Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currys deface Irish flag

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

O'Coonassa wrote: »
    Er..we were taken over by the Pope and his Normans and the feckers still haven't left. Britain didn't exist until 1707.
    Cormac of Cashel [ writing in 908 ad] records that-the power of the irish over the britons was great,and they had divided britain between them into estates-and the irish lived as much east of the sea as they did in ireland--- i see things havent changed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Lance Buckman

Now, my point is, they are paying the same price per unit whether its in the UK or Ireland, so how come we Irish have to pay a lot more for the same products than our compatriots in the UK? I know the usual answers will be churned out - higher wages, higher overheads but i cannot accept this.

Accept it or not, it's a fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Now, my point is, they are paying the same price per unit whether its in the UK or Ireland, so how come we Irish have to pay a lot more for the same products than our compatriots in the UK? I know the usual answers will be churned out - higher wages, higher overheads but i cannot accept this.

Accept it or not, it's a fact.

Why not, it is the truth. Compare minimum wage between here and the UK. I think gas and electricity are 67% higher here than the UK and then there's the question of the stupidly high rent charged for commercial property in this country......

Add on that these shops aren't charities and there isn't too much in the way of competition as well.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Lance Buckman

Currys in Ireland is run by and Irish company, DSG Ireland. It's an irish campaign.

Their boss was on the radio the other day pushing the issue that VAT in ireland is 6.5% than the UK. So their new prices are the UK prices converted at the same rate that you get in the bank on that given week.

Whether their stuff is still expensive or not I think he's making a very valid point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Hagar wrote: »
    Just to address a more serious point of this mis-begotten ad campaign.

Isn't it mis-leading to claim that the customer is only paying UK VAT when by law you must pay tha Irish VAT rate? They can drop their prices and charge what they like but what they are saying is blatantantly untrue. Either that or they are breaking the law by not charging the correct VAT rate as required.

Ryanair do the same sometimes. They quite often claim that in their promotions you "pay no taxes", but someone has to. I guess in terms of advertising it is not misleading the consumer because the consumer isn't paying, the seller is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Seaneh wrote: »
    Where have you given such an example?

The Ivory Coast government requests that all other governments refer to it by the name "Côte d'Ivoire" and that "Ivory Coast" and numerous other multilingual names are invalid. I'm pretty sure that most references to it in the English language still use the English name, however.

_________-

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I've rarely seen something less offensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I've rarely seen something less offensive.

Really?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

AHHH TAKE IT FROM MINE EYES. FILTH

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

amacachi wrote: »

That actually did offend me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Irish people deface the Irish flag on a daily basis, so this is hardly shocking stuff.

Especially considering it's not the Irish flag that's being defaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,672 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

obriend wrote: »
    Hi,

Did anyone see Currys disgraceful add in Metro this morning. Page 15 to 17 is an add for currys but they put an English flag in the Irish colours. This has to be some sort of crime against the history of Ireland and its people as they outright deface our flag in a well populated paper. I for one will never buy from curry’s. :mad: Below is the link, if it asks for an e-mail address just enter any letters and it will let you in.

http://img.e-metro.ie/e-edition-ie/A17fo7/Metroire20090430/resources/index.htm?referrerUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.e-metro.ie%2Fe-metro-ie
    Is that really any worse that what I did to the Irish Flag? Really?

http://media.photobucket.com/image/irish%20american%20flag/1r1shman/Irish-AmericanSmaller.jpg

(except I used stars. Cant remember when I last had the image on me)'

You appear to be making a big deal out of nothing though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

Jesus I have just painted green white and orange in broad horizantal lines, have I defaced the flag?! How many hail marys should I say? I totally apologise for the indignation I have caused

Once again Sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

getz wrote: »
    union flag -made up of the cross of st george of england-the cross of st andrew of scotland-and the cross of st patrick of ireland--it is only called the union jack when it is on the flag pole or on a ship-the welsh flag is not on it as the country is a principality--as a englishman you can do what you want with it ,its just a bit of cloth--

Just call it the Butcher's Apron from now on if you want to keep the IRA heads onside.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

obriend wrote: »
    Hi,

Did anyone see Currys disgraceful add in Metro this morning. Page 15 to 17 is an add for currys but they put an English flag in the Irish colours.
    It's the British flag, not just for England. This is what it should look like:
    flag.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

By the sounds of the OP, I thought they covered the flag in poop and flew outside one of their shops...this really nothing to be worked up over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

What's this about someones curry chips all over the Irish flag? :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

I just want to point out that two of the tags for this thread are "i prefer the tikka" & "indian curry's" :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭shezzie

there is nothing whatsoever offensive about it - certainly we cant be that sensitive bout irish/english stuff now unless someone is obviously and directly ignorant/abusive - i would take that add with a pince of salt, even laughed at it

go on and get an indian curry - ooppss i am using the irish flag colours to make a point - pls dont flog me

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Some pretty dam good deals down in Currys today.

Fair play to them, got my attention anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Yeah, i agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

Me and my family were spitting feathers when this ad came on the other day. The aul boy nearly had a heart attack he was that worked up.

Listening to some of the views on this thread its clear the Irish really haven't a clue when someone is taking the piss outta them and mocking them. Currys may as well have just come out and said "we still have northern ireland na na nana na," and to be honest I would have had more respect for them than this sly, passive aggressive bullsh1t.

I will never be buying anything from them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Me and my family were spitting feathers when this ad came on the other day. The aul boy nearly had a heart attack he was that worked up.

awh, that's so cute...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Listening to some of the views on this thread its clear the Irish really haven't a clue when someone is taking the piss outta them and mocking them. Currys may as well have just come out and said "we still have northern ireland na na nana na," and to be honest I would have had more respect for them than this sly, passive aggressive bullsh1t.

You see all the pubs in Ireland hanging the Tricolour outside? You should probably avoid them as well, in the interest of fairness of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭magenta73

I am also very offended at this stupid advertisment, I wont be shopping there again! I think lots of people here have short memories, were you asleep during your history lesson in school? maybe we should put the union jack back over the GPO!

btw my father is British and I love him very much but Curry's is taking the P**s!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Good for you boy, don't let them tans ruin our country with their low cost electronics. Paying way over the odds is just the way we Irish do things and if ye don't like it feck off back to ye're highly competitive market places!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

They have done absolutely nothing to the Irish flag. You could possibly say that they have defaced the British flag but I seriously doubt if anyone in Britain cares about it. Also I'm sure I remember seeing an RTE documentary a while back where they did the same shocking defacement of the British flag as the title sequence for a show on Irish lads serving in the UK forces.

That's right, you show them. Everyone should get all of their electronics/ computer gear from PC World from now on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

robinph wrote: »
    That's right, you show them. Everyone should get all of their electronics/ computer gear from PC World from now on.

Or Dixons'. LOL.

I wonder do any of the complainers in this thread complain when they see soccer fans defacing the tricolour with the names of their favourite soccer club? I'm guessing not.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement