Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭blue note

neris wrote: »
    A landmann they have in homebase. I dont want to spend a fortune on another bbq for the moment and would like to get a bit more practice in.

Make sure to post up how you get on with it! I'm looking for a back garden first, but once I've that sorted the bbq is next on the list. I'm wondering if the €900 one is worth it or if the €200 ones are actually very good.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭fitz

A landmann they have in homebase. I dont want to spend a fortune on another bbq for the moment and would like to get a bit more practice in

Ive never seen chunks in any of the places I buy bbq stuff in (woodies, B&Q, homebase & local diy stores) but would love to get my hands on some. Wood chips I got before recommended soaking and i did try ones unsoaked before which just burned very quickly so Ive always soaked but maybe with a better quality chip they will work better. Ive a bag of Webber Hickory chips aswell I,ll try next. I might try put the rest of the ribs in the oven this evening and see does that do any thing for them.

I get chunks in the orchard, Celbridge, but that sausagehut link looks like it's worth a punt.

To start off with as you're getting in to smoking, I'd recommend pork ribs. That's a reliable 5 or six hour cook. It'll get you used to fire control, and then move on to longer cooks. Beef ribs are a tough place to start, not forgiving.

First things first though... Get a remote thermometer... You can't expect to get good results if you don't know what's going on with your temperatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

picachu wrote: »
    New bbq... Been waiting on this a while

We've just installed one of these in our patio as well

• Registered Users Posts: 20,041 ✭✭✭✭neris

fitz wrote: »
    I get chunks in the orchard, Celbridge, but that sausagehut link looks like it's worth a punt.

To start off with as you're getting in to smoking, I'd recommend pork ribs. That's a reliable 5 or six hour cook. It'll get you used to fire control, and then move on to longer cooks. Beef ribs are a tough place to start, not forgiving.

First things first though... Get a remote thermometer... You can't expect to get good results if you don't know what's going on with your temperatures.

I actually did pork ribs (not belly ribs) about 2 weeks ago and they turned out good. I dont normally like those pork ribs as i find them unmeaty but ended up taking them from the butcher as they didnt have what i wanted. Had 3 racks and then people called over while inside getting sides ready and when i went out all the ribs were gone. The one thing i didnt do with them and only discovred after was to remove the membrane on the boney side.

Im determined to do beef ribs ive been messing about with them for a while now but not very often

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,063 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I bought wood chunks off this place, they deliver too : https://sausagehut.ie/index.php?route=product/category&path=33_70

I wish I didn't click that link. I just bought loads of stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

A landmann they have in homebase. I dont want to spend a fortune on another bbq for the moment and would like to get a bit more practice in

Ive never seen chunks in any of the places I buy bbq stuff in (woodies, B&Q, homebase & local diy stores) but would love to get my hands on some. Wood chips I got before recommended soaking and i did try ones unsoaked before which just burned very quickly so Ive always soaked but maybe with a better quality chip they will work better. Ive a bag of Webber Hickory chips aswell I,ll try next. I might try put the rest of the ribs in the oven this evening and see does that do any thing for them.

Newlands garden centre in clondalkin do the webee chunks. You can buy from their online store!if you’re not nearby.

Fecked those left over beef ribs from last night in the oven tonight. 1 hour on a rack over some water then another hour in tin foil. Let sit for 45 minutes and they still had lovely Smokey flavour but had rendered beautifully. Very tasty and moist. Even got the young fella asking what they were and how they were cooked and when would I cook the other 2 racks in the fridge

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭padraig.od

Where you all getting your charcoal?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭budgemook

padraig.od wrote: »
    Where you all getting your charcoal?

Currently sitting in a car park waiting on a fella to deliver me two bags of Quebracho!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Can anyone recommend a decent charcoal that lasts a decent amount of time? Most charcoal I’ve used over the years goes cold relatively quickly

• Advertisement

theres a webber charcoal in woodies that seems to last ages. i got 2 bags and only used a bit the other night and was still going 4 hours later

theres a webber charcoal in woodies that seems to last ages. i got 2 bags and only used a bit the other night and was still going 4 hours later

Is that the briquettes or the lumpwood? I wasn't gone on the Weber lumpwood but it's definitely better than the other stuff they and most others sell.

I find that the best charcoal is sold by good firewood sellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭davegilly

The Weber Briquettes last an extremely long time and there is absolutely crazy heat from them. I would usually use restaurant lumpwood which also gets incredibly hot but doesn't last anywhere near as long.

Quick cooks or up to 1 hour or of heat required I would use lumpwood.

Anything else the briquettes are the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I think I will go down the asado route next year. I cooked on one a few times when staying at a hostel in Argentina during a ski season there. You should check out this French company who make and ship them.
    https://www.monsieur-bbq.com/collections/bbq-equipment

I absolutely loved the Sunday BBQs in Argentina, they would start around 3pm and finish about 9pm after a good six or seven courses of meat, it was pure glutony :D

Just what I was looking for, thanks for that link, seems reasonable as well. Only to get them to Ireland..

South African Braai's are similar you can get these in the uk and include a chimney which could be better for an urban location to keep the neighbours somewhat happy.

https://thebraaiman.com/1200-braai/

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

budgemook wrote: »
    Is that the briquettes or the lumpwood? I wasn't gone on the Weber lumpwood but it's definitely better than the other stuff they and most others sell.

I find that the best charcoal is sold by good firewood sellers.

Briquettes.

Briquettes.

Good to hear they're stocking that now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

davegilly wrote: »
    The Weber Briquettes last an extremely long time and there is absolutely crazy heat from them. I would usually use restaurant lumpwood which also gets incredibly hot but doesn't last anywhere near as long.

Quick cooks or up to 1 hour or of heat required I would use lumpwood.

Anything else the briquettes are the way to go.

Weber briquettes are the absolute business for low and slow cooking. On my smokey mountain they’ll hold temp for abou 12 hours.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Bought a Landmann offset smoker in homebase on Friday and used it very unsuccessfully yesterday. had a big problem getting the temp in the main part up above 100 degrees even though the fire box was hot as hell for hours. However I think I may have discovered part of the problem. the main section doubles up as a regular bbq with a coal shelf which i never took out and this sits at about half the height of the hole between the fire box and main section so the heat wasnt rising up into but getting trapped under the coal shelf, a very frustrating experience

Bought a Landmann offset smoker in homebase on Friday and used it very unsuccessfully yesterday. had a big problem getting the temp in the main part up above 100 degrees even though the fire box was hot as hell for hours. However I think I may have discovered part of the problem. the main section doubles up as a regular bbq with a coal shelf which i never took out and this sits at about half the height of the hole between the fire box and main section so the heat wasnt rising up into but getting trapped under the coal shelf, a very frustrating experience

The main problem with them is usually a poor seal on the door whic results in fluctuating temps. There’s a few online modificcatoons which you can do if you’re handy enough

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭joebloggs123

Going to do a roast on the Bbq (weber kettle) this weekend. Any tips would be appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,337 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Going to do a roast on the Bbq (weber kettle) this weekend. Any tips would be appreciated

Beer can chicken (great but I still haven’t figured out a good way to get the red hot can out of the chicken’s butt!)
    https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/chicken-recipes/beer-butt-chicken/
    Butterflied Leg of Lamb
    https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/lamb-recipes/butterflied-leg-of-lamb-with-mexican-style-marinade/

Roast fore rib of beef smoked with a small amount of oak wood. Cook it at 180c for 20 minutes per pound of meat plus 20 minutes. Sons 3lb cut would be 80 mins. Rest for at least 20 mins.

That’s for a medium rare roast. Or you can cook it at the same temperature until it hits whatever internal temp you want if you have a meat thermometer. As I write this, that’s probably your best best.

Whatever you do, don’t use too much smoking wood. One handful of chips or a single chunk will do.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭joebloggs123

Thanks for the advice. What about fuel, lump wood or briquettes or does it matter? Was thinking briquettes might give me a more consistent temp.

Thanks for the advice. What about fuel, lump wood or briquettes or does it matter? Was thinking briquettes might give me a more consistent temp.

Always briquettes for indirect cooking. Lumpwood for direct grilling.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

Does anyone know a place in Dublin city where I could get wood chunks?
    I'd rather get op on Saturday and light the BBQ than faffing about in a retail park with the bank holiday weekend DIY folk.

Does anyone know a place in Dublin city where I could get wood chunks?
    I'd rather get op on Saturday and light the BBQ than faffing about in a retail park with the bank holiday weekend DIY folk.

Newlands garden centre in Clondalkin. I’m sure theres plenty of other places though

Yeah, I meant city centre that I could pick up on my lunch break. Not many garden centres or large hardwares between the canals.

Yeah, I meant city centre that I could pick up on my lunch break. Not many garden centres or large hardwares between the canals.

I can't think of anywhere anyway. Maybe just buy online?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭blue note

How's the offset going now neris? I love the look of them, but can't ignore the thought that since the box is on the side and surely roasting hot then you're losing huge amounts of heat. Whereas with the WSM you don't have that problem.

But I love the look of them and think they look like incredible fun. Did you spend much on it? I'm thinking they require at least a few hundred investment to get one thick enough to be effective.

• Advertisement

Ain't no chunks in the heart of the city.
    I got a bag of wood chips in TKMAXX though, can you use them on a charcoal grill with the snake method? I've only ever seen them used on gas grills?

Advertisement