Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chit Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep MISU Office

Hasn't anybody on here ever rechecked an exam result? :(

Hi boomkatalog! Noel here in the SU.

I read your question and chat with dambarude and you both raise a good point in relation to the grading of presentations, in terms of how they are rechecked. It's something Mairéad and I will discuss with the the Deans and find out what the norm is as well as asking about the possibility of getting a second lecturer or possibly a postgraduate student to sit in on presentations so both can agree on a specific grade.

I'm presuming you sent in your grade recheck form, which was meant to be in by last Friday? Just a reminder to you, and all students, that a grade recheck consists of the lecturer recounting the marks they allocated to your paper/presentation and making sure they didn't miscount them.

I was on to Student Services and they told me that students who requested grade rechecks should hear back late this week or early next week.

Noel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Hi Noel, I was just wondering could you also help me with another issue, I was just wondering Why does Donald Duck wears a towel when he comes out of the shower, when he doesn't usually wear any pants?

Vanolder wrote: »
    Hi Noel, I was just wondering could you also help me with another issue, I was just wondering Why does Donald Duck wear a towel when he comes out of the shower, when he doesn't usually wear any pants?

Good point - I assume he still has to dry himself off so therefore, he uses a towel! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Good point - I assume he still has to dry himself off so therefore, he uses a towel! :)

Those voters knew what they were doing when installing you as VP! :)

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

My goodness, he has answered the answerable question.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Just a reminder to you, and all students, that a grade recheck consists of the lecturer recounting the marks they allocated to your paper/presentation and making sure they didn't miscount them.
    So they don't look at their judgement in relation to the quality of what you submitted? They just count up the marks?! That's news to me! There's not much point appealing anything if that's the case:mad:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

I read your question and chat with dambarude and you both raise a good point in relation to the grading of presentations, in terms of how they are rechecked. It's something Mairéad and I will discuss with the the Deans and find out what the norm is as well as asking about the possibility of getting a second lecturer or possibly a postgraduate student to sit in on presentations so both can agree on a specific grade.

I'm presuming you sent in your grade recheck form, which was meant to be in by last Friday? Just a reminder to you, and all students, that a grade recheck consists of the lecturer recounting the marks they allocated to your paper/presentation and making sure they didn't miscount them.

I was on to Student Services and they told me that students who requested grade rechecks should hear back late this week or early next week.

Noel

Yup I sent my form last week along with a postal order. Wow I didn't know that either. :confused: So i just paid 25euro for someone to readd something?

Thanks for checking how long the wait is. :)

Student Services confirmed with me today that the lecturers recount the marks, not reread the essay if it is an essay. It is a joke, no doubt. The person I was talking to today in Student Services said she was flagging it with me because she felt students weren't aware of it. We were discussing it in the office today and we are going to discuss it with the deans when we are talking to them about presentations, because it isn't fair on students at all, considering a fee is paid.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

#1000!

\o/

You SON OF A GUN! I shall have my vengeance!

• Advertisement

Student Services confirmed with me today that the lecturers recount the marks, not reread the essay if it is an essay. It is a joke, no doubt. The person I was talking to today in Student Services said she was flagging it with me because she felt students weren't aware of it. We were discussing it in the office today and we are going to discuss it with the deans when we are talking to them about presentations, because it isn't fair on students at all, considering a fee is paid.

:eek:

If I could thank you a few times I would.

#1000!

\o/

If I had been three minutes earlier I'd have got it! Not that I would have noticed:o

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭earleuginedoyle

i think summer is high time for a boardsie meet up, who's in? :D

Me damn it! I'm always in!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Me too \o/

ok so hows next saturday the 24th in bakers/costelloes suit people?

ok so hows next saturday the 24th in bakers/costelloes suit people?

Sounds perfect! I might invite a few people from a few other forums as well, just to see if they're interested in a young-Limerick Beers :)

Sounds perfect! I might invite a few people from a few other forums as well, just to see if they're interested in a young-Limerick Beers :)

why exclude the old?

why exclude the old?

Some of the older crowd in the Limerick City forum probably wouldn't feel too happy about it :p

so as it turns out, it's my friends 21st next saturday so i wont actually be available!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭RibenaHead

dambarude wrote: »
    I haven't personally, but I know somebody who did. They didn't get very far. Unless you've a very good reason for appealing your grade I'd say the chances are fairly slim of being upgraded. Are you appealing an education or an arts subject?

Damn! I missed the re-check deadline as I'm abroad and coudn't access the results in time. I should have gotten a higher result for my Ped. Op. (I have the physical scripts that clearly show that I should have gotten higher). There's nothing I can do about it now, right?

Haven't been around here much as I've had very limited internet access these past two months... Hope everyone's summer's going well!

Hi there,

Unfortunately yes, you have missed the deadline for rechecks so I am truly sorry to report that there is nothing you can do now about the grade. However, for what it is worth, getting the grade rechecked is simply a retotting of marks which Noel and I feel is unfair on students. Therefore, as mentioned above, we are looking into that reality being stressed to students or alternatively, the ideal, which would be that a recheck would involve an actual re-evaluation of the paper by an external examiner. Naturally we cannot promise a change on this but we will do our very best.

Hope you are having a great summer besides!

See you all in September!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭leg

hi hoping to do the b.ed next year and just wondering what the nightlife is like for mary i students. im a boy if that changes anything

Hey! The only thing it changes is the fact that you'll be surrounded by the opposite sex rather than the same ;)

It's pretty decent for the size of the college. If you're into your night clubs (ew) you've got Trinity Rooms, Icon, Angel Lane etc.

If you prefer more alternative places where they don't play (imo) totally shit music there's costellos and baker's place (which is actually 3 places in one building, all totally sound proofed from each other). That's where I had the most fun going out. Rock, indie, live music. Not all my stuff, but much closer that nightclubs.

And if you're into trad there's a few pubs around the place that do that and there's a good society in the college.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

leg wrote: »
    hi hoping to do the b.ed next year and just wondering what the nightlife is like for mary i students. im a boy if that changes anything

Those 2 phrases don't really go well together

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Those 2 phrases don't really go well together
    leg, pay no attention to Hulk Hands, he has has obviously never gone to Mary I, the nitelife is good craic for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Ah relax Munster, only messing, you're living up to the whole "Mary-Dry" stereotype yourself there!

In fairness I have met some serious party animals from the place. It's not the norm, a nice DVD (or tea party, or study) is more in character, but the college is big so you're sure to meet a few likeminded types.

Outside of that, Limerick is a great city to go out in with class nightclub's that will be packed full of UL, LIT, and *cough* Mary I students throughout the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭lighthouse

leg wrote: »

Like anything in life it's what you make of it. Have a look here to see Mary I students enjoying themselves. Stupid expressions like "Mary Dry" which I hear constantly in College really get up my goat. Remember "Don't try anything, go all the way"

It's not the norm, a nice DVD (or tea party, or study) is more in character

I'm not sure which students you were talking to ;)
    DVDs and study are regular features, but there's something else on every night of the week (most weeks) as well. I'd say more than half my year went into town/out to The Lodge 2 nights a week...
    Outside of that, Limerick is a great city to go out in with class nightclub's that will be packed full of UL, LIT, and *cough* Mary I students throughout the week.

...just like students everywhere else :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭leg

I have heard alot of different views alright but anyway il make my own nightlife :cool:

Advertisement