Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Demons Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

The goblins themselves are handy its just that they're all in positions where there's no maneuvering is the hard part. The only fair fight is against the black phantom goblin just before the boss in 5-2.

What would you consider the 'best' weapon to use against them?
    I'm thinking the winged spear to keep them at distance.
    I was using my Dragon sword last night and found that after they do their first swipe, which i avoid, i then get in a stab they are always catching me with their second attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

weiland79 wrote: »
    What would you consider the 'best' weapon to use against them?
    I'm thinking the winged spear to keep them at distance.
    I was using my Dragon sword last night and found that after they do their first swipe, which i avoid, i then get in a stab they are always catching me with their second attack.

Not unless you throw it at them, that club has a huge reach. i'm thinking the brushwood or tower might block the swipe, never ever used them so not sure, if they do, spear would be perfect.

Best to stay in close to them and have a quick sword(kijii) and a decent stamina and light enough armour that you can roll. Maneuvering is the key to these guys, unfortunately theres sfa space to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

Not unless you throw it at them, that club has a huge reach. i'm thinking the brushwood or tower might block the swipe, never ever used them so not sure, if they do, spear would be perfect.

Best to stay in close to them and have a quick sword(kijii) and a decent stamina and light enough armour that you can roll. Maneuvering is the key to these guys, unfortunately theres sfa space to do that.

You can't roll in the swamp though, only safe way to kill them (as with most of the tougher enemies in the game) is your good old sticky compound long bow with the thief's ring. Shoot them in the head, run away, wait until they lose interest and start walking back, shoot them again, repeat... I always feel a bit cheap doing it but after you die a few times trying to kill them with a melee weapon you start to not mind how you kill them as long as they're dead.

Possibly my one criticism of the game would be how effective/easy to use the bow is in conjunction with the thief's ring. I feel I overused it but was encouraged by the game to overuse it at the same time. Hopefully the sequel will have more innovative ways of taking down the tougher enemies without resorting to long range strategies all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

rickyjb wrote: »
    You can't roll in the swamp though, only safe way to kill them (as with most of the tougher enemies in the game) is your good old sticky compound long bow with the thief's ring. Shoot them in the head, run away, wait until they lose interest and start walking back, shoot them again, repeat... I always feel a bit cheap doing it but after you die a few times trying to kill them with a melee weapon you start to not mind how you kill them as long as they're dead.

Possibly my one criticism of the game would be how effective/easy to use the bow is in conjunction with the thief's ring. I feel I overused it but was encouraged by the game to overuse it at the same time. Hopefully the sequel will have more innovative ways of taking down the tougher enemies without resorting to long range strategies all the time.

With the first giant Goblin i lure him onto one of the bigger islands, then run around a tree with him chasing me while i get a few hits in. It's kind of like a horrific game of ring a ring a rosy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

My girlfriend bought me this today, going to give it a go now soon. Any recommendation on what class to start with?

• Advertisement

tok9 wrote: »
    My girlfriend bought me this today, going to give it a go now soon. Any recommendation on what class to start with?

25 hours worth of gameplay later and I'm loving this game. Very enjoyable. Worst thing is that i have to get Dark souls now! :D

I started off with the knight class just to have a balanced game at the beginning. I struggled for a bit after the first boss. Couldn't get past 1-2 or 2-1 for ages but eventually i Killed the Tower knight and learned magic. I haven't really had as many problems since. Now thats not to say that I didn't die. I died a lot! :p

Nearly shat myself the first time I was invaded, just tried to leg it back to the Nexus and the phantom just backstabbed me.

Right now I've finished world 2,3 and 5 while I'm on 1-4 and 4-2 so i don't think i've too much left.

One thing I have found though is that the latter bosses seem to be getting a bit easier. All the bosses in world 5 were easy. The final bosses in the 3 worlds i completed were all easy, Dragon God being surprisingly easy once you realise where you must go.

Again that said there have been some very tough bosses. 2 that stand out are:
    Flamelurker was very tough even though i killed him in one go ( due to a lot of grass and magic).
    Maneaters were absolute torture, the amount of times i fell or the 2 of them ganged up me was sickening. Died against them the most.

so far...

Are there any other good weapons to use cause I only really use the long sword which was my starting weapon?

Also what do the soul remains do?

Going to tackle 4-2 2moro, I've been having difficulty getting through the level but i'm definitely getting to the boss this time. Such an addictive game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

25 hours worth of gameplay later and I'm loving this game. Very enjoyable. Worst thing is that i have to get Dark souls now! :D

Glad you're enjoying it. :D
    I'm replaying it from the start myself.
    Nearly shat myself the first time I was invaded, just tried to leg it back to the Nexus and the phantom just backstabbed me.

I was the same at the start, oh sh*t, oh sh*t...ahh crap...
    Last three invaders I beat. (One suicided off a cliff).
    One invader killed all the enemies in 4-2 up to the final boss - then attacked me in a confined area, I happened to have fireball equipped and killed him with three blasts as he had nowhere to run...:D
    Right now I've finished world 2,3 and 5 while I'm on 1-4 and 4-2 so i don't think i've too much left.

Nice going, those Maneaters are my bane...absolute feckers.
    4-* isn't too bad(Just finished that world a few mins ago).
    If you have a mace, upgrade it...very handy against the silver/gold lads.
    Are there any other good weapons to use cause I only really use the long sword which was my starting weapon?

The upgraded mace is a great weapon in world 4-*.
    Use the bow and arrow to farm souls at the start of 4-2.
    Also what do the soul remains do?
    decoy item. Diverts the attention of most enemies to the remains

An invaluable guide: http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/home
    Going to tackle 4-2 2moro, I've been having difficulty getting through the level but i'm definitely getting to the boss this time. Such an addictive game.

As already mentioned, bow and arrow, mace and fireball...;)

F1ngers wrote: »
    Nice going, those Maneaters are my bane...absolute feckers.

When i killed the first one i nearly cried! I was just thinking to myself "Don't f*ck this up now."
    4-* isn't too bad(Just finished that world a few mins ago).
    The upgraded mace is a great weapon in world 4-*.
    Use the bow and arrow to farm souls at the start of 4-2.

I might have a mace but i find it very tough to change to another weapon, I got the great sword and thought that i'd definitely switch to it but i just ddn't like the feel of it and several other weapons. Think I've just grown an attachment to the long sword.

Only realized yesterday I could buy arrows off the blacksmith in the nexus :o

That actually sounds very handy. Might start using them.

On another note I really have no idea of the world tendency, I'm always online so that makes it more difficult apparently. From what I can tell I'm neutral everywhere. Is it possible for me to change it or do i have to play offline?

I might have a mace but i find it very tough to change to another weapon, I got the great sword and thought that i'd definitely switch to it but i just ddn't like the feel of it and several other weapons. Think I've just grown an attachment to the long sword.

I find it easy to change weapons.
    Depending on what I'm doing, I always have the shield on my left with either my catalyst or bow and arrow.
    My right hand will have the weapon best suited for the world I'm attacking and a back up or the catalyst if I have bow in left.
    If I get invaded, I will have the shield and the talisman on my left and a sword or club with my catalyst.
    Only realized yesterday I could buy arrows off the blacksmith in the nexus :o

There is also a lad in 4-2 that sells arrows.
    Very handy when farming.
    On another note I really have no idea of the world tendency, I'm always online so that makes it more difficult apparently. From what I can tell I'm neutral everywhere. Is it possible for me to change it or do i have to play offline?

You can change it online, but as explained here, http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/world-tendency, it would be easier to do offline.

Well I just finished it there and started again. Not sure if i'll continue on but i did want to kill phalanx just in case i lost all my souls (260,000)

Have to say it was a great game. False King Allant was a tough boss too, the worst thing was probably having to get to him when you died. That damn Dragon!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to Dark Souls now!

• Advertisement

Well I just finished it there and started again. Not sure if i'll continue on but i did want to kill phalanx just in case i lost all my souls (260,000)

Have to say it was a great game. False King Allant was a tough boss too, the worst thing was probably having to get to him when you died. That damn Dragon!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to Dark Souls now!

Lucky you weren't invaded before you got back to the nexus.
    You may as well play on.
    NG+ is twice as hard.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Got this in the post yesterday, and I'm getting my ass handed to me by just about everything.

Despite that, I LOVE this game, I am definitely going to get Dark Souls!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Started playing this again with a brand new character.

I rolled a thief, any suggested builds?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Started playing this again with a brand new character.

I rolled a thief, any suggested builds?

To be honest the starting "classes" are just templates there's no real difference just starting items and the odd spell / miracle that's available later on anyway!

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/character-builds

That link has a huge list of different builds rated from most popular to least and has info on everything you'll need to build / gear yourself correctly!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I started a while ago, and went down the Spellsword (http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/character-builds:26) route. Didn't stick to it exactly, as i'm not that bothered about perfecting it, but it was a solid build. Good magic and decent melee.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭mrm

Big Knox wrote: »
    To be honest the starting "classes" are just templates there's no real difference just starting items and the odd spell / miracle that's available later on anyway!

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/character-builds

That link has a huge list of different builds rated from most popular to least and has info on everything you'll need to build / gear yourself correctly!!

Actually thats not completely accurate. The starting stats of a particular class can make it unsuitable for certain builds, unless you want to conduct some serious delevelling of a particular stat.

The thief class, for example, has a high starting stat for Luck (15) which sets it up well for a Blueblood Sword build (increased damage from increased Luck stat), but the luck stat is not important for the majority of other builds and so would require delevelling to about 6 or 8 for other builds. eg. the Spellsword build. I don't think I would pick Thief unless I was specifically intending to create a BBS build.

mrm wrote: »
    Actually thats not completely accurate. The starting stats of a particular class can make it unsuitable for certain builds, unless you want to conduct some serious delevelling of a particular stat.

The thief class, for example, has a high starting stat for Luck (15) which sets it up well for a Blueblood Sword build (increased damage from increased Luck stat), but the luck stat is not important for the majority of other builds and so would require delevelling to about 6 or 8 for other builds. eg. the Spellsword build. I don't think I would pick Thief unless I was specifically intending to create a BBS build.

Yeah of course the starting stats are important for a particular build, that's why I linked the builds they give info on what starting class should be used!!

Starting stats means sfa really after a few hours into the game, its no problem to overwrite and completely change the initial stats. I always started as a thief or wanderer for the high luck, the reaon i wanted the high luck was the decent drop rate at the start, you could get some good weapons early on(purple flame shield\winged spear). As for the blueblood, i find a good magic stat better than luck as you can buff the blueblood with light weapon and the higher your magic stat, the higher the damage, with a decent enough magic stat it would outstrip cursed weapon plus no pesky health drain and 2 magic slots used up.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I always thought the Royal was the easiest starting class. Decent stats, good ring and Soul Arrow (or was it Soul Ray?), which at early levels destroys enemies. Made killing old Red Eye's in 1-1 a breeze.

Starting stats means sfa really after a few hours into the game, its no problem to overwrite and completely change the initial stats. I always started as a thief or wanderer for the high luck, the reaon i wanted the high luck was the decent drop rate at the start, you could get some good weapons early on(purple flame shield\winged spear). As for the blueblood, i find a good magic stat better than luck as you can buff the blueblood with light weapon and the higher your magic stat, the higher the damage, with a decent enough magic stat it would outstrip cursed weapon plus no pesky health drain and 2 magic slots used up.

For BBS ideally you need a decent amount in luck and magic too maximize damage output but yeah magic should always be prioritized over luck for using light weapon!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

Started this yesterday and really enjoying it. Killed the phalanx boss on 1-1 and went on to the level where ya have to elevate up the timber walkway, and use spear attacks on the lads with the flamed spears, realised i need to grab a bow and arrow from 4-1 to make it a little easier as there are too many to fight at a time, so gonna head over there and grab that.:p anybody have any suggestions or tips for leveling up earlyish or is it just trial and error?(have spear and battle axe at +1)

p.s. have Dark Souls pre-booked to get the same edition as the Black Phantom one i have, can't believe its out in just over a month.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

finally at the false king fight now... have beaten all the other bosses but am really struggling with this guy...

also really really really really really wish I hadn't gone and grinded my strength from 16 to 30 just to see was the Dragon Bone Smasher any good of a sword :( I'm primarily a magic caster with a bit of melee thrown in for good measure.... 30 strength is so over kill now and is after completely ****ing my build up for the minute... really need to manage to kill this guy some how now and then start trying to level my build out in the next play through

so lesson for noobs - don't go and level up one particular skill just to try a certain weapon out for the laugh.... leave the weapon in storage and somewhere down the line you'll get to use it... but if you try to get to use it too early your just never going to beat them game :(

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    finally at the false king fight now... have beaten all the other bosses but am really struggling with this guy...

also really really really really really wish I hadn't gone and grinded my strength from 16 to 30 just to see was the Dragon Bone Smasher any good of a sword :( I'm primarily a magic caster with a bit of melee thrown in for good measure.... 30 strength is so over kill now and is after completely ****ing my build up for the minute... really need to manage to kill this guy some how now and then start trying to level my build out in the next play through

so lesson for noobs - don't go and level up one particular skill just to try a certain weapon out for the laugh.... leave the weapon in storage and somewhere down the line you'll get to use it... but if you try to get to use it too early your just never going to beat them game :(

False king is actually very easy once you learn his abilities. Some tips:

Make sure you have less then 50% equip burden so you can roll quickly. You can easily roll away from all his attacks.
    When he slams his sword into the ground and starts to charge rush at him and interrupt his attack, preferably 2 handed if possible.
    Keep distance from him as his soul suck ability can de-level you.

If you are primarily a magic build then yes 30 STR is crazy but it's not a waste, get some +5 crushing weapons and you will do good melee damage. You could be a hybrid magic/strength build which actually works. Put light weapon on a +5 crushing weapon and you will do crazy dps!!

If you can summon do it, makes the king so much easier, he has serious problems trying to figure out who to concenttrate on.

And what big k said about equipment keep the equipped below 50% of max and use rolling alot. I found a quick weapon good against him, if you've a decent magic stat along with the strength go for a moon based weapon, its damage modifiers are based on strenght and magic stats, moreso on the magic. Don't attack him wait for him, roll\dodge slash slash and roll away in case he soul sucks you. A crushing weapon with light weapon is a good recomendation. Never bothered with myself but alot of people swear by the crushing mirdan hammer, might be a bit slow but with that strength stat and ligh weapon it deal some serious damage. Switch to your catalyst too and wear him down from distance with soul arrow etc. He pretty much telegraph his moves, just counterattack him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

anybody have any suggestions or tips for leveling up earlyish or is it just trial and error?(have spear and battle axe at +1)

You've probably heard this before but the Red Eyes Knight on 1-1 is the best way to level up early on. If you have the shortcut opened up (the portcullis after you go up the steps on the left from the start) you can get to him very quickly.

4-2 is the next handy levelling area aftre the Red Eyes becomes of little use to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I can't be the only one trying to finish this before Dark Souls comes out. Haven't played it in a year, went back and beat 6 bosses in 2 days, only 1-3 and 1-4 left.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

ShaneU wrote: »
    I can't be the only one trying to finish this before Dark Souls comes out. Haven't played it in a year, went back and beat 6 bosses in 2 days, only 1-3 and 1-4 left.

I tried to play it last night actually and pick up from one of my NG++ chars. Just couldnt. As much as i love DS i couldnt help but feeling that im playing an inferior game to what is being released next week. Beside i kinda want Dark Souls to feel like a semi "new" experience. If i play Demon Souls and just straight into Dark Souls it will feel to similiar.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,223 ✭✭✭✭noodler

How do I know which worlds I have finished? Looked at my trophies last night but can't match the boss to the world cos its been so long?

Is there a way of telling from the Nexus?

Considering going at it again.

noodler wrote: »
    How do I know which worlds I have finished? Looked at my trophies last night but can't match the boss to the world cos its been so long?

Is there a way of telling from the Nexus?

Considering going at it again.

Well first off check what areas you have unlocked from the Archstones. If you have 2-2 unlocked then you've killed the boss of 2-1 and if you have 2-3 unlocked then you've killed the 2-2 boss. Also each Archdemon (Final boss of each area) has their own archstone so if you have the final Archstone of an area unlocked then you've killed that boss also. For example in world 2 if you have the
    Dragon God
    archstone unlocked you've killed him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,223 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Thanks pal. Loading it up now.

Might regret it, but I just want it done. I remember getting stuck on the 2nd Dragon (I think the guide said kill it with 200 such and such arrows but I just said Feck that).

I hate the guide that game with the US Deluxe Version.

Advertisement