Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AZBOX /Elite / HD / Premium

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭stimpson

Daily firmware builds available here for the brave:

http://dailyfw.azupd.com/

Completely unsupported, no changelogs, not for bug reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

stimpson wrote: »

Interesting move, will try one out and report back...

Just to say that they are adding a brief changelog with these beta beta's now.

Did try the latest firmware but the only thing I noticed was that the EPG tab was missing from Settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭bigalk

has anyone tried one of these, or looked at them as an alternative to the Abox?
    Seems to do the same stuff - but im a complete novice in this area so could be completely wrong.

thoughts?

sorry, link for last post

http://www.tvblobbox.com/ataglance.php

• Advertisement

Wooohh, over 400 Euro with delivery and it doesn't even do DVB-S, think I'd buy a PS3 and PlayTV attachment instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

gtg60 wrote: »
    Wooohh, over 400 Euro with delivery and it doesn't even do DVB-S, think I'd buy a PS3 and PlayTV attachment instead.
    bet it does everything the website says it does, and doesnt make claims about future features which it then removes?

Bogger77 wrote: »
    bet it does everything the website says it does, and doesnt make claims about future features which it then removes?

So what? It's still expensive for what it is and at least I suggested something constructive to the poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,518 ✭✭✭✭kippy

A FUTURE FEATURE.....in the singular.......
    Bad form yes, but it doesnt consign the box to the bin just yet......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

kippy wrote: »
    A FUTURE FEATURE.....in the singular.......
    Bad form yes, but it doesnt consign the box to the bin just yet......
    if a company cannot even get the specifications and feature set right, on the only product they make, then it is enough to dump to curb. Firmware still in beta, and still unstable.
    even the crappiest project on sourceforge is more reliable than the gang behind azBox.

Box has some kewl features, the 4.2.2 feeds etc, but when they had a chance to become the company leading the way for others, and they dropped the ball.

I was considering getting one of these, to schedule record some programs off my motorized system while I'm away during the week, and do some feed hunting when I'm home. but I don't think I will buy it.

I cannot trust a company that has gone back on it's promised features, cannot get it's basic firmware working, I think I'll have to go to a more stable company like Technomate or dream Media to fulfill my requirements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭stimpson

In fairness, the FW is reasonably stable. I just wish they hadn't killed the EURO_EPG plugin before they implemented the new EPG.

For watching TV it's fine - HD channels look especially good. Media Player is OK, but I already have a Mac Mini for a media player and it wipes the floor with the Azbox for stability, codec support and web browsing.

Twin Tuner support was the no 1 reason I bought the Azbox, so I feel ripped off. I was planning to drop in a second sat tuner and do without RTE, but that's not going to be an option now. I wish I'd spent a few quid more and got the Technomate 7100HD...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,518 ✭✭✭✭kippy

if a company cannot even get the specifications and feature set right, on the only product they make, then it is enough to dump to curb. Firmware still in beta, and still unstable.
    even the crappiest project on sourceforge is more reliable than the gang behind azBox.

Box has some kewl features, the 4.2.2 feeds etc, but when they had a chance to become the company leading the way for others, and they dropped the ball.

I was considering getting one of these, to schedule record some programs off my motorized system while I'm away during the week, and do some feed hunting when I'm home. but I don't think I will buy it.

I cannot trust a company that has gone back on it's promised features, cannot get it's basic firmware working, I think I'll have to go to a more stable company like Technomate or dream Media to fulfill my requirements.
    I aint goin dumping a box I bought for a few hundred euro because a feature which I didnt buy the box specificilly for, is not working.
    I wont buy one again, but what you are saying makes no sense at all to me.
    For all I need it for its pretty stable........

Hi lads,

and thanks for the responses on the Blobbox. maybe im barking up the wrong tree here when looking at the AZbox - and maybe someone can help me. if im hijacking, or off topic, then let me know cos im not a big boards user.

i want dual tuner support (W1R1) with EPG, HD, PVR and internet browser on a box. is the AZbox (future version) my only option at this sort of money? is there another way around - maybe a cheap pc added to the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Apogee

bigalk wrote: »
    i want dual tuner support (W1R1) with EPG, HD, PVR and internet browser on a box. is the AZbox (future version) my only option at this sort of money? is there another way around - maybe a cheap pc added to the mix.

The problem is it doesn't do W1R1 and apparently never will. The QBoxHD is the the closest rival, but I'm not sure if dual tuner has been sorted out with that either. The DM8000 is still the only option that works correctly but is significantly dearer.

what about some of the options from technomate?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,864 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

stimpson wrote: »

With thanks to the people on another forum this might be of interest. Allows you to update receiver with the daily firmware builds without having to use USB. I updated to the new 3919 firmware this way and it works.

So as not to have to download a patch.bin to a USB stick and perform an upgrade that way, you can follow this procedure and download directly from the firmware site dedicated to the "unofficial" software updates.

Go to the normal settings area - where the firmware download is normally found.

When internet is selected as the download option, press the green key to edit the URL

change
    Code:
    http://www.azupd.com to
    Code:
    http://dailyfw.azupd.com and enter to save.

now selecting "internet" will allow you to download and update the normal way.

I wouldn't really recommend this option, from other forums it appears a lot of people are having issues getting these firmware updates to work when downloading via the internet, USB seems to be the way to go.

And remember these daily updates are only for the hardcore users, if you want to use your box day to day then stick with the officially released Beta's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 zoinc

Hi all I'm new to boards.ie and was just wondering if you could help me with something. I have a motorised azbox (with DVB-S and DVB-T tuners which I got from slegs) and want to get BBC Radio 5Live but am unable to pick up Astra 2 due to a big tree. I receive FM radio from NTL and was wondering if that'd somehow be compatible with my digital terrestrial tuner? If not does anyone know of any other way (eg using line in from stereo) to intergrate the radio into my azbox and by extension my home network?
    Thanks in advance for any support/advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭taung

zoinc wrote: »
    Hi all I'm new to boards.ie and was just wondering if you could help me with something. I have a motorised azbox (with DVB-S and DVB-T tuners which I got from slegs) and want to get BBC Radio 5Live but am unable to pick up Astra 2 due to a big tree. I receive FM radio from NTL and was wondering if that'd somehow be compatible with my digital terrestrial tuner? If not does anyone know of any other way (eg using line in from stereo) to intergrate the radio into my azbox and by extension my home network?
    Thanks in advance for any support/advice

Hmmmm, that's a tough nut to crack!

If fear your only option is to get an FM tuner card/dongle for your computer, setup an MP3/AAC streaming service from this computer, connect up your computer to your WiFi network, download the 'iradio' plugin for your AZBOX and away you go! It's as simple :Das that!

Cut down that tree!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Hello,
    Just want the AZBOX for the 422 feeds, the rest is just a bonus so which AZBOX do I go for?

Thanks JD.

If you only want it for feed's then go for the cheapest option, the Elite.

If you only want it for feed's then go for the cheapest option, the Elite.

Decent of you for getting back to me.

I take it the Elite will take an external HD plus youtube. Sorry if this was mentioned before.

I see it for €229 so since I got no presents for xmas I'll have to take the plunge.

Happy NY.

JD:)

Yeah, you can record onto an External HD and it does Youtube.

Yeah, you can record onto an External HD and it does Youtube.

Thanks very much.

Will keep the thread updated.

Happy NY.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭tapfit2004

I had a quick search on the net for the newest version, the premium plus. It seems that its going to do all the others did plus a hw blind scan and full dual tuner support. Does anyone know what the planned release date and retail price are? I presume it will be a beta software release like before. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Just quick question. I currently have a Dreambox running Gemini project with CCcam but am considering purchasing another linux based sat receiver.

Does Gemini Project and CCcam only work with a dreambox or can I use them with any linux sat receiver (such as Azbox) ?

Thx

EDIT: Bit of digging around and I dont actually think Azbox is linux based but the official site says it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭cormacl

redout wrote: »
    Does Gemini Project and CCcam only work with a dreambox or can I use them with any linux sat receiver (such as Azbox) ?

For this to be an option, Enigma2 would need to be ported to the Azbox and a custom image built for the given processor of the Azbox. That is not the case at the moment. Either way, any given Gemini image, based on the Dreambox images, would never work on an Azbox, given the different target hardware. IMHO, the Azbox makers made a huge mistake not going this direction originally. Given that they were already going the Linux direction, there was no need to reinvent the wheel.

AFAIK, there is some existing support for soft CAMs for the AZBOX and I saw posts that people had got it to read cards etc. cccam for all we know, could already have an azbox port. If not, then no doubt other cams have been ported. You would need to verify this or hope that one of the Azbox fanboys will chime in and confirm this.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

I got a new Premium + AZbox today and have it all setup and working. It is connected to my DM800 using Cccam and all is working perfectly. Any questions please ask. For the price 2 X Tuners, 4.2.2 feeds it cannot be beaten. I bought a DM8000 and gave it back as I felt I was not getting value for money with it.

• Advertisement

TCP/IP wrote: »
    I got a new Premium + AZbox today

Thats great:)

I hope to pick mine up mid Jan all going well.

Throw up some screen shots if you have some time:) please.

How are the 422 feeds?

How is youtube?

Enjoy it.

Regards JD.

Advertisement