Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sometimes all you can do is laugh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,164 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Overheal wrote: »
    Other people you meet will say I'm half canadian, a quarter French, an Eight Dominican and a bit Cuban. Heritage is important to them. They might make silly remarks that show they dont know things about the UK and Ireland but they're fully aware of where they originated.

This heritage business is getting out of hand. What happened to being the nationality of where you were born?

In generations to come it will be ever more out of hand. The child of a Half Irish Half French father and a Half Spanish Half Chinese mother will be 1/4 of each.

Their kids will be diluted further

Their kids further

Until their is no race anymore and we all live in peace and harmony!

Has anybody considered what the racists might do in this situation? HAS ANYONE CONSIDERED THE BIGOTS??

• Registered Users Posts: 82,187 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Youre funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Ronanc1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJuNgBkloFE

i think this is the one turd ferguson mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Any defense of Americans, or to be fair middle Americans looses all weight when you consider that they voted "W" in as president IMO.

But then again we voted for Fianna Fail, :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

M5 wrote: »
    But then again we voted for Finna Fail, :confused:
    I didn't! Speak for yourself.
    And it's Fianna Fail, not Finna Fail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

I didn't! Speak for yourself.
    And it's Fianna Fail, not Finna Fail.

I'l grab my coat

MrStuffins wrote: »
    This heritage business is getting out of hand. What happened to being the nationality of where you were born?

In generations to come it will be ever more out of hand. The child of a Half Irish Half French father and a Half Spanish Half Chinese mother will be 1/4 of each.

Their kids will be diluted further

Their kids further

Until their is no race anymore and we all live in peace and harmony!

Has anybody considered what the racists might do in this situation? HAS ANYONE CONSIDERED THE BIGOTS??
    What about the half men, half biscuits??

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Try getting asked "do you know Mr. Wong?" ...it is a country with 1.3 billion people you know :D

I know a Mr Wong!
    That said, he will probably be pretty well-known in a few years time...

http://artofwong.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

magick wrote: »
    working in the USA when a guy asked me "what ya doing over here?"

to which i replied with a depressed look "bad potato crop this year........."

You sir have just entered my hall of fame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Uncle Arthur

Robocop was Half Man, Half Machine, and ALL COP. So like, it happens.

Other people you meet will say I'm half canadian, a quarter French, an Eight Dominican and a bit Cuban. Heritage is important to them. They might make silly remarks that show they dont know things about the UK and Ireland but they're fully aware of where they originated.

not to mention manbearpig: half man, half bear, half pig or.... is it half man, half bearpig?:confused:

• Advertisement

I know we all like to laugh at these stories and think americans are thick, but if you think about it and put the shoe on the other foot what stereotypes do we have about Kentucky? Its a state similar in size to Ireland and im certain that without googling it, most people does not know the capital city of that state.. Can you name 1 state that borders it?

So if you dont know something as "simple" as these things are we "dumb"?

You're already thinking Fried Chicken, the Kentucky Derby and if you are really tuned in you'll know Muhammed Ali is from Louisville..

Btw frankfort is the Capital city... and it smells of chicken

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

snyper wrote: »
    I know we all like to laugh at these stories and think americans are thick, but if you think about it and put the shoe on the other foot what stereotypes do we have about Kentucky?

But...http://www.mickhagen.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/georgia2.jpg

See also

Manchester, NH
    Portland, RI
    Portland, OR
    Springfield
    etc.

Besides whoever asked the question was an obvious troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Ronanc1 wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJuNgBkloFE

i think this is the one turd ferguson mentioned

That just makes me angry, although the best line in it has to be

"Ok i'm a little bit mixed up over the palestinians and the Isrealis....which one is throwing the rocks?"

ok, yes americans are stupid but we can't expect them to know much about a place 3000 miles away that prob isn't covered in their curriculum..

it'd be like them laughing at us for not knowing that mc donalds is actually good as a staple diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,164 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I remember winding a guy up convincing him that Leprechaun's exist.

He was American... but he was also 6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I remember winding a guy up convincing him that Leprechaun's exist.

He was American... but he was also 6

He does exist

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

i told my friend i was going to Budapest this summer, and she was like "isn't that kind of dangerous?"

Censorsh!t wrote: »
    i told my friend i was going to Budapest this summer, and she was like "isn't that kind of dangerous?"
    Well she obviously knows about the heat wave that killed hundreds of Hungarians last summer..

See also

Manchester, NH
    Portland, RI
    Portland, OR
    Springfield
    etc.

Besides whoever asked the question was an obvious troll.

Anyone from medford?

Medford, Massachusetts
    Medford, Minnesota
    Medford, New Jersey
    Medford, New York
    Medford, Oklahoma
    Medford, Oregon
    Medford, Wisconsin
    Medford , New Jersey
    Medford , Kansas
    Medford , Minnesota
    Medford , North Dakota

to name a few...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I'm half irish, a sixteenth spanish and god knows what scottish - but I'd always class myself as English

I spend all day singing Irish folk songs, I love Andalucian Chicken and fried food, and I'm proud of my heritage... but I'm under no allusions my nationality is anything other than English.

I've nothing against those celebrating their heritage, but the whole "I'm Irish/French/English/Martian because my grand-grandfather's next-door neighbour's cat's previous owner once flew over Dublin/Paris/London/Mars" thing irritates me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Well she obviously knows about the heat wave that killed hundreds of Hungarians last summer..
    haha well i forgot to mention that she thinks its mafia run

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

brummytom wrote: »

I spend all day singing Irish folk songs, I love Andalucian Chicken and fried food, and I'm proud of my heritage... but I'm under no allusions my nationality is anything other than English.

Neither are most Americans...

When they tell you they're Irish, French, German, whatever, they're referring to their heritage/ethnicity. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Have to say it's outrageous that the world at large isn't more of an authority on the deepest, tedious minutiae of the boring, squalid wars of a country with a population of just over four million people.

What's their problem? Ireland matters, dammit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

Irish or America, to which they replied "100% American"; 'thank god' i thought... "And 100% Irish".

Since American isnt an ethnic group they can be both. No different from an African American thinking themselves 100% black, and 100% american.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

What about the half men, half biscuits??

They're fantastic until you dip them in tea and they break off and sink to the bottom :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭markopantelic

my sister in 6th year and a pretty good student: ''where is oslo, in germany? :eek:

the irish of all nations wouldn't exactly be in the position to insult the ignorance(and by god are they ignorant) of random americans.

i'm sure many americans could name many of their 52 states, how many irish could name the 27 EU states?

i'm sure many americans could name many of their 54 states, how many irish could name the 27 EU states?
    I see what you did there

EDIT:
    52 states
    Wow, then you weren't trying to be funny the first time?
    50 States.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

I was seriously asked if the famine was over when I was over in America last year. I can understand them not knowing the details of the troubles. Would anyone know the details of say, the civil wars in Liberia?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭markopantelic

lol, im watching a movie.

Advertisement