Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currys deface Irish flag

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

obriend wrote: »
    they outright deface our flag in a well populated paper

The Union Flag is not our flag anymore...

And curiously neither is the Irish Flag
    ie-green.gif

Instead we're left with some green white and gold (sic) Shinner flag circa 1916 which pruports to be the Young Irelanders flag but actually isn't on account of the fact that it flies the wrong way round and had the orange segment widely and liberally altered to Vatican Yellow. Curry's never went near it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

The Irish flag (as per the Irish Constitution, Article 7) is green white and orange.

http://www.taoiseach.gov.ie/index.asp?docID=242

The green flag with the harp was never the national Irish flag.

Just FYI, of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

How much for a camera? Inflation once again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Jame$

The original Irish Flag was the harp on a Blue background, not green.

Paulw wrote: »
    The Irish flag (as per the Irish Constitution, Article 7) is green white and orange.

http://www.taoiseach.gov.ie/index.asp?docID=242

The green flag with the harp was never the national Irish flag.

Just FYI, of course.

Of course you're right but.....The Society of United Irishmen, a republican movement which emerged in the 1790s, used a gold harp on a green field (the 'Green Flag'). This flag was carried in the rebellions of 1798 and 1803 and it quickly achieved popular acceptance as the national flag. The flag was used during the widespread peaceful agitations for 'Repeal' of the act of union in the 1830s and 1840s but was viewed as a seditious emblem by the British authorities. In 1848 the Repeal movement split and the radical wing (known as 'Young Ireland') adopted both republican ideas and a tricolour inspired by that of the second French republic. The Young Ireland rebellion of 1848 was quite a small affair and the tricolour flag was largely forgotten until the twentieth century. The next revolutionary movement, the Irish Republican Brotherhood (or 'Fenians') of the 1860s, was much more formidable and it reverted to using the Green Flag. That flag was also used by all the nationalist politicians who campaigned for 'Home Rule' (devolved government within the United Kingdom). By about 1880 or so the Green Flag had become officially tolerated to the extent that one was no longer likely to be arrested for displaying it, but it never had any official status and was always seen as a nationalist emblem.(lifted for convenience sake from http://flagspot.net/flags/ie-green.html)

As far as I care the Green Flag is the Irish Flag and the other yoke is a Shinner imposter.

• Advertisement

Jame$ wrote: »
    The original Irish Flag was the harp on a Blue background, not green.

Indeed but that was a Royalist flag and not a Republican one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Jame$

O'Coonassa wrote: »
    Indeed but that was a Royalist flag and not a Republican one.
    So I'm right then!

So I'm right then!

I'd daresay you nearly always are ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭nedoo

And the brilliant marketing dept in Currys has just achieved what it set out to do!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Will someone please think of the prices.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

I wouldn't be offended by it..just think times have changed when the union jack is changed to try and incorporate Irish colours..

Think it looks tacky, cheap and bad.. nothing to do with the Irish flag it just looks cheap..

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Thread of the year so far - starts with a moan about an electrical shop's advert and finishes with discussion about 1798 rebellion & royalism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I'm glad they didn't deface our flag with the Union Jack colours. That would have been the worst thing that could every possibly happen in the history of the whole world...

frenchflag.gif
    Sacré bleu!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭dogeyknees

Have to say that i was kind of annoyed by it.. i just thought whoever came up with this idea was a bit of a doughnut. Currys are a UK company and it came across as condescending - now that times are bad we'll give you the same prices as we give our UK customers.

Why couldn't they have done that from the start? Why is it the stg price is always a LOT less than the euro price? Its not down to overheads - yes it may cost more to operate in certain areas in Ireland, but its also cheaper in the rural areas - you cannot tell me that its dearer to run a store in Carlow than in London?! The same applies to most of the mainstream UK companies who have seriously cheaper stg prices. What i don't get is when people travel North, they go into these same UK chains that are ripping us off and hand their money over - maybe im stubborn but i refuse to do this as it won't solve the problem because they are getting their money anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Hi everyone. I work in currys. i was in work today, helping put up these posters. when the store opened we got some very bemused and *tut tut* looks from passer's by.
    My oppinion is that it is in some was offensive, both to British and Irish, "God save a fortune". Im sure the Queen wouldnt like that. Plus, God should be left out of business.

Just want to know your oppinons and views. any negative and positve feedback will be posted to Head Office in the morning and i will report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

dogeyknees wrote: »
    Have to say that i was kind of annoyed by it.. i just thought whoever came up with this idea was a bit of a doughnut. Currys are a UK company and it came across as condescending - now that times are bad we'll give you the same prices as we give our UK customers.

Why couldn't they have done that from the start? Why is it the stg price is always a LOT less than the euro price? Its not down to overheads - yes it may cost more to operate in certain areas in Ireland, but its also cheaper in the rural areas - you cannot tell me that its dearer to run a store in Carlow than in London?! The same applies to most of the mainstream UK companies who have seriously cheaper stg prices. What i don't get is when people travel North, they go into these same UK chains that are ripping us off and hand their money over - maybe im stubborn but i refuse to do this as it won't solve the problem because they are getting their money anyhow.

Its as simple as this:

Currys ireand buy their stock from the uk.

So, lets say you own a shop that sells toothbrushes, and you get your stock in from the UK.

So you see the Brushmatic 3000" to buy in bulk at 4 euros a brush.
    You do.

To make a profit on each brush you sell each one at 6 Euro.

Thus making €2.

So in the process of selling them at that price the toothbrush economy goes up in the UK and all the prices come down.

So you can now buy your new stock in at 3.50each.

You still need to sell through your stock and make enough money to buy in more at cheaper and be able to sell it off cheaper too.

Just think of this on a bigger scale and there you have Currys today.

They are getting around to being able to buy in their products now at british prices which means they will be able to sell them off now as cheap as the north/UK.

Bout frickin time, maybe now the irish economy cycle will pick up at last.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Agreed - Free Publicity!

Very clever marketing ploy.

They haven't defaced the Irish flag, they have defaced the British Flag [not the English Flag btw]

No such thing as a British Flag, its a Jack!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭ceegee

Personally I find John Dalys fashion choices (pg28) more offensive to my eyes than the flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭return guide

ch750536 wrote: »
    No such thing as a British Flag, its a Jack!

Union Flag, nick named Union Jack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

nedoo wrote: »
    And the brilliant marketing dept in Currys has just achieved what it set out to do!!!!!!

The only thing they've achieved is I could murder a ruby right now after reading this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Dont know about you lot but I got stuck on page 13 of that Newspaper Louise and Sarah Kavanagh got my attention more :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Union Flag, nick named Union Jack

Naa, started out as a Jack (King James I think), was only used on boats for the first 200 years, hence Jack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Purple Gorilla

800 years of oppression and all that...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

NIGER

CRAKER :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

All joking aside, does any of this (the new form of marketing that currys has thought up)
    change anyones views on currys?

For the better or worse, or even any difference in the prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

For Currys, I think that the skull and crossbones would be more appropriate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its the Union Flag and the Ensign is whats used at sea (on boats)!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

AAAAApNGAtAAAAAAAPN44g.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Feck that

DeweyBridgeBurning-741755.jpg

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

mike65 wrote: »
    Feck that

:D

:eek:

err... but "build a bridge" made sense here... "burn your bridges," while awesome, doesn't quite fit the context :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement