Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUPER TUESDAY! Budget discussion thread MERGED

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Link? All I can find is Irish urged not to cut overseas aid...

It's on the official Dept. of Finance budget page.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

K-9 wrote: »
    It's on the official Dept. of Finance budget page.

Thanks. I managed to read that now. Didn't hear him mention it yesterday. However I read in a link that a cut of €95m was made in October which accounted for about 10% of overseas aid. That leaves about €755m still from my maths ( I may be wrong.. will continue searching)

Just another reason why I'm glad I don't smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Citizens

Something fishy is going on I tells ya

With the cuts to the Department of Defence, it's all of the Spanish fishing trawlers that are encroaching on our territorial waters.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Thanks. I managed to read that now. Didn't hear him mention it yesterday. However I read in a link that a cut of €95m was made in October which accounted for about 10% of overseas aid. That leaves about €755m still from my maths ( I may be wrong.. will continue searching)

You might argue it's still too much, but it is a big cut. That would be a 20% odd cut and no doubt more to come. It's an easy politically convenient option.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I think the whole god-damn budget was a frackin' non-funny joke.
    Fianna Fail (and the spineless, lying Greens that is amazingly still propping them up) are taking the piss and quietly laughting into their drinks at the dail bar as they continue the farce that they are running called "Our Government".

The wife has been on at me for some time that indeed, its time to abandon ship.
    I argued A LOT (wanting, trying to stay loyal to Ireland and its decent people) against it till now.
    Sadly, the complacent sheep of Ireland just will continue to take the crap being dished out.

I am now as of yesterday looking for a way to move my family and my business out of this country.
    I am not the first and I sure as hell will not be the last.

That is a damn shame - a big damn shame - but as the useless lying money/expenses grabbing scumbags are still allowed to perpetuate in the Dail (only 12 have taken pay cuts themselves! Talk about not leading by example!) and rarely occasionally turn up there and actually be where they should be more often, the sad farce that is Irish politics will continue unabated and the rest of us will continue to pay for their luxury homes, cars, perks and junkets.

K-9 wrote: »
    You might argue it's still too much, but it is a big cut. That would be a 20% odd cut and no doubt more to come. It's an easy politically convenient option.

It is still too much. In the current situation, anything is too much. I won't get into a huge argument over it, it was simply the point pulled out of my original post by others but for example people complain we are spending too much on dole payments but we are giving the equivalent of 72,600 yearly dole payments to overseas aid. Crazy.

Another way of breaking it down is if you took the 2% income levy minimum wage workers are paying it would take 2,127,359 minimum wage earners levies just to pay this. Therefore we could easily get rid of that levy on minimum wage at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

Great site, thank you!

Net Take Home Pay 2009 Post Budget vs. 2009 Pre Budget €-26.54 (weekly).

Yeah...so about -100€/month :(

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

I know the budget is a kick in the ass for most people and there are still a lot of people slipping through the net and getting away with a lot. But the reasoning behind it is simple.

If you're diving further and further into debt, there comes a point when monetary stimulus ceases to be stimulating
    If the markets believe that the public finances are out of control, they demand a higher and higher return for buying government debt. And a higher interest rate for government borrowing means higher rates for everyone else as well. So, the negative impact of that rise in borrowing costs may more than outweigh the positive effect of extra government borrowing. Debt cannot rise indefinitely without raising doubts about the ability to repay. So countries would stop lending to us and we would go broke!

Thanks counting crows for the tax calculator. Down about the ton a month as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Biggins wrote: »
    I think the whole god-damn budget was a frackin' non-funny joke.
    Fianna Fail (and the spineless, lying Greens that is amazingly still propping them up) are taking the piss and quietly laughting into their drinks at the dail bar as they continue the farce that they are running called "Our Government".

The wife has been on at me for some time that indeed, its time to abandon ship.
    I argued A LOT (wanting, trying to stay loyal to Ireland and its decent people) against it till now.
    Sadly, the complacent sheep of Ireland just will continue to take the crap being dished out.

I am now as of yesterday looking for a way to move my family and my business out of this country.
    I am not the first and I sure as hell will not be the last.

That is a damn shame - a big damn shame - but as the useless lying money/expenses grabbing scumbags are still allowed to perpetuate in the Dail (only 12 have taken pay cuts themselves out of what, 500+ ? Talk about not leading by example!) and rarely occasionally turn up there and actually be where they should be more often, the sad farce that is Irish politics will continue unabated and the rest of us will continue to pay for their luxury homes, cars, perks and junkets.

Adama wouldn't run away....

• Advertisement

Adama wouldn't run away....

No. He'd shoot the fcukers! :mad:
    I don't have that option ...yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

We need some responsible reporting on this budget. My young nieces were very upset last night but didn't tell their mother what was wrong until this morning. They had heard on the telly that "the tshock cancelled Father Christmas".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

the spirit of cromwell is alive and well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Ireland = welfare state.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭Aseth

Why when we need to save money the goverment always starts with citizens? Why not start with themselves? Can anyone tell me why member of a Dail needs a salary bigger than 100k pa(which is lot anyway)? Especially they get their money back for transport, have subsidized cantine and can claim other expences as well? It surely is a d@mn big amount of money for someone who's not doing anything except going for meetings, scr*wing the economy and our lives :/

Aseth wrote: »
    Why when we need to save money the goverment always starts with citizens? Why not start with themselves? Can anyone tell me why member of a Dail needs a salary bigger than 100k pa(which is lot anyway)? Especially they get their money back for transport, have subsidized cantine and can claim other expences as well? It surely is a d@mn big amount of money for someone who's not doing anything except going for meetings, scr*wing the economy and our lives :/

Because there are roughly 166 people in the dail and 4 million not.
    You'll get more by taxing that 4 million than by making pointless, populist cuts into TD wages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

I wonder how much of a percentage of the posters here are actual breadwinners, especialy the ones that were saying it wasnt hard enough or it should have hurted even more.

Perhaps some of you should have a discussion in your family home with your mom and dad, and start supporting your parents with selling your Xbox360 or your PS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Wook wrote: »
    start supporting your parents with selling your Xbox360 or your PS3.

I don't want to live in a world without high definition consoles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

SheroN wrote: »
    Ireland = welfare state.

I wouldn't say so with england next door to us.

However I'm pleased with the government for halving welfare for the under 20s :) i took my first trip to the dole office yesterday to support a friend who had to sign on and I must say that I ran into half my class in there :\

+1 (Im out of thanks and ya made me laugh!)

• Advertisement

*hugs his Wii*

Standard Def for the Win!

1080i FTW!

DrumSteve wrote: »
    1080i FTW!

Sir, i challenge you to a format war, in the old navy tradition.
    Industry standards at dawn.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

ISO! ISO! ISO! ISO! ISO! ISO! ISO! ISO! ISO!

Sir, i challenge you to a format war, in the old navy tradition.
    Industry standards at dawn.

Challenge accepted. because of my clearer picture my accuracy will be better and you sir, will find yourself with a mid-priced flatscreen lodged somewhere between your jaw and your duodenum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Apparently the levys will be made permanent in the next budget. Just because they can.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0408/budget.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭nohopengn

We all have to take the pain in the budget. Why then didn't the gov introduce a tax using the pro-rata percentage model e.g.
    €17,500 = 2%
    €35,000 = 4%
    €70,000 = 8%
    €140,000 = 16%
    €280,000 = 32%

This would indeed be painful for all, would generate more funds and would be seen internationally as a government who were prepared to take the hard decisions.

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Challenge accepted. because of my clearer picture my accuracy will be better and you sir, will find yourself with a mid-priced flatscreen lodged somewhere between your jaw and your duodenum.

Jokes on you my good fellow, i lost my duodenum in the VHS/betamax wars.

Is there anyone actually fooled by these "levy's"?

The government wants to cut down on the use of the word "tax" where possible so they try this minor PR wording stunt.

The only people they are fooling is themselves - but then given their low mental capacity - that comes as no surprise!

"A rose by any other name is still a rose" - or in this case a nettle ...and we all get stung!

• Advertisement

Jokes on you my good fellow, i lost my duodenum in the VHS/betamax wars.

hmmm you got lucky... this time.
    next time ill aim for the spleen.

Advertisement