Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Well wear!

- Where and what type of charcoal should I buy (Dublin based)?

Woodies, Homebase, etc will all have bags of charcoal of varying quality, but not the most reliable and you can walk out the door with awful charcoal. Make sure it's not instant light. A Room Outside and All AlFresco are Irish and can deliver, the latter is based out in Glasthule. They've a selection of Weber and Big Green Egg charcoal in lump and briqette, both of which are solid. My preference is the Brazillian shops around town - A bag of pretty good quality lumpwood charcoal comes in around 7 quid.

If you can, get a chimney starter, it'll make everything much much easier.

- I mostly plan to do fast cooking food (burgers, fish, chicken) but I do eventually plan to do smoking so is a Slow n Sear worth getting?

You don't really need to buy anything extra to start smoking, so do some research and play around with it before you go investing in anything.

- what websites do you use for recipe ideas?

AmazingRibs is my favorite. The Virtual Weber Smokey Mountain site is good too, and I've a collection of BBQ books, would definitely recommend Franklins, Meathead (Which is basically the AmazingRibs website in a book), the Pitt Cue Co book and Praise The Lard. The Meathead book covers both grilling (fast and hot) as well as smoking.

- where do you buy your rubs/marinades etc?

Online or in shops when I'm passing through the US, the ones here in Ireland aren't great. All of the books above have great rubs that I've started using and changed around to suit my palet. They're going to be as good or better than commerical rubs and marinades.

- any other tips appreciated? I'm a good cook indoors but a bit of a novice outdoors as we used gas grills growing up.

Lots of patience. Look up the two zone cooking methods, even for fast cooking. Don't get overly bogged down in which wood to use for flavour, stick to one and learn how to get a solid cook before playing around. Buy a decent pair of pit mitts. If you're a handy cook indoors, treat the smoker like a slow cooker with an added flavour - Apart from having a fire to maintain, there's not much difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭budgemook

Welcome aboard. There is solid advice in the previous post! Quick beginner tip from me - I found the Hang Fire cookbook to be very educational in terms of setting up your grill for different types of cooking and it has some great recipes too. I wouldn’t necessarily say to buy it as it’s not a bible type book or anything but go reserve it in your local library, they definitely have this book and you can get it sent to your nearest library if you request it.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Buyingcar2012

Cheers for the lengthy response!

I got a chimney starter already and a mitt. I have a lamb shoulder in the freezer so might try out that for smoking. I've been on the amazing ribs website already and it's really good. They are on YouTube as well.

I have small kids so won't try anything too complex as their taste buds are a bit basic and I don't think I'll have the time to mind a long smoke (I might get a dual probe thermometer though).

Need to get the charcoal first though.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭SVI40

I have 2 Slow n Sears, the standard and the XL. I cannot recommend them enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭tmh106

Hi everyone.

Woodies have this Weber© Q© 2200 Grill With Stand Gas Bbq for €299 (reduced from €499 as part of their Woodies 30 promotion).

This would be my first BBQ, and I've no real knowledge of BBQ models/makes other than I gather from reading this thread that Weber are expensive but good. Would this be a good BBQ to go for, especially for someone just starting out on the BBQ road? I'll mainly be cooking for two for someone mainly but occasionally for four or maybe even six? Is this a good price for this BBQ?

This is gas, I initially favoured charcoal but my wife likes the convenience of gas.

Thanks in advance for any advice of suggestions.

PS In Irish Times Saturday's Home&Design supplement there is a list, on page 3, of various BBQ and outdoor cookers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

tmh106 wrote: »
    Hi everyone.

Woodies have this Weber© Q© 2200 Grill With Stand Gas Bbq for €299 (reduced from €499 as part of their Woodies 30 promotion).

This would be my first BBQ, and I've no real knowledge of BBQ models/makes other than I gather from reading this thread that Weber are expensive but good. Would this be a good BBQ to go for, especially for someone just starting out on the BBQ road? I'll mainly be cooking for two for someone mainly but occasionally for four or maybe even six? Is this a good price for this BBQ?

This is gas, I initially favoured charcoal but my wife likes the convenience of gas.

PS In Irish Times Saturday's Home&Design supplement there is a list, on page 3, of various BBQ and outdoor cookers.

This is an absolute steal. I have one for the last maybe 7 years. Keep it outside year round but use the cover sitting winter only.
    I also have the large homstore more and a big Green egg but this is my go to and I use it maybe 2-3 times per week year round.
    Rock solid piece of equipment. I'd honest but another but the one out have will last forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭joebloggs123

I've recently bought a Weber Kettle Mastertouch and got a free griddle accessory.
    Just a few ques!
    - Where and what type of charcoal should I buy (Dublin based)?
    - I mostly plan to do fast cooking food (burgers, fish, chicken) but I do eventually plan to do smoking so is a Slow n Sear worth getting?
    - what websites do you use for recipe ideas?
    - where do you buy your rubs/marinades etc?
    - any other tips appreciated? I'm a good cook indoors but a bit of a novice outdoors as we used gas grills growing up.

Just bought one of these today myself. Will be interested to see how you get on with it. Bought weber briquettes with it from the website so will see what they're like and then maybe try the likes of wood fuel.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

SVI40 wrote: »
    I have 2 Slow n Sears, the standard and the XL. I cannot recommend them enough.

I created my own using 2 paving bricks laid end to end. I'll see if I can dig a picture out later. It works brilliantly though and costs feck all.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Just a few questions on what people have or haven't tried on the coals...
    I just got a cheapo aldi offset barbecue, (looks ok, with a few mods to come)

Has anyone done beef cheeks.. They're super lean (which my girlfriend approves of) but concerned they may be too dry... Maybe wrapping in butchers paper? I realize theyre gonna be an 8 to 12 hour cook...

Lamb shanks? Have a pack of four sitting in my fridge waiting for me to cook... Maybe today....

Pork neck, a friend has done these in the past, neck not shoulder, boneless lean and well trimmed... But whenever I get it from the butcher it's fat and boney.. Am I ordering the wrong thing..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,027 ✭✭✭fitz

Markcheese wrote: »

Has anyone done beef cheeks.. They're super lean (which my girlfriend approves of) but concerned they may be too dry... Maybe wrapping in butchers paper? I realize theyre gonna be an 8 to 12 hour cook...

Lamb shanks? Have a pack of four sitting in my fridge waiting for me to cook... Maybe today....

Pork neck, a friend has done these in the past, neck not shoulder, boneless lean and well trimmed... But whenever I get it from the butcher it's fat and boney.. Am I ordering the wrong thing..

Beef cheeks are terrific when you get them right.
    Haven't tried wrapping them, but make sure you control temp, and get them as big as possible. Smaller ones will dry out quickly if you don't stay at or below 250, tops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Markcheese

fitz wrote: »
    Beef cheeks are terrific when you get them right.
    Haven't tried wrapping them, but make sure you control temp, and get them as big as possible. Smaller ones will dry out quickly if you don't stay at or below 250, tops.
    Brilliant, thanks.. Yeah I've cooked them in a slow cooker before (totally different beast I know)..
    Would it be worth putting a tray of liquid ( water,beer, cider) into the barbecue for at least some of the cooking to keep moisture in? Or is that a big nó no?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 20,048 ✭✭✭✭neris

Pork neck is great for kebabs and also chopping into steaks. Pork cheeks are great on the bbq aswell. Smoked for about 90 minutes and then tin foil for 30. Alot smaller though then beef cheek

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭briancarr82

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭cullenswood

tmh106 wrote: »
    Hi everyone.

How high is the lid on this, i.e. would it fit a beer can chicken? From looking at the pics I think it might be too low?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

How high is the lid on this, i.e. would it fit a beer can chicken? From looking at the pics I think it might be too low?

Cook beercan chicken standing on charcoal grate. You can sheild from coals with tinfoil but i dont bother.

Brilliant, thanks.. Yeah I've cooked them in a slow cooker before (totally different beast I know)..
    Would it be worth putting a tray of liquid ( water,beer, cider) into the barbecue for at least some of the cooking to keep moisture in? Or is that a big nó no?

Yeah, water in the drip tray underneath is a good plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Cook beercan chicken standing on charcoal grate. You can sheild from coals with tinfoil but i dont bother.
    This is a gas bbq is it not?

Yes

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Tried them, low and slow on a Weber smokey mountain. Made a balls of them.

I think they need to be wrapped early in the cook.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭FCB1899

Regularly do beef cheeks on the WSM. 3hrs in the smoker uncovered and 2-2.5 hrs foil covered with a little stock/beer combo. Meat falls apart so suitable for tacos.

• Advertisement

Scrap that so :-)

Scrap that so :-)

Guess I won't be doing beer can chicken so. Maybe guinea fowl.

tmh106 wrote:
    Guess I won't be doing beer can chicken so. Maybe guinea fowl.

Have you tried spatchcocking it ??

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dingbat

Beef cheek is a wonderful thing. About three hours indirect, then foil with some water in there for about another two hours or so. It's a super rich flavour, and texture, so a little goes a long way.

Personally I'd braise lamb shanks rather than do them in the BBQ.

Pork neck is v good for making pulled pork. It's a touch leaner than shoulder but behaves similarly, in my experience. Your local polish shop might be a useful source.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Buyingcar2012

Anyone have a good recipe for spatchcock chicken? Maybe more bbq marinade than spicy?

Also, I'd like to get a dual probe thermometer - any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dingbat

Also, I'd like to get a dual probe thermometer - any recommendations?
    Whichever ThermoPro or Maverick dual probe model has a deal going on Amazon. Don't waste time looking up bundles of reviews :-)

I'd like to get a dual probe thermometer - any recommendations?

Maverick 732, I have one, and just ordered a second last night.

SVI40 wrote: »
    I'd like to get a dual probe thermometer - any recommendations?

Maverick 732, I have one, and just ordered a second last night.

Thermoworks Smoke, from the same people who make Thermapens. Got it when the Maverick variant I had started acting up. Probes on the Smoke seem more accurate, whole thing feels way more solid.
    Buy cheap, buy twice, etc...

https://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke

fitz wrote: »
    Thermoworks Smoke, from the same people who make Thermapens. Got it when the Maverick variant I had started acting up. Probes on the Smoke seem more accurate, whole thing feels way more solid.
    Buy cheap, buy twice, etc...

https://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke

Some day, it will be mine, along with the ThermaPen 4!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Debub

Anyone know where to get a good price for the Weber Mastertouch 57?
    Saw it for €285 yesterday on Orchard and it now shows for €275 and also says FREE DELIVERY on the website, but when I rang them to reconfirm - a woman on the phone said that its €65 for a delivery to West Cork. Also its advertised as coming with a free starter kit - but doesn't show up when I do the order.
    Anyone has any previous dealings with them?
    Thanks

Advertisement