Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,041 ✭✭✭✭neris

The Nal wrote: »
    I hope your lovely dog got some!

She did. The best fed individual in the house. Big bbq fan

Smoked some pork cheeks & the Christmas ham this evening. Will post more pics tomorrow. Hope to be doing shaslik kebabs for new years eve

20181230-161003.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

neris can I ask your method for smoking in the bog standard Weber, is it the snake method or something different? I only got my own Weber at the tail end of last summer so havent used it to do long smokey cooks yet, just grilling.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    neris can I ask your method for smoking in the bog standard Weber, is it the snake method or something different? I only got my own Weber at the tail end of last summer so havent used it to do long smokey cooks yet, just grilling.

You need to use briquette coals, lump wont do as it burns to quickly and briquettes you,ll get a good few hours out of if you control the heat properly. I put coals about a 3rd of the way across the grate and layer more coals on top. I use a chimney starter to get coals going and when they're ready i scatter them across the other coals and leave for a few minutes before putting 2-3 handfuls of wood chips on the coals . make sure the vent in your lid is opposite to the fire side and over your food. If your lid came without a thermometer get 1 so that you can control the heat and dont keep lifting the lid to check the food

New year's eve fire for pork shashlik kebabs on the Landmann (pos) smoker. Had to use the Weber for the chicken

20181231-202539.jpg

• Advertisement

neris wrote: »
    Smoked some pork cheeks & the Christmas ham this evening. Will post more pics tomorrow. Hope to be doing shaslik kebabs for new years eve

20181230-161003.jpg

Did they taste as good as they looked? Would you have a marinade recipe ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Chicken Tikka and home made Naan on BGE

469446.jpg

469447.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10 katekuchen

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Chicken Tikka and home made Naan on BGE

That looks gorgeous. Do you have a go-to naan recipe that works well on the egg?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

katekuchen wrote: »
    That looks gorgeous. Do you have a go-to naan recipe that works well on the egg?

Both are Jamie Oliver. The uses some brown flour in the bread which would not do the next time and just just white.

Did they taste as good as they looked? Would you have a marinade recipe ?

I wrapped both in foil and added proseco in and left for about an hour. I then put a "glaze" of treacle sugar mustard and mustard powder on one and left for an hour wrapped and the other in proseco alone. They both turned out good and nice snooker flavour as meat but next time I wouldn't use proseco and would change the glaze. Beer or juice for the liquid and maybe a proper bbq glaze. I've used that glaze on hams in the oven and it's very nice but it just doesn't work as a bbq smoke/glaze. Tbh I think even a strike bought marinade would have worked better but ham wouldn't be something id do regularly. I served some as cold cut beer snacks on news years eve and they were lovely cold even the wife was complimentary about them cold. Left overs were only used tonight for a stew went down well.

• Advertisement

Anyone ever used turf or peat briquttes as a bbq fuel? Both give off heat but my worry world be the smoke is to strong off both and also with briquttes what chemicals are used to create the briquttes and bind them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭budgemook

Anyone ever used turf or peat briquttes as a bbq fuel? Both give off heat but my worry world be the smoke is to strong off both and also with briquttes what chemicals are used to create the briquttes and bind them

No but the pork butcher at the market I sometimes go to cold smokes his rashers over turf. The taste of turf off them is very strong!

I wrapped both in foil and added proseco in and left for about an hour. I then put a "glaze" of treacle sugar mustard and mustard powder on one and left for an hour wrapped and the other in proseco alone. They both turned out good and nice snooker flavour as meat but next time I wouldn't use proseco and would change the glaze. Beer or juice for the liquid and maybe a proper bbq glaze. I've used that glaze on hams in the oven and it's very nice but it just doesn't work as a bbq smoke/glaze. Tbh I think even a strike bought marinade would have worked better but ham wouldn't be something id do regularly. I served some as cold cut beer snacks on news years eve and they were lovely cold even the wife was complimentary about them cold. Left overs were only used tonight for a stew went down well.

Well done!. Thank for taking the time to reply.

It's this the holy grail of bbq/fire cooking??? Whole pig, duno if I'd last 18 hours though waiting for it. Like a beer when cooking outside

http://www.pbs.org/food/features/bbq-with-franklin-season-1-episode-3-whole-hog/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭Ardent

It's this the holy grail of bbq/fire cooking??? Whole pig, duno if I'd last 18 hours though waiting for it. Like a beer when cooking outside

http://www.pbs.org/food/features/bbq-with-franklin-season-1-episode-3-whole-hog/

That was awesome. I like Aaron's style, very entertaining.

I wouldn't have the motivation or patience myself. Bad enough doing pork shoulder -5 hours in the BBQ followed by 5 hours in the oven!

Anyone bought chunks of smoking wood chunks off Amazon and had them delivered through parcel motel? Sausage hut website is down and the Weber chunks off their site look like a smaller packet and expensive . 6-9kg for £25 off Amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 16,784 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've watched a lot of videos featuring whole hog roasts and while it looks like a lot of fun, I always end up with the same feeling at the end of the video when I see the end result : waste of a pig.

A whole pig is made up of countless different cuts of pork - all of which will cook differently and give different textures and flavours. What I see in these videos is that all these beautiful, diverse cuts end up all being cooked the same way and shredded into a big, homogeneous pile of pulled pork - all the same texture and flavour. A waste IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I've watched a lot of videos featuring whole hog roasts and while it looks like a lot of fun, I always end up with the same feeling at the end of the video when I see the end result : waste of a pig.

A whole pig is made up of countless different cuts of pork - all of which will cook differently and give different textures and flavours. What I see in these videos is that all these beautiful, diverse cuts end up all being cooked the same way and shredded into a big, homogeneous pile of pulled pork - all the same texture and flavour. A waste IMO.

Yeah, and having had spit roast pig before I’ve often found it to me over cooked and dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sjlc

Might be in the market for a Kamado Joe soon enough so I have a few questions.

-Is the Classic ii worth the extra €€€?
    -Where's best to buy one?
    -Options for fuel?
    -Any suggestions for a good butcher in North Dublin?

Been using a gas Weber BBQ for a few years now but never anything fancy and feel like treating myself to a charcoal BBQ

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭fitz

sjlc wrote: »
    Might be in the market for a Kamado Joe soon enough so I have a few questions.

-Is the Classic ii worth the extra €€€?
    -Where's best to buy one?
    -Options for fuel?

Been using a gas Weber BBQ for a few years now but never anything fancy and feel like treating myself to a charcoal BBQ

I use lumpwood from woodfuel.ie in my Classic, and Weber chunks. Terrific for long low and slow cooks as well as high heat grilling, or pizza oven duties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sjlc

fitz wrote: »
    I use lumpwood from woodfuel.ie in my Classic, and Weber chunks. Terrific for long low and slow cooks as well as high heat grilling, or pizza oven duties.

Do you use the NamChar or the Restaurant bag?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭fitz

Do you use the NamChar or the Restaurant bag?

The blue restaurant bag.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,063 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Spiced up a few ribs last night for a smoke today. 2 sweet, 2 spiced and 1 with an Asian twist.

attachment.php?attachmentid=470834&d=1547921233

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,063 ✭✭✭✭beertons

And here's the finished food. Really liked the Asian one, with Soy sauce, minced ginger and rice wine vinegar.

470835.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Higgins Butchers at Sutton Cross is highly recommended. They do excellent dry aged steaks in their ageing room on the premises

Got one of those vortex cones for charcoal off amazon last week and a rack for the webber so tested both last night with some flank steaks and chicken thighs. Dont think I got the best out of the Vortex as the rack was slightly high and the lid couldnt close fully so heat was escaping however the vortex did get a good heat going and kept it to reverse sear the steaks and chicken. One big negative with the vortex is it reduces cooking area quite a bit as anything over it will just burn. I used it with the wide end up this try. Steaks left over night in a salt and pepper mix and then served with chimichurri. Did the chicken in a rub from a recipe in a bbq book. Was really good but need to do it in advance next time. Now im waiting on coals and smoking woods to come from Webber which I hope to have for weekend

20190122-194602.jpg

20190122-195117.jpg

20190122-210205.jpg

20190122-212908.jpg

Roll on the snow & ice (or Saturday at least) Im ready :D Though I really need to stop buying stuff foe the BBQ. 2 large bags of briquettes, apple chunks, hickory & mesquite chips from Weber and they threw in 2 small bags of briquettes for free aswell. €52 for the lot but the box they came in looked like it had seen better days. Waiting on a slow & sear to arrive which Im looking forward to playing around with and thinking beef ribs 1st

20190130-103308-1.jpg

Got my slow & sear delivered yesterday and used it on beef ribs. best thing ive ever bought for a bbq, consistent heat and long cooking time from one load of coals

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭philidub

Got my slow & sear delivered yesterday and used it on beef ribs. best thing ive ever bought for a bbq, consistent heat and long cooking time from one load of coals

I love mine!

Where do you get your beef ribs? I've mixed experiences so far trying to source them.

• Advertisement

OMahony meats in coolock

Advertisement