Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitness Forum Feedback - we want yore opinionz

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

BossArky wrote: »

I just found out that women use 30kg for the Fran workout... so scaling that one back up! :pac:

Transform previously suggested the following via PM:

- women can replace pull ups with a seated row with 1/3 bodyweight.

- men (who cannot do pull ups) can replace pull ups with a seated row with 1/2 bodyweight.

Yeah I knew that. I personally think it should be scaled down tho. Maybe some of the other women would be able to chime in here with their opinions.

From looking at videos of American women doing Fran, they are using 30kg but they're also able to complete the pull ups as prescribed. It seems a bit odd that here, the pull ups would be scaled back but the weight remains the same. Do ya get what I'm saying?? Having said that, it's no biggie if you do wanna stick with 30kg, I'll give it a go anyway!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

What do you think would be a decent weight for the thrusters? Shall we stick with 15kg then?

Is 15kg too heavy / light?

What do you think would be a decent weight for the thrusters? Shall we stick with 15kg then?

Is 15kg too heavy / light?

I don't wanna pick a number on behalf of everyone else!! :o :P

Maybe if Colm sees this he might be able to provide some insight. I'd be cool with using whatever the standard weight is for girls in his place for Fran!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭gnolan

Just to pitch in with my own thoughts; i reckon it should be kept at 30kg and the pullups not scaled down either. No scaling down for the guys either. That may seem somewhat selfish, but at the same time, i can't do 45kg thrusters or 2 pullups; let alone 21.

I think people should see it as a challenge and something to work towards; i certainly will. It shouldn't be a case of scaling it down to what we can do, rather scaling it up to what we can't do yet.

The records thread might go up at the weekend, but it could be six months to a year before i post in it, but i think it'd be better working towards something difficult and challenging than posting up the results of a challenge that i found manageable the day the thread goes up.

I hear ya, how about we have a scaled version and an unscaled version?

I do understand what you're saying about how it's meant to be a challenge, but at the same time we have to be realistic.

Unless the rest of the girls have been hiding, there's only a handful on the board who seem to be able to do ANY pull ups atm. Reading back thru this thread it seems to be mostly men who are contributing and intending to compete, there doesn't seem to be an awful lot of women interested in it at all, obviously it's a male dominated forum, but I still think there are measures that could be taken to get the women more interested and active within it. By making the tasks unnecessarily hard (and down right impossible for most of the girls) is only going to push them away.
    If we had a scaled version which females stand a chance at actually competing in it might encourage them to push that little bit harder over time with a view to completing the unscaled version.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

gnolan wrote: »
    Just to pitch in with my own thoughts; i reckon it should be kept at 30kg and the pullups not scaled down either. No scaling down for the guys either. That may seem somewhat selfish, but at the same time, i can't do 45kg thrusters or 2 pullups; let alone 21.

I think people should see it as a challenge and something to work towards; i certainly will. It shouldn't be a case of scaling it down to what we can do, rather scaling it up to what we can't do yet.

The records thread might go up at the weekend, but it could be six months to a year before i post in it, but i think it'd be better working towards something difficult and challenging than posting up the results of a challenge that i found manageable the day the thread goes up.
    Malteaser! wrote: »
    I hear ya, how about we have a scaled version and an unscaled version?

I do understand what you're saying about how it's meant to be a challenge, but at the same time we have to be realistic.

Unless the rest of the girls have been hiding, there's only a handful on the board who seem to be able to do ANY pull ups atm. Reading back thru this thread it seems to be mostly men who are contributing and intending to compete, there doesn't seem to be an awful lot of women interested in it at all, obviously it's a male dominated forum, but I still think there are measures that could be taken to get the women more interested and active within it. By making the tasks unnecessarily hard (and down right impossible for most of the girls) is only going to push them away.
    If we had a scaled version which females stand a chance at actually competing in it might encourage them to push that little bit harder over time with a view to completing the unscaled version.

I agree with both of you. The challenges need to be hard enough to aspire to.... but also not pie in the sky stuff.

Unless there are any other suggestions I'll create 2 challenges (for both men and women)

men: 45kg thrusters / pull ups
    men: 30kg thrusters / 50% bodyweight seated row

women: 20kg thrusters / 50% bodyweight seated row
    women: 15kg thrusters / 33% bodyweight seated row

Sounds ok?

The boards.ie fitness records are up and open for business. Find them here.

Any feedback let me know. Style / format ok? I'm sure there are a few typos in there somewhere.

If you have better "example" videos for any of the exercises let me know.

You can thank me when Ireland is churning out world class athletes a few years down the line :pac:

Woah BA, you've put some fierce amount of work into this!! Kudos!!

I can't wait to see it getting off the ground now!!

Quick question: Are the potential records submitted meant to be from a specified time period only? I know it was put forward by --amadeus-- a few pages back that it would be a disadvantage to let stuff in that's three or four years old. Is that the case or does anything go??

I just had a quick read thru the rules there so may have totally missed it if it's already been accounted for!! :o

Quick question: Are the potential records submitted meant to be from a specified time period only? I know it was put forward by --amadeus-- a few pages back that it would be a disadvantage to let stuff in that's three or four years old. Is that the case or does anything go??

Shall we do it on a yearly basis? So, the current records thread can be for 2009, which is handy because after the trial period of 6 or 7 months we can review and chop out the dead wood challenges.

We can take the top 3 or 5 from each category into an eternal "hallf of fame" as --amadeus-- mentioned, then start over with the some of the same challenges and perhaps a few new/tweaked ones in 2010.

I realise this is not ideal for some people... but it will keep it fresh and allow people to train to break in to the top few, whilst the ones at the top will have to keep training to stay there.

If people don't agree them I'm happy to change it whatever the majority wants. For the moment we'll go with a yearly basis unless I hear otherwise. Will update it now.
    I just had a quick read thru the rules there so may have totally missed it if it's already been accounted for!! :o

I should have included this - good spot. There are probably other things I have missed too. We'll iron them out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

man bossarky, seriously big kudos on the records forum. You obviously put alot of effort into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I think that sounds excellent boss, great job done, very thorough. I can't see fault with any of it, and I was surprised and interested in one or two challenges I hadn't expected to see. This was a really great idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

now to see if i can get a friend to record my 100 metre time, i might get a record slot :D by being the quickest to post

I think I'm officially becoming a pain in the ass but I have another query.

With the seated rows - aren't we going to have a bit of a problem with people using different machines. I know that each machine has the weight it's meant to represent on each plate but in reality I think there's a big difference between machines in relation to what they say they weigh and what they actually weigh. For example, I think it was you BossArky (could have been Brian) who was saying in your log that they were using half the weight that I was for pulldown abs, I doubt that was really the case, I think the more likely explanation is that there was a difference in the weight stacks we were using.

In TF Blanch I know there's a difference in the weight stack depending on what machine you use even tho they're supposed to be the same.

Yeah that's true, wonder if bb rows would be a better alternative? I guess it could be hard to scale stuff down and also regulate it.

I'd say inverted rows or something like these: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM-b4qOOWsE would be good substitutes. (without the weight on your stomach obviously!! :D)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

BA, absolutely outstanding job on those records. Seriously, I cannot believe how well put together it is. SERIOUS kudos.

One small change RE: Squat rules - I think we should take out the part about the knee wraps, no one really went for it, and i just stuck it in incase anyone had some they wanted to use. Again, I don't really care either way so anyone who wants to weigh in on it do so!

*slaps head* absolutely, great choice Malt, makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

well done bossarky, seriously good job. bossarky for president.

I swear I'm not trying to be a pain in the arse.... but it would appear sinclair points don't actually compare men to women.

Using this calc; http://www.qwa.org/Liftstats/calculate.asp

Men: 150kg @ 80kg = 184 points
    Women: 150kg @ 80kg = 164 points

Seems weird a woman can lift the same as a man and score lower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭dioltas

Great work.

One small thing, in the cindy crossfit challenge, should it be number of rounds completed instead of time?

Also, Hanley, what do wrist wraps do for you in the bench press? Where could I pick some up? Just wondering cause I broke my arm a few years back and it sometimes gives me trouble..

Thanks for the feedback all. Good stuff.

Based on PM feedback I have added an a second table in the womens push ups section. Women can now do full push ups, as well as push ups on knees.

Yeah that's true, wonder if bb rows would be a better alternative?

+1 ... see my comments below.
    With the seated rows - aren't we going to have a bit of a problem with people using different machines. I know that each machine has the weight it's meant to represent on each plate but in reality I think there's a big difference between machines in relation to what they say they weigh and what they actually weigh. For example, I think it was you BossArky (could have been Brian) who was saying in your log that they were using half the weight that I was for pulldown abs, I doubt that was really the case, I think the more likely explanation is that there was a difference in the weight stacks we were using.

Good point Malteaser. I didn't think of that (& yes it was me who mentioned that cable stuff in my log previously).

This morning I did CrossFit - Fran... and found it pretty hard to protect my barbell from being snapped up by other gym users when I was doing the pull ups.

How about we sub in barbell rows instead of inverted rows / pull ups for those who cannot manage them? This means that you can use the same barbell for the thrusters, change the weight in 15 seconds and then do your bent over rows. It may now be ideal, but at least it stops people stealing your equipment... and stops others thinking you are hogging two pieces of equipment.

Inverted rows would probably be the better option... but barbell rows are more "accessible" i.e. there are usually more bars free than squat rack / smith machine frames.

Thoughts?
    Hanley wrote: »
    One small change RE: Squat rules - I think we should take out the part about the knee wraps, no one really went for it, and i just stuck it in incase anyone had some they wanted to use. Again, I don't really care either way so anyone who wants to weigh in on it do so!

Knee wraps removed from the squat rules.

Hanley wrote: »
    I swear I'm not trying to be a pain in the arse.... but it would appear sinclair points don't actually compare men to women.

Using this calc; http://www.qwa.org/Liftstats/calculate.asp

Men: 150kg @ 80kg = 184 points
    Women: 150kg @ 80kg = 164 points

Seems weird a woman can lift the same as a man and score lower.

Do you mean that particular calculator is wonky?, ... or that sinclair in general doesn't compare men and women?

It was the only link I could find last night.

Suggestions on what we should do?

Do you mean that particular calculator is wonky?, ... or that sinclair in general doesn't compare men and women?

It was the only link I could find last night.

Suggestions on what we should do?

I don't know to be honest...... I just ran a couple of quick calcs on that one so I don't know if it's a problem with the calculator, or whether the forumla doesn't allow cross-sex comparisons!

dioltas wrote: »
    One small thing, in the cindy crossfit challenge, should it be number of rounds completed instead of time?

No, it is max rounds in 20 minutes. Just checked. Correct me if I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭dioltas

No, it is max rounds in 20 minutes. Just checked. Correct me if I'm wrong.

In the table I mean.

Great work though man, looks really well. Gonna be a while before I submit anything I'd say though! :pac:

From the records thread;
    The problem with all these lifts is that they were done in 2008. This thread is supposed to be for 2009.

We can either open this thread up so that everyone can post their lifetime bests up to and including 2009 and then reset at the end of the year, or we can just take lifts from 2009.

:confused:

They were all done in December 2008 in fairness, and they're only the ones I had vids of anyway, so they're not even lifetime bests. I just assumed it would be in the last 12 months so you don't have people posting lifts from 4 years ago, but whatever like I don't mind.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt as I know you are still good for them :D

Will add them later.

dioltas wrote: »
    In the table I mean.

Great work though man, looks really well. Gonna be a while before I submit anything I'd say though! :pac:

Ah, I see what you mean now. Another good spot!

I've changed it from "time" to "rounds" in the Cindy table. Thanks.

Hanley, your PL stuff is updated.

• Advertisement

Good point Malteaser. I didn't think of that (& yes it was me who mentioned that cable stuff in my log previously).

This morning I did CrossFit - Fran... and found it pretty hard to protect my barbell from being snapped up by other gym users when I was doing the pull ups.

How about we sub in barbell rows instead of inverted rows / pull ups for those who cannot manage them? This means that you can use the same barbell for the thrusters, change the weight in 15 seconds and then do your bent over rows. It may now be ideal, but at least it stops people stealing your equipment... and stops others thinking you are hogging two pieces of equipment.

Inverted rows would probably be the better option... but barbell rows are more "accessible" i.e. there are usually more bars free than squat rack / smith machine frames.

I'm pretty sure that somewhere out there is a Crossfitter reading this thread, cringing with disbelief at what we've done to their beloved Fran!! :D

(Colm, I'm looking at you!! )

Advertisement