Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sometimes all you can do is laugh

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭JangoFett

Ah it's not their fault!
    Their education system is so **** it's shocking, they focus intently on their mere what...300 years, 400 years of history and ignore the rest of the planet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭c0mpliant

Part of the problem with Americans is they're too easily distracted. I'm, and anyone else who does, is qualified to make that statement if you look at their voting habits.

Bush elected in 2004 because Bin Laden releases a tape and abortion, they're the two reasons Bush was re-elected. Abortion brought out the base, the regular crowd for the Republicans, but Usama brought out the Independents. The Independents....the worst group I hear about in America. Not because they're fighting a two party system, because the OVERWHELMING majority of aren't. But because they are the most fickle people on the planet.

Seriously, the people who can't make up they're mind in the last week of an election like the last one in America are the people who given the right circumstances would vote to abandon democracy. In fact, I'd like to see someone poll that in America. So often I hear interviews with Americans, young, old, poor, rich, in politics, not in politics and everything under the sun, and they say "we have to give up some of our liberties to protect freedom". I bet you all the money in my pockets against all the money in your pockets that you would be scared of the result of the poll that asks "If America itself was in jeopardy, would you be willing to suspend all elections in America for a period of time".

Americans can convince themselves of anything. That's their greatest strength and their greatest weakness. This is what got them to the moon and what got them sifting through the sands of the middle east with no long term exit strategy in sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Rebelheart wrote: »
    In fairness, the level of knowledge about such things is not exactly lucid over in Britain where many people seem to think Ireland is in something they like to call the "British Isles",

We ARE in the British Isles though!

Nothing "political" in calling it that either; it's British in the same way as Brittany is; etymologically rather than imperialistically, if you catch my drift.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,184 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

^ much in the same way Peru is in America... but who calls it that? Nobody!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

The undercurrent of debate here really stems from the fact that the Irish can take a slagging and embrace their sterotype given to them i.e loud, loveable drunks etc
    But..from feedback only from above post and certain conversations americans dont embrace theres. The people with any ounce of sense will laugh it off
    But the thick headed (of any nationality with amount of drink on them) will indeed rise to the challenge (ahem ^^)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,184 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You cant prove I was drinking JD at the time. But I'd like to see you TRY! :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Go to the travel forum, and see how many Irish people are posting asking "Is New York/Chicago/Wherever Safe?"

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

delllat wrote: »
    theyre called romanians and yes ,they are here
    They're not tourists and they're called Roma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

If Ireland were a 'real' country that got the world's attention for something other than being drunk and fighting, maybe tourists would have something else to ask about...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

If Ireland were a 'real' country that got the world's attention for something other than being drunk and fighting, maybe tourists would have something else to ask about...

You're thinking Australia, we dont fight so well. We're famous for drinking and maudlin singing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement