Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chit Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭earleuginedoyle

you would think that it being a small setting, particularly small in mary i! that change shouldnt take that long to come about, but again, this is mary i! everything takes alot longer than it should..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

you would think that it being a small setting, particularly small in mary i! that change shouldnt take that long to come about, but again, this is mary i! everything takes alot longer than it should..

We're very old fashioned and set in our ways I suppose- it takes a long time to do stuff:D. You could be right!

I see that the people running has gone up on the misu website. There's loads of officers with no candidate, or just one candidate....

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭RibenaHead

Continuous assessment in Mary I... yay or nay?

It depends on how well it's run really. And what type it is...

I don't really see why they call essays 'continuous assessment', it's not really. Presentations can be a pain...
    And don't get me started on group work! It's so unfair- I can't put my hatred for it in words!

dambarude wrote: »
    And don't get me started on group work! It's so unfair- I can't put my hatred for it in words!

Definitely agree with you on that one... It's such a pain trying to meet up with different groups and then it's harder to coordinate the workload! GRRRR

• Advertisement

RibenaHead wrote: »
    Definitely agree with you on that one... It's such a pain trying to meet up with different groups and then it's harder to coordinate the workload! GRRRR

Not to mention social loafers...

group work would be far better if they ran it like they do in other colleges - so not everyone gets the same grade, you submit a paper saying what bits you did and get marked accordingly!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

group work would be far better if they ran it like they do in other colleges - so not everyone gets the same grade, you submit a paper saying what bits you did and get marked accordingly!

This is the approach the Visual Arts department is taking in the Ped-Op this semester.

Even with individualisation of marks I still don't think it's very fair... It's not too bad when you've a small group, 2/3 maybe, it's harder for people to not bother doing things, but 4+ just doesn't work unless you've a group of very like minded people.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Hahaha, Claire Hannon and Laura Splillane are running for pres and vice. I wouldn't trust them with... well anything!

• Advertisement

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Hahaha, Claire Hannon and Laura Splillane are running for pres and vice. I wouldn't trust them with... well anything!

Interesting... I don't now them so i'll reserve my judgement until Hustings!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I knew the pair of us should have run!

Alas, we lack the required bosoms and monotonous thought patterns to appeal to the electorate. Although, I have been working on the bosoms.

ye wouldn't have got through hustings without cracking up :p

I'd like to think people would have been laughing with us, come up with the most ridiculous answers possible. :D

Together you'd be, "Dark Overlord"

Sounds ominous! :eek:

Damn it that'd be awesome. Wish we'd run now!

Just looking at the candidate manifestos there... they're pretty uninspiring/unrealistic. Some of the ideas just sound silly to me. I'd love to know what
    Introduce more recognition of the importance of paperwork in the B.Ed and B.Ed and Psychology course.
    is meant to mean.

Things like:
    Calling nurse / nurse query line of sorts
    are very unlikely to happen.

And this one:
    Promote cycling or walking to college.
    doesn't make any sense. It's not like everyone drives from Castlewell and Ashdown into college! They'd have nowhere to park anyway!

This one did make me smile though:):
    Often the B.Ed and Psychs are forgotten about on things as simple as sign in sheets and groups for assignments. I intend to work on getting the B.Ed and Psychs more recognition. Nobody should feel out of place on campus even because of something small.
    I feel so out of place!:(;)

Claire and Laura have some decent and pretty realistic ideas, and the other ones (the one with that awful photoshop of them as superman/wonderwoman in particular) is completely ridiculous.

Excellent post Dan.

I spent the day laughing to myself after reading the manifesto's this morning!
    most of the stuff is completely out of the power of an SU president or vice-president, and more of it is just completely rediculous!
    roll on hustings tomorrow for some more laughs :D

• Advertisement

And, for laughs right now, look at Mairéad and Noel's campaign video - it's cheesetastic!

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1334066403557

Cheese video... I'd rather not :D

the one with that awful photoshop of them as superman/wonderwoman in particular) is completely ridiculous.

My lord... when I saw that poster my mind was made up straight away. The little policy statements around the two characters are pretty lame, so it's both uninteresting policy-wise and aesthetically revolting. I agree with you Onion, that Claire Hannon's manifesto is much more realistic, but I still think I'm going to be voting RON for president.

I'm going to smell of cheese for days :(

I hope everyone made an informed vote today :)

I voted, but it wasn't particularly well informed! I didn't have time to go hustings last night so I didn't really know who I was voting for:confused:. I voted RON for president though. I thought the electoral campaign this year was a lot deader this year, I don't know why. That said, there was nice buzz about today. The sun makes such a difference!

It was a lot "deader" because plastering posters everywhere and spending money on ice-cream trucks and that kind of thing is now banned. You have to campaign on the merits of your manifesto and not on how much money Daddy is willing to fork out. You should have gone to hustings tbh.

It was a lot "deader" because plastering posters everywhere and spending money on ice-cream trucks and that kind of thing is now banned. You have to campaign on the merits of your manifesto and not on how much money Daddy is willing to fork out. You should have gone to hustings tbh.

Take it easy please Onion.

I know I should have gone to hustings, and I would have if I could. Sadly, having exams, lab reports and history assignments crammed into the next week and a half doesn't leave much time for other events. I went last year, and I knew exactly who I'd vote for afterwards, but I didn't have that opportunity this year. I read most of the manifestos instead.

And there was more to the deadness of the elections than the lack of capital investment in campaigns. I think it's because there was no run up to the election- everyone was off last week for Easter. I had totally forgotten that elections were on today until I saw everyone jumping about with posters outside the library.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭ciarraioch1

Congratulations to Mairead Collins and Noel Byrne, who were elected President and vice president of MISU for the 2010-2011 academic year!!

• Advertisement

Delighted :D

They were in Baker's last night, seemed over the moon. Great stuff

Advertisement