Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sometimes all you can do is laugh

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

LouOB wrote: »
    There are other floaters about here
    This aint a sewage dump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Overheal wrote: »
    You clearly failed to understand the question as 61 million voters is not representative of the majority of the 300 million strong American population. It is also not a conclusion of them having no clue.
    ok prove that americans arent what people are saying here

• Registered Users Posts: 82,187 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Pink Unicorns.

/thread :)

tbh why should I humour you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I was in San Francisco last year. Me and me mates were in a 'dive bar', which is another word for 'rough redneck bar' (Yes, in San Fran, I know. They weren't even camp rednecks either) Me and me mates were rotten drunk and kept on saying that we were veterans of 'the glorious Irish British struggle for the liberation of the peoples republic of Ireland'. We convinced them that our struggle was one of 'class, faith and freedom' and that 'Our Mikey took on 15 British soldiers before he was shot down by a helicopter in Falls Road'

The story verged on and got gradually more ludicrous and invented, and there was something like ten big fat American rednecks sitting around us loving our tale. I think some of them knew it was bull****, especially since we were laughing for most of it. It was a bit like a scene out of film really, lots of fun...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭villager

zudo wrote: »
    Stupid Americans?

I was in Chicago airport once and overheard two young American girls talking about their trip to Uk/Ireland. Then a guy asked one of them "how are ye going to travel from the UK to Ireland?" She replied.."By train" Her friend then replied, "I think there's water in the middle, though". They weren't joking either.

Jesus, if I were the parents of those two...

this does not surprise me. a few years ago in edinburgh i got talking to a man fella in his twenties who worked in the american embassy in london who asked me had i got to edinburgh by bus from dublin, i just laughed at him, i knew the yanks were thick but this really took the biscuit

• Advertisement

@Denerick: My favorite Irish war story always that of St. Patrick's Battalion in the Mexican-American War. Give that one a google.
    villager wrote: »
    this does not surprise me. a few years ago in edinburgh i got talking to a man fella in his twenties who worked in the american embassy in london who asked me had i got to edinburgh by bus from dublin, i just laughed at him, i knew the yanks were thick but this really took the biscuit
    So you took the Ferry to Liverpool and then... walked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I've spent the year living with about 15 different nationalities (mostly European), and to be honest the most clueless questions I get asked about Ireland have been from English people.

Every country has it's idiots, those in the US are just a lot more amplified thanks to a common language and media. And there's probably more of them :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭McGrath5

A couple of years ago I was walking into work, this car pulls up full of yanks asking me for directions, so me being the helpful local I tell them how to get to Rathmines from Rathfarnham.
    Just as they where about to pull of one my mates cycles by, and yell out his name, all of a sudden the Americans started to laugh there heads of, I asked what's so funny, they said that they where just talking about how everyone in Ireland knows everyone and I just confirmed this, yanks eh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Well if the globe is unmarked, the technically its a landmass. Not a country. I still have an easier time distinguishing Europe however.

:eek:

/facepalm

I can't believe you're attacking them. Why?

They're idiots. On a scale that's actually scary. I could really go on but I may as well be talking to someone who believes the world is flat and will defend that belief till the end of time, even though he knows its not, just keeps the belief because most people from his country do.

In other words its waste of time. Plus, I don't want to insult you either, you seem like a nice guy. Just ridiculously patriotic when it comes to people who are undoubtedly the definition of idiotic and ignorant, simply cause they come from your country.

When you started making sweeping statements is when I stopped enjoying this otherwise lighthearted thread. Its not the making fun of case and point examples, its about you making the unfounded accusation that because of these cases, we all must in theory, be retarded.

I mean I dont go around saying the irish are drunks and scammers that sit on their couches, and get frunk on dole money. Why? Because that only applies to so many people (even though I wouldnt be surprised if that number was in the tens if not hundreds of thousands).

Not only that put pointing out what lazy dole-leeching alcoholics a few Irish people are for kicks and giggles - would be really petty. Almost as petty as looking down on people twofold just because theyre being dumb and American. Fail is universal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 kingcantona

When i was travelling around Australia, met this woman from Brazil who thought that Ireland was in London!!! Couldnt tell you how dismayed i was! London...wtf!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

But I didn't say all Americans, I said the majority :pac:

& of course its more significant that they were being dumb AND they're American. Its was 9/11 ffs but hey, at least you finally admit they were being dumb :D

No donuts for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I know people who have lived all there life in Ireland but don't know where Carlow is and a couple of them never even heard of it. Surely we should all know where each county is roughly located or at least know that other counties exist.

Top of the mornin to ya.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

in general, yes... but it is carlow.... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

super-rush wrote: »
    I know people who have lived all there life in Ireland but don't know where Carlow is and a couple of them never even heard of it. Surely we should all know where each county is roughly located or at least know that other counties exist.

Top of the mornin to ya.....

You're not playing fair by bringing up the Irish.

though living as an irish person in new zealand, it's funny how often people will ask if im 'catholic or protestant', or if im from the north, or about the Troubles in general, especially after it looked like things were gonna kick off a bit there last march, made the news over here. the occasional eejit'll try lump us in with the UK, but that's all i tend to get, really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

I mean I dont go around saying the irish are drunks and scammers that sit on their couches, and get frunk on dole money. Why?

but the irish are a bunch of drunks, its one of the stereotypes of a nation that is actually true. i dont know where u got the notion that we are all scammers.

and alcoholism is an addiction, some people who are on the dole and drinking their money away have a serious problem, its not just a case of being lazy, theres alot more to it.

fact: most americans are clueless when it comes to overseas and the irish have a drink problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

I mean I dont go around saying the irish are drunks

You dont. Just your media like Southpark, Family Guy and Lost. But we're loveable. Rogues. But Loveable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

reminds me of an article that was written for some irish newspaper by an irish author - soorry for the vagueness

it was in irish but called ''regular ireland'' - where a yank asked was the author from up there or ''regular ireland''

• Advertisement

asdasd wrote: »
    You dont. Just your media like Southpark, Family Guy and Lost. But we're loveable. Rogues. But Loveable.

dude... you know Father Ted was written and loved by Irish people?

Originally Posted by asdasd
    dude... you know Father Ted was written and loved by Irish people?

Dude, you know I didnt mention Father Ted?

more water
    ****in hell
    oh god no hitler wouldnt be playing jungle music at 4 in the mornin

fantastic show

Dude, you know I didnt mention Father Ted?

no, but you did mention a number of american tv shows, which, in certain episodes, could be considered demeaning to the irish/ireland.

given that two of the main characters in father ted are 1. an idiot simpleton and 2. an alcoholic perv...

so what? that shows that irish clearly have no regard/respect for the irish.
    or what point was it you were intending to put across by mentioning the american tv shows?

(and you forgot the episode of scrubs with colin farrell ;))

so what? that shows that irish clearly have no regard/respect for the irish.
    or what point was it you were intending to put across by mentioning the american tv shows?

This whole thread is about the American media sterotyping of Amercicans.

I was responding to OH saying that he didnt stereotype Irish people as drunks, by pointing out that his media did.

And so what? We can take it on the chin. Surely Americans can take a bit of American bashing from an internet board in a small country.

lads, look at boards.ie

half the people here themselves are demeaning to the irish, at least those so are for a laugh

lads, look at boards.ie

half the people here themselves are demeaning to the irish, at least those so are for a laugh

This whole thread is about the American media sterotyping of Amercicans.

I was responding to OH saying that he didnt stereotype Irish people as drunks, by pointing out that his media did.

And so what? We can take it on the chin. Surely Americans can take a bit of American bashing from an internet board in a small country.
    Theres sweeping statements (theyre all clueless/none of them know where australia is) then there are brilliant, brilliant slags:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Firstly, I remember when the Brazilian government (possibly tourist board) threatened to sue the Simpsons over the episode where they go there, one of the producers pointed out they don't portray the US in a very kind light either. The Simpsons uses a lot of American stereotypes too (fat,ignorant, stupid, lazy etc. etc.) , but no one really notices.

Secondly, the Father Ted writers said that the point of setting it on 'Craggy Island' was that it wasn't Ireland, so they wouldn't just be joining in 'paddy bashing'. Everyone from the mainland is normal enough, it's just the bizarre outpost of Craggy Island that's strange (to say the least).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

I dont recall the Irish getting attacked by foreign terrorists either. stfu.

theyre called romanians and yes ,they are here

Advertisement