Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AZBOX /Elite / HD / Premium

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭irishchris

AZBox Beta Firmware: 0.9.3686
    for both AZBox Premium HD & AZBox Elite HD

Changelog / Release Notes:
    Code:
    _____ _____ _____
    | _ |__ | __ |___ _ _
    | | __| __ -| . |_'_|
    |__|__|_____|_____|___|_,_|
    www.opensat.eu | www.azbox.com

OpenSAT is proud to present

AZBox HD Firmware - rev. 0.9.3686
    (2009.10.27)

RELEASE NOTES
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

# FIXED
    ========

- YouTube: Correct a segmentation fault occurring when the network speed is slow.

# ADDED
    ========

- Added Backup and Restore: Channels, RSS, Plug-ins --- specially dedicated to our distributors

- Added the mp3 stream player.

- Added AES audio type.

# IMPROVED
    ===========

- Update the I2C interface for v2.8.5.1 driver

- Some media content improvements

- Decrease the delay when play IPTV.

- Decrease the CPU usage when playing a recorded file.

Best Regards,
    IRISHCHRIS

• Registered Users Posts: 18,524 ✭✭✭✭kippy

irishchris wrote: »
    AZBox Beta Firmware: 0.9.3686
    for both AZBox Premium HD & AZBox Elite HD

Code:
    _____ _____ _____
    | _ |__ | __ |___ _ _
    | | __| __ -| . |_'_|
    www.opensat.eu | www.azbox.com

AZBox HD Firmware - rev. 0.9.3686
    (2009.10.27)

RELEASE NOTES
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

# FIXED
    ========

- YouTube: Correct a segmentation fault occurring when the network speed is slow.

# ADDED
    ========

- Added Backup and Restore: Channels, RSS, Plug-ins --- specially dedicated to our distributors

- Added the mp3 stream player.

- Added AES audio type.

# IMPROVED
    ===========

- Update the I2C interface for v2.8.5.1 driver

- Some media content improvements

- Decrease the delay when play IPTV.

- Decrease the CPU usage when playing a recorded file.

Best Regards,
    IRISHCHRIS
    Hmm, I assume this contains all the updates that slegs mentioned two posts ago as well.
    Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

kippy wrote: »
    Hmm, I assume this contains all the updates that slegs mentioned two posts ago as well.
    Interesting.

Yes and both firmware's are available to download via the AZBox so both official releases.

bad bad news on azbox. seems twin tuner support will never be and opensat who make azbox have gone back on their promise of such and now refer to it as a combo box meaning you can use it for a sat tuner or a terrestrial/cable tuner but not both together as in if you wish to watch terrestrial you cannot record sat or vice versa - same with the promised second sat tuner unable to both run at same time so you can only record what you watch. a real let down. also opensat have publicly been caught out and such and even tried to change the product description on their website but were exposed for doing so. they have also banned most members who highlighted this and have shut down their forum to new registration. hence they are now been refered to as closedsat! sad day indeed for us azbox owners. official statement and supposed new firmware expected this weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭cormacl

seemed a bit too good to be true with all the "twin tuner support is working but they don't want to release it until everything is ready, but meanwhile, please enjoy the other bugs" excuses.

This means that in terms of an Irish Sat/DTT PVR with multiple tuners active at once and Freesat EPG support, that you're left with the Qbox ~€500 or DM8000 ~€1000. I'm basing this on the legitimate need for 2 sat tuners and at least 1 DTT tuner. Qbox meets this as does the DM8000, the latter still having one spare slot for an extra tuner.

Some may not be bothered with this restriction, but I've had plenty of scenarios in my FTA UK/Irish/German household where we were actively recording 2 satellite programs at once and watching a DTT service or existing recording at the time.

• Advertisement

exactly cormac. most people have this neccessity for at least two options. ie it watch sat and record sat. otherwise we may as well go back to watching rte one or two as we are been restricted in our viewing. im sure this will affect your sales too slegs mate. just a shame for you and for us that they have gone this route!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭johndoc

bad bad news on azbox. seems twin tuner support will never be and opensat who make azbox have gone back on their promise of such and now refer to it as a combo box meaning you can use it for a sat tuner or a terrestrial/cable tuner but not both together .............

Its gone a bit quiet in here:rolleyes:...........

Not too many posts have gone without a response for longer than an hour or two, particularly from our inhouse experts..... until now....
    C'mon lads. Is the Azbox dead in terms of being a proper integrated box then?

What's the point on commenting on speculation and heresay?

I see these other threads from other forums where someone says they heard that a guy said this and that...

...then it appears here as gospel.

Speculation like this seems to occur every 6~8weeks, admittedly it's not being helped by Opensat's lack of communication although they did quash rumours with a press release about 3 months back.

Every few weeks we get new firmware that improves the box no end, the box is still in development, let's wait and see what happens next...

exactly cormac. most people have this neccessity for at least two options. ie it watch sat and record sat. otherwise we may as well go back to watching rte one or two as we are been restricted in our viewing. im sure this will affect your sales too slegs mate. just a shame for you and for us that they have gone this route!

"We might as well go back to watching RTE 1 or 2 as we are been restricted in our viewing"
    What an absolute and over the top overreaction!

Not sure where the official line is on this from opensat, But here is my personal experience of the box.
    1. Didnt really get it for DTT or even Dual Tuner support-would be a bonus however.
    2. Bought it as an FTA receiver, with other options if required.
    3. Bought it with a 1 terra drive to be my primary media player.
    4. Bought it with the full knowledge it was beta and as such certain things wouldnt work and that certain promises of the makers may not be fulfilled.
    5. So far its done all I bought it for and more.

I would be slightly annoyed if the makers renaged on their initial product description, but I wouldnt over react about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Superfin

New Firmware out 3725, no details of whats contained in it yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭pissed

Superfin wrote: »
    New Firmware out 3725, no details of whats contained in it yet.

Thanks, have to wait till I get home though, its been a while coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭stimpson

Not the official change log, but from what I've seen on other sites:

Channel changing is now faster
    keyboard and mouse-functionality was implemented

Hope there is more than that. Would love an EPG that updated in the background (and twin tuner support obviously)

firmware was leaked - official firmware due this weekend. also in regards to what i announced last week about the makers opensat going back on their PROMISE of fully independent working twin tuners or as they desctibed record one channe and watch another here is their official announcement today which fully goes back on what they sold their boxes as:
    "
    Dear valuable AZBox users,

Opensat wants to clarify its position regarding the TWIN and COMBO Models:

1) At our STB's ONLY say's COMBO, OPENSAT only sell combo versions until now.

2) Opensat try to make all efforts during several months to add TWIN TUNER function, and wasn't possible, because of various reasons.

3) However like users ask, we promise find a way to support TWIN at our Chipset, and we make a new model to fit their needs, "PREMIUM +" , this model is complementary not replacement of "PREMIUM", both models will keep in sales normally.

4) This HW is totally different from premium because need to be done a lot of changes, and board is bigger than a normal TWIN.

5) About IMPEX-SAT (OPENSAT.DE) replacement opportunity, this is a internal matter of IMPEX-Sat , we don’t review on it for the basic reason that we sell Elite and Premium and new model is just complimentary. However we admire the efforts done by they and it’s a very courageous.

6) I hope with this post clarifies that situation, and this is the official position from OPENSAT.

With Best regards,

Hugo Condessa
    Opensat C.E.O.
    "

DESPICABLE!!

FFS. ****ty way to treat customers. It's just not good enough. They were advertised as twin tuner, watch one channel, record another.

I think I'll be looking to return mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭pissed

firmware was leaked - official firmware due this weekend. also in regards to what i announced last week about the makers opensat going back on their PROMISE of fully independent working twin tuners or as they desctibed record one channe and watch another here is their official announcement today which fully goes back on what they sold their boxes as:
    "
    Dear valuable AZBox users,

Opensat wants to clarify its position regarding the TWIN and COMBO Models:

1) At our STB's ONLY say's COMBO, OPENSAT only sell combo versions until now.

2) Opensat try to make all efforts during several months to add TWIN TUNER function, and wasn't possible, because of various reasons.

3) However like users ask, we promise find a way to support TWIN at our Chipset, and we make a new model to fit their needs, "PREMIUM +" , this model is complementary not replacement of "PREMIUM", both models will keep in sales normally.

4) This HW is totally different from premium because need to be done a lot of changes, and board is bigger than a normal TWIN.

5) About IMPEX-SAT (OPENSAT.DE) replacement opportunity, this is a internal matter of IMPEX-Sat , we don’t review on it for the basic reason that we sell Elite and Premium and new model is just complimentary. However we admire the efforts done by they and it’s a very courageous.

6) I hope with this post clarifies that situation, and this is the official position from OPENSAT.

With Best regards,

Hugo Condessa
    Opensat C.E.O.
    "

DESPICABLE!!

They can bring out what they want, but after they way they treated their customers who bought elite and premium models I dont think they will sell many. Dual tuner support was one of the main reasong I bought this box. So as it stands I have the S2 and the T tuners installed but unable to watch one and record another. Very poor on their behalf. :mad:

johndoc wrote: »
    C'mon lads. Is the Azbox dead in terms of being a proper integrated box then?

Appears the rumours have been quashed and yes the Azbox as bought by users to date (with the ambition and much spoken about nirvana of seamless DVB-T/DVT-S) is dead.
    I suppose a note of caution would be to take the promised functionality of Premium+ with a pinch of salt until the promises are delivered on.

Appears the rumours have been quashed and yes the Azbox as bought by users to date (with the ambition and much spoken about nirvana of seamless DVB-T/DVT-S) is dead.
    I suppose a note of caution would be to take the promised functionality of Premium+ with a pinch of salt until the promises are delivered on.

Indeed.
    A class box either way for the money.

Indeed.
    A class box either way for the money.

Assuming you didn't buy it for the advertised features

stimpson wrote: »
    Assuming you didn't buy it for the advertised features
    I bought it for the advertised features......watching of one tuner while recording of another was not that important to me. The box still offers me shedloads of features for a competitive price.

Well that's just great for you isn't it? I'm glad you're happy with your purchase. The problem is that some of us did actually buy the box for twin tuner support.

Apart from that, we're still waiting on a proper 7 day EPG, DTS on mkv files, 3GB+ files and uncapped file transfer speeds....

It's no wonder dev has slowed down on the firmware if the company is concentrating on the next model. Great way to treat customers.

• Advertisement

gtg60 wrote: »
    Nothing confirmed just yet but what I've read on other forums indicates that this is the goal and shouldn't be a problem, there is even a rumour (from a reliable source :confused:) that Picture in Picture will not only be possible but is planned :D
    Just got one of these, smashing bit of kit :D

Twin tuner firmware available from Friday, extra tuners in 2 weeks and Freesat/ Sky EPG also in 2 weeks, exciting times ahead :D
    cormacl wrote: »
    Is it confirmed yet if you will be able to record from one tuner while watching services from the other? Seems a lot of the cheaper combo systems have hardware limits in this regard. I realize twin tuner support is not yet available or only soon to be released but it would good to know this asap.
    slegs wrote: »
    Not known yet but would be very surprised if not. You can watch channels on another transponder from the one you are recording. Would be hoping that you can record and watch channels on the same DVB-T Mux also.
    So the terrestrial tuner is now available... while I'm seeing lots of news on firmware pros and cons and other more involved aspects.... any news on it meeting expectations for the more straight forward 'I want Ire & UK TV in one box with no subs' type of user????
    I'd be interested in experiences on whether EPG performs and the latest on the twin tuner operation. Have we found the holy grail of viewing DVB-T and recording DVB-S? (and vice versa!!) and a seamless viewing experience:)??

Also, if there are any shortfalls...... any confirmed plans to address them??
    Firmware is still in Beta and until a few people have the tuners in their possesion and have used them for a while we won't know what bugs there are and how quickly they will be sorted.
    Word is that Opensat (makers of AZBox) don't want to take firmware out of Beta until they have a very reliable and robust system, which is fair enough really.

As they say, watch this space...
    Combo tuner support only at present, twin tuner support reported to be available in the firmware release due 2nd week of August.
    jimrad wrote: »
    New version of AZbox firmware released/leaked....hop over to satdudez.just about to download and try
    jimrad
    MayoForSam wrote: »
    Still no twin tuner support, might wait for the official release and let some other folks be the guinea pigs for this one.
    Just read on SaorTV forum that you can record and watch from the same Mux with the DVB-T tuner, tried it and can confirm it works :D

Roll on the twin tuner firmware though, record from DVB-T and watch DVB-S2 :cool::D
    Does it means that twin DVB-S is working now? (watching and recording at the same time)?
    slegs wrote: »
    No, not yet.

It means that the AZBox will have 7 Day EPG for Irish Terrestrial and 7 Day EPG for UK FTA Freesat in one seamless guide. This is a huge step forward in Combo box technology.

Also, it is confirmed that the AZBox DVB-T DTT tuner can do watch one record another on the same MUX.

What cant be done yet is watch one record another on two different tuners whether they are DVB-T/DVB-S2 or DVB-S2/DVB-S2. In fact the DVB-S2/DVB-S2 combination is not supported until a future firmware drop.

This is expected to be sorted in the coming weeks.
    Speculation like this seems to occur every 6~8weeks, admittedly it's not being helped by Opensat's lack of communication although they did quash rumours with a press release about 3 months back.

Every few weeks we get new firmware that improves the box no end, the box is still in development, let's wait and see what happens next...
    Thanks from: shinobi

Lads. The emperor has no clothes.

Whats the use of trying to deny now that the expectation of most posters here was for properly integrated DVB-T/DVB-S kit. Without the implied and stated Opensat intention, there are other boxes to just go out there and pick up in the shops. No need to wait around with bated breath.
    Or to buy a box with the expectation that a firmware update was going to deliver, only to find that its a hardware update thats needed. For hardware update read Premium+.
    Me, I'm not too bothered. I've held off and will buy a box that has the features I need, not one that promises them some time in the future.
    In the meantime, don't take it too personally. Including the Azbox cheerleaders in this thread.... we've all been let down and mislead.

Lads. The emperor has no clothes.

Whats the use of trying to deny now that the expectation of most posters here was for properly integrated DVB-T/DVB-S kit. Without the implied and stated Opensat intention, there are other boxes to just go out there and pick up in the shops. No need to wait around with bated breath.
    Or to buy a box with the expectation that a firmware update was going to deliver, only to find that its a hardware update thats needed. For hardware update read Premium+.
    Me, I'm not too bothered. I've held off and will buy a box that has the features I need, not one that promises them some time in the future.
    In the meantime, don't take it too personally. Including the Azbox cheerleaders in this thread.... we've all been let down and mislead.

Nobody you have quoted has posted here since the news........and as I said it wasnt top of my list at all.......

Firmware 0.3877 available to download from the Azbox, no idea of whats in the changelog.

AZBox Beta Firmware: 0.9.3877
    for AZBox Premium HD+ & AZBox Premium HD & AZBox Elite HD

Código:
    _____ _____ _____
    | _ |__ | __ |___ _ _
    | | __| __ -| . |_'_|
    Welcome to AZBOX | Welcome to AZBOX

AZBox HD Firmware - rev. 0.9.3877
    (2009.11.20)

RELEASE NOTES
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

# FIXED
    ========

- Redraw routine for subtitle when the drawing fails.

- Corrected an issue when some movies are restarting play in Movie player.

- Corrected the continues play bug in Music Player.

- Corrected the large artwork bug in Music Player.

- Corrected an audio play bug when using Photo Slide Show

- Corrected the duration time issue in Movie Player.

- Corrected a bug regarding the single EPG.

- Corrected some bugs regarding photo viewer (zoom in/out, rotation, move, etc.)

- Corrected a problem related to the bookmark function and high bitrate movies.

- Corrected a problem with the play time in YouTube.

- Corrected a VFD problem regarding accent characters

- Corrected a problem when some GUI elements were overlapping (TV module).

# ADDED
    ========

- Added the ability to delete a group of channels in the channel manager.

- Added some setup functions in the movie player.

- Added language selection in teletext.

- Added the 'all' option in the backup/restore feature

- Added a jump key in File Manager.

- Added a possibility to show the play or remaining time in the VFD.

- Added more GMT offsets

- Added 480i video resolution for component and HDMI video output.

# IMPROVED
    ===========

- Increased the channel zapping speed

- Better detection of the duration time of MP3 files (when file includes artwork).

- Increased the video quality by correcting the mosaic problem at movie player.

- Changed the PAT parser on media player to ensure the stability when parsing multiple PIDs.

- Modified the channel manager to close when a channel was selected.

- Insert some additional info at the recording buffer header.

- Modified the TS parser to extract the exact time from PTS (Movie Player).

- Modified the plug-in message queue for better synchronization and speed.

Best Regards,
    The OpenSAT/AZBox Team

Meh - EURO_EPG plugin is now borked.

Looks like i picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue...

Nobody you have quoted has posted here since the news........

And what exactly would you like me to say, that I lied? I did post things that turned out to be not true, so what? I was wrong, I'm a big boy, it's not like I can't admit it.

The fact is that I, too, am disappointed with this news and it does mean that this box doesn't tick EVERY single box.

BUT it is still a great box and does so much other boxes do not, in fact by far and away it is still the best value DVB-T/DVB-S Combo box out there and this is my third one.

And yes, I am thinking about getting a Premium+...

And what exactly would you like me to say, that I lied? I did post things that turned out to be not true, so what? I was wrong, I'm a big boy, it's not like I can't admit it.

The fact is that I, too, am disappointed with this news and it does mean that this box doesn't tick EVERY single box.

BUT it is still a great box and does so much other boxes do not, in fact by far and away it is still the best value DVB-T/DVB-S Combo box out there and this is my third one.

Gtg.
    I wasnt knocking you, just trying to explain to johndoc that nobody he had quoted had posted on this thread since the news came out........
    Totally agree with you btw.........

Me too!!

Hooray, bug finally fixed that allows WMA's to be played :D

Still testing other stuff...

• Advertisement

Some improvements, but I think I'll be going back to previous FW until EPG is fixed.

Advertisement