Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Charcoal* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Hi, has anyone got any suggestions for some good veggie bbq/grill recipes?

Halloumi. Sliced and bbqed, delicious.

I've made some marinated vegetable and paneer kebabs last year - the marinade was tomato puree, balsamic, garlic, bit of salt, quite a bit of chili and paprika. I found that with those, it's a good idea to oven-bake them first and put them on the bbq just for that final touch.

Portobello mushrooms, filled with some cream cheese with herbs.

Or, for quick and easy, quorn sausages or burgers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Psychologeeee

Shenshen wrote: »

I've made some marinated vegetable and paneer kebabs last year - the marinade was tomato puree, balsamic, garlic, bit of salt, quite a bit of chili and paprika. I found that with those, it's a good idea to oven-bake them first and put them on the bbq just for that final touch.

Thanks for that! I had never even thought of just grilling quorn stuff! I don't eat it regularly but it may do for a bbq!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Shenshen wrote: »

So apart from the heresy that is the last sentence just make side dishes that usually accompany meat?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

longshanks wrote: »
    So apart from the heresy that is the last sentence just make side dishes that usually accompany meat?

I've never had any of the above as a side dish, even when I was still eating meat? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I find quorn and most bought veggie saussages and burgers turn out like cardboard if you cook them on the grill..
    Veggie skewers ect no prob..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Hi, has anyone got any suggestions for some good veggie bbq/grill recipes?

You can grill most vegetables by rubbing them with oil, salt and pepper. Carrots can be par boiled first. Worth experimenting with flavours like caraway seeds etc.

Have a look here:

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/collection/vegetarian-barbecue

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Aubergines are great grilled.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/grilled_aubergines_with_73271

You can also put peppers on direct heat and turn them when they get charred and blistered. After they are done you put them into plastic zip bag so that the skins loosen and are easy to peal. Dress peeled peppers with a bit of chopped garlic, some basil leaves, black pepper, salt and good quality olive oil. All you need is some good toasted bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭lordstilton

Cheers for the reply. Can I please ask what size cylinder it is in kg?
    I just checked mine and it's a 5.3 kg Flogas Gas Lite cylinder. About two foot in height.
    Would yours be similar to this? Or is it a larger cylinder than mine?

I have checked for leaks and cant find any issues. And its a brand new BBQ (as in we bought it in late April/Early May, Weber Genesis), so I'm baffled now.

Going by the American sites they reckon around 20 hrs and their tanks are smaller than hours.. There is a way of calculating it if you know the btu of the grill

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Cheers for the reply. Can I please ask what size cylinder it is in kg?
    I just checked mine and it's a 5.3 kg Flogas Gas Lite cylinder. About two foot in height.
    Would yours be similar to this? Or is it a larger cylinder than mine?

I have checked for leaks and cant find any issues. And its a brand new BBQ (as in we bought it in late April/Early May, Weber Genesis), so I'm baffled now.

Mine is an 11kg calor gas cylinder. Could explain a lot.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Brian? wrote: »
    Mine is an 11kg calor gas cylinder. Could explain a lot.

Thanks a million! Yeah I think that explains it so. Mine is only half that size.
    I think I'll invest in an 11kg one instead of running out so quickly in future.

Puts my mind at rest now anyway, thanks a mill!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Big Golfer 42

Hi all,

First time in thread.

I was drooling at Gloomtastic's bbq'd chicken when I noticed use of lava rocks. Haven't used these in ages. What are the advantages over direct flame?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Hi all,

First time in thread.

I was drooling at Gloomtastic's bbq'd chicken when I noticed use of lava rocks. Haven't used these in ages. What are the advantages over direct flame?

Thanks. I believe they burn off a lot of the fat that comes from any meat giving it additional smokey flavour as opposed to just flames. I've found you get less fat on the fat tray underneath the flames which is a fire hazard in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Anyone know where I can get this.

Paid 12.50 a bag years ago and can't remember where I bought it.

Thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Pkiernan, I've merged your thread into the BBQ/Grilling megathread, because the people who will be able to help follow this one and will be more likely to see your query in here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭budgemook

Pkiernan wrote: »

Thanks.

Try woodfuel.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Pkiernan wrote: »

Thanks.

A Room Outside

I am guessing you are mistaken with the price. I use it all the time and find the quality very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

No - I paid 50 for 4 bags - each was the 12kg bag.
    This was in the summer of 2013

The price on your link looks shocking! It is great stuff though.

Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 ZaffizaKunt

Woodfuel do the same bags for €16.

Going to attempt my first brisket on the Kamado Joe this weekend. Have one ordered, 2-3KG off the bone and have my rub picked etc.

I'll get started at 5AM. I'm planning to keep it at 110 degrees with 3 or 4 oak chunks spread around the place and will cook it until 80 degrees or so internally.

When it's done I'll separate the point and keep that for burnt ends and I'll be serving the flat in thin slices with home made BBQ sauce.

I am not planning on covering it at all - I will have a drip tray to catch the juices and will pour some over the leftovers to keep it moist.

That's the plan. Any tips from here? Any alternative suggestions? I want to keep it simple enough for the first go but also want a fairly good chance of success.

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

I've done brisket a number of times and the briskets I get don't have a point end, at least not like the ones in the states. You can always dice off some of the end and make burnt ends with that if you want though.

I don't use a drip tray and a Komodo will do a good job at keeping it moist. I think doing anything with the moisture it traps is a little pointless. What are you thinking? Pour over during cooking or mix in after?

• Advertisement

MaceFace wrote: »
    I've done brisket a number of times and the briskets I get don't have a point end, at least not like the ones in the states. You can always dice off some of the end and make burnt ends with that if you want though.

I don't use a drip tray and a Komodo will do a good job at keeping it moist. I think doing anything with the moisture it traps is a little pointless. What are you thinking? Pour over during cooking or mix in after?

Oh so I might just get the flat? That's one of the struggles of BBQ - everything is written from American perspective!

I was just thinking of keeping the juices to keep the meat that is not eaten sitting in to prevent it drying out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

budgemook wrote: »
    Going to attempt my first brisket on the Kamado Joe this weekend. Have one ordered, 2-3KG off the bone and have my rub picked etc.

I'll get started at 5AM. I'm planning to keep it at 110 degrees with 3 or 4 oak chunks spread around the place and will cook it until 80 degrees or so internally.

When it's done I'll separate the point and keep that for burnt ends and I'll be serving the flat in thin slices with home made BBQ sauce.

I am not planning on covering it at all - I will have a drip tray to catch the juices and will pour some over the leftovers to keep it moist.

That's the plan. Any tips from here? Any alternative suggestions? I want to keep it simple enough for the first go but also want a fairly good chance of success.

Thanks!

In my experience the "juices" in the drip tray are a mix of water, fat, coal particles, burnt flakes and other crap I wouldn't want to have poured back on the meat. I use a WSM so you setup might give a different result.

Personally I would cover it about 165F (more american units!!) but thats because it dries out on me if I don't. Again, your setup/results might differ.

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

budgemook wrote: »

Thanks!

I cooked one a few months ago, similar size to yours. Post is here.

oleras wrote: »
    I cooked one a few months ago, similar size to yours. Post is here.

Oh cheers! I remember the post now actually :)

I attended the weber bbq essentials course today after I won tickets on today fm a few weeks back. Great course, would really recommend it to anyone thinking about it.

IMG_20170722_WA0014_592x1056.jpgIMG_20170722_WA0021_600x800.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭alowe

Help please... I have the dream of bbq'ing burgers, steaks, etc. for family meals. I have a charcoal weber bbq, but would like to get a gas bbq (illusion i'll use it). Anyway, after looking I think we're down to 3 options.
    1. Outback apollo 4 burner for €260 - cast iron grills and burners and has a grill plate for veggies, sear steaks, etc. (would like this)
    2. Sahara 450xl 4 burner with rotissery included, glass window for €360 - cast iron grills, but ss burners.
    3. Weber E310 - approx €560 - no cast iron, but weber rep and 10year warranty on burners.

I know the weber would be the best - although from looking at it, its grills aren't nearly as nice as the cast iron ones of other 2. However, the rep for outback is that their burners rust easily, even with care, and there's very little reviews for the apollo (its all meteor, which might be the same but not identical). The sahara looks good and sturdy too, but again not many reviews, so don't know if it'll last. The weber however is over twice the price, for no cast iron.... (and looks like ss burners too.), and apparently now made in China, so maybe not as good a product as previous.

Any advice on which is best value....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

Personally I'd stick with the charcoal weber..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

alowe wrote: »
    Help please... I have the dream of bbq'ing burgers, steaks, etc. for family meals. I have a charcoal weber bbq, but would like to get a gas bbq (illusion i'll use it). Anyway, after looking I think we're down to 3 options.
    1. Outback apollo 4 burner for €260 - cast iron grills and burners and has a grill plate for veggies, sear steaks, etc. (would like this)
    2. Sahara 450xl 4 burner with rotissery included, glass window for €360 - cast iron grills, but ss burners.
    3. Weber E310 - approx €560 - no cast iron, but weber rep and 10year warranty on burners.

Any advice on which is best value....

You can get the spirit with cast iron grates but costs more. You can get a grill plate for it also from weber and there's aftermarket one's available also. Keep an eye out for used Webers, they last for ever so save money and get a used one. If anything needs replacing on it you can get the parts from Weber handy enough.

And ignore anyone that says stick with charcoal. I have a charcoal weber and a weber summit (gas) and a pellet smoker and I use them all. Each one has it's place and use.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Psychologeeee

meeeeh wrote: »
    Aubergines are great grilled.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/grilled_aubergines_with_73271

You can also put peppers on direct heat and turn them when they get charred and blistered. After they are done you put them into plastic zip bag so that the skins loosen and are easy to peal. Dress peeled peppers with a bit of chopped garlic, some basil leaves, black pepper, salt and good quality olive oil. All you need is some good toasted bread.

Thanks! The peppers sound great. The stuffed peppers recipe on the bbc good food link that was posted also look lovely!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭SVI40

alowe wrote: »

Personally, I'd stick with the charcoal. I feel it gives a better flavour to the cooking. Once you get use to cooking on charcoal, it is amazing how accurately you can control the temperature, and how long you can cook for with a relatively small amount of charcoal.

Check our www.amazingribs.com or https://abcbarbecue.com/ for some great information, especially the latters facebook page.

Best of luck, with whatever you choose :).

Advertisement