Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chit Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 micmuinteoir

ABout the multimedia authoring - I would consider it but I am really frustrated that everything is so PC based. If they were using mac's I'd definitely do it. The only way to go if you want to do some real web stuff - great on graphics. PC's suck.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Both of them suck, linux is the way forward ;) I know what you're saying but I don't agree. Besides we're using fireworks and dreamweaver which are both available on macs, so what's the problemo? Also, you have to appeal to the masses who are going to be using PCs. There's nothing a Mac can do that a PC can't but let's not get into that here, eh?

PS: *Takes out a notepad* /MM owns a Macbook

LINUX IS FOR NERDS!!!

Anyway regardless of whether it is dreamweaver or fireworks - it is all about colour ... and you just don't get the colour on a PC! As for appealing to the masses - erverything in education is mac-based (at least outside Ireland). But as you said - enough of that! Nice to see someone interested in technology

Technology is my passion along with music. Hence being mod of GH&RB! Thinking of starting a gaming soc next semester, could be a bit of a laugh. Are you going to tell us where you heard about this thread at least? :o

Ah - I'll give you that piece of info. I actually saw you mention it on the Ning.

Gaming soc sounds good - I'll wear my Sonic the Hedgehog t-shirt!

• Advertisement

And I'll wear my mario in frog costume outfit! Right, that's 2 signatures anyway, 18 to go!

I bet there are a bunch of closet gamers hiding out. I always suspected two of those women who sit in the hut in reception are secretly playing half-life!

The thoughts of school tomorrow - I like the kids - but hate the prep. Supervisors goes through everything - she misses nothing! Previous member of gestapo I think.

I'm the same, love teaching, hate the stress of a possible visit. She wont be in this week, but I'm not ruling out a consultant. I've had one every time at this stage, it's ridiculous!

Yeah. Hopefully I'll escape one too. Just a few days to go and then one very big party.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭ciarraioch1

Hey & welcome micmuinteoir!!

Ah go on..you have to give us a hint as to who you are...
    that's 2 signatures anyway, 18 to go!
    I thought I was the second sig?!
    mario in frog costume outfit
    it takes a pretty cool person to buy such a good present :P

Have to say I agree on the whole mac-education front; but as we established earlier most maryi heads believe that the internet is made up of hotmail, facebook and the occasional google search for wikipedia articles.
    Asking them to use a mac would cause heads to explode..."where is the left click??!!"
    As hilarious as that would be...best stick with windows.

Am I allowed a second rant in less than a week?
    Too bad if I'm not:
    Our senior tp starts on monday, if we miss 2 days due to illness/school closure we must repeat them in our 'study week'. We have been informed that the college has scheduled an exam for the tue of our study week. That is horrible enough, but if someone were to hypothetically need to repeat 2 days they would be forced to choose between exam or tp...what incompetent admin system makes planning errors like that?!!!

rant over for now :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭lighthouse

RonMexico wrote: »
    Having attended other colleges and studied abroad I have to say despite some of the faults evident in Mary I (mostly due to funding) the college is GREAT.

1: The size is a bonus in my opinion - in large universities you are just a number in a very large crowd. There is a much friendlier atmosphere in Mary I.

2: Having spent a considerable amount of time getting soaked to the skin walking around U.L. in the middle of winter I am glad that I can get around Mary I quickly and generally unscathed by our cruel weather. :D

3: Smaller groups usually means that you get to know the lecturers and tutors which is important if you have a problem and need help. They are all usually very accommodating.

4: Forget The Stables - You can't beat the pint of Guinness in Fenesseys.

5: Last but not least - you are surrounded by gorgeous wimminz :pac:

As Jack Charlton says in the Carlsberg add. "Couldn't agree with you more"

That is a fact, one of the best, if not the best pints in Limerick.

Couldn't agree with you more.

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Cathecitics classes always get right up my nose, it's like religious indoctrination. I also have this thing against the SU. I never feel like I should be in there :confused:

Wait until I'm back in January. I'll sort that out.

Nail, on head, hit. It feels like if you go in for a chat (as that student diary thing suggests :rolleyes:) you're interrupting a very important clique from seriouz buiznezz... And to be honest I don't even know what they do, I know in my two years thus far, I've never seen anything important come out of the SU, except last year when they removed everyone's right to put posters up, so they could pimp their new site (which sucks), leaving the walls of Mary I dull and boring. Those two from last year were a complete joke.

[/rant]
    Sorry :o

What do you think of WTL, all run by one person. Don't forget the competition closes on Sunday but be warned it could close ANYTIME in the meantime.

Hey there!

I have to step in and defend the su...

Its true that they aren't afforded as much power as the su in larger colleges like ul; however they do make a difference. I'll give three relevant examples:

The college put back the computer lab closing time to 6pm due to the recession or some cost cutting measure. No one was happy with this...SU lobbied the college. The computer room is now back to normal opening hours.

The B.Ed and Psychs & ECCE students have been the only courses in the college without official notice boards for the last number of years. This year the new SU got us a notice board!! (small thing, but important nonetheless!!)

The college pays for one nurse at the health center. This is completely inadequate so last year the SU gave the funding to hire a second nurse so as to relieve the pressure and see more students.

One of the main criticisms of the SU is that it is a bit clique-y, but what can you expect from a small college where the same group of people end up running for positions and running the clubs and socs every year. Its kind of inevitable that these people will get friendly.. If you have a problem with how things are run you should step in and offer your two cents..most societies are dying for help!

In relation to Wired not being played in the canteen, siopa, lounge; Wired goes back on air next monday so its impossible to air it at present.
    The canteen is run by Campbell Catering so the su have no power over what is played. Last years' ents officers made a formal request to Campbells to have wired played in the canteen; it was played for about a week before changing back to spin.
    Most people complain when music is on in the lounge because so much group work ends up being done there. The siopa should play Wired, but its up to the ladies who work there really.
    The Wired FM schedule is much more structured this year so hopefully it will be played more in the college (eg it won't go from pop show -> death metal or anything so dramatically different)
    Also Wired FM will be streaming online in the coming weeks..

I haven't been around College much this semester so as a member of the executive I can't really comment about this clickey atmosphere between members of the Union. However as a mature student I probably would be somewhat outside of whatever click that exists. I was elected by the students (716 of them who gave me No. 1, sorry couldn't help but throw that in) and my loyalties would be to the students.

Ah it's yourself. Congrats on your first post!

Wasn't their a note on the door that said that they were going to put the times back to normal soon as they could? Or was that all part of the web of despair and evil. Ha... (ww)web :P

The whole clique-yness is what puts people off from doing this in the first place. It may be easy for someone as well known around the college like yourself, but for the people who sort of hang out in the background, such a propistion is both more difficult and daunting.

Nothing to defend really, I personally have nothing agaisnt the SU office, I'm just saying I likewise have no good experiences with them. If I want something done I go to Student Services. Great bunch up there, from my experience.

As for the Wired F.M. thing, I was aware of the whole "not on air yet" thing, but I can almost guarantee that when they do finally get back up and running (have you a show again?), that the canteen will still be playing Spin F.M. despite the speakers in their belonging to Wired... Madness. The shop is another story though, and as far as I'm concerned those women (and that one hairy man)have more than earned the right to listen to whatever the hell they want! Last time I was in the lounge, "The Box" was playing at full blast *shudders*...

Finally a massive w00t to the fact that wired is FINALLY streaming!

Don't be worried about the difficult and daunting thing. I didn't let that stop me last year running for a position on the exec. Personally I have found that the biggest obstacles to me getting involved in things are in my own mind but I try and not let this stop me.

Lads how many of you rent accommodation near the college? Thinking of moving out of home myself but I have never rented before and I am not sure if I could even afford it. Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Look in the welfare and equality section of WTL.

Do you guys use the forum over @ whatsthelan at all :confused:

I registered tonight (ok I am a postgrad not sure if it is even geared towards us at all) and it appears to be dead!

First thing that struck me is the forum format - it is not the best.

Boards.ie style is far far better. I run my own forum in this style and it is so much easier to navigate etc.

I also have a blog with 100,000+ hits so if anyone wants any advice regarding getting the site/forum in gear then feel free to ask.

I don't get Mary I students sometimes...it is a great idea and it appears to be dying a slow death...

Yes Ron,
    The forum is kinda dead allright. I set that up after trying to set up a proper forum on the website which I couldn't get working. Might have a go at it again though. the forum is open to everyone. Obviously you can't compare the forum with boards.ie but its a free forum and i had it set up in a few minutes. Also don't forget the competition on WTL at the moment.

sceptre wrote: »
    ... as well as what Peteee said, you like having your Mary I thread open?

Keep that in mind. I don't have a particular interest in policing Mary I so I'll just remove access from the UL board hosting it for anyone who acts the maggot and hence makes me do so.

I'm not as strict on the forum on WTL but then I have an average of 1 post a month at the moment :(

6th class in scoil íde in corbally
    looks like a half decent school!

[HTML]http://www.scoilide.ie/[/HTML]

I did my first year TP there, 1st class. very good school.

• Advertisement

Hi there! I am a MIC student too. 3rd year Bed. What r u all thinking of doing for this ped op? R any of them interesting do u tink?

I put down the interactive whileboard one, web design no. 2.

Hi micmuinteoir, welcome to the thread, the forum, and to boards.ie in general. You should take a look at the chater of a specific forum before posting in it, "UL"s one is here

Just a quick note ;)

[/takes off welcoming hat :)]

So yeah, hey! My TP is going well, I've had 2 visits now, the first one was bad and the second one was great, so that's good. I just want to get out the other side at this stage.

For Ped-op I'm doing what you'd expect from a proper nerd and doing multimedia authoring and web design, as is ciarraiochONE.

What group are you in?

Good you might be able to help me with WTL next semester. Have Dreamweaver if you want it.

Sweet merciful flying spaghetti monster- lighthouse, you'll be busted for spam if you're not careful, I know you had to catch up and all, but triple posting is dangerous territory, never mind 10 in a row :eek:! (could you go back and put them into one?! In fact, you really have to, if an admin sees that there'll be war)
    Am I allowed a second rant in less than a week?
    Too bad if I'm not:
    Our senior tp starts on monday, if we miss 2 days due to illness/school closure we must repeat them in our 'study week'. We have been informed that the college has scheduled an exam for the tue of our study week. That is horrible enough, but if someone were to hypothetically need to repeat 2 days they would be forced to choose between exam or tp...what incompetent admin system makes planning errors like that?!!!
    That's actually a bit silly to be honest. Do them know how a calendar works, I wonder? And sorry, that makes 3 sigs so :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Just a little feedback regarding the SU.

From my experience 1st years and 2nd years don't seem to have a clue as to who their class rep is and what exactly a class rep does. It kind of makes me wonder who is organising things on that front.

Just a little feedback regarding the SU.

From my experience 1st years and 2nd years don't seem to have a clue as to who their class rep is and what exactly a class rep does. It kind of makes me wonder who is organising things on that front.

Ron,
    I have been class rep for the mature group since first year. I am now third year B Ed and will have to give up the position as I am now on the S U Exec. when I return to College after Christmas. It really depends on the class rep. Some people take it seriously and I would count myself in that category other people do it for a bit of fun. The system is there at the beginning of each year to vote for a new class rep. There is a Union council meeting every 2 weeks and all class reps are expected to attend. I would disagree with what you say regarding most people not knowing their class reps. I can only speak for the B Eds but I would say the majority of B Eds would know their class reps simply because the groups are so small. Slán go foll.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭earleuginedoyle

woah thats a load of posts since last night!
    i know who my class reps have been, cant say theyve done much, but i know who theyv been!!

our class rep is on the ball at all times!
    She generally texts everyone with info..and she got our exam moved to the saturday..so if people have to make up days they won't miss the exam!

(also, wow...that was a lot of info to digest in one go from hotrod!)

That was good of her!

Lighthouse, you have to put all those posts into one, it looks a state!

our class rep is on the ball at all times!
    She generally texts everyone with info..and she got our exam moved to the saturday..so if people have to make up days they won't miss the exam!

(also, wow...that was a lot of info to digest in one go from hotrod!)

I know a class rep like that :) Unfortunately his class are about to loose him as class rep because he has bigger fish to fry now. :D

• Advertisement

he has bigger fish to fry now

then start frying..

There hasn't exactly been a surge in health promotion this year.
    Where is shag/sexual health week for semester 1?

Advertisement