Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

neris wrote: »
    yeah but all those "€99" become a good few cooking units which get very hard to hide when spotted coming in to the house. Im already up to 3 with a 4th on the way and 5th by the weekend + all accessories & extras stashed in the shed

As long as you’re only using one at a time you’ll be grand! She won’t notice! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,040 ✭✭✭✭neris

So new ProQ arrived this morning but won't get a chance to use till weekend. Going to give it a seasoning this evening and mess with temps. 1st impressions out of the box are it look goods and nice amount of space on it. Like the latches on the side for tightening the sections together and the lid but will be interesting to see if they leak when cooking. The metal feels a little lighter compared to a Weber and the water pan sits very close under the bottom grate. The doors are about 4.5 inches wide do ok for a few chunks or lumps of coal to be added. Im not a tree hugging green but it came factory packed with a ridiculous amount of packaging & styrofoam. I Also picked up an injector so will be using that to inject a pork shoulder which isn't something I've done before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

The seams and doors will leak a bit, but nothing major. Keep it sheltered from strong winds so temps dont drop too much. I do nearly all my cooking inside the garage so weather doesn't really affect me.

If its the ProQ injector, i found you have to strain any injections you make as the solids clog the exit holes in the needle.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

When you order 4 racks of Spare ribs from the butchers and they deliver 4 individual belly ribs :mad::mad::mad::(:(:(

20190301-094540.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I had something similar happen a couple of weeks ago. I was in the butchers where I normally get my racks. They normally have them on display, but didn't this time. I was always get full racks and cut them up myself.

Anyway, the new butcher said he'd get some and cut them up for me. Rather than stand there waiting I said I'd pop into the shop next door and come back about 10mins later. It wasn't until I got home and opened that I realised he'd given me a load of cut belly ribs? Lots of fat and only some had bones.

I still cooked them but they weren't the same.

What's really annoying is that he knew what I wanted them for.

I like belly and wouldnt have mined if they had at least given me 4 racks of belly but I just had to laugh at that when i saw it. Went up myself this morning and got what I wanted. I,ll try those belly pieces in the same rub as the spare ribs but I think theyll be done a lot quicker been smaller sizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

Recipe for amazing ribs:

Edit - I am using the offset cooking method for this, charcoal on the bottom on one side and ribs on the top on the opposite side NOT directly above the charcoal. I also build a tinfoil wall inside the barbecue to reduce the direct heat coming from the coals for the meat which is placed closest to the coals.

Step 1: remove silverskin stuff off the back of the ribs, it's difficult, but gross and papery when cooked.

Step 2: Season both front and back of ribs with preferred dry rub mix. I used Spice N Tice (https://www.spicentice.com/collections/rubs) BBQ rub, it works amazing on barbecued pork of any variety.

Step 3: (I'm using a Weber charocal kettle BBQ) Manage the heat to around 160c, add wood chunks or soaked wood chips, place ribs and smoke for about an hour, to an hour and a half. This is where we really colour the ribs and get the external texture.

Step 4: Remove ribs and wrap in tinfoil and replace in barbecue. This steams the ribs and keeps them juicy.

Optional step: for extra juice, pour some beer / stock / juice / spiced water on the ribs inside the foil and wrap them up tightly. This step is not necessary but gives very juicy ribs.

Step 5: When the ribs have cooked for an appropriate amount of time, say 4 hours, the meat has receded from the bones a little and the meat is tender, remove the ribs from the foil and put whatever your preferred barbecue sauce is. I use cattlemans, missippi barbecue or the sauce they sell in Bison in town. All are very sweet which is my own personal preference.

Place them back in the barbecue for a minute or three to allow the sauce to set, then remove and serve.

Bingo, delicious, juicy, seasoned sweet american style ribs.

Final recommendation: Check out the barbecue pit boys on youtube, it's a barbecue cooking show. Not all of the stuff they cook is good, but a lot is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I use the 3-2-1 method smoking short ribs. 3 hrs uncovered, 2 hrs covered, 1 hr uncovered. Maybe 2-1-1 for racks. But I smoke them at 120c so takes a little longer.

Regarding rubs and BBQ sauces, I would highly recommend making your own. BBQ sauce is the easiest thing to make. Just need a base of ketchup (cheapo Tesco own brand works), sugar and vinegar. Then add what you want after that. Apple/pineapple juice is lovely for ribs but you can go with heavy flavours like chipotle and bourbon too.

Last batch I made was something like this: 1L ketchup, 2 tablespoons chipotles in adobo, 100ml cider vinegar, 50ml honey, 100mg brown sugar, 60ml bourbon, 2 teaspoons of smoked paprika and then a large teaspoon each of cumin, onion, mustard and garlic powder, coriander, salt, pepper and a couple of teaspoons of liquid smoke. Chuck into a pot, boil and simmer for 20 mins. Last for ages too because of the vinegar.

A good dry rub is basically the dry ingredients above. Sugar very important. But its great fun experimenting.

Did something similar to this last week. Homemade corn tortillas too. Also very easy and I cant recommend them enough.

http://howtobbqright.com/blog/?p=2766

2isjeci.jpg
    t0j4nq.jpg
    33y46f8.jpg

You could just pull the bone clean out of the meat, that looks beautiful :)

Give my method a try, and I will attempt yours next BBQ, see what ye think. Lovely rack of ribs in about 4 hours is pretty nice.

Last BBQ I ran, I had the racks, plus a half leg of lamb cooking for the initial stage, but had a lot of guests, so when I wrapped them I finished them in the oven (I know it's cheating:( ) to free up the barbecuse for other stuff we were cooking.

I'll get some pics to upload of some different cooks later.

• Advertisement

I made this up yesterday for use tomorrow on pork shoulder and some ribs. Though my plan is to use rub 1st and then sauce this stuff after 3 or 4 hours. Smells like hot dog mustard with extras

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/barbecue-sauce-recipes/columbia-gold-south-carolina-mustard-bbq-sauce-recipe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Hi All, possibly might invest in a ceramic grill for the summer. I only want a small one so i have seen the Kamado Joe Jnr. They're quite expensive, i'm wondering can anyone suggest some alternatives?

I have the large version of this and it's class, they deliver to Ireland too.
    https://www.greenhousepeople.co.uk/products/7768/mini-kamado-free-standing/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Shemale wrote: »
    Hi All, possibly might invest in a ceramic grill for the summer. I only want a small one so i have seen the Kamado Joe Jnr. They're quite expensive, i'm wondering can anyone suggest some alternatives?

They look good ! I was thinking of getting a Kamdo Joe but they are V expensive. But these are very reasonable. Might get one of the bigger fellas

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Shemale wrote: »

They look good ! I was thinking of getting a Kamdo Joe but they are V expensive. But these are very reasonable. Might get one of the bigger fellas

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

ECO_Mental wrote: »

This one is savage value and has all the extras https://www.greenhousepeople.co.uk/products/8906/18-inch-kamado-with-cart-clearance/

Mine came pallet delivery within 48 hours, cost was quite reasonable given it's the guts of 100kg, Greenhouse People arranged it for me. Think it was around €150.

New smokers working away in the garden today but my Weber was in need of emergency surgery. The welds on the leg fittings had rusted away on 2 legs and one had already fallen off. Nuts, bolts and a few washers and nearly perfect again.

20190302-133138.jpg

20190302-140631.jpg

20190302-143155.jpg

20190302-145822.jpg

So I used my new ProQ smoker today for the 1st cook. Pork shoulder, 4 sheets of spare ribs and 4 individual belly ribs.

Pros
    Good smoker, holds the heat very well even with a bit of leakage around where the sections join. Got 6 hours out of the 1st load of coals I had on. The 2 racks can hold a good amount of food. Got 4 sheets on 1 rack. Really good size waterpan

Cons
    The doors are a bit on the small side so access to the waterpan and coals is akward. The 2 tier rack makes it awkward to get at the meat on bottom and trying to lift the top rack with stuff on it doesnt help. The water pan while a really good size sits right above the coals so evaporates very quickly

Over all 1 cook down Im very happy with it and think i will it use for smoking more then the weber kettle or the offset smoker i have

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭galwayllm

Not sure if I'm posting on the right forum, but what would you all recommend as the best BBQ sauce or BBQ sauce recipe.

Thanks so much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

My BBQ sauce is a mug or so of ketchup, a few teaspoons of worcestor sauce, a squirt of garlic paste, half a chopped onion, a squirt of hot pepper sauce and two teaspoons of Liquid Smoke (smoked paprika would probably do nicely as well). Cook in a pot for about 10-15 minutes on a low-med heat. You could blend it all at the end or leave it a bit chunky.

Sorry for the imprecise measurements. It doesn't seem to make a huge difference. Those flavours are all so strong that you can handle it a bit roughly.

Just had it this evening on some ribs - Yum!!

Incidentally, I tried steaming ribs for the first time ever. Worked out really well. They stay moist and are very tender. Steamed for 2.5 hours and then finished them off on the BBQ with some of the BBQ sauce on them for the last few minutes. I'm so full right now!!

galwayllm wrote: »
    Not sure if I'm posting on the right forum, but what would you all recommend as the best BBQ sauce or BBQ sauce recipe.

Thanks so much

liamo wrote: »
    My BBQ sauce is a mug or so of ketchup, a few teaspoons of worcestor sauce, a squirt of garlic paste, half a chopped onion, a squirt of hot pepper sauce and two teaspoons of Liquid Smoke (smoked paprika would probably do nicely as well). Cook in a pot for about 10-15 minutes on a low-med heat. You could blend it all at the end or leave it a bit chunky.

Sorry for the imprecise measurements. It doesn't seem to make a huge difference. Those flavours are all so strong that you can handle it a bit roughly.

Just had it this evening on some ribs - Yum!!

Incidentally, I tried steaming ribs for the first time ever. Worked out really well. They stay moist and are very tender. Steamed for 2.5 hours and then finished them off on the BBQ with some of the BBQ sauce on them for the last few minutes. I'm so full right now!!

Thanks you so so much! And I'll give it a try!

Btw where can I get the liquid smoke?? It's something I've been looking for.

• Advertisement

Amazingribs.com has some good recipes for making your own sauce. Fairly simple recipes that cover the American styles if that's something your interested in

Amazingribs.com has some good recipes for making your own sauce. Fairly simple recipes that cover the American styles if that's something your interested in

Omg yes this is something I'm very into! Thanks!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭surball

+1 on amazing ribs. I actually made Alabama white sauce from it this evening. Very nice and very different on chicken.

The Kansas City sauce is good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

I looked for it but was unable to find it anywhere so I bought it on Amazon when I was buying some rubs.

galwayllm wrote: »
    Thanks you so so much! And I'll give it a try!

Btw where can I get the liquid smoke?? It's something I've been looking for.

New Weber kettle for 2019.

So I used my new ProQ smoker today for the 1st cook. Pork shoulder, 4 sheets of spare ribs and 4 individual belly ribs.

Pros
    Good smoker, holds the heat very well even with a bit of leakage around where the sections join. Got 6 hours out of the 1st load of coals I had on. The 2 racks can hold a good amount of food. Got 4 sheets on 1 rack. Really good size waterpan

Over all 1 cook down Im very happy with it and think i will it use for smoking more then the weber kettle or the offset smoker i have

Hey dude, where did you get your pro Q and how much was it? Am interested in one!

jim o doom wrote: »
    Hey dude, where did you get your pro Q and how much was it? Am interested in one!

Got the one in the link below from that place. They're down in limerick so next day delivery. The one I got was a bundle for €465. Smoker, covert & 12kg of lump wood. That's the biggest one they have but they have smaller ones aswell that are cheaper

https://www.aroomoutside.ie/bbq-smoker-grills/pro-q-excel-bundle.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

surball wrote: »
    +1 on amazing ribs. I actually made Alabama white sauce from it this evening. Very nice and very different on chicken.

The Kansas City sauce is good too.

There's a bbq restaurant in Dublin called Pitt Bros that has three condiments on each table - two bbq type sauces (one hotter than the other) and a white sauce that I always wondered what it was. I wonder could it be something like this...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭budgemook

There's a bbq restaurant in Dublin called Pitt Bros that has three condiments on each table - two bbq type sauces (one hotter than the other) and a white sauce that I always wondered what it was. I wonder could it be something like this...

Think it is yeah. The square ball is another BBQ place and they definitely serve Alabama white BBQ sauce.

• Advertisement

Sticking with amazingribs.com the guy who runs that site has really good book thats worth having. Its a good list of recipes for various meats, rubs and sauces and also the science behind bbq/smoking on the various bbqs/grills & smokers

https://www.bookdepository.com/Meathead-Meathead-Goldwyn/9780544018464?ref=grid-view&qid=1551962447002&sr=1-1

9780544018464.jpg

Advertisement