Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Subaru Impreza Boxer Diesel

Options
  • 18-04-2009 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭

Questions, questions, questions...... :)
    Does anyone here have the new Impreza Boxer Diesel?
    Anyone driven one yet? If so what are they like to drive?

I see there are 3 specs, the 2.0TD, 2.0TD S, 2.0TD RS
    (resp. €21,495, €26,995, €30,995)
    The base 2.0TD looks a bargain!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Drove one ealier in the year. Really nice car. Loads of power and you can get it down on the road which is nice. Quiet with it. Salesman said you could start the engine with a coin on top and it wouldnt fall off and I genuinely would believe it. The base car is a bit of a bargain too. Only thing its missing (for me) is radio controls on the wheel and front fogs both of which can be got. No proper arm rest either. Different dealers gave different stories on this though. It's even got heated seats. One thing though - it's very plasticy inside and some of them seemed as if they would mark easily. Still, if you're careful-ish should be fine. Was sorely tempted but cost to change was too much

• Registered Users Posts: 64,989 ✭✭✭✭unkel

lafors wrote: »
    The base 2.0TD looks a bargain!

Indeed. The spec is reasonable and it does have 4WD as standard. One of the best value for money new cars out there imho (if you can live with the looks).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Hopefully this 2.0TD S, €26,995, will be my next car

They are the best value for money in base spec - There is a serious jump in price between spec's though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

unkel wrote: »
    Indeed. The spec is reasonable and it does have 4WD as standard. One of the best value for money new cars out there imho (if you can live with the looks).

Does it have 'Low Ratio'?

• Advertisement

vectra wrote: »
    Hopefully this 2.0TD S, €26,995, will be my next car

What extras do you get on top of the base spec for the extra €5,500?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Thanks for the link, TomMc.

That's a lot of money for very little extras imho. I reckon about 60-70% of this will have depreciated within a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Looks like 17" wheels, upgraded stereo, Xenons and bodykit. Makes the entry level one look like the best option in terms of value for money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Cheap car all in all.

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Thanks for the link, TomMc.

That's a lot of money for very little extras imho. I reckon about 60-70% of this will have depreciated within a year.

so
    buy the base model and stick a nicer set of wheels under it?
    add xenon kit maybe?

Wont be buying for a while but weighing up the options ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

so
    add xenon kit maybe?

If you're waiting a bit, save up in between and by then you may be able to afford a legacy......?

Same engine,economy etc but without the ugly looks of the impreza.

so
    add xenon kit maybe?

Was unbelievably tempted to get one at start of year and that was what I was going to do...only exterior difference is wheels, fogs and sideskirts.

Interior main one is the all in one seats really

so
    add xenon kit maybe?

Anything added after buying the car and you won't be paying VRT over it. And 16" wheels might very well be more suitable to the car anyway on our roads. How much is a proper aftermarket (or even dealer) xenon upgrade?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I think the base spec is 2wd, the others are 4wd. They actually don't look too bad for a hatchback. Nicer than the Mk 6 golf, and much better value. 7 grand cheaper for 10 more bhp!

All models are 4 wheel drive.

The curious thing though is that they dont sell this in the UK - surely they'd clean up over there with it

EPM wrote: »

The curious thing though is that they dont sell this in the UK - surely they'd clean up over there with it

hmm
    buy a few and sell them over then :D

That could actually work I'd say:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

See here:)

makes sense Zonda yes...

• Advertisement

How sure are you? Mate was told by a dealer that the base is 2wd, that's why the gap is so big to next model up. It doesn't give any info on the subaru.ie site.

I was told it was AWD by the salesman in Ryans in Cork when I test drove one. As far as I remember the brochure stated it and it got the power doen without a bother. Also the transmission tunnel in the back was BIG! There might be a FWD option but it would seem mad to re-engineer the thing for a base model special sold in limited numbers

EDIT - ALL I COULD FIND ON THE WEB

http://www.subaru-global.com/special/impreza_20d/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Biro wrote: »
    How sure are you? Mate was told by a dealer that the base is 2wd, that's why the gap is so big to next model up. It doesn't give any info on the subaru.ie site.

No offence but that's utter bollox. All imprezas diesels are four wheel drive. Buddy of mine asked me to recommend a new diesel car and I recommended it based on the value for money, the reassurance of 4wd, the fact that it's a new model, bang up to date technology-wise and highly likely to be very reliable.
    Anyway he went for a test drive, liked it and bought the car. It comes with asymmetrical all wheel drive written on the back (base model) and just to be sure I took it out the back of our farmyard to see how it would take off on the loose suface. After dropping the clutch at relatively high revs it cut right out. It's definitely four wheel drive. If a salesman really said that it wasn't he should be fired for general ignorance.:eek:
    To the OP it's a nice car, it really is especially if you put your own bigger alloys on post purhase. It REALLY needs bigger wheels. Other virtues include excellent grip in the wet, yes I drove it on the road too, and the engine is very smooth. One thing though the diesels seem a bit gutless until they're run in so bear that in mind if you go for a test drive. After about 10,000km they're very quick and you'll need to watch the speedo to avoid points. Standard equipment is generous with climate control, 6 speed gearbox, cruise control, MP3 connectivity, alloys, tractions control and lots of other acronyms which mean nothing to me but are costly options on competitors. The interior is fairly dark although the build quality is the best in the business in my opinion. Big rubbery dashboards do not a reliable or well built car make contrary to popular perception. VW and Audi take note!
    I agree about the crazy price difference between the various spec levels though. I think you'd be nuts to spend E5000 on bigger wheels,, a body kit and foglights that won't be used appropriately anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Seinas

yeah im looking at buying one of these at the moment, the salesman in Dermot Healy Motors in Killarney said that the only difference between the TD and the TDS is an inch bigger alloys and spot lights!! so i was thinking getting the TD version and getting all the extra's thrown on:rolleyes: still though, there's loads of 09 ones on carzone with hardly any mileage going for much cheaper than the quoted price:D

I looked into it for a previous thread and even the cheapest diesel is 4WD. The base petrol might be 2WD - I'm not 100% sure on that.

Seinas wrote: »
    the salesman in Dermot Healy Motors in Killarney said that the only difference between the TD and the TDS is an inch bigger alloys and spot lights!!

Sounds like a big price jump for those :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

All Subaru's except the justy are fulltime 4wd, just like all subaru's except the justy have boxer engines.
    the Legacy has most of the options on the mid price car - and only 3k more

The old Impreza's were 2wd in base models. Those days must be gone now! No harm, nice to have 4WD. Excellent value car. Hopefully will replace the infamous "Octavia" when people suggest cheap diesels!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Biro wrote: »
    Hopefully will replace the infamous "Octavia" when people suggest cheap diesels!

It does seem to undercut the octavia but that'll be fighting back in the near future when their greenline model lands here. 1.6 CR TDI with 105 bhp. CO2 - 119G/KM -) E104 road tax. Shouldnt be much more then 20k.

I think the octavia is a bit better looking too to be fair!:)

• Advertisement

Zonda999 wrote: »
    I think the octavia is a bit better looking too to be fair!:)

Generally I would think older people like the Octavia as a family car .
    I couldnt see those same people buying Imprezza's just because they have 4wd and are 20k (ish)

Advertisement