Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitness Forum Feedback - we want yore opinionz

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭chrism2007

it already exists.......................Its called youtube:cool:

well i understand that but it would be good to have a section where each thread contains an instructional video.

maybe even only moderators with experience can post new threads as to keep it organized and neat

anyone can obviously reply to them with questions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

chrism2007 wrote: »
    well i understand that but it would be good to have a section where each thread contains an instructional video.

maybe even only moderators with experience can post new threads as to keep it organized and neat

anyone can obviously reply to them with questions

except there really is no set way to do any exercise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

I think a little disclaimer would be in order for safety reasons. If people read the records thread and want to have a go at getting on the squat leaderboard even though they've never really trained for it before just walk straight up to the rack, load up 1.5 bodyweight and get crushed we (you) could have some issues.

It might sound stupid but it could happen. What's the story if someone goes to a solicitor claiming to be injured while competing on the Boards squat challenge?

kevpants wrote: »
    IIt might sound stupid but it could happen. What's the story if someone goes to a solicitor claiming to be injured while competing on the Boards squat challenge?

We all blame Hanley

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

kevpants wrote: »
    I think a little disclaimer would be in order for safety reasons.

You're probably right and it's a good idea. As a citizen of the earth (rather than as a mod on boards) the needs for this kind of warning for legal ass coverage reasons really bugs me though. I think if you're an eejit and you hurt yourself then you should really just suck it up.

• Advertisement

Khannie wrote: »
    You're probably right and it's a good idea. As a citizen of the earth (rather than as a mod on boards) the needs for this kind of warning for legal ass coverage reasons really bugs me though. I think if you're an eejit and you hurt yourself then you should really just suck it up.

that reminds me of a cop taking off his badge to puck the shiite outa someone then putting it back on after

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

Maybe there should be a "workout buddies" thread for people looking for workout partners in their area/gym? I just saw a "gig buddies" forum over on music and thought of it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Hi everyone, just to let you know we haven't forgotten about this - we're all kinda busy with RL stuff at the moment but the wheels will be put in motion very soon to get some of this off the ground.

P.S. Good luck to Khannie this weekend for his big fight :D:p;)

Alrighty, two updates for y'all.

1. The competition thread will be up and running in due course - now that we've lured BossArky in we're giving him the numero uno priority on the "To Do" list and that thread is it, so I'm sure he's going to be collaborating with you guys to get that finalised over the course of the next while [having said that, we'd very much appreciate a little more of your ohsofabulous patience on this, I know BA has exams coming up and RL commitments are taking priority for all of us].

2. The Supplement Forum. We've discussed this and I'm afraid it's not good news. We can all totally see why it was suggested but the truth is that boards.ie is changing behind the scenes and the roles that companies will play on our discussion boards will be changing radically on a forum-to-forum basis. Having a supplement forum where company representatives can interact with users would require a lot of background work and constant monitoring and I'm afraid that we just don't have the resources to do that. A dedicated supplement forum will attract a lot of unwanted traffic that we just don't feel we want/ need to have to cope with.

If someone can give me a solid, argument-proof reason why a supplement forum should go ahead then I'm all ears but trust me, the commercial interaction policies that will soon be instigated are painfully long and it will take a lot of convincing to embrace the prospect of more work :o

That begs the question then, if we have no supplement sub-forum should the sticky be un-stickied and we just let threads get started as needed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Yay competitions!

Boo no supplements forum? Personally I don't think every supps question deserves its own thread, that'll clog up the forum very quickly. I'm starting to think that if we can't have a forum for supps then there should be a ban on their discussion. The replies are pretty similar in every thread, and there doesn't need to be dozens of threads every month asking which brand of protein is better. A sticky with the basic information-what each product is, who needs them, why maximuscle is overpriced-that would then be locked and referred to if someone starts a thread about something, and then that thread locked.

• Advertisement

I'd say probably leave it as it is so g'em. The Supplements sticky takes some of the discussion away from the main forum, I reckon if it went we'd end up with deluges of milkshake threads. It's probably "as you were" in that you reserve the right to lock/move threads on supplements but wouldn't necessarily always need to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I agree with Kev.... In my opinion having a floating supplement thread, or not having a merged one at all could potentially be disasterous (well....). I thik it'll just end up wrecking peoples heads like the Ben Dunne gyms and old supplement threads used to.

I'm not sure what angle everyone else was approaching it from, but I wasn't suggesting any commercial interaction. Just a serperate place where people can discuss the pros and cons of the supplements they used, and ask advice on which ones they should get. Of course everyone here can just then ignore that and hope they all eventually go away :D

I realise i'm not privy to the changes that are being made, but mods, would the powers that be still be against a supplement subforum even if it was only used for people to ask supplement related queries. Like not have a maximuscle, nutritionX, ON etc thread... but just threads started by posters asking questions about the supplements they may or may not buy? Pretty much exactly like what happens now, but just in it's own subforum...?

Hanley wrote: »
    I realise i'm not privy to the changes that are being made, but mods, would the powers that be still be against a supplement subforum even if it was only used for people to ask supplement related queries. Like not have a maximuscle, nutritionX, ON etc thread... but just threads started by posters asking questions about the supplements they may or may not buy? Pretty much exactly like what happens now, but just in it's own subforum...?
    This would probably be viable. Is there enough supplement traffic to warrant a subforum?

I'm hoping that someone can bamboozle me with statistics relating to 'supplement' thread searches and the like, I can't argue with % marks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Hanley wrote: »
    I'm not sure what angle everyone else was approaching it from, but I wasn't suggesting any commercial interaction.

Was just going to say the same thing, even with the way boards is changing I think the Mods still have a lot of power over their forums so I would mirror Hanley's advice. No Com Reps at all. (Could be a good and bad thing, Com Reps might offer decent discounts and tailor products to the boards market but we could get sick of hearing about a certain brand over and over)

From a workload point of view, do not allow them as then all you'll have to worry about is shills.

If they are allowed you have to vet them all individually and monitor their useage, way too much work tbh for the return it may offer the community

Pretty much exactly like what happens now, but just in it's own subforum...?

The problem as I see it is the following, even with a no Com Reps rule will a supplement sub forum attract more shills (and therefore work) than the Fitness forum currently does?

I don't know the answer to that last question but to me that's what I'd base my decision on (assuming Com Reps are not allowed to post that is)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

re: board.ie fitness records

The aim is to get the fitness records up and running by the end of May.

There are a few bits and pieces which could do with your input.

I think Hanley's suggestion of 1 post with all the records is a good one. It can be edited as new successful records are submitted.

Everyone, please let me know your thoughts on the following initial list of fitness records. We can add new ones going forwards as demand dictates.

1) Push ups
    • separate male & female table
    • one category for all bodyweight
    • max in 1 min

2) Pull ups
    • separate male & female table
    • one category for all bodyweight
    • max in 1 min

3) Powerlifting Totals
    • 3 lift total
    • Rankings by WILKS
    • Combined male & female table
    • To submit a total here you will need to submit an entry in each of the individual powerlifts (squat, bench, deadlift) lifts below
    • Average bodyweight taken for WILKS calculations
    • Ideally the 3 lifts will have been done within ~1 month of each other so you are roughly the same weight

4) Squat (separate male & female table)
    5) Bench (separate male & female table)
    6) Deadlift (separate male & female table)

7) Olympic Lifting Totals
    • 2 lift total
    • Rankings by SINCLAIR
    • To submit a total here you will need to submit an entry in each of the individual olylifts (snatch, clean & jerk) lifts below
    • Average bodyweight taken for SINCLAIR calculations
    • Ideally the 2 lifts will have been done within ~1 month of each other so you are roughly the same weight

8) Snatch (separate male & female table)
    9) Clean & Jerk (separate male & female table)

10) Power Clean (separate male & female table)

Questions

Are records 4 – 6 by WILKS and 8-10 by SINCLAIR?

Or.... do we break each individual lift down into a number of bodyweight categories for both male and female? If yes, what categories? By 10kg? by 15kg? By stone?

Should the oly lifts total include powerclean or is it just another single lift?

I still have to find the time to read back through the thread and take everyone’s suggestions on board re other potential records. Is there anything glaringly obvious that I have missed from the list?

Let me know your thoughts on the above, particularly weight classes in the single lifts (squat, bench, deadlift, snatch & clean & jerk).

3-6 is Wilks alright.

I think you've done a damn fine job there!!!

RE: Snatch and clean and jerk, I dunno how viable this would be, but could it just be an "anyway" snatch and clean and jerk. I can't see 90% of the people here being able to hit a full snatch, so a power snatch might be better for them, same with C and J. By having it "anyway" you allow more people to compete, and the ones doing the full lifts will still probably get to the the top.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Good point on the "anyway" snatch & clean & jerk technique.

Do we go for Power Clean or Power Clean & Press?

Is this ranked using WILKS or SINCLAIR?

Will this be a standalone single lift? (i.e. not taken as a 3rd part of the oly lift total?)

BossArky wrote: »
    Good point on the "anyway" snatch & clean & jerk technique.

Do we go for Power Clean or Power Clean & Press?

Is this ranked using WILKS or SINCLAIR?

Will this be a standalone single lift? (i.e. not taken as a 3rd part of the oly lift total?)

Well I was thinking that since it was "anyway" powerclean could be included. Like have 2 clases - snatch (full or power) and clean (full or power) and add them 2 for a total on Sinclair.

But now that you mention it, a standalone "power clean" would be cool!! I guess it would be measured on sinclair so. And if I hit a max powerclean there's no way it's getting pressed. I'd say most people would be the same (ie unable to do it!)

I think the powerclean record, and snatch+clean for a total is a good idea tho. The former being more accessible for everyone really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Anyone care to explain Wilks & Sinclair for us noobs?

It's sorta like the attached except replace phase 1 with "Lift Weights" and phase 3 with "Wilks score".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

It's been discussed in detail over the last few pages of this thread.

I tried to go back and find a few posts that outlines what they were but I think they all need to be read together, from post 82 on I suppose...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭dioltas

That looks really good BossArky.
    Maybe they should be the main records, and then we could have other threads with fun challenges, like death by pullups, or fastest 250m on a rowing machine etc.
    We could have non competive personal challenges as well like, complete 5k, 10k, bodyweight bench etc.

Re the supplement thing, maybe we could have a fitness nutrition subforum, that would include all fitness diet, nutrition and supplement stuff. In fairness, the d & n forum is really geared towards weight loss as opposed to fitness / lifting.
    And as said already forget about the company reps.

So maybe you'd have the main fitness forum, for lifting, running, HIIT etc. The logs, the records and then the fitness nutrition for all diet related issues, bulking, cutting, counting calories, supplements, macronutrients, whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

dioltas wrote: »
    Maybe they should be the main records, and then we could have other threads with fun challenges, like death by pullups, or fastest 250m on a rowing machine etc.
    We could have non competive personal challenges as well like, complete 5k, 10k, bodyweight bench etc.

+1 on the fun records, i couldnt think of any myself except burpees. if its just powerlifting/oly lifting it will be the same people at the top whereas if there are some non lifting/strength challenges it will be more inclusive. most skips in a min might be good too and other similar stuff.

good post btw, man you must have loads of free time to be posting these tomes.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dave80

3) Powerlifting Totals
    • 3 lift total
    • Rankings by WILKS
    • To submit a total here you will need to submit an entry in each of the individual powerlifts (squat, bench, deadlift) lifts below
    • Average bodyweight taken for WILKS calculations
    • Ideally the 3 lifts will have been done within ~1 month of each other so you are roughly the same weight
    4) Squat (separate male & female table)
    5) Bench (separate male & female table)
    6) Deadlift (separate male & female table)

Raw and Equiped?

dave80 wrote: »
    Raw and Equiped?

There's no point at all doing them equipped..... there's like one or two people who lift in equipment here. For simiplicities sake it's just sooo much easier to have it at a belt and wrist wraps at the very most only. Imo!

There was a discussion on it earlier actually!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

dioltas wrote: »
    bigstar wrote: »
    +1 on the fun records, i couldnt think of any myself except burpees. if its just powerlifting/oly lifting it will be the same people at the top whereas if there are some non lifting/strength challenges it will be more inclusive. most skips in a min might be good too and other similar stuff.

good post btw, man you must have loads of free time to be posting these tomes.:pac:

How bout some of the crossfit WOD (Workout of the day) stuff - there's a full list of them here.

As above, i think something like this might be more inclusive - if its just those in BA's list, it will be a lot of the same people on the lists. There might be a bit more variety in the WOD type lists (that is assuming Hanley didn't clean up at the CrossFit invitational).

Again, another suggestion (Mod workload permitting) might be for 5k, 10k, half marathon and full marathon records. They would be more easily verifiable - we could confine it to chipped races with results available on the web.

i realise that this will mean extra work for the Mods, so i know that too much might not be feasible, but we should try and steer this away from a weights/power lifting only records thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Another suggestion i was thinking of was a Gym review sub-forum instead of the thread, with people being able to post a seperate thread for each gym, rather than one thread with all gyms listed.

Any gym review threads in the main forum could be moved/deleted.

I don't know if this would into the same issues as the proposed supplements forum though? Again, would it be possible if there was no commercial postings? Again, this would be Mod workload dependent!

Brief update:

Transform has provided some good suggestions via PM for general fitness tests / challenges. Thanks Transform! More details of these to follow in a few days. Still awaiting feedback from some other PTs.

I went through this thread today pulling out everyone's suggestions and will try to summarise them here in the next day or two.

We'll probably end up with a section with all the powerlifts/oly lifts etc requiring video evidence.... and then another section with challenges such as those suggested by Transform (similar to what you posted floggg i.e WOD type stuff). This section section wouldn't require video evidence and may be a bit less "serious" but hopefully more inclusive.

We may also have a third section with fitness goals such as:

- run a 5km, etc
    - do a triathlon, etc
    - bench bodyweight, etc

This means we can have the specific lifting stuff, as well as more inclusive fitness tests that anyone can try e.g. as many rounds of press ups / bw squats / chins in 10 mins, etc

Hopefully this will attract lots of new people and not just all the regulars :pac:

Anyway, all suggestions are being considered.

BTW this takes ages! I see what you did there g'em/Khannie/smashey :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

We may also have a third section with fitness goals such as:

- run a 5km, etc
    - do a triathlon, etc

:mad: You trying to steal all our posters in teh Running & Triathlon forum :mad:

Actually there should be some good crossover, we have a thread recording peoples best race times this year and it would be cool to have it linked in to this, it should help traffic on both forums.

Congrats on the Modship by the way :)

• Advertisement

:mad: You trying to steal all our posters in teh Running & Triathlon forum :mad:

Steal your posters? No

Annex your fora? Perhaps :pac:
    Actually there should be some good crossover, we have a thread recording peoples best race times this year and it would be cool to have it linked in to this, it should help traffic on both forums.

Great thread. Thanks for the link. You saved me the time of going over and figuring out what you are up to in the running / triathlon forum.

It is probably best if we just link from our fitness forum records to your list (if you are happy for that to happen) which contains a nicely formatted table for:
    • 5 Mile
    • 10 Mile
    • Half Mara
    • Marathon

and
    • Sprint Tri
    • Oly Tri
    • Half IM
    • IronMan

Thanks to Cowzerp & Colm O Reilly - both have provided some further PM input.

I'll put up the full list of suggestions soon.

Advertisement