Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currys deface Irish flag

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭dogeyknees

C-B-G wrote: »
    Its as simple as this:

Currys ireand buy their stock from the uk.

So, lets say you own a shop that sells toothbrushes, and you get your stock in from the UK.

So you see the Brushmatic 3000" to buy in bulk at 4 euros a brush.
    You do.

To make a profit on each brush you sell each one at 6 Euro.

Thus making €2.

So in the process of selling them at that price the toothbrush economy goes up in the UK and all the prices come down.

So you can now buy your new stock in at 3.50each.

You still need to sell through your stock and make enough money to buy in more at cheaper and be able to sell it off cheaper too.

Just think of this on a bigger scale and there you have Currys today.

They are getting around to being able to buy in their products now at british prices which means they will be able to sell them off now as cheap as the north/UK.

Bout frickin time, maybe now the irish economy cycle will pick up at last.

I cant see the point you are trying to make? This not something that has just started to happen this weekend. Currys buy their stock in bulk, this is then distributed to England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Ireland.

Now, my point is, they are paying the same price per unit whether its in the UK or Ireland, so how come we Irish have to pay a lot more for the same products than our compatriots in the UK? I know the usual answers will be churned out - higher wages, higher overheads but i cannot accept this. Surely if they wanted to be fair they would offer the products at the same base price in all branches (then factor in currency and VAT). Their Irish based competitors have to buy their stock on a much smaller level whilst also taking into account the paddy whackery that was happening on the market. Their Irish counterparts seem to somehow remain competitive as im sure they are taking less margin in order to be competitive.

My reason for being annoyed by the advert is that it essentially boils down to the fact that they could be more competitive but won't as they know that we will cross the border and buy from them anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Two thirds of Italy is also outraged.

good one :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Wacko

Don't see the problem with the Curry's ad if anything you should be annoyed at Guinness and William Hill for writing all over our flag and them handing them out..............oh and those gob****es at Irish matches who think it is perfectly ok to deface the flag with something like 'Man U 4eva' or people who like to wear them as some sort of skirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

dodgy knees, the point i was trying to make is how for the last while currys have had to be selling their stock at the same price regardless of a recession or not, so now they can bring in new stock at even lower prices.

And obviously the market in ireland is nothing like what it is, or was in england.

So they dont get as many products to sell in the irish market as they do in england.
    Making each product just that slight but more in value because they need to try and make a profit on every product sold.

Does that clear my point up? :)

Not really C-B-G, i understand that they are probably buying for less now but my point is that they could have been giving us products at the same price as the UK for a long time... same applies to all UK companies that have indulged themselves in ripping us off. Im sure even now if you went up the North you would still find a better deal in a Currys up there than down here, even at these 'reduced' prices. If you have chain of stores you should be fair in your pricing and keep it the same across the board (and then factor in VAT and currency) - thats why this campaign annoys me... we all know that there was a massive discrepancy in UK vs Irish pricing and headlines such as 'UK prices on your doorstep' only highlights this! If they were being fair in the first place then there would be no need to make such statements as the UK and Irish pricing would be the same.. do you not see where im coming from???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Union Flag, nick named Union Jack

Yes, it's only truly called the Union Jack if it's on a ship.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    Just want to know your oppinons and views. any negative and positve feedback will be posted to Head Office in the morning and i will report back.

OK then. When will there be a currys.ie website with products and pricing?

The website ye have now has been "under construction" for quite some time. I check every now and again. (I checked it there before I posted this).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Who in God's green earth thought this was a Consumer Issue? Moved to After Hours.

dudara

dodgy knees, the point i was trying to make is how for the last while currys have had to be selling their stock at the same price regardless of a recession or not, so now they can bring in new stock at even lower prices.

And obviously the market in ireland is nothing like what it is, or was in england.

So they dont get as many products to sell in the irish market as they do in england.
    Making each product just that slight but more in value because they need to try and make a profit on every product sold.

Does that clear my point up? :)

Looking back at my post i should really make this clear. Currys say they are giving Irish consumers products at the UK VAT rate. Therefore if i was to take an itinerary of 20 products in Currys in Dublin, scoot on over the border and check the prices up there, the only difference in price would be the exchange rate. I would bet any money that this wouldn't be the case. The arguments would be overheads, wages etc but this is a company, not a franchise or co-op so the expenses should be split as the profits are going into the one place. This is what grinds my gears about UK companies who are ripping us off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

obriend wrote: »
    Hi,

Did anyone see Currys disgraceful add in Metro this morning. Page 15 to 17 is an add for currys but they put an English flag in the Irish colours. This has to be some sort of crime against the history of Ireland and its people as they outright deface our flag in a well populated paper. I for one will never buy from curry’s. :mad: Below is the link, if it asks for an e-mail address just enter any letters and it will let you in.
    They didn't deface our flag. They defaced the union jack using other colours...

Like he said and besides, the Irish government has been peeing on the rest of us basically for years - what Currys might have done by mistake is just the much lesser of other evils done to us - by our own!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Well the ad worked didnt it...got you to make a thread here about it

I do indeed see where your coming from man, dont get me wrong.

In this instance it obviously reverts back to the fact that currys are an english brand. Back years ago they seen a niche in the irish market and brought their product to our shores.

But back then when prices were what they were, there wasn't much point in travelling to the north simply because the prices weren't that much different.

But now when Britain and in specific, Gordon Brown, decided to cut the VAT as much as he did, all of the nothern prices seemed so much better for this reason.

Yeah i was ashamed to say i travelled up to newry to buy some things once, it was a few furnishings for the house, nothing major, was going to argos because i seen shelves on the site.
    Decided up there after seeing there was no "Reserve and collect" on the page.
    So we went up, put the numbers into the box and it told us there was no collection in store, only that of home delivery.

Put in another few items, and the same thing kept coming up.
    So i went to the counter, found a friendly face and had a word.

I asked were they doing delieveries to the south, to which they politely replied no, and then it was revealed to me that it was one of the managers who i was speaking to.
    He told me that Argos UK had seen such a major decline in the irish figures and didnt like it.
    So to deter southern shoppers from going they started a no southern deliveries policy.

And the most shocking thing he revealed to me is that Argos newry had hit its YEARLY target, (which i estimated to be about 750,000 at least. 15,000pound, by 52 weeks) over a course of 5 weeks coming up to christmas.

It was refreshing to hear that the nothern argos bosses were thinking of us and put these limitations in.

Maybe currys should think of doing the same thing.

Prices will no doubt go back to how they were, in the idea that the new stock is being bought in at the VAT-less prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

This almost as bad as that time we were taken over by Britain for 800 hundred years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

They can do whatever they like to whatever flag they like, as long as they offer good value.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

dogeyknees wrote: »
    Looking back at my post i should really make this clear. Currys say they are giving Irish consumers products at the UK VAT rate. Therefore if i was to take an itinerary of 20 products in Currys in Dublin, scoot on over the border and check the prices up there, the only difference in price would be the exchange rate. I would bet any money that this wouldn't be the case. The arguments would be overheads, wages etc but this is a company, not a franchise or co-op so the expenses should be split as the profits are going into the one place. This is what grinds my gears about UK companies who are ripping us off.

Why should they take the hit on higher wages here, higher electricity costs higher insurance costs, it is not the UK companies ripping us off. You are aware Ireland has become a very expensive country to do business in, should we not be making ourselves more competitive then we would have closer prices.

F1ngers wrote: »
    OK then. When will there be a currys.ie website with products and pricing?

The website ye have now has been "under construction" for quite some time. I check every now and again. (I checked it there before I posted this).

Apparently, going by currys themselves, the cost of making a website costs a little too much these days because they wanted to get it done when dixons evolved into currys a few months ago.

But back then when prices were what they were, there wasn't much point in travelling to the north simply because the prices weren't that much different.

Actually they have been pretty much for the last 7-10 years in my experience, people did not travel to the North because people maybe got slightly carried away with the celtic tiger and so were not really interested in finding bargains.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

800 years of oppression and all that...

Not trying to Curry favour or anything, but we should also mention Nazi Germany, then this thread will have everything.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Leprachaun

I actually think the flag is quite cool tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Genesis 25:31

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Leprachaun wrote: »
    I actually think the flag is quite cool tbh.

The Irish Jack.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Just when you think you've read the stupidest thread ever, a moderator moves another one into a more obvious place.

Hagar wrote: »
    Genesis 25:31
    31 Jacob replied, "First sell me your birthright."

Nice. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

When I heard Currys deface flag, I immediately thought of a bunch of people throwing currys at an Irish flag or something.

Anyway I'm think we should change the Irish flag anyway, it's so boring and dull. I'd rather see the Irish flag with a bit more artistic expression to it you know, maybe draw a Tiger eating a Dinosaur or a Shark walking on land. Colours are boring and have no real coolness about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Anyway I'm think we should change the Irish flag anyway, it's so boring and dull. I'd rather see the Irish flag with a bit more artistic expression to it you know, maybe draw a Tiger eating a Dinosaur or a Shark walking on land. Colours are boring and have no real coolness about them.

Nah the tiger should be eating some banks and ****ting the product all over people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

KTRIC wrote: »
    Bad form defacing anyones flag.
    foxinsox wrote: »
    I wouldn't be offended by it..just think times have changed when the union jack is changed to try and incorporate Irish colours..

Think it looks tacky, cheap and bad.. nothing to do with the Irish flag it just looks cheap
    It's just a flag. Haven't seen the ad but it seems quite clever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

they have named it the "paddy jack."

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Why should they take the hit on higher wages here, higher electricity costs higher insurance costs, it is not the UK companies ripping us off. You are aware Ireland has become a very expensive country to do business in, should we not be making ourselves more competitive then we would have closer prices.

All the profits go to the same place so in the interests of fairness the expenses should be split equally - im sure the costs of their shops in the likes of London, Manchester, Edinburgh all cost a lot more to run than say the likes of stores in smaller towns like Bolton etc but they all charge the same price. Its unfair to target one specific demographic when there is disparity in expense throughout all the branches. I agree this is an expensive country to operate in (London is also extremely expensive) but im sure when they were creaming it with the 'celtic tiger' their Irish stores were making a lot more money than other UK based stores.

Also, how is it their Irish competitors remain competitive - they have the same overheads but would be paying more per unit than Currys as they wouldn't be buying anywhere near the bulk Currys do? I bought a house a just over a year ago and have been doing a lot of pricing when looking about for goods and nearly every time the Irish companies have come up trumps for pricing and are definitely more agreeable to haggling.

Just in regards to the website comment - i do a lot of website work and that reason is tosh. They have a website that they can just modify for the Irish market - everything is there already, very little development required. It doesn't take a whole lot to maintain a website like that as all the images, spec etc would be available from the UK site. The reason they don't have an Irish site is because it would infuriate people more to easily see the difference in price between the Irish and UK.

Anyhow, good night and God bless... its great being back on boards! (although my work may suffer!)

Just in regards to the website comment - i do a lot of website work and that reason is tosh. They have a website that they can just modify for the Irish market - everything is there already, very little development required. It doesn't take a whole lot to maintain a website like that as all the images, spec etc would be available from the UK site. The reason they don't have an Irish site is because it would infuriate people more to easily see the difference in price between the Irish and UK.

Could not agree more.

Its a stupid answer.

• Advertisement

All the profits go to the same place so in the interests of fairness the expenses should be split equally - im sure the costs of their shops in the likes of London, Manchester, Edinburgh all cost a lot more to run than say the likes of stores in smaller towns like Bolton etc but they all charge the same price. Its unfair to target one specific demographic when there is disparity in expense throughout all the branches. I agree this is an expensive country to operate in (London is also extremely expensive) but im sure when they were creaming it with the 'celtic tiger' their Irish stores were making a lot more money than other UK based stores.

Doesn't matter where the profits go, at the end of the day we have been a very expensive place to do business even compared to London, this is likely to change slowly , labour costs in the private sector are starting to fall, companies are there to maxamise profits,sadly fairness does not come into it, maybe you should be contacting your TD, asking to drive down costs here.

You are correct Irish stores were amongst the most profitable compared to UK stores during the Celtic Tiger, but sure we were spending like there was no tomorrow. Now that things have changed people will be more prudent.

Remember it is not just UK companies that charge different prices between UK and Ireland, can someone confirm if Irish stores charge the same prices here as in the North? As far as I know they don't.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement