Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foreign-sounding names and discrimination MERGED

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

It's you and all the other xenophobes that think that the geographical location where you were born automatically gives you an entitlement to things like jobs, welfare,, and makes you a first class citizen, and all the other ones a second class citizen.

Don't worry, you're not alone. Far from it.

Of course he is far from it. Most countries in the world practice a form of discrimination against foreigners competing for jobs by forcing them to get visa, restricting who they can work for, even denying citizenship to their offspring. Ireland leaves a huge number of people into the country without restrictions relative to the size of it's population.

So the world is full of "xenophobes". Maybe we should keep them apart.

I hope it is just you - sadly though I think not

Are you always sad when workers dont' work in the Boss class interests?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Its good to see most here didn't read the article before posting.

Its not about the difference between irish and foreigners its perception of names, the articles used two replica CV's one with an irish surname one with another not irish surname both applicants were still irish.

the articles used two replica CV's one with an irish surname one with another not irish surname both applicants were still irish.

Both applicants were made up. So neither was Irish. Since we have had immigration recently it is obvious and normal to assume that a person with a german name is German. I bet they didnt say Nationality:Irish on the CV.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Chocoholic84

Tupins wrote: »
    I find this very sad but unfortunately not suprising.

Ireland is a very racist country in my experience. :(

It's called looking after our own. Why shouldn't we?

If there was a foreigner and Irish person looking for a job, and both were equally qualified, I'd give it to The Irish person.

I don't find that racist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭_Nuno_

If there was a foreigner and Irish person looking for a job, and both were equally qualified, I'd give it to The Irish person.

No, it's not racist, just discriminatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

asdasd wrote: »
    Are you always sad when workers dont' work in the Boss class interests?

Huh? not sure what you're driving at there. My concern is the attitude that foreign people living in Ireland are considered less deserving than native born people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

RaverRo808 wrote: »
    we have no room for deadwood here at the moment

How charming. Now we call people who actively seek employment 'deadwood'?

Also, ever heard about a thing called the 'EU'? There is entitlements and responsibilities for EU citizens no matter where they reside within the EU. And I am just as entitled/responsible as you are in Ireland, the same way you are situated in my country.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Coming over here, contributing to the greatest period of sustained economic growth we'd ever known only for Irish politicians to allow Irish run banks engage in ludicrously dangerous and foolhardy policies causing the global recession to hit us harder.

The bástards.

Of course he is far from it. Most countries in the world practice a form of discrimination against foreigners competing for jobs by forcing them to get visa, restricting who they can work for, even denying citizenship to their offspring. Ireland leaves a huge number of people into the country without restrictions relative to the size of it's population.

So the world is full of "xenophobes". Maybe we should keep them apart.

What's your point? All countries have rapists too, do you want to apply that same logic to that as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

With irelands history its not really safe to assume anything I myself have a non-irish surname and on name alone am always assummed to be johnny(or in may case robbie) foreigner, i definetly am Irish, I dont think I can trace back a non irish ancester until the late 1700's and then I have one the owner of my perfect surname.

But according to this thread I should take the boat back

But the boat back to where? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

_Nuno_ wrote: »
    No, it's not just you. It's you and all the other xenophobes that think that the geographical location where you were born automatically gives you an entitlement to things like jobs, welfare,, and makes you a first class citizen, and all the other ones a second class citizen.

greendom wrote: »
    I hope it is just you - sadly though I think not
    No, it's not racist, just discriminatory.

There is such a thing as being too P.C. and something else known as Reverse Discrimination which I fear is what a lot of posters on here are doing.

Huh? not sure what you're driving at there. My concern is the attitude that foreign people living in Ireland are considered less deserving than native born people

irish people are less deserving in their countries, at least if their countries are non-EU. Thats the way of the world. Obama is trying to get American corporations to create American jobs. Nations actually try and work in the interests of their native born population. This is not all that shocking.

( By the way, in the case of the African, the report didnt say whether the applicatiion clinduded visa information - but is should have).

What's your point? All countries have rapists too, do you want to apply that same logic to that as well?

Argument to the extreme. You lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Rob_l wrote: »
    With irelands history its not really safe to assume anything I myself have a non-irish surname and on name alone am always assummed to be johnny(or in may case robbie) foreigner, i definetly am Irish, I dont think I can trace back a non irish ancester until the late 1700's and then I have one the owner of my perfect surname.

But according to this thread I should take the boat back

But the boat back to where? :confused:

Those of us who people think aren't Irish enough, can form our own country, with Hookers and Black jack. You know what forget the country, the Hookers and black jack will do fine!

Argument to the extreme. You lose.

No I don't. Your "everyone else does it, so it's ok" argument is fine when you're in primary school, but just doesn't cut it after that.

There is such a thing as being too P.C. and something else known as Reverse Discrimination which I fear is what a lot of posters on here are doing.

I don't know about the others but I'm just concerned with fairness, that people be judged on merit, not nationality or any other discriminatory grounds.

if that makes me "too pc" then guilty as charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

you see the irish expect other countries to provide them with jobs - UK, USA Australia etc, but when ever a handful of foreigners come to our shores we don't like it:cool:

irish people are less deserving in their countries, at least if their countries are non-EU. Thats the way of the world. Obama is trying to get American corporations to create American jobs. Nations actually try and work in the interests of their native born population. This is not all that shocking.

Well if that's the case it's wrong - wrong to have second class citizens. countries should be working on the behalf of all its' residents. Every one who belongs to the society - place of birth should be immaterial.

And as to Obama - has he announced that only native Americans can apply for these American jobs ? Think not

No I don't. Your "everyone else does it, so it's ok" is fine when you're in primary school, but just doesn't cut it after that.

Sorry, mate. If there is a universal belief amongst the entire population of the world, opposed by one lone internet poster who is engaging is self-righteous moral posturing then the world, not the poster is probably correct.

And in fact I dont see any "morality" in the mass movement of worker around the world since it will make the capitalist classes, and the ( upper middle class) people who protect their position richer, and wokers poorer. This is a fake upper middle class morality, a victorian moralizing about the "racist" workers, generally from protected tenured elites.

Case in point - the access to Irish universities in uneven. Free, ( well subsidised) for Irish. Unfree for others. If we were to open it up fully to China and India then the Chises and Indians would get all the places - because of the difference in populations. We would also need an international version of the Leaving Cert.

Are you in favour? Or do you support middle class discrimination, and dislike whatever minor form of discrimination that favouers private sector workers.

• Advertisement

And as to Obama - has he announced that only native Americans can apply for these American jobs ? Think not

Christ on a stick. Try and get a job in america. You will find it harder than an American, if not impossible.

You need a visa. See, That discriminates against you. An American does not need a visa. Like a H1B. While there, you can only work for that company that hires you, and dont get welfare when you leave, nor any pension even if you contribute. You are deported if you dont leave.
    you see the irish expect other countries to provide them with jobs - UK, USA Australia etc, but when ever a handful of foreigners come to our shores we don't like it

we only get to those countries witha visa. All of those countries ban all Irish people from working there without visas.

what are you people talking about. I mean, seriously?

Are you not in the same world?

Sorry, mate. If there is a universal belief amongst the entire population of the world, opposed by one lone internet poster who is engaging is self-righteous moral posturing then the world, not the poster is probably correct.

Who the hell gave you the permission to be the voice of the entire population of the world???? I know plenty of people that would give a foreigner the same exact treatment has a national. You are noty the voice of the whole world. Your opinion is not that of the whole population of the world.

Get a grip on yourself.

Christ on a stick. Try and get a job in america. You will find it harder than an American, if not impossible.

You need a discrimatory visa.

we only get to those countries witha visa. All of those countries ban all Irish people from working there without visas.

what are you people talking about. I mean, seriously?

Are you not in the same world?

My point was Obama's policy to force US firms to produce more at home and therefore increase employment there is for the benefit of everyone who lives in the US - not just the native born

Who the hell gave you the permission to be the voice of the entire population of the world???? I know plenty of people that would give a foreigner the same exact treatment has a national. You are noty the voice of the whole world. Your opinion is not that of the whole population of the world.

Every single nation on Earth control's it borders against others.

I am in favour of controlled immigration. Just not the idea that anybody who opposes it -is a xenophobe.
    I know plenty of people that would give a foreigner the same exact treatment has a national.

I wait a reply on why we discriminate in favour of Irish people who want to go to Trinity college, compared to Chinese people.

Answer?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭techdiver

If you put racism and discrimination aside, if you give a job to a foreign national and not to an available Irish person, you also may potentially increase the burden on the welfare system in this country and its economic stability.

The foreign worker will be more likely to move to another country where work is available whereas the Irish worker will sit on the welfare system.

In short this practise happens everywhere... like it or not. I am simply crunching numbers here and leaving the discriminatory practise aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭SWL

No, it's not just you. It's you and all the other xenophobes that think that the geographical location where you were born automatically gives you an entitlement to things like jobs, welfare,, and makes you a first class citizen, and all the other ones a second class citizen.

Its human nature, to look after their own, and it’s common in every country. You have a check to suggest that’s Xenophobic, racist & discriminatory particularly when it’s also practiced in your Country, Form memory I believe you are Polish (I could be mistaken). So Poland is the only country in the World both developed and under developed who will give a job, welfare, etc to someone before a Polish person, nice country makes being a Polish citizen pretty much pointless. I look forward to preferential treatment on the Job and welfare front in Poland.

As other posters have said trying getting in too America without a Visa and see how far you get, same with Australia.

You may not like it but it is practices in every country included your own, so point the finger at Poland for being racist, xenophobic and showing discrimination and when the problem is sorted out in your country, then come here and we can sort it out together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

this is so funny, i had a CV handed in by a young student the other day and she asked if i could glance over it to check it before passing onto the boss.

the english was perfect( spells better than i do anyway) but in the area for nationality she had put irish. as she was a chinese girl from the local collage and i knew her from coming into the shop i asked why she had put that on the CV.

i live in ireland for 3 months, i is irish now. pay taxes when work.i is irish.

poor girl,

Every single nation on Earth control's it borders against others.

I am in favour of controlled immigration. Just not the idea that anybody who opposes it -is a xenophobe.

Who the hell is discussing immigration policies here? We are talking about people being given a fair chance when competing for a job, and not being dismissed based solely on their name. I am also in favor of controlled immigration, but that is not the issue being discussed here and is a different issue.

To me, anyone who thinks foreigners should be discriminated on the grounds of nationality when looking for a job is a xenophobe.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

WHat made me giggle was that the professor they got on newstalk this morning was, like every other quango employee in this country it seems, a brit :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭SWL

[quote=_Nuno_;60143270

To me, anyone who thinks foreigners should be discriminated on the grounds of nationality when looking for a job is a xenophobe.[/quote]

You don't know why one person is selected over another, so you’re basing your conclusion on your own racist/xenophobe opinions. If all things are equal between two candidates the candidate from that country gets the position. Happened to me in Aus don't see why people have a big problem with it.

Advertisement