Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currys deface Irish flag

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

OP you find the currys ad vile

I find this vile.

Remember when the queen came to Dublin. Dublin people stood on the streets waving union jack flags.

Call yourselves Irish? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

noblankski wrote: »
    so whats with the girls, they cousins? seem the be getting all wet fairly rapid ther like while giving eachother a nice hug, seem fairly happy bout that, and that make me happy, , what would irish page 3 look like , caroline morahan and grainie seioge(spell s not good) in the nude, topless, mmmm, together, mmmm, i like brunettes, i like blonds too, don't worry girls, share the love , mmmm, do i get banned for this? mmm, naughty boy, mmmm, what would caroline do to punish me, mmmm, think whatever Graine (feic how u spell it) would do would be too boring. though, Caroline though, mmmm, i'd say she knows how2 mix it up, mmmmmmmm. jasus, page 3 ireland sounds gr8tastic. what paper is it in ? ?? ya get a nice story with da pic
    noblankski wrote: »
    whats that about, poor familys that decided to have kids and piss being completly taken outta them. classy mofos in this country. and we supposed to have been such a family orientated country, Caroline asked me for a baby once, i sent her to madonna, she'd sort her out, either with a flown in one or madonna do the business herself, she more of a man than me any day, she'd beat d crap outta lot of fellas i know with them lats, biceps, etc.

I'm confused... is noblankski a misunderstood comic genius in the vein of Joyce, or just a nutter on strong drugs?

Given that he/she is in Waterford, I'd go with the drugs angle... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Berty wrote: »
    Remember when the queen came to Dublin. Dublin people stood on the streets waving union jack flags.

And when JFK came to Ireland*, people waved American flags. No one made a hullaballoo about that.

*I remember it well. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

obriend wrote: »
    Hi,

Did anyone see Currys disgraceful add in Metro this morning. Page 15 to 17 is an add for currys but they put an English flag in the Irish colours. This has to be some sort of crime against the history of Ireland and its people as they outright deface our flag in a well populated paper. I for one will never buy from curry’s. :mad: Below is the link, if it asks for an e-mail address just enter any letters and it will let you in.

http://img.e-metro.ie/e-edition-ie/A17fo7/Metroire20090430/resources/index.htm?referrerUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.e-metro.ie%2Fe-metro-ie

You might worry more about the group of corrupt, incompetent ass-clowns in charge here who are intent on driving our country into self destruction.

Ah no, some company using Irish colours in their marketing campaign is more worse.

Someone ring Joe f**king Duffy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

OP you find the currys ad vile

I find this vile.

Nah the flag wavers were all the necks up for the day;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

I find this vile.

Well the good thing about that is you usually don't have to see it after July each year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Currys didn't deface the Irish flag, they defaced the Union flag by altering its colours and adding text to it. They should have more respect for their flag than to misuse it for crass commercial gain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Hagar wrote: »
    Currys didn't deface the Irish flag, they defaced the Union flag by altering its colours and adding text to it. They should have more respect for their flag than to misuse it for crass commercial gain.

I would imagine as it was for Currys Ireland, in an Irish newspaper it was actually done by an Irish person. Imagine if this was done in the UK, all the paddywhackery threads on here would be unbelievable.

The only solution as far as i am concerned is an immediate invasion by HM armed forces unless there is a complete unconditional apology from the Irish government, reperations of around 87 times the Irish GDP (About 49c i think), the resignation of all Sinn Fein MPs and immediate repayment of the £100,000 they have received off Her majestys government in the last year.:D

Or maybe everyone could just stop being so bloody stupid:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Well the good thing about that is you usually don't have to see it after July each year.

Ah, Dublin on a Bank Holiday weekend is normally so nice with all the necks gone home to mammy with the washin, not this weekend though;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Cabaal wrote: »
    Its not our flag.....Ireland does not own copyright to the colours green white and gold/yellow

OP you need to relax and get out more

Green White and Orange. No Gold or Yellow in the Irish Tri-colour

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

What about that damned Basque flag?

Has Britain declared war on those separatist upstarts for that grievous insult yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

:( I wanted something to be outraged about :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

Hi,

Did anyone see Currys disgraceful add in Metro this morning. Page 15 to 17 is an add for currys but they put an English flag in the Irish colours. This has to be some sort of crime against the history of Ireland and its people as they outright deface our flag in a well populated paper. I for one will never buy from curry’s. :mad: Below is the link, if it asks for an e-mail address just enter any letters and it will let you in.

http://img.e-metro.ie/e-edition-ie/A17fo7/Metroire20090430/resources/index.htm?referrerUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.e-metro.ie%2Fe-metro-ie

As an English woman myself, I sincerely apologise on behalf of the entire nation. (No really, I do).

In all seriousness, I do realise that some will find this offensive, but is there really a need to get utterly irate over it. I`m sure the add men didn`t do it deliberately to cause offence, and that no malicious slur was intended.
    Besides, it`s a flag. Union or otherwise, is it truly something to get worked up about?

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Radiotower

Hi,

What really annoys me is when people dont even know what flag they are talking about...

500px-Union_Flag_Component_Flags2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Radiotower wrote: »
    What really annoys me is when people dont even know what flag they are talking about...

500px-Union_Flag_Component_Flags2.png

LOL well as an Englishman I'm appalled ;) at the disfigurement of the flag - I reckon string em' all up with no trousers and flog em - pure treason :D

Lighten up people.............

And Radiotower is right - the English flag is the Geroge Cross - the Union Jack is officially the flag of the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland (don't beat me up on the NI bit....thats just the official title & this poster ain't gonna go down that path :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

i can not see the problem its not like as if they burned it i would give their ad execs as rise he has done he's job and got us all talking about it

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭el_tiddlero

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!!!

i think the green, white, and gold approximation of the union jack looks good. That shall be the new flag when we invade and colonise the island of Britain (obvo we'll remove the great from their name as a first priority.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Hey OP - I took a sh*t on the Irish flag this morning. Want me to send you pictures of it so your head can explode in indignation?

People like you are what keeps Liveline on the air.

"Well Joe as a mother I'm outraged!" :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 CalmDown

EU_Flag.jpg

Lets forget Ireland, and embrace Europe.

• Advertisement

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Hey OP - I took a sh*t on the Irish flag this morning.
    I'm so proud of you, I think my heart is going to burst with admiration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I am disgusted by this, and will never even step foot in a Curry's store ever again

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

I am disgusted by this, and will never even step foot in a Curry's store ever again

Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭Doodee

This just goes to show that people have very little to worry about in this modern age.

History is history, get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

union flag -made up of the cross of st george of england-the cross of st andrew of scotland-and the cross of st patrick of ireland--it is only called the union jack when it is on the flag pole or on a ship-the welsh flag is not on it as the country is a principality--as a englishman you can do what you want with it ,its just a bit of cloth--

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Doodee wrote: »
    This just goes to show that people have very little to worry about in this modern age.

It just goes to show you can't be too careful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Hagar wrote: »
    I'm so proud of you, I think my heart is going to burst with admiration.

Thanks.

I was just making a point Hagar. I wouldn't actually do that but ssshhh..... don't tell the OP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

This almost as bad as that time we were taken over by Britain for 800 hundred years.

Er..we were taken over by the Pope and his Normans and the feckers still haven't left. Britain didn't exist until 1707.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Do Irish models have no shame - spashing around in the water feature in Blanch in their knickers (page 13)?

Sorry. Is that off topic?

• Advertisement

Just to address a more serious point of this mis-begotten ad campaign.

Isn't it mis-leading to claim that the customer is only paying UK VAT when by law you must pay tha Irish VAT rate? They can drop their prices and charge what they like but what they are saying is blatantantly untrue. Either that or they are breaking the law by not charging the correct VAT rate as required.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement