Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Subaru Impreza Boxer Diesel

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,395 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

interesting, you can get a Subaru Forester commercial for 28k including VAT now...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

TomMc wrote: »
    http://cars.carrollrochesubaru.com/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200902191424704

I saw this one in the showroom a few weeks back. Looked very well but whether you could look at it every day for a few years, I'm not so sure. And the top spec car will always look way better than the entry level model in the same colour (spartan).

Thats exactly the same as the one i saw in the showrooms.
    Was instantly impressed with it.
    Fortunately I qualify for a certain amount of VRT/VAT reduction (€9.5k)
    Dealer asked if I would be trading my own car ."Cordoba 1.4TDIs "
    Tols him I would most likely sel it private.
    He told me then €20k for that particular model Imprezza.. I thought it would be worth concidering :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Are they the same limited range as the legacy?

I'd say in Ireland they have more Impreza's for sale than Legacy's. I think the UK importer hasn't brought in or will not be bringing in any Diesel Impreza's till the exchange rate improves.

I'd say in Ireland they have more Impreza's for sale than Legacy's. I think the UK importer hasn't brought in or will not be bringing in any Diesel Impreza's till the exchange rate improves.

I think he was asking about the range available rather then the Quantity available. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I meant range of colours.... there was only about 6 for the Legacy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I'd go for white. Seen a couple around and the white is really nice with the pearl effect

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

http://cars.carrollrochesubaru.com/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200902191424704

I saw this one in the showroom a few weeks back. Looked very well but whether you could look at it every day for a few years, I'm not so sure. And the top spec car will always look way better than the entry level model in the same colour (spartan).
    I saw this aswell yesterday. Lovely inside & out but the white is an acquired taste and not for me

Are they the same limited range as the legacy?

ya only 2 spec levels aswell in the legacy but the entry level is suffiecient. Only leather & sunroof on the top spec for an extra 2.5k

colm_mcm wrote: »
    interesting, you can get a Subaru Forester commercial for 28k including VAT now...

Don't like them....previous Forester was much better looking

vectra wrote: »
    He told me then €20k for that particular model Imprezza.. I thought it would be worth concidering :confused:

20k for the RS cash??? I find that hard to believe. Really?

• Advertisement

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    20k for the RS cash??? I find that hard to believe. Really?

Well.
    Thats what the owner of the garage said to me.
    Break it down then
    What are they new?
    30.995 ?

Take some cash sale discount = 1.5k

balance = 29.495

VRT/VAT Claimback = approx 9.5 K <<< ( I am exempt through disability issue )
    Balance = Magical 20K :cool:

vectra wrote: »
    Well.
    Thats what the owner of the garage said to me.
    Break it down then
    What are they new?
    30.995 ?

Take some cash sale discount = 1.5k

balance = 29.495

VRT/VAT Claimback = approx 9.5 K <<< ( I am exempt through disability issue )
    Balance = Magical 20K :cool:
    gotcha

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Ive been told the Subaru Boxer diesels are, for diesels, not torquey at all and the torque curve is designed to replicate a petrol, ie none of it is down low. Is that true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 damosee

who wants a diesel car lyk

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Ive been told the Subaru Boxer diesels are, for diesels, not torquey at all and the torque curve is designed to replicate a petrol, ie none of it is down low. Is that true?
    I've spent a couple of days with one, and i'd say that's true-ish. It's not short of torque, but it's not all in a big wedge down at 1500rpm either. It's like a fairly torquey NA petrol, IMO. I was very impressed, and I generally don't have much time for diesel. Actually, maybe that's why I was impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,989 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Well, there's 350NM at 1800RPM. That's more torque and available earlier than a base VAG 1.9 TDI or the base FIAT 1.9 diesel, to name a few popular diesels.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

unkel wrote: »
    Well, there's 350NM at 1800RPM. That's more torque and available earlier than a base VAG 1.9 TDI or the base FIAT 1.9 diesel, to name a few popular diesels.

You and your base spec comparisons again!
    I did just find this however:
    2005+ Passat 2.0TDI (lets compare newish to new, not ancient 1.9TDI to anything):
    http://www.rri.se/popup/performancegraphs.php?ChartsID=268

Outback BoxerDiesel 2.0 (same as Impreza?)
    http://www.rri.se/popup/performancegraphs.php?Flap=Graph&ChartsID=840

The test and paper Torque is indeed higher on the Boxerdiesel engine, strangely though the "148BHP" Boxerdiesel comes in at 133BHP on the dyno while the "138BHP" VAG 2.0TDI pips it at a dyno'ed 139BHP.

@Anan1 - Interesting, cant say replicating a torquey NA Petrol sounds bad at all. What did you think of the noise of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,989 ✭✭✭✭unkel

lets compare newish to new, not ancient 1.9TDI to anything

Let's not. It would not be fair. A Skoda Octavia (cheapest VAG c-class car) with the cheapest diesel (1.9 105BHP) has a similar price to the Subaru diesel. They should be compared as they are competing products.

@Anan1 - Interesting, cant say replicating a torquey NA Petrol sounds bad at all. What did you think of the noise of it?
    I drove the legacy the other day and it was very quiet...but it was nice and revvy when I gave it a bit of boot

The only time you know its a diesel is the first 2nd of startup...I was amazed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

You and your base spec comparisons again!
    I did just find this however:
    2005+ Passat 2.0TDI (lets compare newish to new, not ancient 1.9TDI to anything):
    http://www.rri.se/popup/performancegraphs.php?ChartsID=268

Outback BoxerDiesel 2.0 (same as Impreza?)
    http://www.rri.se/popup/performancegraphs.php?Flap=Graph&ChartsID=840

The test and paper Torque is indeed higher on the Boxerdiesel engine, strangely though the "148BHP" Boxerdiesel comes in at 133BHP on the dyno while the "138BHP" VAG 2.0TDI pips it at a dyno'ed 139BHP.

I bought a Subaru diesel a year ago so have gotten to know it fairly well.

Noise is good under acceleration. V. muted but slightly burbly. You'd know it's a diesel mind (just).

It does have one strange characteristic though. When sitting in traffic after a run you will sometimes hear the revs rise slightly and feel a vibrration under your arse. Dealer said it had something to do with 'soot' been expelled(?) Doesn't bother me. Some girls might even enjoy it:D...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I actually kind of liked it. Don't get me wrong, i'd still prefer my petrol variant, but I thought it sweet & characterful for what it was. Another 50bhp and an autobox and I could nearly see myself wanting one.

I had a good look around the Impreza the other day...found the interior plastics very cheap and hollow and not all that screwed together....I'll be sticking with my choice for the legacy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 PugDriver

I am thinking of getting one of these in the near future. I don't like the sound of iffy interior build quality, especially with the roads I drive on - any squeaks or rattles would drive me nuts. I was also half thinking of a year old Octavia RS TDI. I have a longish commute on icy back roads in the winter - will the 4WD be an asset in the Impreza in these conditions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

PugDriver wrote: »
    I have a longish commute on icy back roads in the winter - will the 4WD be an asset in the Impreza in these conditions?

Hell yeah! AWD for the win.

Hell yeah! AWD for the win.

Normally in the ice it is the awd cars that crash first.
    Yes
    They have loads of grip to drive
    BUT
    You will be going faster when you try to stop in a hurry :o

colm_mcm wrote: »

cheaper again now colm...about 25k

pburns wrote: »
    It does have one strange characteristic though. When sitting in traffic after a run you will sometimes hear the revs rise slightly and feel a vibrration under your arse. Dealer said it had something to do with 'soot' been expelled(?) Doesn't bother me. Some girls might even enjoy it:D...

was told yesterday this is a self diagnostic every 300km that the EMS carrys out

My problem is what i'm eventually going to replace it with. The new Legacy is fugly, the Impreza is a step backward in size and interior plastics, the Forester has gone all-SUV (not bad looking though):mad:

I love the smooth engine, the ride comfort coupled with AWD-grip and the low-key but subtly aggressive styling. It's tailor-made for Irish conditions but the new ones are such mutts.

I'd blame American tastes except i was over there last week and the US versions of Hondas and even the Nissan Maxima are much more handsome than the ones we get in Europe...

pburns wrote: »
    My problem is what i'm eventually going to replace it with. The new Legacy is fugly, the Impreza is a step backward in size and interior plastics, the Forester has gone all-SUV (not bad looking though):mad:

I love the smooth engine, the ride comfort coupled with AWD-grip and the low-key but subtly aggressive styling. It's tailor-made for Irish conditions but the new ones are such mutts.

it has to be the US influence over the styling of the latest Subaru's. Even the front end styling of the facelifted Tribeca has gone west....I preferred the quirky original front.

The pics I've seen of the Outback seem to just as bad for 2010, so there isn't much to choose from. Subaru have decided that to make more money and sell more cars, they need them to look more main stream.

• Advertisement

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    it has to be the US influence over the styling of the latest Subaru's. Even the front end styling of the facelifted Tribeca has gone west....I preferred the quirky original front.

The pics I've seen of the Outback seem to just as bad for 2010, so there isn't much to choose from. Subaru have decided that to make more money and sell more cars, they need them to look more main stream.

Mainstream? But Subarus never looked especially different or exotic. No, it's just Subaru have some failed engineer or the teaboy doing the design work.

They're losing the frameless doors which is kinda sad but they're also losing the unconventional headlight set-up (by default lightsgo out with ignition - no need for warning buzz). It's a small thing but i've really grown to love that feature!

And like i said, US-spec Jap cars aren't exactly ugly. Various Honda/Acura and Nissans are quite mouth-watering in comparison to what we get here. i'm looking at an ad for the latest Maxima:eek: in Car and Driver and holy feck it's a bloody looker! If it was the latest Leggie I'd be more than happy.

Advertisement