Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chit Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

angeldaisy wrote: »
    Hmmm not sure about that building, going to take huge amounts of money not only to build it, but to stock it too. Hopefully the days of only one copy of textbooks will be gone when this gets built.
    I'm guessing that even if I stay on to do a phd it still wont be built!

The library has a load of books stored on the Dock Road though that there's no room for!
    And it would be nice to have more spacious study areas and even a reading room like in UL.

Nothing worse than sitting in the library and having people constantly squeezing past you to get to a book! :p

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

I know what you mean! I dont think ive spent any time in there since 2nd year! I literally run in get my books and leave quickly, I hate the place!

Reading rooms would be fantastic and even better if there were several types, quiet room, a room where you could have discussions about work and then another noisy room for all those who are totally unable to observe the rules of silence in a library! !! This last one should ideally be soundproofed and carry a warning notice on the door;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Progshark

I love the idea of multiple reading rooms!!! brilliant
    This last one should ideally be soundproofed and carry a warning notice on the door
    got a great laugh out of that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Marcus Halberstram

Is graduation this week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

Is graduation this week?

Yep, this Thurs and Friday.

• Advertisement

Yep, this Thurs and Friday.

I take it the college is closed then? Postgrad that uses Summerville myself, just wondering if it will be open and will the shop/canteen be running?

I take it the college is closed then? Postgrad that uses Summerville myself, just wondering if it will be open and will the shop/canteen be running?

I dunno about the shop and canteen but I'd assume Summerville will be open? I have an essay due in for the Arts office on Thursday so I'd guess if it's open then so will Summerville? Parking will be a b!tch though.

As far as I know the college will be open, but just with reduced staffing? Would guess that it would get pretty hectic from Thursday afternoon as graduations start around 3pm. Friday graduations are on from 10am so will be busy enough all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

I presume IT Lab and Library will be still open as normal both days? Would be very handy to get some assignments done then!

OH. MY. GAWD! The noise in the library!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement

I find a polite "Can you please shut the **** up?" works wonders

I did a 'LADS! Seriously?! Whisht up or go outside!' and then had to endure 10 minutes of dirty looks (I couldn't care less) and the noisiest packing up I've ever witnessed in my life.

I did a 'LADS! Seriously?! Whisht up or go outside!' and then had to endure 10 minutes of dirty looks (I couldn't care less) and the noisiest packing up I've ever witnessed in my life.

Wish I'd seen that! !!

They were so loud putting away their crap that I'm surprised you didn't hear them never mind see me getting all thick. I'm a good 8.5 on the stress scale today so they got the brunt of it. Usually I'd just sit and have an imaginary bitch about them in my head... :D

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep MISU Office

angeldaisy wrote: »
    As far as I know the college will be open, but just with reduced staffing? Would guess that it would get pretty hectic from Thursday afternoon as graduations start around 3pm. Friday graduations are on from 10am so will be busy enough all day.

Yes college will be open, Library is operating usual hours on Thursday and 5pm close on Friday. The shop will be open both days with earlier closing hours. All offices will be open but may have reduced staff as there are a lot of staff involved in the Graduations. The campus will be to very busy from 12pm-3pm on Thursday and from about 8.30am on Friday morning to 6pm Friday evening. Anyone planning to drive to college tomorrow or Friday please note there will be no access to parking on campus for any students other than those graduating.

Garda message re Graduation days:
    http://www.mic.ul.ie/graduation/Pages/gardamessage.aspx

Hope this helps :)

You know if you're leaving the computer rooms and heading up towards the library? There's a door (which says SECURITY DO NOT LOCK THIS DOOR) facing you just before you take the right turn to head down past the Department Heads' offices.

What's in there? :pac:

A team of monkeys furiously typing up Christmas exam papers

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

You know if you're leaving the computer rooms and heading up towards the library? There's a door (which says SECURITY DO NOT LOCK THIS DOOR) facing you just before you take the right turn to head down past the Department Heads' offices.

What's in there? :pac:

I was in there once or twice! :P

It used to have a few computers in one room, and there was an office or two at the far end of the room. I think one of the ladies who was in charge of Micro-Teaching had an office down there. It's over 3 years since I was in there so the room might be used for something else now, but the sign was there so that the people in that office didn't get locked in at night. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14 TheUkeLearner

Anybody know if the library is open on Monday?

Anybody know if the library is open on Monday?

Afraid not. Raging, I could do with going in.

• Advertisement

UL is open 11-6 tomorrow!

That's where I'll be! :( :pac:

It's fair cold in the library. *brrrrrr*

Timetable's out! Not looking too bad for me! Finished the 20th but at least it means they're all spaced out a bit. :)

Timetable's out! Not looking too bad for me! Finished the 20th but at least it means they're all spaced out a bit. :)

this is the first year that that statement hasn't put the fear of god into me:eek: Woohooo - no exams this semester:D:D:D:D

Best of luck though to everyone who has to go through them - I feel your pain:p

Just 2 exams this year with 9 days between so, for once, I'm happy! :-)

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep MISU Office

Hi All,

Please be advised that the timetable that went up in reception yesterday has been amended. The new versions are currently being posted online (we will post links on our website and social media sites). We would strongly advise checking the amended version to see if any of your exams have changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 df123

Hi..:)
    I'm probably posting in the wrong place but if anyone could help me with this, it would be great! :P
    I'm a first year student in UL and I don't think the course that I am doing is for me :( I was going to drop out in the first few weeks but I was hoping that I'd develop a fondness for the course over time so I decided to "stick it out"...big mistake! :( I was thinking of transferring to Mary I to do Liberal Arts? Apparently I will have to pay full fees next year but from 2nd year on will they be subsidised again?! Any help would be appreciated. :)

df123 wrote: »
    Hi..:)
    I'm probably posting in the wrong place but if anyone could help me with this, it would be great! :P
    I'm a first year student in UL and I don't think the course that I am doing is for me :( I was going to drop out in the first few weeks but I was hoping that I'd develop a fondness for the course over time so I decided to "stick it out"...big mistake! :( I was thinking of transferring to Mary I to do Liberal Arts? Apparently I will have to pay full fees next year but from 2nd year on will they be subsidised again?! Any help would be appreciated. :)

I transferred to Mary I after a year and one semester in UL. I had to pay for the first year and semester of Arts in Mary I. After that it was free.

I did a year in Business in UL and then came to Mary I to start 1st year arts again.

I had to pay for 1st year (as I had already used up the free 1st year) but 2nd, 3rd and 4th year are normal fees again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 df123

It's business in UL that I'm doing at the moment! :( Is Liberal Arts a good degree, would you recommend it like, are the hours long, lecturers good etc?! :)

Advertisement