Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭budgemook

Debub wrote: »
    Anyone know where to get a good price for the Weber Mastertouch 57?
    Saw it for €285 yesterday on Orchard and it now shows for €275 and also says FREE DELIVERY on the website, but when I rang them to reconfirm - a woman on the phone said that its €65 for a delivery to West Cork. Also its advertised as coming with a free starter kit - but doesn't show up when I do the order.
    Anyone has any previous dealings with them?
    Thanks

When I was looking for one recently (didn't get one in the end) these guys were the best I found. I think there were 2 free accessories and a book? I was talking to them on the chat via the website and they confirmed that everything was included.

Made some short ribs at the weekend for the first time, a full plate from the butcher cost me 15 euro. Pretty simple rub of black pepper, salt, cayenne, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika and some coffee and smoked it with a couple of chunks of oak in the charcoal for around 7 hours at 250 - 275. One piece of it, maybe 1/4 of the cut, stalled at 180 for about 90 minutes while the rest was cooked to perfection. I ended up taking it off while the thickest bit was at around 195 and has a little resistance when probing so as not to ruin the good bits but after resting in the cooler for a while all of the meat was good. I'm not sure what the right to do is when a large part of the meat is just right and one bit is holding the whole thing up but everything worked out fine. It was really delicious for Sunday lunch served with chimmichurri - I was very happy with the bark in particular.

NVVdkIll.jpg

Pc3vMUQl.jpg

aouKznfl.jpg

Those ribs look awesome. Anyone know where to get decent short ribs in Dublin? Either city centre or D5 area would be perfect.

Those ribs look awesome. Anyone know where to get decent short ribs in Dublin? Either city centre or D5 area would be perfect.

Thanks. I'm out of Dublin for a few months but I have found that most butchers will order them in for you if they don't have them.

Edit - Fallon and Byrne always have them. The ones on display are already cut though.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Debub

Hi - what would the experts here recommend?
    Apple / Mesquite / Cherry or Hickory for smoking in the Weber MasterTouch please? and are Chunks preferable over Chips for smoking?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,027 ✭✭✭fitz

Apple / Mesquite / Cherry or Hickory for smoking in the Weber MasterTouch please? and are Chunks preferable over Chips for smoking?

Chunks, definitely.
    I'm fond of cherry wood... Great with pork and beef.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,081 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Anyone know where to get a good price for the Weber Mastertouch 57?
    Saw it for €285 yesterday on Orchard and it now shows for €275 and also says FREE DELIVERY on the website, but when I rang them to reconfirm - a woman on the phone said that its €65 for a delivery to West Cork. Also its advertised as coming with a free starter kit - but doesn't show up when I do the order.
    Anyone has any previous dealings with them?
    Thanks

Try Johnstown garden center or the outdoor scene.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Cherry for poultry. Apple or Hickory for pork. Oak for beef.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭brevity

Anyone try one of these -Ventilated Charcoal Barbecue?

https://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/www_lidl_ie_3x/hs.xsl/productPageFinder.xml?listId=412&articleId=9459&type=offerdatelist&rdeLocaleAttr=en&productId=9459&countryCode=IE

Small enough but seems quick to get going...

This is a video of something similar:
    https://youtu.be/LoSJtmCPWls

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

Stuck 2 beef cheeks on the WSM today. 2 hours with dry rub, 2 in a tray with liquid and then another 2 in the oven wrapped in foil.
    Both had similar internal temps (210F/99C) by the end.

First was almost perfect......didn't pull, sliced like butter though and tasted awesome. Second one was very tough....slices didn't tear apart at all, had the texture of carvery roast beef.

Any thoughts? Second one didn't seem to have much collagen in it or could it have been overcooked even though they were side by side the whole time?

F.

Thanks for the replies guys, took delivery yesterday for the Weber 57 MasterTouch GBS total e275 including a starter set (chimney, 2 kg briquettes and 6 firelighters). Seemed like a pretty good deal - and if it wasn’t please don’t tell me. They agreed that delivery was free and I was misinformed by whoever I spoke to on the phone about the e65 charge. Bought a 1.5 kg bag of Apple as well, chunks to start with. The only think left now to buy I think are the probes. Lots of BBQ stuff in LIDL at the moment as well including probes, are they any good (to start off with) - any idea? I tried uploading the pics I took, nothing happened... unfortunately moving house at the moment so can’t fire it up straight away - but soon. Any suggestions of starting a new one ?

• Advertisement

Pics of the LIDL probes

Pics of the LIDL probes

16 euro or so? Was going to get them last time but opted for thermo pro.

I'd say it's worth a try!

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭thereitisgone

Brisket, pretty quick cook less than 6 hours
    attachment.php?attachmentid=451736

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭FCB1899

6hr cook on WSM today. Turkey legs which were pulled and served with Alabama sauce + 3 x Jacobs ladder beef ribs. Smoked with Hickory. When the Turkey legs came off I threw a dozen chicken wings on to use up the heat of the briquettes. Great flavours

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭MonsterMob

Hi all, building an Ugly Drum Smoker over the weekend, any one have any idea where I could pick up some BBQ grill racks? Obviously I don't want to break the bank and get some expense ones, looking at 18inch circular ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭kod12

Looking to get my first charcoal BBQ this week any recommendations I see BK and Komodo Joe mentioned a lot any good deals or is there similar for a budget. Many thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

5 Hour ribs on the wsm!

Seems like a good deal - LIDL

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

MonsterMob wrote: »
    Hi all, building an Ugly Drum Smoker over the weekend, any one have any idea where I could pick up some BBQ grill racks? Obviously I don't want to break the bank and get some expense ones, looking at 18inch circular ones?

I got them in Homebase when I built my one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭fourmations

ditto

they were only about 7€ i think
    not the sturdiest and not quite full diameter but do the job nicely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭MonsterMob

ditto

they were only about 7€ i think
    not the sturdiest and not quite full diameter but do the job nicely
    Thanks both! Did you manage to get a decent thermometer from the front of it too (i'm on the look out for one of those if you know where either!?)or did you guys use a probe one?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭joebloggs123

Cooked chicken breasts on the bbq last night and checked the temperature but it never reached 77. Think the highest was 71 but it was completely cooked, in fact overcooked by the time I took it off. Any suggestions as to what might have been wrong or what techniques I should use?

Thanks

Cooked chicken breasts on the bbq last night and checked the temperature but it never reached 77. Think the highest was 71 but it was completely cooked, in fact overcooked by the time I took it off. Any suggestions as to what might have been wrong or what techniques I should use?

Thanks

77 will be safe as soon as it's 77. But holding the temp at 71 for a while has the same effect.

MonsterMob wrote: »
    Thanks both! Did you manage to get a decent thermometer from the front of it too (i'm on the look out for one of those if you know where either!?)or did you guys use a probe one?

I got a Thermopro, one probe for the food and one for the grill and a Bluetooth receiver so I can monitor everything from the comfort of my couch.

77 will be safe as soon as it's 77. But holding the temp at 71 for a while has the same effect.

Have always done chicken to 70 and leave it sit for a little while. Thought 70 was considered safe tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭SVI40

Here is the US Guidelines on food temperatures:

Chicken & Turkey With 12% Fat
    136°F (57.8°C) 82 minutes
    140 (60.0) 35 minutes
    145 (62.8) 14 minutes
    150 (65.6) 5 minutes
    152 (66.7) 3 minutes
    154 (67.8) 2 minutes
    156 (68.9) 1 minutes
    158 (70.0) 41 seconds
    160 (71.1) 27 seconds
    162 (72.2) 18 seconds
    164 (73.3) 12 seconds
    166 (74.4) 0 seconds

Beef, Lamb, & Pork
    130 (54.4) 121 minutes
    135 (57.2) 37 minutes
    140 (60.0) 12 minutes
    145 (62.8) 4 minutes
    150 (65.6) 72 seconds
    155 (68.3) 23 seconds
    158 (70.0) 0 seconds

Beef, Pork, Veal & Lamb
    Steaks, chops, roasts 145 °F (62.8 °C) and allow to rest for at least 3 minutes
    Ground meats 160 °F (71.1 °C)
    Ham, fresh or smoked (uncooked) 145 °F (62.8 °C) and allow to rest for at least 3 minutes
    Fully Cooked Ham
    (to reheat) Reheat cooked hams packaged in USDA-inspected plants to 140 °F (60 °C) and all others to 165 °F (73.9 °C).

Product Minimum Internal Temperature
    All Poultry (breasts, whole bird, legs, thighs, and wings, ground poultry, and stuffing) 165 °F (73.9 °C)
    Eggs 160 °F (71.1 °C)
    Fish & Shellfish 145 °F (62.8 °C)
    Leftovers 165 °F (73.9 °C)
    Casseroles 165 °F (73.9 °C)

SVI40 wrote: »
    Here is the US Guidelines on food temperatures:

Chicken & Turkey With 12% Fat
    136°F (57.8°C) 82 minutes
    140 (60.0) 35 minutes
    145 (62.8) 14 minutes
    150 (65.6) 5 minutes
    152 (66.7) 3 minutes
    154 (67.8) 2 minutes
    156 (68.9) 1 minutes
    158 (70.0) 41 seconds
    160 (71.1) 27 seconds
    162 (72.2) 18 seconds
    164 (73.3) 12 seconds
    166 (74.4) 0 seconds

Beef, Lamb, & Pork
    130 (54.4) 121 minutes
    135 (57.2) 37 minutes
    140 (60.0) 12 minutes
    145 (62.8) 4 minutes
    150 (65.6) 72 seconds
    155 (68.3) 23 seconds
    158 (70.0) 0 seconds

Beef, Pork, Veal & Lamb
    Steaks, chops, roasts 145 °F (62.8 °C) and allow to rest for at least 3 minutes
    Ground meats 160 °F (71.1 °C)
    Ham, fresh or smoked (uncooked) 145 °F (62.8 °C) and allow to rest for at least 3 minutes
    Fully Cooked Ham
    (to reheat) Reheat cooked hams packaged in USDA-inspected plants to 140 °F (60 °C) and all others to 165 °F (73.9 °C).

Product Minimum Internal Temperature
    All Poultry (breasts, whole bird, legs, thighs, and wings, ground poultry, and stuffing) 165 °F (73.9 °C)
    Eggs 160 °F (71.1 °C)
    Fish & Shellfish 145 °F (62.8 °C)
    Leftovers 165 °F (73.9 °C)
    Casseroles 165 °F (73.9 °C)

That's what I meant to say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭dylbert

Anybody used the charcoal briquettes Aldi are stocking at the moment? are the any good?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

dylbert wrote: »
    Anybody used the charcoal briquettes Aldi are stocking at the moment? are the any good?

I bought some last week - They were awful , took forever to get going and never really got truly hot and burned up really fast too.

The Tesco ones weren't much better either.

I need to re-stock on proper lump-wood ones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

dylbert wrote: »

Terrible. Smoked like crazy too so you’d probably poison yourself if they were used in a smoker or for long indirect cooks on kettle.

Its worth the extra fiver on the Weber briquettes.

Advertisement