Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,041 ✭✭✭✭neris

blue note wrote: »
    How's the offset going now neris? I love the look of them, but can't ignore the thought that since the box is on the side and surely roasting hot then you're losing huge amounts of heat. Whereas with the WSM you don't have that problem.

But I love the look of them and think they look like incredible fun. Did you spend much on it? I'm thinking they require at least a few hundred investment to get one thick enough to be effective.

Was only €200 in homebase. Ive only had the chance to use it once and it didnt go to well. The heat wasnt coming into the main chamber so food was smoked but not cooked however as the main chamber dohbles up as a normal bbq there is a charcoal shelf that sits about halfway up the hole between the offset and chamber and i think alot of heat may have been getting trapped under that and not circulating properly so next time ill be removing that and hoping it works

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Its a lot of trial and error when you start.
    If you dont already get yourself a double probe thermometer makes life so much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

I have been using a gas bbq for the 5 years, I have used it a good bit and its still going strong but I been thinking to switch to a charcoal one. I'll mainly be cooking, wings, chicken, chops, kebabs etc.

I have gone thru the last 25-30 pages on this thread and I see the Weber Master Touch mentioned a good bit.

Excuse my ignorance - few questions...

-I hope you aren't just paying extra for the name but for the quality also ?

-Few posters mentioned they got free griddle pan accessory - I don't see this mentioned on the ads - is it standard or was it an offer ? and what is that used for ?

-The cheapest price is 275 euro on arboretum.ie, is this a good deal or worth waiting for a better offer ?

- can you bbq a full baby chicken in it ? do i need to buy an accessory to do that?

-lastly, is this a good choice or should I be looking at something else ?

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The Weber Smokey Mountain- is this only a smoker or is there a way to get the charcoals closer to the meat to use it as a grill too? It looks like removing the middle section might turn it into a regular bbq but that then it would only be 2 foot tall and have to be placed on a table?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭dylbert

Applewood smoked pork neck, 14 hour cook.

IMG_0388.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Muahahaha wrote: »
    The Weber Smokey Mountain- is this only a smoker or is there a way to get the charcoals closer to the meat to use it as a grill too? It looks like removing the middle section might turn it into a regular bbq but that then it would only be 2 foot tall and have to be placed on a table?

I thought about this when I was getting mine. I have a Weber grill so I've never been stuck, but I did get a rack to put above the coals to use for grilling and pans. I've never used it.

Putting the bottom on top of anything flammable wouldn't be a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭surball

bbari wrote: »
    I have been using a gas bbq for the 5 years, I have used it a good bit and its still going strong but I been thinking to switch to a charcoal one. I'll mainly be cooking, wings, chicken, chops, kebabs etc.

I have gone thru the last 25-30 pages on this thread and I see the Weber Master Touch mentioned a good bit.

-Few posters mentioned they got free griddle pan accessory - I don't see this mentioned on the ads - is it standard or was it an offer ? and what is that used for ?

-The cheapest price is 275 euro on arboretum.ie, is this a good deal or worth waiting for a better offer ?

- can you bbq a full baby chicken in it ? do i need to buy an accessory to do that?

TIA

It is available here for slightly less - https://www.bbqworld.co.uk/weber-barbecues/charcoal/weber-mastertouch-57cm-gbs-slate.asp

They look like a good choice to me. You would have no problem cooking a whole chicken on it. If I was buying another charcoal BBQ it would be Weber.
    Have a gas weber q100 for the past 8 years and it is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

surball wrote: »
    It is available here for slightly less - https://www.bbqworld.co.uk/weber-barbecues/charcoal/weber-mastertouch-57cm-gbs-slate.asp

They look like a good choice to me. You would have no problem cooking a whole chicken on it. If I was buying another charcoal BBQ it would be Weber.
    Have a gas weber q100 for the past 8 years and it is great.

Thanks.
    They charge £20 for delivery and it works out €260 when its €275 here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

I'm in the states for my holidays and in DC now and went to this place..... https://www.federalistpig.com

I have been educated on BBQ. ...got the feed the Fam selection brisket, ribs chicken and pulled and chopped pork. OMG the missues whose a vegetarian :( came out happy because the sides of crispy brussel sprouts, coleslaw mac& cheese was awesome also. It has got me inspired

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    I'm in the states for my holidays and in DC now and went to this place..... https://www.federalistpig.com

I have been educated on BBQ. ...got the feed the Fam selection brisket, ribs chicken and pulled and chopped pork. OMG the missues whose a vegetarian :( came out happy because the sides of crispy brussel sprouts, coleslaw mac& cheese was awesome also. It has got me inspired

DC has a great food scene. There's a great butchers/deli/restaurant off the Mall called Red Apron.

Not bbq but check out Beucherts by Eastern Market. Also, A Rakes Progress in The Line hotel is amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭dingbat

ECO_Mental wrote: »

Great to hear that your other half was taken care of, and emerged happy. Barbecue takes time, and a supportive partner is essential :)

Halloumi, aubergine/eggplant, courgette, asparagus, potatoes (really slowly baked, or on a skillet with garlic and herbs) are all quite wonderful on the barbecue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

bbari wrote: »

TIA

I bought the Master touch a few years ago and really love it its very versatile.
    One of the reasons I got the master touch was the extra height of the BBQ itself (I'm 6Ft 2) small thing but very handy. Another reason was the hinged grate which makes it easier to add charcoal. The grate itself is good quality.

You can do a full chicken in it, I have done both standing and horizontal.
    275 seems like a sweet deal , I paid 325 for mine at time and thought I was getting a bargain.
    I have since bought the griddle and the cast grill iron insert . I use the griddle way more as its just more versatile ( you can use it for Pizza, flatbreads etc as well) if its included in the deal thats great as its about 50-60 Euro and a great piece of kit. I use indoors regularly.

Overall the master touch is great piece of kit, very solid construction. Mine gets lot of use and its wearing well.
    One thing I would advise is invest in a good oxford type material cover and if your still not sure have a look the irish_bbq_dad on instagram he uses a weber master touch for most of his stuff including the griddle pan

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The father in law managed to get me a 10kg bag of CHARBON DE BOIS RESTAURANT PREMIUM lumpwood charcoal. Anybody any experience with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭joebloggs123

Anyone going to the big grill festival?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭surball

Yep, heading Sunday. Got some nice ideas from last years visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Where is it on ??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

It's in Herbert Park in Ballsbridge. I'm pretty sure Gloomtastic! did the hot wings challenge last year and lived to tell the tale :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,337 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

It's in Herbert Park in Ballsbridge. I'm pretty sure Gloomtastic! did the hot wings challenge last year and lived to tell the tale :D

Never again! Really good food festival though, portions are quite small and not the cheapest but a great atmosphere to sit and chat with anyone and everyone over a few beers. My type of heaven. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

BaZmO* wrote: »
    The father in law managed to get me a 10kg bag of CHARBON DE BOIS RESTAURANT PREMIUM lumpwood charcoal. Anybody any experience with this?

Not that particular brand, but I have used “restaurant” charcoal in the past and don’t like it. The chunks are absolutely massive and didn’t work well for me. Hard to light, hard to keep lit. Smashed the rest up into normal size pieces and it worked fine, but wouldn’t buy again. Yours may differ though

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

Going to Big Grill tomorrow.

Any tips on best pits or events ?
    Easy enough to get around and see everything?

Thanks,
    F.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yeah it is quite compact so easy to get around all the stalls. Word of warning though, we went 2 years back on the Friday and by 7.30pm a good few of the stalls had sold out of dishes. Not all of them or anything but the more popular ones and as its BBQ with long cook times they couldnt exactly put more food on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭blue note

I say this knowing I'm going to be lambasted for it, but I was disappointed with how grill focused this was. I was hoping for more slow cooking stuff - pork shoulder, brisket, whole hog, ribs, etc. But most of it was grilles dishes. Also the cost / value was very poor. I went to th Japanese place for a kebab and was shocked at how little we got for €9. It wasn't great on top of that. We were going to get some deer a while later and didn't after seeing the portion size. Also, I was hoping for a wing place but couldn't find any.

The best thing I had was sea bream with plantain. Cantremember where i got it from. Sorry! Sweet corn from clanbrassil was excellent too. And the selection of beers was fantastic.

It's a decent festival, but if I'd paid to get in I'd have been fairly annoyed. It's like the taste of Dublin, but nowhere near as good. Also, it was supposed to open at 12 and didn't until about half 1. I was there for 12 because it suited me. Taking that long to open was very poor.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,063 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I was very under whelmed last year. Dropped €110 for 2 tickets, 2 beers, 2 coffee's and maybe 4 portions of food. Never again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

beertons wrote: »
    I was very under whelmed last year. Dropped €110 for 2 tickets, 2 beers, 2 coffee's and maybe 4 portions of food. Never again.

Food’s good, but its an absolute and total complete rip off! Was there the last 2 years. Won’t be there this year as I’m broke.. :(

Someone in the market for a kamado BBQ (e.g. Big Green Egg) might be interested to note that with the combination of a good GBP/EUR exchange rate and a new Kamado Joe model being brought out, there are perfectly good KJs being offloaded in the UK at decent oul' prices even when you add on the price of delivery to Ireland (and stupidly good prices if you get it delivered to NI).

Example: old model KJ Classic (18") for £755 incl. VAT http://www.abbeydaledirect.co.uk/clearance/outdoor-clearance/kamado-joe-classic-18/

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭RonTon

dingbat wrote: »
    Someone in the market for a kamado BBQ (e.g. Big Green Egg) might be interested to note that with the combination of a good GBP/EUR exchange rate and a new Kamado Joe model being brought out, there are perfectly good KJs being offloaded in the UK at decent oul' prices even when you add on the price of delivery to Ireland (and stupidly good prices if you get it delivered to NI).

Example: old model KJ Classic (18") for £755 incl. VAT http://www.abbeydaledirect.co.uk/clearance/outdoor-clearance/kamado-joe-classic-18/

Thanks for that link ...I’m very tempted,been looking for awhile

RonTon wrote: »
    Thanks for that link ...I’m very tempted,been looking for awhile
    No problem. It's a fantastic price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

hey, anyone know if you can just buy closed cans or bottles in The Big Grill to go? Have free tokens but cant stay around drinking...cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,337 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

gaz wac wrote: »
    hey, anyone know if you can just buy closed cans or bottles in The Big Grill to go? Have free tokens but cant stay around drinking...cheers

Seem to remember it was just plastic glasses. If you can’t, try selling the tokens for 50% of their value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

thanks...yea might do.

Advertisement