite techie head).
    Does anyone else have one of these systems, if so what channels can you receive?

Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

All BBCs, All ITVs, no C4. Plus anything else that's free like Sky News and Film4.

I know there are other channels available if you point the dish in another direction, but I don't know what they are. There'll be a more clued-in poster along shortly to confirm all ;)

• Advertisement

See the list of free channels (slightly out of date ) on the ICDGopedia in my sig.

see www.lyngsat.com europe frequencies and atlantic frequencies
    42E, 19E, 13E, 5E, 5W, 12.5W, 30W

19E and 13E are easy to get.

The dish in Lidl is small, the Maplin system with 80cm dish at 139 Euro (Galway, Dublin, Limerick, Cork) is better value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭mjsmyth

Hi Watty,

The dish on sale as part of the €99 Lidle deal according to the website, is infact an 80cm dish.

mj

OK that is MUCH better than previous deals that had 43cm or 50cm dishes!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

mjsmyth wrote:
    Hi,

The only way to view RTE 1 &2, TV3 and TG4 on satellite is by use of a Sky Digibox and a subscription.

mj

Tip of the cap kind sir.

Really all I want is good rte 1, 2 and tv 3 reception. Parents have to get up and fiddle with the aerial every time they change channel. Any recommendations? I know there are various indoor and outdoor antennas for this purpose but are they any good?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Really all I want is good rte 1, 2 and tv 3 reception. Parents have to get up and fiddle with the aerial every time they change channel. Any recommendations? I know there are various indoor and outdoor antennas for this purpose but are they any good?
    Sounds like you are using rabbits ears or other indoor aerial.

you would need a decent out door aerial, B & Q do them cheap enough

what is your location ? , as that will determine which transmitter you point it at.

probably better off on terresterial forum too http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=56

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Trevord

I've heard from some people that they had problems with the silvercrest receiver and that it stopped working after 12 months or so.

Some older posts refer to previous lidl offers and criticise the system due to the dish size - however the dish this time is 80cm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

It is a great grouping of products and will be more than adequate for peoples needs for non $ky reception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭kkennedy

watty wrote:
    Silvercrest don't exist. It is a comag.
    Silvercrest do exist, as a product of comag;)

See
    http://www.mysilvercrest.de/en/kategorie.php?k=1

I suspect Silvercrest is Lidl own brand name. My Silvercrest TV is a Beko.

lidl-logo.gif
    SILVERCREST, a new LIDL Quality brand, is ONLINE!

Manuals, Firmware etc for Comag SL65 via Lidl Silvercrest site:
    http://www.mysilvercrest.de/en/artikel.php?a=51&av=2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Vas_Guy

As a novice would I be right in saying that the first thing to do is mount the dish in a southern facing direction and use the satellite finder to find the position of the Astra 2D satellite and evaluate the dish to this position?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Donaldo

For those interested, this is sold out in Cork and Moidleton - anybody have any luck getting them?

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Galway

All gone in Galway too. There will dishes flyin off houses everywhere once the windy season kicks in the west! Cant say im bothered not getting kit, have receiver from last time (sold separately) and camping one. Mapllins have better quality one I think @ €136 plus €10 if u use voucher from catalogue (expires today). I think Id get it all as separates and go for quality. Technomate have cheap receivers with better spec and loads of better dishes and LNbs to be had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Vas_Guy

Did anybody get theirs working yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Went to Lidl in Tralee this morning and all sold out, Staff there said people had been queuing since 6:30am :eek: :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I went down to Lidl in Limerick this morning at 9AM and they were all gone too. I did get the sat finer though which is what I was really looking for. My sister wanted me to get the dish for her.
    Vas_Guy wrote:
    As a novice would I be right in saying that the first thing to do is mount the dish in a southern facing direction and use the satellite finder to find the position of the Astra 2D satellite and evaluate the dish to this position?
    The sat finder will show you when you get a signal from any satellite. Between facing directly south and when you get to Astra 2 at 28degrees east you'll pass through quite a few satellites, including Astra 1 (19 degrees) and Hotbird (13 degrees).

Best thing to do is start of facing south then turn it about 25-30 degrees to the east (either guess the angle or better still use a compass). Move it slowly around at this point till the sat finder gets a signal. Have someone inside watching the TV for a picture to appear, though it probably won't appear till you get the elevation close. Getting the elevation right can also involve lots of trial and error. There should be some pretty good instructions included with it on how to get it pointing in the right direction. There were with the portable kit that Lidl had a few months ago anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

I got one in Killarney today at 11.45 but they were all sold out since since before 9 O'Clock, (I had mine pre-ordered since Sunday) Anyway according to the fella serving me they was a Queue since about 6 or before it and all 120 sets were sold out with mine being the last to go. Three other people were looking for them and had to fill out forms while I walked out the door with mine.

Anyway much to my chagrin my Meter (Yellow Brick type one) is now going faulty and is giving me "LNB Short, Shutting Down" < anybody know what this means and it is f**ked?? Anyway I managed to align it to Astra 28 with the Earpiece beeber, I also bought the other meter but find it to pure crap, The earpiece one that was supplied is better I think. In the last Hour I have aligned it to Hotbird 13 East, Telecom 2D 8West < I am experienced at this sat as I use it for Skydsl and I just recently got it onto Hispasat 30W. Nice little kit and much better than the Camping one which cost the same price. The dish is flimsy and would not be as good as my 80cms channel master I bought from Tony's www.satellite.ie, however that is firmly rooted to Telecom 2D 8W until DSL arrives and may god help the crow that lands on it.

I will report back with more findings later.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

These units are always left piled high in Lidl shops "up north", my local one even had some of the "sat/dish/box in suitcase" ones still sitting there a few weeks back.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Trevord

Got my Lidl system working. Used the lidl satfinder with lightmeter. The satfinder works ok. I found Hotbird in about 5 minutes (although it was Astra I was looking for).

As explained elsewhere the trick is to start with the satfinder dial to the right and when you get a beep then turn it down until you can hardly hear it and then move the dish slowly until the sound is stronger (and you see more lights again). Repeat this process a few times and you should get sound and lights even when the dial is almost fully to the left - at this stage you should have a picture.

Took a good hour to find Astra (during which time I found Hotbird about 5 more times !) - no compass. Was looking to find signal at ground level in back garden as I'd like to play around with dish before installing it somewhere more permanent. Main problem with delay was due to neighbouring houses being a bit in the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

Got mine working today astra was a pain to find hotbird was dead easy got it working accidently first try. The que in finglas was starting at half 5 youd think they would get more in stock with such a high demand.

Am I right in thinking there is no way to have both going at the same time ? Can you get something to re-adjust the dish for you to point at the right sat (ie something more expensive than this setup)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

The Lidl on Thomas Street still had 3 or 4 of these at approx 5.15pm today

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭hargo

If you pick up Astra 19.2 , then is the elevation the same for Astra 28.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭cosmos49

SPDUB wrote:
    The Lidl on Thomas Street still had 3 or 4 of these at approx 5.15pm today
    What have Lidil got 3 or 4 of.Meters LNBs dishes or the complete systems

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

cosmos49 wrote:
    What have Lidil got 3 or 4 of.Meters LNBs dishes or the complete systems

Complete systems in a very large box

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭cosmos49

SPDUB wrote:
    Complete systems in a very large box
    I went to Thomas ST @8AM (Sat)they have recieved 12 systems overnight ...
    NO queue...NO hasel...NO problem I even got parking outstde the door. Tks to SPDUB for the tip...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement