Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Demons Souls

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

rickyjb wrote: »
    So if I go back to where I died I should get all my souls back?

So long as you don't die on the way to collect them.
    What do you do just touch the bloodstain where you died?

Either walk into them or you might have to press X, can't remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Lets says PWWT is 7 points. WT can only be moved 4 ways, beating bosses or invading black phantoms, seeing as you've finished the world you can't kill anymre bosses and phantoms can't invade your world anymore. The 2 remaining are beating the black phantom of that world(WT+3) or the primevil demon(WT+3), however to encounter them you need pure black WT which works out as 0, PWWT is around 7 points from PBWT. Most peope don't get all PWWT on their first go through. Nothing really major on PWWT on world 3 anyways, just some chunks of certain ore and a ring that you will need for a trophy. Always better to setup it up on this run and get PWWT on NG+. Worlds 1,2,4 have the best stuff at PWWT. Better off getting 3 to PBWT, there's a unique weapon and colorless demons soul at PBWT, i'd advise finishing world 5 first, there's a nice item there and it makes the mindflayers much easier with it.

I'm after the rogue gear which is the main reason I wanna get the key to let that guy out of his cell I hear the loot is the rogue gear or something.

Don't suppose theres another way of getting this gear.

Btw in New game + whats the story there, when you beat the game you have the option to start it again with the same character and now the game is harder, do you keep the same level and items/gear though?

Sisko wrote: »
    Btw in New game + whats the story there, when you beat the game you have the option to start it again with the same character and now the game is harder, do you keep the same level and items/gear though?

From the DS wiki:
    All items are carried over except for keys. This includes weapons, armor, ore, consumables, soul levels, spells, and all items with Stockpile Thomas. All world and character tendencies are carried over as well. Again, the only exception are keys. Keys are not carried over to NG+

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Sisko wrote: »
    I'm after the rogue gear which is the main reason I wanna get the key to let that guy out of his cell I hear the loot is the rogue gear or something.

Don't suppose theres another way of getting this gear.

Not great gear to be honest, black leather gear is better, about as light with decent poison res. He ives a ring btw, it's useless to be honest but its the only way to get that ring.

If you want to platinum the game you'll have to go as far as NG+++. 2 of the demons souls have 4 different uses(makes spells\weapons). You'll carry over everything except key items.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Got this again yesterday, and started playing a Magician character. Definitely finding it easire then the last time i played (Knight iirc). Managed to kill old Red Eyes in 1-1 after only 2 hours, and that wasnt using the fall damage trick (which didn't seem to work). I've a hard time with multiple enemies (****ing dogs in the tunnel of 1-2) but hopefully i can get some AOE spells for them.

Speaking of Spells, where can i get new ones? The trainer only has 5 at the moment. Do i need to rescue Sage whatever his name is?

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    Speaking of Spells, where can i get new ones? The trainer only has 5 at the moment. Do i need to rescue Sage whatever his name is?

Definately easier with magic but they ain't worth sh1t when it comes to invasions. Yuria and Freke are the dudes you want, best spells are gotten from the souls of the demons. Homing soul arrow and firestorm are the ones you want. Plus don't forget kris knife+5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

yep, I tend to get logged out after 1 hour or so.
    I was in the middle of a game and it just exited me because it logged out of the servers, wtf?? I kept my souls when I restarted but it was still pretty annoying.

And what's the story with the spider at the end of 2-1, do I have any hope of killing it after just starting the game? It seemed way too strong for me.

Needless to say I had a load of souls when it killed me and I didn't make it back to collect them. I'm beginning to understand this games reputation...

IT's very possible to kill it early on, its a cheap way though using ranged attacks, soul arrow or bow and arrow. If you want to melee it, level up a bit to be able to use the purple flame shield you found in 1-1, has 100% block on fire attacks.

Definately easier with magic but they ain't worth sh1t when it comes to invasions. Yuria and Freke are the dudes you want, best spells are gotten from the souls of the demons. Homing soul arrow and firestorm are the ones you want. Plus don't forget kris knife+5.

When you say invasions do you mean other players invading my game? I'd have thought that it could be pretty good in those situations, as arent most characters just plain old melee? Are there any slowdown/pushback spells that you can get?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

When you say invasions do you mean other players invading my game? I'd have thought that it could be pretty good in those situations, as arent most characters just plain old melee? Are there any slowdown/pushback spells that you can get?

Nope, Magic is useless in PVP. A good Melee character will kill you within seconds. Also, a lot of Melee builds use the dark silver set, which means your magic is doing f-all damage to them.

I played as a magic user initially, and it makes the single player elements easier, but when I started invading/being invaded, the power of melee builds became clear. They easily win.

• Advertisement

What BE said, 90% of people have the silver shield which pretty much nullifies your magic straight away, alot are crafty and will cast anti magic field which basically turns your wand into a wooden spoon. also magic is p1ss easy to dodge. Your only hope is to try and ambush with firestorm. Best bet is to try and duke it out with a quick weapon thats attack is based on magic, like a moon or cresecent weapon.

Well that kind of sucks. Makes me unsure if i should bother with a magic character then. Seems kind of stupid to have such a broken magic system (though it wouldnt be the first game). How often should i expect to get invaded?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,884 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You can only be invaded when you are in body form.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You can only be invaded when you are in body form.

Ah well then i should be ok :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭SK1979

What BE said, 90% of people have the silver shield which pretty much nullifies your magic straight away, alot are crafty and will cast anti magic field which basically turns your wand into a wooden spoon. also magic is p1ss easy to dodge. Your only hope is to try and ambush with firestorm. Best bet is to try and duke it out with a quick weapon thats attack is based on magic, like a moon or cresecent weapon.

A Crescent Uchicghanna +(as high as you can) and some skilfull / lucky (delete as appropriate) use of Firestorm can kill the odd invader. You'll need Warding as well to stand any chance but as others have said, most melee invaders will easily kill a mainly magic based character.

Find the kijii better, takes less stone to upgrade to +5, does'nt have the Uchi's reach but more effective against armour and ridiculously swift with very little stamina cost. you could land 3-4 hits to the uchi's 2.

IT's very possible to kill it early on, its a cheap way though using ranged attacks, soul arrow or bow and arrow. If you want to melee it, level up a bit to be able to use the purple flame shield you found in 1-1, has 100% block on fire attacks.

I'd say I'd need about a thousand arrows to kill it with my current bow/stats and I don't think I can afford them.

You mean the purple flame shield I should have found in 1-1... Sounds useful though, thanks.

Compound shortbow found in 1-2 leveled up a bit to +3 or +4 and it should'nt take more than 30 arrows.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭mrm

Well that kind of sucks. Makes me unsure if i should bother with a magic character then. Seems kind of stupid to have such a broken magic system (though it wouldnt be the first game). How often should i expect to get invaded?

A recommended Magic build class from Demons Souls Wiki (Soul Level 121):

Build summaryPvP - A build that uses both Magic and Melee effectively.

Vitality 45
    Will/Intelligence 30
    Endurance 30
    Strength 18
    Dexterity 13
    Magic 40
    Faith 18
    Luck (lowest possible)

Recommended equipment

RH1: Moon Uchigatana +5
    RH2: Kris Blade +5
    LH1: Moon Uchigatana +5 || (Dark Silver Shield +5/ Steel Shield +10) || Morion Blade
    LH2: Talisman of Beasts

Which weapons are equipped is your choice. For those who like dual weapons, use two Moon Uchigatanas. For those who like to use a shield, either of the above will work. The main difference is whether you want high HitRes (Steel Shield) or high Magic defense (Dark Silver Shield).

Old King's Armor || Binded Set
    Monk's Head Wrappings
    Body Form: Ring of Magical Sharpness + (Clever Rat's Ring/ Eternal Warrior's Ring)
    Soul Form: Foe's Ring + Cling Ring

Recommended spells/miraclesPossible Spell sets:
    - Soul Ray, Ignite, Homing Soul Arrow
    - Fireball, Homing Soul Arrow, Poison Cloud
    - Fireball, Firestorm
    - Fire Spray, Fireball, Ignite
    Miracles:
    - Second Chance

Which spells you use are, again, based on playing style. This build gives 5 Spell Slots to work with. Experiment with different combinations. The sets I listed above were most effective for me.

Gameplay tips and progression
    This build isn't easy to use, but when mastered, can be very good. This is because it's unpredictable. Magic is the focus stat because it increases both spell and melee power. You can open up with a long-range spell, and when your enemy dodges, quickly close the distance and surprise them with melee. The fact that this build isn't often used makes it difficult to fight, as opponents must constantly change gears to avoid your varying attacks. The trick is to never stick with one style for long; change between Magic and Melee to keep your opponent on the defense. You will most likely get a good hit when you surprise them, and if you are paying attention and use your Magic to interrupt their healing, eventually they will be worn down.

The above class build might make it worthwhile to continue to create a magic character. First time I pvp'd against a magic class character I was not ready with my melee set up and I was destroyed in seconds!

Compound shortbow found in 1-2 leveled up a bit to +3 or +4 and it should'nt take more than 30 arrows.

How many arrows do you reckon it would take to kill the red dragon in 1-2 with this bow at +2 or +3, do you get anything for killing him even?

Killed the boss knight at the end of 1-2, pretty sweet.

Then tried level 3-1 and got what seemed like very far but died... My quality winged spear is flying it at the moment but I think I need some magic defense for this level

• Advertisement

The dragon takes Alot of arrows and a good bow(quality or sticky compound long bow(found in 4-1)). With decent stats around 60+ arrows. Seen guys with crap stats and bows use 100+.

As for 3-1 just try and ambush the squid heads, bow and arrow makes it handy enough. There's 2 things that really help with world 3 but both things are gotten at the end world bosses of 2 of the tougher levels.

Started a melee character last night, and also really enjoying that. Bog standard Soldier, but it's nice to be able to get in close and personal with enemies. Red Eye's kicked my ass though, so i might need to wait a while before killing him (without using fall damage).

I think i will go back to my Magic character as a main though, as i generally prefer magic characters.

The dragon takes Alot of arrows and a good bow(quality or sticky compound long bow(found in 4-1)). With decent stats around 60+ arrows. Seen guys with crap stats and bows use 100+.

As for 3-1 just try and ambush the squid heads, bow and arrow makes it handy enough. There's 2 things that really help with world 3 but both things are gotten at the end world bosses of 2 of the tougher levels.

My ~35 arrows prob wasn't gona do it then:o

I haven't really been using either my long bow or the compound bow I found due to lack of arrows, I do have loads of bolts but no crossbow. Is there any way to get a decent amount of arrows without buying them off the guy in the nexus? Even the mid level vendors only seem to sell bolts.

Is one of the things that would be useful the afore mentioned silver shield? Magic defense would seem to be useful against those squid head things.

Great game though, I've put in a good bit of time since it arrived Tuesday (for me anyway, don't usually get much time for playstation) but I can see how you could sink alot of hours into it...

My ~35 arrows prob wasn't gona do it then:o

I haven't really been using either my long bow or the compound bow I found due to lack of arrows, I do have loads of bolts but no crossbow. Is there any way to get a decent amount of arrows without buying them off the guy in the nexus? Even the mid level vendors only seem to sell bolts.

Is one of the things that would be useful the afore mentioned silver shield? Magic defense would seem to be useful against those squid head things.

Great game though, I've put in a good bit of time since it arrived Tuesday (for me anyway, don't usually get much time for playstation) but I can see how you could sink alot of hours into it...

You can get a crossbow in 1-1, after killing the first Blue Eye guy. Instead of going through the door where the fog was, jump off the wall in front of it and there's a crossbow there. I found it by chance after rolling the wrong way when fighting red eyes :P

Also finally found the Thief's Ring, which i could never find on my first playthrough.

Crossbows are'nt worth a toss. dudes in world 4 drop arrows randomly, but not at a huge drop rate.

The guy you want to buy arrows off is patches, you'll find him in 2-2, he's a dick but do not kill him he's the only source for heavy arrows. Once you interact with him in 2-2 or 4-2, he'll appear at the top of the steps in the nexus beside world 3's archstone.

The silver shield is the thing but where its got it a hella of alot more difficult than the squidheads area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

Fuk is it hard!!dont think i,ve died so much since I played MW2 after drinking sambuca!

Lab_Mouse wrote: »
    Fuk is it hard!!dont think i,ve died so much since I played MW2 after drinking sambuca!

It is hard, but it's the good hard...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

Yeah enjoying alright.Just have to be patient and not run in like a headless chicken button mashing.Also picking a barbarian as your first class didnt help no armour!!

@AnCapaillMor: You never mentioned you had to kill the two huge dragons in 1-1 to get the purple flame shield, is there a way to get it without killing them?

Yeah the crossbow is completely useless...

• Advertisement

@AnCapaillMor: You never mentioned you had to kill the two huge dragons in 1-1 to get the purple flame shield, is there a way to get it without killing them?

Yeah the crossbow is completely useless...

I went up there this weekend with my new Tower Knight, and the dragons weren't there. I think they disappear with White tendancy, but it was a new character, so i'm not sure how it happened. Glad for it though, as the Shield and Ring of Strength are fuppin great.

Advertisement