Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

philidub wrote: »
    neris wrote: »
    Got my slow & sear delivered yesterday and used it on beef ribs. best thing ive ever bought for a bbq, consistent heat and long cooking time from one load of coals

I love mine!

Where do you get your beef ribs? I've mixed experiences so far trying to source them.

I actually saw them in Dunnes recently vacuum packed. Didn't pick them up but was tempted.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

My local butcher does a cut of ribs called a Jacobs ladder, would they be a good choice?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Is the slow and sear still only available in the US or are any EU/Uk sellers doing it? How much is it priced at?

I got mine from
    https://www.bbqandsmoke.co.uk

Delivery was £12, just went to the website to check and it offered me a 10% voucher

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭budgemook

eeepaulo wrote: »
    My local butcher does a cut of ribs called a Jacobs ladder, would they be a good choice?

Yep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I got mine from

Delivery was £12, just went to the website to check and it offered me a 10% voucher

Pricey enough at £100, would you say they are worth it? They seem to get great reviews but it aint a budget buy for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭davegilly

There is this one on Amazon - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07CVXSSS7/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_3?smid=A1Z68AVNRDTZ1L&psc=1 - reviews seem ok for it too. For €40 it's worth a shot anyway I'd say?

What's the difference between Spare Ribs and Bacon Ribs? Are they the same thing? I'm finding it very difficult to source pork ribs to smoke so I'm wondering could I use the Bacon Ribs I see in the local butchers instead?

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I got mine from

Pricey enough at £100, would you say they are worth it? They seem to get great reviews but it aint a budget buy for sure

Don't know, sorry, never tried an alternative, it is just a bit of fabricated metal, I'm fairly sure the profit margin is quite big. I'd buy it again though. That and the maverick 732 thermometers make low and slow easy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

davegilly wrote:
    What's the difference between Spare Ribs and Bacon Ribs? Are they the same thing? I'm finding it very difficult to source pork ribs to smoke so I'm wondering could I use the Bacon Ribs I see in the local butchers instead?

Bacon ribs are salty and not suitable for smoking. Have you asked your butcher for pork ribs or spare ribs ??

• Advertisement

davegilly wrote: »

Bacon ribs are cured and will be very salty.

I find it hard to get good spare ribs with plenty of meat left on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,041 ✭✭✭✭neris

Muahahaha wrote: »

Defo for long cooks. £100 well spent

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Surely you could get a metal fabricator* to whip you up one of those Slow & Sears for next to nothing? Seems like a really simple concept.

*Obviously you would need to know a metal fabricator in the first place!

Interesting looking home made contraption for snake method. Looks like hes used to many coals though for that cook and could cook another few meals before its burned out

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭briancarr82

Hi All, possibly might invest in a ceramic grill for the summer. I only want a small one so i have seen the Kamado Joe Jnr. They're quite expensive, i'm wondering can anyone suggest some alternatives?

What do you want to do on it? Some of the better kettles can be just as good if managed properly or you could try a drum type smoker.

mostly for general purpose grilling, will obviously try smoking and that if it's possible. I like something the size of the kamado joe junior as it's neat and tidy. Have a large kettle and takes up quite a bit of room.

If the kettle you have is in decent nick your probably better off saving the money and figuring out how to use the kettle as grill and smoker. Get some decent coals and woods and a few other accessories if you wanted and you'd still be saving a good bit. Loads of good videos on YouTube reviewing different grills & smokers and how it's aswell

There are sone cheap enough small ceramic BBQs on Amazon but the problem is that there are very few reviews, at least last time I checked.

• Advertisement

AH REGARDLESS I THINK I WILL GET ONE, I HAVE A LARGE KETTLE AS MENTIONED BUT MOST OF THE TIME I'M JUST GRILLING FOR 2/3 PEOPLE. wOULD LIKE TO GET A NICE LITTLE TIDY CERAMIC I THINK. i'LL HAVE TO RESEARCH MORE

Don't forget to tell us what you get and how you find it

anyone used the ProQ brand for a bbq/smoker? Thinking of getting myself one of these before next weekend I hope. Want to try something away from Weber but can be used for hanging ribs. It looks a good size and gives the option of adding in another level for more bigger capacity

https://www.aroomoutside.ie/bbq-smoker-grills/proq-excel-20-elite.html

proq_excel_20_elite.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

You could always build your own.

anyone used the ProQ brand for a bbq/smoker?
    I got one last November. Haven't done too much in it yet - the turkey at Xmas and a few slowish cooked lamb legs. All turned out perfect. Haven't had time to do any proper smoking on it yet.

I did have a problem where I couldn't quench the fire properly after a cook but it turned out it was user error on my part, I was leaving a vent at the back open :)

It holds temp fairly well once you've gotten it dialled in, which can take a while. I'd recommend it so far but haven't used it enough really to be praising it to high heavens. It does come with a lot more accessories than the Weber does and it's also quite a bit cheaper so there is that!!

The drum is on my to do list but I wanna research it a bit more and build 1 to suit me for grilling & hanging. I have an opportunity this weekend to sneak a new buy into the house so that's why the pro q is on my list now and will probably order tomorrow top use for a smoke Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,337 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

The drum is on my to do list but I wanna research it a bit more and build 1 to suit me for grilling & hanging. I have an opportunity this weekend to sneak a new buy into the house so that's why the pro q is on my list now and will probably order tomorrow top use for a smoke Saturday.

:D

:D

the ear ache & nagging's a lot easier when things magically appear and only get noticed a few weeks later

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

the ear ache & nagging's a lot easier when things magically appear and only get noticed a few weeks later

Everything costs €99...everything...:D

• Advertisement

oleras wrote: »
    Everything costs €99...everything...:D

yeah but all those "€99" become a good few cooking units which get very hard to hide when spotted coming in to the house. Im already up to 3 with a 4th on the way and 5th by the weekend + all accessories & extras stashed in the shed

Advertisement