Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Demons Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

rickyjb wrote: »
    Melee and ranged at the moment, I've already got the winged spear:D. Went for the quality route with it a while back but regretting it now as I'm having trouble finding clearstones. What upgrade route would you recommend?

I've also added soul ray which does reasonable damage considering my magic stats, and I have a sticky compound long bow.

Clearstone chunks you'll get them from the gecko's in 2-2 and 2-3, once in a blue moon the gecko in 2-3 drops a pure. You will get a pure in 1-3, depends on you doing something.

Quality isn't great however the good thing about quality is it can be buffed, so buff it with sticky white stuff(i know lol!!) or turpentine to increase damage output. I usally use upgrade the spear with moonstones(i usally put a little into magic, so i can cast firestorm or cursed weapon) until i get the kijii. Kijii doesn't have the reach but it's wickedly fast.

Upgrades generally depend on your stats, each stone upgrade increases damage depedning on your stat, with quality for example everytime you upgrade strength or dexterity, it slightly increases damage. Sticky has a good damage increase on dexterity. To view what each one does, select your weapon and press square and it'll show your how stats appoint to damage output. you'll have A,B,C,D and S. D is worst, S is best, S is basically 2 points damage everytime you bump that stat its associated with. Sticky compound longbow+5 for example assigns s to dexterity. so everytime you put a point into dexterity, it should increase damage output by 2. So basically look at your stats, decide and how your build wants to go and pick the right upgrade path to max effect from your stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

Clearstone chunks you'll get them from the gecko's in 2-2 and 2-3, once in a blue moon the gecko in 2-3 drops a pure. You will get a pure in 1-3, depends on you doing something.

Quality isn't great however the good thing about quality is it can be buffed, so buff it with sticky white stuff(i know lol!!) or turpentine to increase damage output. I usally use upgrade the spear with moonstones(i usally put a little into magic, so i can cast firestorm or cursed weapon) until i get the kijii. Kijii doesn't have the reach but it's wickedly fast.

Upgrades generally depend on your stats, each stone upgrade increases damage depedning on your stat, with quality for example everytime you upgrade strength or dexterity, it slightly increases damage. Sticky has a good damage increase on dexterity. To view what each one does, select your weapon and press square and it'll show your how stats appoint to damage output. you'll have A,B,C,D and S. D is worst, S is best, S is basically 2 points damage everytime you bump that stat its associated with. Sticky compound longbow+5 for example assigns s to dexterity. so everytime you put a point into dexterity, it should increase damage output by 2. So basically look at your stats, decide and how your build wants to go and pick the right upgrade path to max effect from your stats.

Is the uchigatana better than the kilij? I think I have both already, I went most of the way through 4-1. Anywhere to get sticky white stuff easily enough? (There's a question I never thought I'd ask....)

Alot of people swear by the uchi but i find it too slow and it degrades quickly. It has a long reach but the motion is too slow for me. for me the kijii or blueblood sword are the best in the game, decent reach and very quick. Kijii or bluebllod sword will get in 3 hits for every 2 of the uchi's.

Sticky white stuff, finish world 4 and work your way back from 4-3 through 4-2. Theres a slug that drop it farely regularly. Same slugs are in 5-2 but 5-2 isn't a level to go farming on.

Alot of people swear by the uchi but i find it too slow and it degrades quickly. It has a long reach but the motion is too slow for me. for me the kijii or blueblood sword are the best in the game, decent reach and very quick. Kijii or bluebllod sword will get in 3 hits for every 2 of the uchi's.

Sticky white stuff, finish world 4 and work your way back from 4-3 through 4-2. Theres a slug that drop it farely regularly. Same slugs are in 5-2 but 5-2 isn't a level to go farming on.

So I hear....

I must give the kilij a go so (if I have it), thanks. You don't happen to remember where you pick it up in 4-1? It doesn't say it in the wiki. I'm thinking maybe I don't have it after all, might have been mixing it up with the crescent falchion+1 you get from behind the black skeleton near the start.

Its around where vanguard is in 4-1, pretty sure its by the well in the middle of the courtyard, gold skeletons drop them every now and then.

• Advertisement

I did already have the kilij, the crescent falchion does way more damage though and it has the same speed as it's the same type of sword. Plus the magic damage works well on the skeletons in 4-1 and miners in 2-2. Made short work of maneater last night and finished 4-1 and 2-2 as well, 3 bosses in one night:pac:

After I finished 4-1 I said I'd have a quick look at 4-2 (even though I should've went straight back to the nexus with all my souls) and some f****r invaded me, first time it's happened! I didn't realise you couldn't go back through the fog gate... I saw a blue mark on the ground so I summoned a blue phantom and watched them fight for ages, I didn't really have a clue what was going on but it was entertaining until the red guy put out this brown cloud which made all my weapons/armour completely useless! Only I didn't realise this at the time and followed the 2 guys fighting through the level until some NPC kicked me down a hole where 2 black phantoms then killed me. I was trying to fight back but didn't realise my weapons/armour were completely useless until afterwards.

Needless to say I wasn't happy, that acid cloud thing is evil...

BTW don't kill that NPC.

As for the kijii, upgrade it, get it to +6 then start pumping darkmoon stones into it to make it crescent.

Never go straight into 4-2, its one of the biggest invasion spots in the games. Always keep an eye for the entryway blocking(the shimmering effect) at the start of a level, a sure way you're being invaded, gives you times to prepare, another way is caste evacuate, if it tells your can't then you're being invaded. Usually takes 30 secs to a min for the invader to come through. Plenty of time to prepare an ambush.

Yeah acid clouds a pain used have great fun with it and the scraping spear. Loads of abusive PSN messages after it.

BTW don't kill that NPC.

As for the kijii, upgrade it, get it to +6 then start pumping darkmoon stones into it to make it crescent.

Never go straight into 4-2, its one of the biggest invasion spots in the games. Always keep an eye for the entryway blocking(the shimmering effect) at the start of a level, a sure way you're being invaded, gives you times to prepare, another way is caste evacuate, if it tells your can't then you're being invaded. Usually takes 30 secs to a min for the invader to come through. Plenty of time to prepare an ambush.

Yeah acid clouds a pain used have great fun with it and the scraping spear. Loads of abusive PSN messages after it.

Ah, thanks for the tip with the kilij. I have a lot of stones after the crystal lizard in 2-2, I don't remember darkmoon ones though.

It got a bit glitchy when I first came across him, I think I accidentally hit him with soul ray during the fight between the blue/black phantom then it cut to a clip of him pushing me down into a hole. I presume he's still alive as he lured me into a trap in 2-2 afterwards.

Acid cloud is not cool...:cool:

He should be back in the nexus between archstones 3 and the bust one. He's your only supply of heavy arrows.

Darkmoon stones you'll get from the reavers, chunks and pure from crystal gecko's in 4-2 and 4-3. You could make a moon kijii as well.

He should be back in the nexus between archstones 3 and the bust one. He's your only supply of heavy arrows.

Darkmoon stones you'll get from the reavers, chunks and pure from crystal gecko's in 4-2 and 4-3. You could make a moon kijii as well.

I found an easy way to get darkmoonstones by killing the reaper at the start of 4-2 so I made a kilij+2, another couple and i'll have enough for +3. My damage with it has gone way up, as my magic was so low initially i've put a few points onto it and the difference to my attack is huge. I also got a white bow in 4-2, I'm not sure whether it's worth levelling my strength up to 20 so I can use it or just stay with my sticky compound long bow?

• Advertisement

Don't With a decent dexterity stat, nothing beats the vicious\sticky compound bow+5. Initially the whitebow and lavabow are strong but once your dex stat gets anyway decent, the vicious\sticky will pass them way out.

Darkmoon shards are easy to come by, chunks and pure are gecko's only,altough rarely reapers drop chunks(plus you'll get 2 from the phantom down by sturbain). B TW sometimes the bp down there keeps reappearing so it'd be a good source for chunks of darkmoon and stones of epehemeral, i think the world has to be towards black for it to occur.

I'm finally getting near the end of this game, only have 5-2/3 and 4-4 left!!:D 5-2 is a serious pain though:mad: Is there any way to avoid being poisoned, I have full gloom armour and the ring of poison resistance but I'm still flying through the lotuses.

I'm also trying to upgrade my sticky compound long bow to +5, how the hell do you get shards/chunks of spiderstone? Can't get anything to drop them on 2-1/2-2.

I also came across this the other day, I'm already excited... The cover art looks very cheery doesn't it?

Is it too early to start a dedicated thread yet do you think?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

I'm restarting this game tonight.

I bought it when it launched in Europe and cleared 1-1, 1-2 and 2-1 but for various reasons didn't get back to it.

Tonight I'm going to start a new character, I want to focus on magic and I'm not going to look at a single FAQ. My multiple deaths will be glorious!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

fasty wrote: »
    I'm not going to look at a single FAQ.

Ouch! Hehe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I'm finally getting near the end of this game, only have 5-2/3 and 4-4 left!!:D 5-2 is a serious pain though:mad: Is there any way to avoid being poisoned, I have full gloom armour and the ring of poison resistance but I'm still flying through the lotuses.

I just put on as much health regen stuff as possible so the poison wouldn't be much of a bother
    I'm also trying to upgrade my sticky compound long bow to +5, how the hell do you get shards/chunks of spiderstone? Can't get anything to drop them on 2-1/2-2.

The miners do drop them, but it's rare as hell. The shiny lizards are the best bet

fasty wrote: »
    I'm restarting this game tonight.

I want to focus on magic and I'm not going to look at a single FAQ. My multiple deaths will be glorious!

Best of luck with that...

Forget about resistances, just use a peice of equipment with regen capabilities to counteract the poison, Blessed weapon+5 or the ajudicators shiled+5 will totally counter act the poison damage. Lowever level versions of these will slow the poison so less lotus's.

Spiderstone chunks; the only guranteed drop is the crystal gecko in 2-1 just after the furnace room(depends on the amount he drops, he'll drop a mix of shards chunks and pure on rare occasions, all down to luck, i've gotten enough chunks after only 2 gecko kills). You do know that each time you kill a boss, the gecko's reappear? so world 2 for example you get 4 go's at the gecko. Just kill collect exit level and repeat, exit and reload save works too.
    Miners without a pickaxe in 2-2 drop chunks(heh!!) but rare enough, the closer world 2 is to pure black, the better the chance of chunks, same works on all worlds.

Forget about resistances, just use a peice of equipment with regen capabilities to counteract the poison, Blessed weapon+5 or the ajudicators shiled+5 will totally counter act the poison damage. Lowever level versions of these will slow the poison so less lotus's.

Spiderstone chunks; the only guranteed drop is the crystal gecko in 2-1 just after the furnace room(depends on the amount he drops, he'll drop a mix of shards chunks and pure on rare occasions, all down to luck, i've gotten enough chunks after only 2 gecko kills). You do know that each time you kill a boss, the gecko's reappear? so world 2 for example you get 4 go's at the gecko. Just kill collect exit level and repeat, exit and reload save works too.
    Miners without a pickaxe in 2-2 drop chunks(heh!!) but rare enough, the closer world 2 is to pure black, the better the chance of chunks, same works on all worlds.

I did 2-1 a good few times early on in in my game so I have a feeling that ship might have sailed, I only seem to get hard/clearstones from the crystal lizards in 2-2. Which one is the furnace room?

I have the adjudicators shield but no colourless souls as of yet, in that case I'm probably better off with the regenerator's ring than the poison resistance one.

Anyone been reading previews of Dark Souls yet?? There's a link to a good interview with the main guy in my previous post

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

I also came across this the other day, I'm already excited... The cover art looks very cheery doesn't it?

Is it too early to start a dedicated thread yet do you think?:pac:

Never too early, :p
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70400619
    Anyone been reading previews of Dark Souls yet?? There's a link to a good interview with the main guy in my previous post

Going to have a read through now.

I did 2-1 a good few times early on in in my game so I have a feeling that ship might have sailed, I only seem to get hard/clearstones from the crystal lizards in 2-2. Which one is the furnace room?

I have the adjudicators shield but no colourless souls as of yet, in that case I'm probably better off with the regenerator's ring than the poison resistance one.

Dudes in 2-2 only drops hard\sharp and clearstone. Gecko in 2-1, go up the lift at the start and head the usual way, there's an arch just by where the 3 miners with the flame brands are. Head up that way(watch out for ambush at end of stairs), there's a boiler room with 5-6 miners after that headout and the gecko is around the corner to the left. Make sure you've the thief ring equipped as he'll run oherwise, try to sneak to the platform in front of ya and bow him to death. If you came acros the dudes throwing boulders at you and there's no gecko, then you've missed him.

BTW gice crow the talisman of god and the gold mask and she'll give you a colorless demons soul for each. Plus you've the one in 1-1.

There should be a blessed mace+2 in 5-1 and you should have enough fainstone ore to get it to +3. Regenerator ring regeneration is miniscule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

Best of luck with that...

Thanks! I'm sure I'll be fine! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,700 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Welp, looks like I'm never likely to pick this up in the end (before the servers shut/players peter out).

Here's hoping Dark Souls turns out great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

I just have a question about an item that i cannot seem to reach.

It's at the Shrine of storms. It's perched on top of a rock at the bottom of the pit that patches pushes you into.

Also any tips for killing the dudes that shoot the beams at you a little further on in the level?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

weiland79 wrote: »

It's at the Shrine of storms. It's perched on top of a rock at the bottom of the pit that patches pushes you into.

Also any tips for killing the dudes that shoot the beams at you a little further on in the level?

You can get only get that item if you have fuil white/black tendancy in the world. Not sure which it is for that particular item, but i think it's full white. As for the enemies that shoot beams at you...do you mean the ghost things that fire a laser type beam? If so, run past them where possible, and klill the reaper type enemy floating around. The ghosts keep respawning until you kill that guy.

I think i'm gonna load the game up again :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

weiland79 wrote: »

That item is only reachable in pure white world tendency

e: ^^^ beaten

Kiith wrote: »

I think i'm gonna load the game up again :P

Yeah i haven't played it in ages and am just sitting down to a session now.
    I only have 3 levels left to beat so should get it done this week.
    Admittedly i have to say i don't fully understand the whole world tendancy thing.
    I know that certain actions steer the WT towards Black/White and that this in turn opens up different parts of the game.

But i can't say that I've noticed any of my actions actually doing anything.

Although i did get the door at on the left of the Boletarian castle open i really don't know how i did this.:o

I think I'm gonna cry.

Just knocked the slug nest down in 5-2 and then stupidly fell to my death.

What a cheap way to go and on such a pain in the ass level.

Those giant Goblin's are right B tards!!!!!

Finally cleared this bad boy, have to say one of the best games I've played, looking forward to the second play-through :D

Also finished it there a few weeks back and traded it in, fantastic game. Already have the sequel pre-ordered....

And yes those giant goblins are right B tards:pac:

• Advertisement

The goblins themselves are handy its just that they're all in positions where there's no maneuvering is the hard part. The only fair fight is against the black phantom goblin just before the boss in 5-2.

Advertisement