Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Get Your TV Licence Sorted

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Read my post earlier today , any equipemnet with a screen OVER 160 cm squared and that can receive ANY terrestrial broadcast and which device is located within the state of course :p
    well if you read my last one you see i mentioned hand held tv`s

Sparks wrote: »
    Time was robbie, yes, you did have to pay a licence fee for a receiver of any kind (like a scanner or an AM radio or whatever). You still need to pay a licence fee for several other kinds of radio (amateur radio, etc). Not having to pay a licence fee is more the exception than the rule.

yes but its tv licence`s we are talking about here, its simple, if you have a 40 inch monitor in your house with no other tuning equipment you dont need a licence, add in a sky box and you do, if you did`t pay and went into a court it will be said you have the ability to avail of RTE`s service, its not complex, Your right about amatuer radio, but you only pay if you have the specific radio using the amateur band, where as if someone has just a tv and dvd player with no intention of watching any television broadcasts, they must pay tv licence fee. Plus they sending reminders before old licence even out of date, i got 3 during nov-dec and it not due yet, and while we all take pay cuts they keep increasing, so its understandable when some are not too happy, i remember 3 or 4 years ago it jumped from 100 euro to 150 in a single go. Ridiculous

Sparks wrote: »
    Time was robbie, yes, you did have to pay a licence fee for a receiver of any kind (like a scanner or an AM radio or whatever). You still need to pay a licence fee for several other kinds of radio (amateur radio, etc). Not having to pay a licence fee is more the exception than the rule.

Anyway, ye almost need to be living in the rain forest to be exempt now, as you say, a receiver of any kind required a licence but now its a tv because everyone has one,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Just complain to Minsiter Ryan instead through http://www.eamonryan.ie/ or www.oir.ie or www.dcenr.ie , ideally all three .

Dont waste you time. Have written to him & some other green td's & they never reply.:(

As for the licence issue. I was always under the impression that you required a licence for each tv. has this been changed? if not will this not effect everyone, even if they have a tv licence?

snollup wrote: »
    Dont waste you time. Have written to him & some other green td's & they never reply.:(

As for the licence issue. I was always under the impression that you required a licence for each tv. has this been changed? if not will this not effect everyone, even if they have a tv licence?

One license for each household even if more than one tv, but seperate licence needed for second homes or holiday homes,

What if you bring the same tv from your main residence to your holiday home, i bet they would still look for a second licence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

howie2008 wrote: »
    I'm sure part of my SKY subscription goes into the State Coffers thru tax and broadcasting rights so I just see the TV license as being premised on very shaky law.

VAT will be applied to the service, that's it. The law is not "very shaky", it is solid and well established. Just because you don't agree with it, doesn't make it any less so.
    howie2008 wrote: »
    I was wondering if anyone dug deep into the law and the validity of "if you have a TV you need a TV license!" when u don't avail of the RTE service or infrastructure. I expect that all licenses in general can only be applied to services/consumers that ultimately consume state resources.
    Thanks

You expect wrongly. I don't want to claim dole, does that mean I can pay less income tax? No. It's a public service, and everyone pays. With a TV licence, you get the choice to have a TV or not. Don't want to pay a licence? Don't have a TV.
    snollup wrote: »
    As for the licence issue. I was always under the impression that you required a licence for each tv. has this been changed?

It didn't change, you never needed a licence for each TV in the one household. A lot of people are or have been under that impression. They are all wrong.
    robbie7730 wrote: »
    What if you bring the same tv from your main residence to your holiday home, i bet they would still look for a second licence.

Yes, unless you move the licence to the 2nd home with the TV, and then move it back again afterward. Otherwise, you'd need a licence at both premises.

jor el wrote: »
    Yes, unless you move the licence to the 2nd home with the TV, and then move it back again afterward. Otherwise, you'd need a licence at both premises.

Well i realised that really, but i dont really get the connection between ...."i dont want to claim dole, so should i pay less tax" ....and the not paying tv licence when cant actually watch RTE.
    You expect wrongly. I don't want to claim dole, does that mean I can pay less income tax? No. It's a public service, and everyone pays. With a TV licence, you get the choice to have a TV or not. Don't want to pay a licence? Don't have a TV.

PAYE goes on far more than dole payments, where as tv licence pays for
    RTE, and if people are not ever availing of RTE services then some might feel like not paying. So if someone for example has a 40 inch viewing monitor and a DVD recorder that has a tuner but only ever watches DVD`s, should they pay a tv licence fee?

As for not having a tv if dont want to pay a tv licence, well you can have just a monitor which does not require a tv licence but add in a DVD recorder with tuner and there you go, licence needed again even though there is no TV in the house.And what if the tv is in the attic out of use, well a tv licence is still needed
    Realistically its a fee that every house has to pay, You would almost have to have no electrical items in the house to be exempt.

Well i realised that really, but i dont really get the connection between ...."i dont want to claim dole, so should i pay less tax" ....and the not paying tv licence when cant actually watch RTE.
    I don't want to watch RTE, so why should I pay a licence to RTE -> I don't want to draw the dole, so I should pay less tax. I thought it was a simple connection.
    PAYE goes on far more than dole payments,
    I never said it didn't. Actually, I never mentioned PAYE.
    where as tv licence pays for
    RTE, and if people are not ever availing of RTE services then some might feel like not paying.

Whether you use or can even avail of the service is not up for debate. Not feeling like paying is not an option.
    So if someone for example has a 40 inch viewing monitor and a DVD recorder that has a tuner but only ever watches DVD`s, should they pay a tv licence fee?
    Yes. The licence is for any apparatus that capable of receiving a television broadcast signal.
    As for not having a tv if dont want to pay a tv licence, well you can have just a monitor which does not require a tv licence but add in a DVD recorder with tuner and there you go, licence needed again even though there is no TV in the house.And what if the tv is in the attic out of use, well a tv licence is still needed
    That is exactly the case. The licence is not just for televisions.
    Realistically its a fee that every house has to pay, You would almost have to have no electrical items in the house to be exempt.

Not really. It's very easy to avoid if you take the time to buy carefully. All you need are items that don't include a tuner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Not really. It's very easy to avoid if you take the time to buy carefully. All you need are items that don't include a tuner.

Even easier for RTE to be made a normal subscription service but I guess they and the government have no interest in that.

I disagree with paying for owning a TV tuner, why not a normal subscription service?

Oh right, its a tax not a service. Pay for the state propaganda network or get fined!

I don't own a transmitter, why do I need to pay for a license to receive a signal I don't even want to receive?

Its stupid, they know its stupid and they just don't want to give people the choice because they know what they'd choose.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

thebman wrote: »
    I don't own a transmitter, why do I need to pay for a license to receive a signal I don't even want to receive?.

Why do you have to pay motor tax on a car YOU own and is registered as on the road? :)

Basically if you don't want to pay the fee then don't have the device or in the example of above then declare your car as off the road :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Cabaal wrote: »
    Why do you have to pay motor tax on a car YOU own and is registered as on the road? :)

Basically if you don't want to pay the fee then don't have the device or in the example of above then declare your car as off the road :)

Why can't I declare I'm not using RTE services and not pay the TV license?

I can own a car and not pay road tax, I just can't use the public roads if I don't pay the road tax.

I should be able to own a TV and not pay a license for it if I don't use RTE services since it isn't really a license as there is no real reason to need a license to own a TV.

Its just an extra tax IMO.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Yes you can, how you do this is to not have a receiver then you don't pay the "tax" for owning a receiver
    I can own a car and not pay road tax, I just can't use the public roads if I don't pay the road tax.

Not sure what country your in because you pay MOTOR TAX not road tax. If your not driving it on public roads then its declared as off the road.
    I should be able to own a TV and not pay a license for it if I don't use RTE services since it isn't really a license as there is no real reason to need a license to own a TV.

It very well is just another tax but none the less if you have a reciver then you have to pay it.

Even if you have a UK TV which can't receive RTE you still have to pay it, its for the receiver not for what channels you actually watch.

Because it's not for the service, it's for the television apparatus itself. That's the way it has to be. If it were an opt in for those who do watch RTE, then everyone would simply claim they don't watch RTE, and no one would pay. Since the public service broadcast has to be paid for, we'd just pay for it in other taxes.
    If your car is off the road, then you're not using it for any purpose. If you don't watch RTE, you can still use the TV for other channels. The TV is in use, therefore the licence is needed.

There's no way to tell who does and doesn't use RTE, so as long as they're a public service broadcaster, the licence will remain.

Personally, I'd like to see RTE account for the licence fee, and show exactly where it is being spent. None of it should go on wages of the top presenters. None of it should go on crud like Fair City or Savage Eye. It should be spent on news, public information, current affairs and the website. Also, the fact that it is not free to air on satellite is a complete joke, but this was the deal RTE cooked up with Sky in order to not pay Sky any money. As a public service broadcaster, they should be FTA.

It is what it is, and I don't see it changing any time soon. I don't watch RTE, but I do use the radio and their website. I pay my licence because I have a television and FTA satellite for British TV stations.

There's no way to tell who does and doesn't use RTE, so as long as they're a public service broadcaster, the licence will remain.

Personally, I'd like to see RTE account for the licence fee, and show exactly where it is being spent. None of it should go on wages of the top presenters. None of it should go on crud like Fair City or Savage Eye. It should be spent on news, public information, current affairs and the website. Also, the fact that it is not free to air on satellite is a complete joke, but this was the deal RTE cooked up with Sky in order to not pay Sky any money. As a public service broadcaster, they should be FTA.

It is what it is, and I don't see it changing any time soon. I don't watch RTE, but I do use the radio and their website. I pay my licence because I have a television and FTA satellite for British TV stations.

Thats the whole point, its called a TV licence, you need it to own a tv. Why is it called a tv licence? It is to make sure they cover as high a percentage of people as they can, the money goes straight to RTE and nowhere else or so we are told. You can say all you like about owning a
    tv and being able to watch other channels and so you pay your licence, i have sky dish etc, and CAN NOT watch RTE because its not free to air. And while its called a TV licence, thats just a label, its a tax to pay RTE collected by the government, and even if i get rid of the tv i am still required to have a licence once the dish is up, so what use is a dish to me with no tv, again its just to make sure everyone is in the net, thats why i JOKED about almost needing a licence once you have any electrical devices in the house.

If they bring out a mobile phone tax will that be the same, You need a tv licence to have a tuner in a video player even if you have no tv- is a video player a tv?, well i also said you almost need a licence to have anything electrical in the house, and your back with a serious answer saying ``not really, just dont have anything with a tuner``, haha i dont think you need to be so serious in every answer.

At the end of the day its simple, a tv licence is needed for a tv, i dont thing anyone is arguing that, but RTE should be free to air on sky, but thats just the way it is,

You are either a tv licence inspector yourself, or the pope, as the pope is said to be infallible in all he says as well. (JOKING)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

the money goes straight to RTE and nowhere else or so we are told.

Eh no, not all of it. Some of it is diverted into some programme making fund somewhere.

If they bring out a mobile phone tax will that be the same, You need a tv licence to have a tuner in a video player even if you have no tv- is a video player a tv?, well i also said you almost need a licence to have anything electrical in the house, and your back with a serious answer saying ``not really, just dont have anything with a tuner``, haha i dont think you need to be so serious in every answer.

I'm sorry if my serious answers are upsetting you, but this is not After hours, or The Cuckoo's nest, this is a serious matter and a serious thread.

You may be joking about a mobile phone tax, but I have said previously that I believe any device with an Internet connection is now a television and will require a TV licence, as defined under the new legislation. Unless computers and mobile phones are specifically exempted by the Minister, which they currently are not, then the legislation applies. Any device capable of receiving and displaying a television broadcast signal requires a licence. The minister mentioned that RTE Player does not qualify as a broadcast (broadcast means it's received by many people simultaneously, or near simultaneously). Web TV channels are broadcast simultaneously to millions of people, and anyone with an Internet connection can receive them.

If they decide to start enforcing the legislation as it is currently worded, then even a mobile phone would qualify as a TV. Fortunately, this hasn't happened yet.

You are either a tv licence inspector yourself, or the pope, as the pope is said to be infallible in all he says as well. (JOKING)

Funnily enough, it is one of the things I've done in the past. The licence inspection bit, not the Pope bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 patt1616

Quote: Read my post earlier today , any equipemnet with a screen OVER 160 cm squared and that can receive ANY terrestrial broadcast and which device is located within the state of course tongue.gif

Is it 160 Square cm or 160 cm square. What about a little tv with a magnifying glass. Years ago there was a unit you could buy to put on the front of a tv to make the image bigger,except that you had to be directly in front of the tv for it to work , or would that be cheating, or would the minister call it fraud?______________

It would be legal cheating if removeable.

If affixed to the television with a non 'green' glue ( ie a glue that actually worked unlike Minister Ryan himself ) it would be counted as the screen .

On a more serious note, the regulation would appear to cover an all in one cable box even if no TV service is provisioned and would also cover an IPTV modem if you had one.

Read it again. This is a murky regulation if ever I saw one :(

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63857997&postcount=177

I'm sorry if my serious answers are upsetting you, but this is not After hours, or The Cuckoo's nest, this is a serious matter and a serious thread.

You may be joking about a mobile phone tax, but I have said previously that I believe any device with an Internet connection is now a television and will require a TV licence, as defined under the new legislation. Unless computers and mobile phones are specifically exempted by the Minister, which they currently are not, then the legislation applies. Any device capable of receiving and displaying a television broadcast signal requires a licence. The minister mentioned that RTE Player does not qualify as a broadcast (broadcast means it's received by many people simultaneously, or near simultaneously). Web TV channels are broadcast simultaneously to millions of people, and anyone with an Internet connection can receive them.

If they decide to start enforcing the legislation as it is currently worded, then even a mobile phone would qualify as a TV. Fortunately, this hasn't happened yet.

Funnily enough, it is one of the things I've done in the past. The licence inspection bit, not the Pope bit.

Well your serious answers are hardly upsetting me, im sorry if i am not being serious enough, and if thats upsetting you, -i never seen a tv licence inspector smile at the door before, but anyway, the rte player could`t qualify as a broadcast as surely it has to be the actual current transmitted broadcast we pay a licence for.
    We have to pay, thats fair enough, but in reality they will always catch as many people in the net as possible by including everything they can in the tv licence bracket. But if someone has no tv, no tuners what so ever, and has to pay because they have a pc and broadband, well i would have to say thats goin a bit far.

As for not being after hours or the cookoo`s nest and no having a laugh allowed, I guess the inspector bit is hard to get out of the blood.

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »

We pay motor tax because our cars drive on the road, the road needs to be maintained, if we go on 6 month holiday you dont need to pay the motor tax, but we can still own our car while it is parked in the driveway. If i go on holiday for a year and no one even enters the house at all i still need to pay the tv licence so comparing it to motor tax is rubbish,
    Licences are a form of regulation, but in the case of tv licence its just a tax. The radio licence years ago was because everyone had a radio, once everyone had a tv it became a tv licence. If every single household and business in ireland had broadband it might become a broadband/tv licence, then the `licence inspectors` on this thread would say well if you have broadband you must pay the licence even if just using for emails.

If they do expect people to pay the tv licence for just having broadband, is that ok too? So someone who decided to never have a tv gets a notebook and broadband, and suddenly they are expected to pay the licence, or someone with a small business and has broadband in for business only,, now finds they have to pay a tv licence. So the arguement from the tv licence fans that if you dont want to pay the licence dont have a tv will be gone as well. I pay the licence every year, and as it happens cant tune in rte, and at the end of the day the money is to pay for rte and i dont avail of it at all. I also pay motor tax, and do avail of the roads.

And also, as licence fee payers we should have the right to see rte free to air on sky like the bbc is, because as well as paying the licence, people would also have to pay sky or ntl to have rte in. Thats wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭the_law

And also, as licence fee payers we should have the right to see rte free to air on sky like the bbc is

No, RTE should never be broadcast in the clear on satellite. Have you ever noticed how RTE is often able to secure movies and TV shows either at the same time or just before the UK stations? It's because you can't receive RTE in the UK.

There are bidding wars, in huge sums of money, for the rights to broadcast something first to the UK market. If RTE was free to air, everyone in the UK could see us, and we'd have to bid against Channel 4 for rights, which we could never afford.

the_law wrote: »
    No, RTE should never be broadcast in the clear on satellite. Have you ever noticed how RTE is often able to secure movies and TV shows either at the same time or just before the UK stations? It's because you can't receive RTE in the UK.

There are bidding wars, in huge sums of money, for the rights to broadcast something first to the UK market. If RTE was free to air, everyone in the UK could see us, and we'd have to bid against Channel 4 for rights, which we could never afford.

I have`t noticed anything they do as i just have free to air channels through satellite.

And im sure RTE can be broadcast in such a way as only republic viewers can see, channel 4 now and then has films on the free view channel on sky, but not available to republic of ireland viewers. Im sure sky could have RTE not available to UK viewers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭the_law

And im sure RTE can be broadcast in such a way as only republic viewers can see, channel 4 now and then has films on the free view channel on sky, but not available to republic of ireland viewers. Im sure sky could have RTE not available to UK viewers.

Sky do exactly what you say... RTE not available to UK viewers, by encrypting it. The only way to make a channel selectively available is via encryption. Everything on Astra 2D covers this area - it's a function of the transponder design of the satellite.

the_law wrote: »
    Sky do exactly what you say... RTE not available to UK viewers, by encrypting it. The only way to make a channel selectively available is via encryption. Everything on Astra 2D covers this area - it's a function of the transponder design of the satellite.

well it could be shown to ireland only, and it should be, it can certainly be done.
    It is encrypted so should be decrypted for ireland as its an irish channel paid for by
    irelands population, why should we have to pay extra to see our own channel after paying the
    licence fee, after all, im sure its on the astra to again bring sky into the tv licence net.

My bad wording in saying free to air, decrypted for irish viewers is what i should of said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭bealfeirste5

Exactly how much is a TV licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭peaceboi

Do i need a tv licence for playing my xbox live on my new samsung lcd?? i have broadband, and pc is also hooked on to it. But i dont 've a set box or any receiver or connection to any terrestrial, please reply, a bit confused. Thank u.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

If you own a TV, you need a TV license.

• Advertisement

peaceboi wrote: »
    Do i need a tv licence for playing my xbox live on my new samsung lcd?? i have broadband, and pc is also hooked on to it. But i dont 've a set box or any receiver or connection to any terrestrial, please reply, a bit confused. Thank u.

You do need a licence alright. They call it a tv licence so as no matter what the tv is used for, RTE/government catch every tv owner in the net even if they never ever switch it on. At the end of the day it is a tax for RTE, if in a few years no one uses a tv anymore but everyone uses a holographic projector (example only), then it will be a holographic projector licence we need.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement