Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chit Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Am I correct in saying that the college is going to spend €100,000 on artwork for the new building? Link.

Seems a bit much to me with the recession and all that.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Vanolder wrote: »
    D4RK ONION, our paths, it seems, meet once again...

:/ I feel bad in admitting that I have no idea who you might be!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

Hey guys, has anyone gotten a recheck on exam results before? Just wondering how long 'til i hear back? Friday 9th was the last day to hand forms in.

Also, the particular result i want to recheck is a presentation, is the process for this any different? I won't have to plead my case in front of a board of directors or anything? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭ciarraioch1

dambarude wrote: »
    Am I correct in saying that the college is going to spend €100,000 on artwork for the new building? Link.

Seems a bit much to me with the recession and all that.

Peadar Cremin asked union council (eg the students' union) to give €100,000 to the college to purchase a stained glass cross (eg a church window) for the new building as a symbol of gratitude from the students for the new building.
    Union council said that if we were giving that much money, we wanted th choose the artwork, not another piece of religious artwork.

Peadar Cremin asked union council (eg the students' union) to give €100,000 to the college to purchase a stained glass cross (eg a church window) for the new building as a symbol of gratitude from the students for the new building.
    Union council said that if we were giving that much money, we wanted th choose the artwork, not another piece of religious artwork.

Thanks for the info ciarraíoch. Fair play to the SU for the decision, the college has far too many crucifixes all over the place as it is.

I still think it's an awful lot of money though! And I had no idea that the SU had those kind of funds:pac:

• Advertisement

The SU has a few euro put away for a rainy day. It is down to an excellent general manager who set up an siopa, and is very careful with how money is spent!

But yes, I agree. Far too many items of religious iconography around the college!! I understand it was a convent at one time, but still :O

• Registered Users Posts: 29 sugajay

Didn't study Geography but English in first year I personally didn't enjoy, not because of the course content, but the lecturers. In the first semester you cover poetry with John McDonagh(who is some legend) and a comparison between Ross O' Carroll Kelly-Should Have Got Off At Sydney Parade and James Joyce's Portrait Of An Artist As A Young Man. Second Semester you cover the poetry of Seamus Heaney and James Joyce's Dubliners. But never fear, you have a year to decide if English is for you!
    What other subjects do you have in mind? Make sure you call into Wired (the on campus student station) and volunteer..I'll be working there!:D

Hey, thanks for replying. I was thinking of studying English, Geography, Philosophy and Leann Duchais in first year. Can I ask which subjects you studied in first year and which you enjoyed?

Also, do you have any tips on how to integrate into the social life of college as a mature student? I'm quite apprehensive as I'm 26 and a gay male.

Thanks for your help ;)

P.S.

I'll definitely drop into Wired!! :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

But yes, I agree. Far too many items of religious iconography around the college!! I understand it was a convent at one time, but still :O

It's disgraceful that such a waste of money was requested by someone with such authority. There are countless more practical "symbols of gratitude" €100,000 could be spent on. Spending so much on religious iconography would be frivolous, wasteful and insulting to students and staff alike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

It was 25,000, not 100,000.... And in the end peadar still went off and bought the piece.

The students Union bought a piano I think for the new auditorium on behalf of the students... in the current climate both were a waste of money in my opinion.

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    :/ I feel bad in admitting that I have no idea who you might be!

Yes sir, you do! this is the first time we have met in cyber space tho...

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep MISU Office

Hi guys!

Firstly, proud to announce that MISU is now officially represented on boards.ie. We may not have or own forum but the Sticky will have to suffice for the time being until there's more of a buzz about boards in the college.

We think it's healthy for there to be such an outlet like boards for students to chat, rant and rave. We'll try to give you the official MISU response on whatever topics arise here as well as solving any problems that arise. Of course, we're also here for a bit of a chat!

Secondly, in relation to damabarude's enquiry about the college spending €100,000 on artwork, we just want to clear something up. As ciarraioch1 correctly noted Peader Cremin did indeed ask the SU to donate money to purchase a piece of religious artwork by the artist Imogen Stuart, which cost €25,000. The SU put this to Union Council who made it clear that they did not want the SU to donate the money for such a piece so instead we are donating the money to the new theatre for the theatre committee to use to install equipment etc.

The college did however secure funding for Imogen's artwork from somewhere else and it should be in place before the college term begins.

Going back to the original point though about the 100 grand, this is completly seperate to Imogen's artwork. The college (not the SU) is seeking " expressions of interest under the Public Art – Per Cent for Art Scheme from established artists wishing to create unique work/s in any medium with an allocated budget of €100,000". The art is meant for the Tailteann and the new Tara building (which is amazing by the way!). It may, or may not, turn out to be religious but we'll have to wait and see what the panel chooses.

For a more details on the art brief, see here.

How's everyone's summer going anyway?

sugajay wrote: »
    Hey, thanks for replying. I was thinking of studying English, Geography, Philosophy and Leann Duchais in first year. Can I ask which subjects you studied in first year and which you enjoyed?

Also, do you have any tips on how to integrate into the social life of college as a mature student? I'm quite apprehensive as I'm 26 and a gay male.

Thanks for your help ;)

P.S.

I'll definitely drop into Wired!! :D

I'll probably give away my identity to others here but I also started as a mature, 27 in horse years , and I studied Philosophy, History, English and Leann Duchais in first year.

My first bit of advice is to be very careful in what subjects you choose. I was concinced that I would keep english on but hated it after a few months and seeing as Leann Duchais is only a first year subject I was stuck with philosophy going forward as History was always my No.1.

Again, in first year I loved philosophy, but they kinda lure you in with material and results in first year, with many subjects not just philosophy, so becareful. I despised philosophy by final year!!!

I would go with 4 subjects you could potentially carry on, you will be surprised how much your mind will change in a few months about a subject.

I am slightly biased but I think the history department are the best in the college. Particularly in regard matures, and are very appraochable.

As for social life, it's like everything else in life, it's what you make it. You will obviously have plenty of matures in the same boat when you start so just suggest a night in your first week. B.ed's have an advantage here in that they are put into groups and its easier to get chatting but it will be easy enough to spot the BA matures, they will all be down front of any lecture nodding their head.

In truth its a small college and if you are anyway outgoing you will be fine. I started with the intention of not really mixing with the younger students and letting them do their own thing socially but by semester 2 of first year I was mixing with 20year olds one night and 50 year olds the next. Its your time in college too so just relax, go with the flow and enjoy it.

Oh and not that it matters, (maybe it will to you :D) but there are plenty of gay mature/young guys in mary i and they all just about survive!

Just dandy !! Visit any photo shoots recently ? ;)

Also guys...

A third year mature B.ed (just graduated), Aideen O'Donnell, tragically died in a car crash over the weekend. She sadly leaves behind a 9year old daughter.

R.I.P Aideen

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Also guys...

A third year mature B.ed (just graduated), Aideen O'Donnell, tragically died in a car crash over the weekend. She sadly leaves behind a 9year old daughter.

R.I.P Aideen

Heard about this yesterday morning. I didn't know Aideen well but I did get used to seeing her face around campus over the last three years. Really sad news.

It's been an awful weekend for young people on Irish roads.

R.I.P.

Hi guys!

Firstly, proud to announce that MISU is now officially represented on boards.ie.
    Welcome to the sticky. I'm glad to see your interaction with students, I hope you keep it up over the year :). Any chance of that promised video tour of the new building any time soon?:cool:
    Also guys...

R.I.P Aideen

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a hanam. I didn't know she had daughter, that really is tragic.

It's disgraceful that such a waste of money was requested by someone with such authority. There are countless more practical "symbols of gratitude" €100,000 could be spent on. Spending so much on religious iconography would be frivolous, wasteful and insulting to students and staff alike.
    Totally agree, I understand fully that it's a Catholic college but it annoys me that they're going to slap a big crucifix on it. I even mentioned to you on our brief tour around the place that I was surprised at the lack of crucifix, in a good way of course!
    Yes sir, you do! this is the first time we have met in cyber space tho...
    Hmmm, I'm sure you'll give your sekrit identity away eventually :)
    Hi guys!

Firstly, proud to announce that MISU is now officially represented on boards.ie. We may not have or own forum but the Sticky will have to suffice for the time being until there's more of a buzz about boards in the college.

[SNIP]

Great to see that the MISU are on here and may even try to get a bit of boards buzz going on around the college, that'd be awesome :D Pity you couldn't have done it while I was there :P

Now that the actual SU is on this we might get a forum!!

So a boards.ie account, a facebook page, youtube channel,
    twitter?

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep MISU Office

Yes, it's a complete tragedy what happened to Aideen. In case anybody hasn't seen or heard the funeral arrangements; the funeral Mass is tomorrow, Tuesday, at 12*noon in St John the Baptist Church, Cashel, followed by burial in the adjoining cemetery.

There is a guard of honour set to take place with students from the college, if anybody is available to attend to pay their respects.

We have indeed set up our twitter - maryilive is the name. We got ourselves on Facebook today, search for Mary Immaculate SU. And yes our YouTube channel is a gogo - TVmisu. It's actually making the local papers up here. Good reaction to it so far!

We'll have the video tour up in another couple of weeks. Most of the new building isn't actually furnished yet though but will be by September. The vid prob won't have furniture in it.

We have indeed set up our twitter - maryilive is the name. We got ourselves on Facebook today, search for Mary Immaculate SU. And yes our YouTube channel is a gogo - TVmisu. It's actually making the local papers up here. Good reaction to it so far!

Great to see the SU making such an impressive online presence, it really is the best way to communicate to the student body and keep them up to date. I'm finished in the college, but I'll certainly keep my head popped in here, seeing as how I'm always on boards :)

• Advertisement

Hasn't anybody on here ever rechecked an exam result? :(

Straight 'A' students usually dont feel the need :P

I haven't personally, but I know somebody who did. They didn't get very far. Unless you've a very good reason for appealing your grade I'd say the chances are fairly slim of being upgraded. Are you appealing an education or an arts subject?

Are you appealing an education or an arts subject?

It's an E.C.C.E subject, I'm fairly certain that the reason my grade was brought down, along with most of the class, was more a regulation thing. It's for a presentation though so it will probably be more difficult to argue, because it wasn't recorded.

I got a b3 for a presentation where i walked away absolutely certain I'd get an A2/B1, and the lecturer made me feel the same way. Surely they have to be able to justify taking all those marks off me when she had very little negative feedback after the presentation?

It's an E.C.C.E subject, I'm fairly certain that the reason my grade was brought down, along with most of the class, was more a regulation thing. It's for a presentation though so it will probably be more difficult to argue, because it wasn't recorded.

I got a b3 for a presentation where i walked away absolutely certain I'd get an A2/B1, and the lecturer made me feel the same way. Surely they have to be able to justify taking all those marks off me when she had very little negative feedback after the presentation?

Did anybody co-assess with your lecturer- was there another lecturer there while you presented?

Has the lecturer made contact with you since lodging your appeal?

The person I knew had very good grounds for requesting an upgrade, but the lecturer(s) in question managed to dodge having to do it. I'd say it would be fairly unlikely that you'll be upgraded. I could be completely wrong however, if anybody else has experience of appeals it might give a better picture.

I think they need to start recording presentations so that there's some record made of what you submitted for assessment. Lecturers often say that exam scripts/essays need to be kept for a full year for external examiners, so I don't see how it's fair for presentations to be treated any differently. It's particularly unfair if there was only one lecturer assessing your presentation, there's no objective 'witness' there to say what you did or didn't do in your presentation.

Did anybody co-assess with your lecturer- was there another lecturer there while you presented

Nope just the one lecturer. She hasn't comtacted me either. The subject itself was under scrutiny because the way the assessment was managed resulted in a class of quite high results, and everyone worked very hard on this presentation, it was an hour and a half per group in groups of six. But the class as a whole didn't get the best grades in the presentation, despite the standard of work being very high. I'm hoping that, being possibly the only person that pushed it further, they might consider bringing me up, especially as they KNOW we deserved better than we got.

That's probably THE most annoying thing about the way exams are marked. Hard work and a good presentation/essay etc. won't always get you think you deserve, or even what the lecturer thinks you deserve. It is usually quite obvious that only a certain amount of certain grades are given out, even if it means the difference in grades doesn't reflect the difference in quality of different individual's exam performance. What may appear to be two presentations of fairly similar standards may end up getting different grades to suit whatever grade allocation is in operation.

Well that's my experience of presentations/groupwork anyway, others may disagree:p

Best of luck with your appeal anyways.

That's probably THE most annoying thing about the way exams are marked. Hard work and a good presentation/essay etc. won't always get you think you deserve, or even what the lecturer thinks you deserve. It is usually quite obvious that only a certain amount of certain grades are given out, even if it means the difference in grades doesn't reflect the difference in quality of different individual's exam performance. What may appear to be two presentations of fairly similar standards may end up getting different grades to suit whatever grade allocation is in operation.

Well that's my experience of presentations/groupwork anyway, others may disagree:p

Best of luck with your appeal anyways.

I'm inclined to agree. I was even reluctant to challenge the grade because i like the lecturer and i know she's already in a spot of trouble over us all doing well (or rather that we should have all done well).

Overall, my chances aren't looking great then i guess. Thanks all the same. :)

Overall, my chances aren't looking great then i guess. Thanks all the same. :)

You never know what could happen, so keep the hope!

(By the way, I think this is my 500th post!:cool:)
    It is, three stars :pac:!

• Advertisement

You never know what could happen, so keep the hope!

(By the way, I think this is my 500th post!:cool:)
    It is, three stars :pac:!

Congrats on the 3rd star, you're half way to being officially sad awesome ;)

Advertisement