Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Institutional abuse was "endemic".. - MERGED

Options
  • 20-05-2009 6:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

Mods, sorry if this is the wrong forum.

And other's, I apologise that this won't be the most articulate post - but I'm livid.

Driving home this evening, and some here know me, I'm not that emotional. But listening to the details of todays new report from The Commission to Inquire into Child Abuse on RTE radio one and the tears were streaming down my face.

Listening to some of the victims, and for the sweet love of god you'd have to be one heartless bastard not to be moved.

Its worth down loading from RTE and listening to this, its fvcking horrific - its disgusting. Holy Jesus I'm lost for words, sorry.

PDF summary of the report.
    Full report.
    Mod edit:
    I've decided to leave this here for the time being.

I've already deleted 2 posts and I will be handing out bans quite liberally on this thread.
    Terry.

How much should the Catholic Church pay? 184 votes

The deal is fine
    0% 0 votes
    The orders should pay every penny
    4% 8 votes
    The lands of the Church should be compulsorily purchased
    67% 125 votes
    The taxpayers should have to pay
    27% 51 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Thousands of lives completely and utterly ruined, words can't begin to express this kind of thing, absolutely horrifying. Those responsible should be held accountable and punished severely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

At least all people in ireland (and there are some will will have being in denial ) have to face the fact that yes ,there was systematic physical and sexual abuse of children in these places .I listened myself today on the radio to the report and people expierences ,and it was shocking .

This is only the beginning ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

How Boards deals with this issue will be a defining event.

AH is not an appropriate forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

And these "orders" still control almost all primary and secondary schools, amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

and their only "crimes" - poverty or mitching from school ?????????

an utter disgrace !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Carlow52 wrote: »
    How Boards deals with this issue will be a defining event.

AH is not an appropriate forum.

And before someone accuses you of back seat moderating, I agree whole heartedly, but 1. I hadn't a clue where to post it, 2. I literally walked in, seen my children and my emotions were bursting out.

I don't show this side of me to many people, and didn't want them picking up on it and me having to go into detail. So instead I off loaded here.

Mods, once again I apologise if this isn't the appropriate forum and to the member's I'd ask you to please, please keep your replies respectful - I know the urge is always to post something here to sound like a smart arse, or highly witty, but remember your parents, brothers/sisters, grandparents who have remained silent on this may have done so because they were also victims.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

You should read the report, its sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

The worst thing is that there's to be no accountability. That's a kick in the teeth to anyone that suffered at these peoples hands during the abuse, and again when their trauma had to be dug up for the purpose of the inquiry

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Victim John Walsh, of leading campaign group Irish Survivors of Child Abuse said:

"The little comfort we have is the knowledge that it vindicated the victims who were raped and sexually abused."

"I'm very angry, very bitter, and feel cheated and deceived. I would have never opened my wounds if I'd known this was going to be the end result.
    "It has devastated me and will devastate most victims because there is no criminal proceedings and no accountability whatsoever."

Hundreds of men and women recalled being beaten on every part of their body with a list of weapons, including leather straps, sticks, farm implements, and even hurling sticks. Others were sexually abused, some described being gang raped.

Children were so badly neglected, survivors spoke of scavenging for food from waste bins and animal feed. And unsupervised bullying in boys' schools often left smaller, weaker children without food.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

My lovely, lovely Mum was one of those children. She is now 66, and still can't talk about it. Her mother died when she was 8, and she was sent to the orphanage in Harolds Cross, to a life of sheer hell.

If there is a God, or Karma, these people are damned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

The report is absolutely depressing. I've only flicked through it so far cos im waiting to update Adobe on my PC but already i can see the sheer amount of abuse that went on is just unbelievable. And the worst part is that virtually none of it seemed to reported by the schools and when students did come forward, nobody believed them.

I can understand why many people have a hatred of the church. I know it seems like a very overused comment to make but read the report for a bit and it's not hard to see why.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Horrific, what a terrible time. Swept under the carper for so long, now it's out, and nothing going to be done about it. That this could happen for so long just shows what a pathetic little country this was. Thankfully the shocking sheer scale of the abuse will never happen again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

anyone have a link to the report?

I doubt if it's on line yet, looks like quite a large report.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Disease Ridden

I'm filled with a mixture of both rage and sadness thinking about all those poor children whose lives were ruined by these vicious, lecherous, perverted bastards. I hate them so much.
    It really sickens me that they wont be held accountable. It's a pity theres no hell for them to rot in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I know one, and know of two, who falsified statements to the RIRB about their time in institutions so as to get a big payday.

All the above is horrendous, but many "victims" are lying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

Here you go dude.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0520/abuse.html

The PDF is a few lines down on the report.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I've decided to leave this here for the time being.

I've already deleted 2 posts and I will be handing out bans quite liberally on this thread.

OP (I'm not arsed scrolling up to see how to spell your new name :) ), I'm editing your post to include this warning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

nipplenuts wrote: »
    I know one, and know of two, who falsified statements to the RIRB about their time in institutions so as to get a big payday.

All the above is horrendous, but many "victims" are lying.

so on the basis of your supposed knowledge of n=3 out of the thousands who testified you can categorically say many victims are lying ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

****ing horrific sh*t. Wonder how many suicides there were over the years by people who couldn't live with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

It's shocking.

This is a worldwide issue. Residential schools in Canada for aboriginal children, and the Duplessis Orphans.

Not at all trying to minimize the horrors here - quite the contrary. It's bigger and affected more poor unfortunate children than any of us can imagine. Than any of us would want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

It leaves such a legacy.

My Mum had four kids. We all have "issues". My Aunts/Uncles kids - not one of them without problems.

I like to think (hope) it's diluted with every generation, but how long does it take to get that sh*t out of your blood?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

It does leave a legacy.

Ireland's genetics have enough pre-disposition towards mental illness already without outrageous abuse making sure it occurs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

The way the survivors who turned up to the press release were refused entery and the police called was an utter disgrace - the State once again treating them like second-class citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

It's awful what happened. And the church covering it up is a disgrace. They should be made name and shame everyone involved. I'd even support a boycott of the church until they at least try and repair some of the damage. It would never happen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Reuters: http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSTRE54J4GV20090520?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews
    DUBLIN (Reuters) - Priests beat and raped children during decades of abuse in Catholic-run institutions in Ireland, an official report said on Wednesday, but it stopped short of naming the perpetrators.

Orphanages and industrial schools in 20th century Ireland were places of fear, neglect and endemic sexual abuse, the Commission to Inquire into Child Abuse said in a harrowing five-volume report that took nine years to compile.

The Commission, chaired by a High Court judge, blasted successive generations of priests, nuns and Christian Brothers -- a Catholic religious order -- for beating, starving and, in some cases raping, children in Ireland's now defunct network of industrial and reformatory schools from the 1930s onwards.

"When confronted with evidence of sexual abuse, the response of the religious authorities was to transfer the offender to another location where, in many instances, he was free to abuse again," the report said.

"Children lived with the daily terror of not knowing where the next beating was coming from."

The report slammed the Department of Education for its failure to stop the crimes. In rare cases when it was informed of sexual abuse, "it colluded in the silence," the report said.

Successful legal action by the Christian Brothers, the largest provider of residential care for boys in the country, led the Commission to drop its original intention to name the people against whom the allegations were made.

No abusers will be prosecuted as a result of the inquiry.

John Kelly, coordinator of the Survivors of Child Abuse (SOCA) group, said there could be no closure without accountability.

"I have been getting phone calls all day from former residents, they feel their wounds have been reopened for nothing," he told Reuters. "They were promised justice by the Taoiseach (Prime Minister) in 1999 and they feel cheated. They expected that the abusers would face prosecution."

UNDERWEAR INSPECTIONS

The Christian Brothers said they were appalled at the revelations but denied that their lawsuit had obstructed the report. "We are deeply sorry, deeply regretful for what has been put before us today," Brother Edmund Garvey said.

Many of the children were sent into church care because of school truancy, petty crime or because they were unmarried mothers or their offspring. Some were used as laborers, churning out rosary beads or set to work on farms.

Sexual abuse was endemic in boys' institutions and girls were preyed on by sexual predators who were able to operate unhindered.

The Commission interviewed 1,090 men and women who were housed in 216 institutions including children's homes, hospitals and schools. They told of scavenging for food from waste bins and animal feed, of floggings, scaldings and being held under water. There were underwear inspections and in one case, a boy was forced to lick excrement from a priest's shoe. [url=javascript:goToPage(2);]Continued[/url]...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Its absolutely disgusting

another failing of our government to hold the criminals accountable...

It made the headlines on BBC News at 10, at least the NI version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

The Christian Brothers said they were appalled at the revelations but denied that their lawsuit had obstructed the report. "We are deeply sorry, deeply regretful for what has been put before us today," Brother Edmund Garvey said.

Just not sorry enough to let the perpetrators meet with justice. Sick.

Advertisement