Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chit Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Money isn't much of an issue for me, so that's fine. That does make me sad though RonMexico. Is it the Poet Man? I can murder him if you want :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

It could be you D4RK ONION :pac:

Ah sure we are all students either way, regardless of the level.

What year are you two in?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

RonMexico wrote: »
    What year are you two in?

3rd Year B.Ed. One week of Home TP done! :) (both of us)

Ah I will have run into D4RK ONION before so...and maybe again :pac:

So how is TP going? Don't know how you do it, I wouldn't have the patience.

Right I am off to correct tutorial stuff and work on my thesis. Welcome to the non-eventful life of a Ph.D student. :D

It is no wonder that most lecturers are mad in the head - 3 years of a Ph.D will do that to you!

I don't know how you do that, I wouldn't have the patience! Don't think i've ever had a guy for a tutorial. Small world though, eh?

• Advertisement

It sure is. Oh and I am sure after doing some research over the weekend that you can rent a place near Mary I for as low as €60 per week. :D

3-4 bedroom houses

Single rooms at €60-€65 per week

Double rooms at €70 per week

Some include internet/cable/bin collection for that.

Some are also for 8-9 month contracts.

Sweet :D

Hmmm... Delicious research. God An File bless the recession!

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭earleuginedoyle

well how did the first week go for the 3rd B.Eds??

Grand. They were a loud bunch, but enthusiastic. Yourself?

it was alright sure, iv had an awful cold so twas a bit difficult teaching but the kids are great!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

Hey, sorry didn't know really where to put this, hope you don't mind. Any way was wondering what do people think of liberal arts? Is a huge chunk of it essay based? And what is the area like?

It depends on what subjects you do.

Here is the structure in the English Department:

1st Year

Semester One

Essay: 1000 words worth 30%

90 minute Christmas Exam, 2 questions, each worth 30%

10% for tutorials.

Semester Two

Essay: 1000 words worth 40%

45 minute classroom exam mid-term worth 25%

45 minute Summer exam worth 25%

10% for Tutorials

That is pretty much how it works for first year anyway. Liberal Arts is what you make of it.

Semester One

Essay: 1000 words worth 30%

90 minute Christmas Exam, 2 questions, each worth 30%

10% for tutorials.

Semester Two

Essay: 1000 words worth 40%

45 minute classroom exam mid-term worth 25%

45 minute Summer exam worth 25%

10% for Tutorials
    Wasnt expecting that like it ok, continous assessment cool! Would that be the same for 2nd and 4th year continous assessment? Im thinking of German, geography,media, and maybe history. Is the college in like a good area??

Yeah it is pretty much like that for all the subjects, with slight variations each semester.

The college is at the top of the city in a nice quiet area. Of course like any city you have to be careful no matter where you are, but I have been going there for almost 8 years now(I'm doing a Ph.D and working as a tutor) and I have never had a bad experience.

In terms of the Arts Degree don't think for a minute that it is a stroll in the park. It can be challenging but very rewarding.

I know that most people that do an arts degree end up teaching but was wondering what other possibilities are there?

It depends on what subjects you do. I wouldn't recommend the teaching route unless you REALLY want to be a teacher. There are more than enough qualified teachers as there is, so jobs are just not there.

If you do Media studies there are opportunites in that field - tv, radio, journalism. With a B.A. you will generally need to do a Masters after your degree as a B.A. on its own doesn't open many doors.

I take it you are in 6th year yeah? My best advice would be to do a degree that involves whatever subject(s) you are best at and enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

LovexxLife wrote: »
    I know that most people that do an arts degree end up teaching but was wondering what other possibilities are there?

If you do Geography or History you can do an MA out in UL in either Politics, Development, Peace and Development, European Integration, International Studies etc., and the possibilities after any of those MAs is vast. To me the BA is a very underrated Degree, granted you probably will have to do further study after it, but still, the world is your oyster. A 2.1 QCA is advisable though to either get the H Dip, or an MA.

Yeah I would view the B.A. as a stepping stone to a wide range of opportunity. Just be prepared to do at least another year (1 year taught M.A.) and really it is endless what you can do. Good grades are essential though.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

@RonMexico:

Were you the guy that tutored the Fourth Years in semester 2 last year for Gothic Literature???

Maybe :D

• Advertisement

I leave ye for 1 day and ye're shilling the arts course ;)

How was everyone's day off?

My weekend in a word - ****e. :(

Skeleton thread in Limerick Forum kept me going. :D

If i do a masters like what exactly do you do for a masters???:confused:

My weekend in a word - ****e. :(

Skeleton thread in Limerick Forum kept me going. :D
    Thread of the weekend!

So who is getting the pig aids vaccine?

well when you make it sound so appealing...

nah i'm not a fan of vaccines.. prefer to take my chances!!

We manly men laugh in the face of viruses. I eat pig flu for breakfast... With a glass of orange juice!

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    We manly men laugh in the face of viruses. I eat pig flu for breakfast... With a glass of orange juice!

as long as you get in your vitamin c :p

orange-juice.jpg

Drink up Earl!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭ciarraioch1

just remember that all of you out on tp are at a greater risk of catching
    pig aids

Advertisement