Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭blue note

gaz wac wrote: »
    hey, anyone know if you can just buy closed cans or bottles in The Big Grill to go? Have free tokens but cant stay around drinking...cheers

I got a can from metalman brewery.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Any reviews of Big Grill this year? Considering heading down over the weekend. Prices don't bother me too much, more that there's a decent selection of food vendors and good amount of talks/demos.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

Amirani wrote: »
    Any reviews of Big Grill this year? Considering heading down over the weekend. Prices don't bother me too much, more that there's a decent selection of food vendors and good amount of talks/demos.

Went yesterday. Good vibe and nice to wander around for a while. Tomahawk lamb chop was delicious. Ribs from a demo by Tesco were lovely too. Kinara was very tasty (10 quid though).
    Think there are better demos today and if price not an issue , the offside for €30 looks interesting.

Overall impression was 'grand'. Expensive for what it is.
    F.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just on the Big Grill token system- do they allow you to use tokens from the previous years event?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,336 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Just on the Big Grill token system- do they allow you to use tokens from the previous years event?

I don’t know but I very much doubt it....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭dingbat

I was at Big Grill today. First time there (had freebie tickets).

Very surprised there wasn't more retail stuff. One stall selling rubs & sauces. Would have thought it was an audience primed to drool over stands and demos from Weber/Green Egg/KJ/etc...

*shrugs*

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭wobert

I just bought the last one. Wanted to buy a big green egg but was told these are better.
    Thanks for the tip.

dingbat wrote: »
    Someone in the market for a kamado BBQ (e.g. Big Green Egg) might be interested to note that with the combination of a good GBP/EUR exchange rate and a new Kamado Joe model being brought out, there are perfectly good KJs being offloaded in the UK at decent oul' prices even when you add on the price of delivery to Ireland (and stupidly good prices if you get it delivered to NI).

Example: old model KJ Classic (18") for £755 incl. VAT http://www.abbeydaledirect.co.uk/clearance/outdoor-clearance/kamado-joe-classic-18/

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭surball

dingbat wrote: »
    I was at Big Grill today. First time there (had freebie tickets).

Very surprised there wasn't more retail stuff. One stall selling rubs & sauces. Would have thought it was an audience primed to drool over stands and demos from Weber/Green Egg/KJ/etc...

*shrugs*

I think there was more retail stuff the very first year (2014 I think), the guys from aroomoutside.ie were there. Almost almost bought a Big Green Egg from them on the day. There has been nothing retail wise since then.

I enjoyed it yesterday. Went early and stayed for about 3hrs. We tried:
    the beef rib in a blaa - I generally like beef ribs, these were pretty nice
    Red pepper lamb tomahawk – beetroot tazkinki – pickle cabbage and fresh herbs - a real highlight from Jack May - https://www.instagram.com/p/Bms4RmgFFXR/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
    the smoked goat rendang - really good, served with delicious roasted aubergine
    burger from box burger - that was pretty poor.

What I find really good about the big grill is seeing the BBQ's and how they are setup and also how different things are cooked. For example last year there was a chap cooking mussels direct on the coals and smoking some trout that he had hanging over the fire. Looked great and tasted fantastic.
    I dont go looking to eat my whole dinner, just to have a taste of three or four things. If you look out also they have earlybird tickets, mine cost 20quid for the two of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,040 ✭✭✭✭neris

Finally got time yesterday to try a 2nd smoke on the Landmann offset I got a few weeks back. Tried a pork neck this time. Once again the heat was very poor in the smoke section while the fire box was roasting. The thermometer was barely registering heat over 100 degrees. It did get to 150 for a few minutes but dropped back and never got that high again. I used Webber briquettes with hickory chips but the briquettes were burning very quickly. I'm giving it one more chance as a smoker next time by packing it with coals to see if the heat builds and flows through otherwise I'll just have a spare grill lying around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

neris wrote: »
    Finally got time yesterday to try a 2nd smoke on the Landmann offset I got a few weeks back. Tried a pork neck this time. Once again the heat was very poor in the smoke section while the fire box was roasting. The thermometer was barely registering heat over 100 degrees. It did get to 150 for a few minutes but dropped back and never got that high again. I used Webber briquettes with hickory chips but the briquettes were burning very quickly. I'm giving it one more chance as a smoker next time by packing it with coals to see if the heat builds and flows through otherwise I'll just have a spare grill lying around

How is the seal around the door? I bet you’re getting most heatloss through a poor seal there. I think there’s some good repair vids on youtube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭bamayang

neris wrote: »

Silly question, but is that C or F? 150C would be the top end of what a smoker would normally achieve isn’t it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

bamayang wrote: »
    Silly question, but is that C or F? 150C would be the top end of what a smoker would normally achieve isn’t it?

Good point - I just assumed he was talking F! If that’s C then yer sorted!

It's 150c but it doesn't hold at that temp. 100c seems to be max. Googled about sealing up etc and few other things may have affected the heat. The smoker was in an exposed part of the garden on Thursday and it was very windy and showery. I think I'll need to seal between the 2 chambers & around the chimney stack. I think the the fuel grate maybe a little low aswell so need to raise it a few inches

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭tomo75

On Something totally different....I have a Broil King Gas BBQ, given to me as a (used) present from father-in-law. 
    Anyway, There are two height settings for the cast Iron grates - I have always used the higher setting - what would the lower setting be used for?
    Tomo

Smoked a beef brisket late yesterday evening. briquettes and Webber mesquite chips. Was a long thin cut which was a bit disappointing, dried out slightly around the edges and burnt in part nearest the heat but middle of it was nice for breakfast this morning. Left it to brine for 2 days in coke & onions then put a rub of pepper, salt, mustard, garlic & parika on it. Started it about 6:30 and left it for 3 hours then wrapped it in foil. Still having trouble getting the heat up in the main chamber so I left it in the smoker for the night as wasnt a huge amount of time left in the coals.

20180909_181518.jpg

20180909_212621.jpg

20180910_071426.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

How is the seal around the door? I bet you’re getting most heatloss through a poor seal there. I think there’s some good repair vids on youtube

What do people use to seal up the doors? I tried using a heat resistant mastic, which promptly cracked and came off.. And then a rubber seal (ahem). Half melted on and half fell off..
    Gonna use an old duvet or something to wrap around the smoke box and try keep the temp even.

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭janja

Has anyone been able to buy this lumpwood charcoal recently I tried the South African shop and woodfuel.ie both out of stock want to stock up for the winter
    Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Janja since you weren't getting replies I merged your question with this BBQ/Grilling thread, maybe the lads here will be able to help.

janja wrote: »
    Has anyone been able to buy this lumpwood charcoal recently I tried the South African shop and woodfuel.ie both out of stock want to stock up for the winter
    Thanks

I bought some weber stuff from http://arboretum.ie recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Thanks

it is so effing annoying that charcoal is considered seasonal in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

BailMeOut wrote: »
    it is so effing annoying that charcoal is considered seasonal in Ireland.

Its a pain in the hole.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,063 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Thanks

Try www.sausagehut.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Got some pork belly ribs on

Photos to follow lol

bbari wrote: »
    Thanks.
    They charge £20 for delivery and it works out €260 when its €275 here.

If you haven’t already picked up the Weber master touch 57cm I got one this week for €210
    delivered. I was able to price match on gooutdoors. They will knock another 10% off the price they match on. I purchased

https://m.gooutdoors.co.uk/weber-mastertouch-gbs-57cm-barbecue-p417867

using the price £199 on https://www.riversidegardencentre.co.uk/new-weber-mastertouch-57cm-slate-blue-2015.html

Slightly awkward ordering process. Involved one or two phone calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

Thank you but i got one at the time from Hillsmount in the north for stg 215 (euro 245). However the price included the chimney starter pack which worth eur 25 and its really handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Got some pork belly ribs on

Photos to follow lol

Are they done yet :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Can anyone recommend a bbq cover for a kettle bbq? Weber ones dont seem to get great reviews and are pretty pricey. Theres a couple on Amazon for around 15-20 quid has anyone tried them last winter? Are they durable to last a few years or do the cheaper ones just get ragged after a single winter?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭RonTon

I got one in Dairygold co-op (4homes) during the summer , quality is v good ,they had them for kettle and other size bbq’s but they were pricy ,think they were €40-50 , now I don’t know would they still have them in stock at this time of year...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a bbq cover for a kettle bbq? Weber ones dont seem to get great reviews and are pretty pricey. Theres a couple on Amazon for around 15-20 quid has anyone tried them last winter? Are they durable to last a few years or do the cheaper ones just get ragged after a single winter?

I got one in homebase, I think the brand is Outback.

Advertisement