Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2009 Killarney Darts Festival

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

whats the story with prize money this year and what format are they goin playing, will it be sets or legs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Dartgod

€ 60,000 in prize money over the weekend.

Pro Tour on Sunday - Best of 11 legs.

Pop into the Maritme Hotel in Bantry and pick up some brochures and entry forms at reception.

All the details are on the brochure.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Any Double !

Dartgod wrote: »
    € 60,000 in prize money over the weekend.

Pro Tour on Sunday - Best of 11 legs.

Pop into the Maritme Hotel in Bantry and pick up some brochures and entry forms at reception.

All the details are on the brochure.
    That would pay the ESB bill !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

That would pay the ESB bill !

Change to airtricity, you will be able to keep more of your prize money then:D

jamesbere wrote: »
    Change to airtricity, you will be able to keep more of your prize money then:D
    Afraid I already threw my lot in with Bord Gais, not that the Gas around here is the type you'd want in your house !

• Advertisement

Breaking News ! ! !

It's looking good for Phil Taylor to be competing in the Killarney Darts Festival in October.

Plans are being finalised at the moment for an Exhibition Tour in Ireland for the days leading up to the Killarney event with exhibitions being arranged in Galway, Kilkenny and Killarney.

Colin Lloyd is the first of the PDC Professional players to enter the Gleneagle Irish Masters at the 2009 Killarney Festival.
    After his big win in the U.S. last weekend where he won the Players' Championship in Atlanta Lloyd has hit top form at the right time for his trip to Ireland in October to compete at the City West and the Gleneagle.

Hopefully, many more PDC players will follow - - -

Colin Lloyd is the first of the PDC Professional players to enter the Gleneagle Irish Masters at the 2009 Killarney Festival.
    After his big win in the U.S. last weekend where he won the Players' Championship in Atlanta Lloyd has hit top form at the right time for his trip to Ireland in October to compete at the City West and the Gleneagle.

Hopefully, many more PDC players will follow - - -
    Good news...the more the merrier !

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Antoine56

If you enter to play in one competition, does that get you entry to others as a spectator or do you have to pay admission every day?

There is an admission fee of 10 Euro per day for spectators on Saturday and Sunday.
    Competitors and residents at the Gleneagle Group of hotels and apartments have free admission on all days.

• Advertisement

There is an admission fee of 10 Euro per day for spectators on Saturday and Sunday.
    Competitors and residents at the Gleneagle Group of hotels and apartments have free admission on all days.

So if a woman enters Sundays Ladies Singles would she have to pay admission on Saturday

I will check that out and get back to you.

I know that a lot of women came for the weekend last year and only played in the Ladies' Singles on Sunday but they stayed in the Gleneagle and had free admission for the weekend.

I'll be back - - -

I will check that out and get back to you.

I know that a lot of women came for the weekend last year and only played in the Ladies' Singles on Sunday but they stayed in the Gleneagle and had free admission for the weekend.

I'll be back - - -

We'd probably be staying at friends in Killarney

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭ciarraibhoy

This has really pissed me off, why should residents of the Gleneagle get free admission, I live in Killarney and my wife has to pay €20 to get in if I compete on the the Sat and Sun, add that to the €50 entry fees (or €130 if I don't fancy the Friday night) and it's an expensive weekend. There's a feckin' recession on ye know. By living here and not booking one of there overpriced hotel rooms Killarney residents are getting ripped off. Are we subsidising Phil 'feckin' Taylors appearance money

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭pad180

This has really pissed me off, why should residents of the Gleneagle get free admission, I live in Killarney and my wife has to pay €20 to get in if I compete on the the Sat and Sun, add that to the €50 entry fees (or €130 if I don't fancy the Friday night) and it's an expensive weekend. There's a feckin' recession on ye know. By living here and not booking one of there overpriced hotel rooms Killarney residents are getting ripped off. Are we subsidising Phil 'feckin' Taylors appearance money

not been smart here but i think your lucky living were you are , there is a gang of us that have travelled down from dublin the last two years , we pay 209 euro each for the room, 65 euro for the train, 15 euro for a bus into heuston , then your 50 or a 100 euro into your competition. so add that up and it cost alot more than your 70 euro or 130 . i know that money is tight at the moment but if i was living were you are id be happy to pay what your paying for a great weekend of darts which is on your door steep.

I'm afraid its even worse than you think. If you look up the calendar on the PDC website it shows many other Players Championship events this year are now closed to the general public. This of course would be very unfair on the players involved if they could not bring a family member etc especially if they needed a safe and sober driver to to drive them home afterward. I believe they allowed each player 2 passes each to avoid this.
    Roll on then to Killarney and again I believe the PDC mulled over the idea of closing it to the public. Thankfully the good folk at the venue wouldn't have this....probably as it would be a financial nightmare.... so the public can still come to watch but non-players and non-residents have to pay a E10 fee to enter. I suppose it helps recoup some of the E60,000 prize money put up by both the venue and their sponsors. I guess E10 is about price of admission to a cinema these days so is still pretty good value to see many of the top players in action. However the concession of 2 passes per player is ...in my eyes...very unfairly not allowed here. As C/Boy rightly said earlier we are in a recession and already as players paying E100+ to play. Also as entrants have to be PDPA members to be eligible to play, then part of this entry fee ....[and I hope Dartgod is looking in and will confirm this].... goes to the PDPA to make us all honorary members for the day to avoid breaching their rule. Goalposts are being moved many times here to accommodate both the venue and both darts bodies so surely they can allow us as players to have our couple of passes !

Also as entrants have to be PDPA members to be eligible to play, then part of this entry fee ....[and I hope Dartgod is looking in and will confirm this].... goes to the PDPA to make us all honorary members for the day to avoid breaching their rule.

Did not realise that, that has further pissed me off :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭connie147

Are you for real? If you are good enough to play in this, then surely you must have aspirations to get into the prize money. Where do you think the organisers are going to come up with the €60k prize-pool?

Do you think its fair that residents of the hotel have access to the leisure facilities of the hotel free of charge and Killarney residents dont? Its prety common that hotel residents are entitled to facilities that non residents are not entitled to.

And lol at Killarney residents "are getting ripped off"! Killarney residents are lucky to have the people behind the Glen Eagle hotel group who have the foresight and the ambition to bring a tournament like this to killarney. If you think its a rip-off, then vote with your feet and stay at home.

Paying €10 for a days entertainment watching some of the best players in the world playing in a competetive athmosphere is not imho being "ripped off". It seems like extremely good value to me.

Connie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

i still havnt decided weather to go or not, if i go i wont be staying in the glen eagle, will be operating on a budget

i'd also be doing the qualifier and the saturday, if i didnt make the sunday tournament i'd watch and train home later, would have to be in dublin for monday for work thou

decisions decisions

connie147 wrote: »
    If you think its a rip-off, then vote with your feet and stay at home.

Paying €10 for a days entertainment watching some of the best players in the world playing in a competetive athmosphere is not imho being "ripped off". It seems like extremely good value to me.

Connie

Exactly what I will be doing, as although I love playing I have absoulutely no interest in watching Taylor etc.

• Advertisement

pad180 wrote: »
    not been smart here but i think your lucky living were you are , there is a gang of us that have travelled down from dublin the last two years , we pay 209 euro each for the room, 65 euro for the train, 15 euro for a bus into heuston , then your 50 or a 100 euro into your competition. so add that up and it cost alot more than your 70 euro or 130 . i know that money is tight at the moment but if i was living were you are id be happy to pay what your paying for a great weekend of darts which is on your door steep.

Good for you, must be nice to have plenty of spare cash

Good for you, must be nice to have plenty of spare cash

not thats its any of your buisness , but we run a savings club from year to year have done since the irish masters was held down in rosslare so its not as bad when it comes around , so why dont you start saving for next year and you might have 130 euro when it comes around again :rolleyes:

pad180 wrote: »
    not thats its any of your buisness , but we run a savings club from year to year have done since the irish masters was held down in rosslare so its not as bad when it comes around , so why dont you start saving for next year and you might have 130 euro when it comes around again :rolleyes:

Hard to save when you're on the dole :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hard to save when you're on the dole :rolleyes::rolleyes:

well i suposse thats a differnt story then , ill leave it there ;)

Exactly what I will be doing, as although I love playing I have absoulutely no interest in watching Taylor etc.

I dont understant how somedody who loves playing darts has no interest in watching the best player the world has ever seen playing in a live competitive athmosphere. I dont play darts anyway seriously, just like a sociable game, and just because i'm a sports fanatic, I wouldnt miss seeing a sporting legend like this.

Connie

connie147 wrote: »
    I dont understant how somedody who loves playing darts has no interest in watching the best player the world has ever seen playing in a live competitive athmosphere. I dont play darts anyway seriously, just like a sociable game, and just because i'm a sports fanatic, I wouldnt miss seeing a sporting legend like this.

Connie

Well that's just me, I have never enjoyed watching darts. I actually find it a bit boring to watch. I like football but have no interest in watching any games except those involving my team, Millwall. Each to there own I suppose ;)

Well that's just me, I have never enjoyed watching darts. I actually find it a bit boring to watch. I like football but have no interest in watching any games except those involving my team, Millwall. Each to there own I suppose ;)

Fair enough if you dont want to watch it. But you cant go around saying that Killarney people are being ripped off by the hotel because they are charging €10 for a full day to go in and watch the event, because thats great value to people who have an interest.

If the world wrestling champions were doing an exhibition in the hotel, then I wouldnt have any interest in going to see it, but I wouldnt be on here slating how the hotel were ripping people off by charging €10 to go in to watch it.

Anyway, I hope you get to play and crush all in front of you!!:)

Connie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

Just booked a room in Killarney for this weekend good deals to be found if you go onto booking.com (3 nights for two for under €100 each).

Some more professionals have entered for Killarney :-

Andy Hamilton
    Michael van Gerwen
    Vincent van der Voort
    Kevin Painter
    Alex Roy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭501darts

My ! My ! My ! There's always one !
    Of course you can get cheap accommodation in Killarney but if you want to mingle with the top players and get free admission into the darts tournaments in the INEC on Saturday and Sunday then the Gleneagle Hotel is the place to book.
    Free admission to the tournaments also applies to those staying in the Gleneagle sister hotels, Brehon, Scott's etc.

We stayed in the Valley Suites the last 2 years.
    Its €350 for 4 people for 3 nights, breakfast and shuttlebus included.
    If there aint enough people stayin to warrant a shuttlebus they provide a taxi service.
    You cant argue with that for value.

Advertisement