Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2009 Regular Season Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Damn the St Louis Cardinals damn them to hell

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭actwithoutwords

Hynzie wrote: »
    More injuries for the Mets. Cant wait for this season to be over. What a disaster!!

A disaster indeed. I was at the first game against the Cards last week. The crowd giving it the Mexican wave in the eighth. Rodriguez blows the save in the ninth, and then Pujols' grand slam in the tenth. Embarrassing stuff. There was barely anyone left in the stadium by the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cmurphy8

Hey guys, anyone been to any games at the new citifield or new yankee stadium?
    what are they like? any other games attended this year? i haven't been in years

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Not been to either of the new NYC stadiums but I hope to get there before the season is out....actually 6 weeks left so it'll probably be next year now. Have been to Toronto for a couple and Boston for one this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

M007 wrote: »
    yeah checkin for tickets on stub hub the tickets for bleachers are around 100. Think i'll wait for monday- same tickets are goin for 11. I know it won't be the same class of game but just want to see the new stadium really.

I hope for your sake you paid the money. They were 4 crackin games. I paid 100 dollars for a bleacher seat to the 15 inning game. Man did I get my moneys worth on that ticket :P
    cmurphy8 wrote: »
    Hey guys, anyone been to any games at the new citifield or new yankee stadium?
    what are they like? any other games attended this year? i haven't been in years

Yeah just back from both, both are top drawer stadiums. Really really well laid out and eye catching all-around. One of them has an actual team playing too ;)

Special mention to the phillies fans!! Atmosphere at Citizens bank was unreal. Atmosphere at a rockies game there rivaled sox-yanks.

• Advertisement

Mad_Max wrote: »
    I hope for your sake you paid the money. They were 4 crackin games. I paid 100 dollars for a bleacher seat to the 15 inning game. Man did I get my moneys worth on that ticket :P

Yeah just back from both, both are top drawer stadiums. Really really well laid out and eye catching all-around. One of them has an actual team playing too ;)

Special mention to the phillies fans!! Atmosphere at Citizens bank was unreal. Atmosphere at a rockies game there rivaled sox-yanks.

Its not their fault, they could open their own hospital with the amount of guys on the DL.
    As atmosphere goes, Fenway ftw!

zuutroy wrote: »
    Its not their fault, they could open their own hospital with the amount of guys on the DL.
    As atmosphere goes, Fenway ftw!

Caught a few games there too, great atmosphere alright but genuinely thought philly game was amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Youkilis, Porcello suspended for five games

jesus scary day last night!! Wright and Kinsler take fastballs to the head and kuroda takes a screaming liner off the nut..kuroda's was the scariest imo. How he was still conscious i'll never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Anyone see Vlad's 1st hit vs. the Orioles the other night?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cmurphy8

yeah its getting out of control, someone might get killed but they're bringing in these new helmets, you can see them at: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/16/weekinreview/16sports.html
    Plus i think fernando cabera's beaning of kinsler on saturday night was intentional and malicous, plus what do you guys think of varitek being unable to throw any baserunners out trying to steal any more, the rangers were 8/8 for on him on saturday. is this guy finished defensively? possibly as a hitter too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭Hynzie

cmurphy8 wrote: »
    yeah its getting out of control, someone might get killed but they're bringing in these new helmets, you can see them at: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/16/weekinreview/16sports.html
    Plus i think fernando cabera's beaning of kinsler on saturday night was intentional and malicous, plus what do you guys think of varitek being unable to throw any baserunners out trying to steal any more, the rangers were 8/8 for on him on saturday. is this guy finished defensively? possibly as a hitter too!

Yeah apparently they can withstand a 100mph fastball the current ones can only handle about 70. Wrights teammate Jeff Francoeur already said he wont wear them because they look ugly. I believe he said 'I dont want to look like a clown'. Im sure his tune would change if he got drilled in the head and suffered some of the consequences. Lets hope they get this sorted.

Unassisted Triple Play last night. 2nd time ever that a game ended on one, 3rd season during which there has been both a perfect game and a unassisted triple play.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Optimus Caesar

Damn the St Louis Cardinals damn them to hell

LOL. Go Cards.

The poor Cubbies will have to wait another year :D

Great trades by Cardinals front office. Division looks safe. Yankees/Cardinals World Series.

So santana's done for the year. Gives the Mets a pretty impressive DL though in fairness :)

Beltran, Delgado, Wright, Santana, Reyes, Putz, Maine. There's not a team in baseball that could take that amount of injuries.

Into september now and MVP chat is warming up. Who you guys think should win?

For the NL I think it's all done bar the shouting and Pujols has it in the bag.

Though to be fair i'll throw in another name. I think Lincecum is worth a shout too even if pitchers rarely win it. Without him the giants are probably at least another 5 games back at least and wouldn't have a chance at the wildcard.

The AL I think will be much tougher. For me theres Mauer,Teixeria,Jeter and Miguel Cabrera.

I havent heard a lot of calls for cabrera but he's hitting .335 with 27 homers and 82 rbi and is playing a much better defence for the Tigers. For me he's one of the main players in their run at the division.

While Mauer has been outstanding I think Tex will win it but I really want Jeter to get the nod. He's been on an absolute tear for what seems like forever and in spite of his age and defensive deficiencies, is playing his best defence in years.

What you guys think?

Agree with you on the NL front. Pujols 100%.

I really don't know for the AL. I play MLB 2K9 too much, and keep thinking Papi is on for a 60 homer year. :(

No one really jumps off the page in the AL. I don't think Jeter is in with a shot and Teix is having a 'standard' slugger year with 30/100 thats little better than Morneau. Aaron Hill has been great for Toronto but he's just one tier below the elite. Has to be Mauer imo. 1000+ ops and catching 100+ games is great going.

I'd agree with you on Hill too. The only thing is the team around him and the same with Mauer. I think all things being equal it'd be Mauer's without any question but the votes normally go to someone who makes the post-season.

I don't think Jeter will win it either myself but I personally think he's been the mvp of the yanks so he should be our nominee so to speak.

I think Cy young's should be Lincecum and Greinke without a doubt. I seriously hope the voters dont put any weight into W's when it comes to Greinke.

Anyone else have a feeling that Buehrle might get something? His season hasn't exactly been great since consecutive out #45, but that may be overlooked, I suspect.

Morneau might be in with a shot in the AL.

Cy Youngs to Lincecum and Greinke, for single handedly saving their teams from embarassment.

• Advertisement

Toulousain wrote: »
    Anyone else have a feeling that Buehrle might get something? His season hasn't exactly been great since consecutive out #45, but that may be overlooked, I suspect.

Morneau might be in with a shot in the AL.

Cy Youngs to Lincecum and Greinke, for single handedly saving their teams from embarassment.

Nah can't see Buerhle getting anything, well certainly not an MVP/Cy Young anyway. He's had a fairly average season and as per his norm he's falling off towards the end.

I would have said Kansas are embarrassing even with Greinke ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Kinda32

I think everyone can agree Albert for NL MVP.. As for the AL MVP, i reckon it should be Mauer with honourable mentions to Cabrera, Texiera, Hill, Morales and Jeter (for both offense and defence!!)..

As for Cy young, it's going to be very close i think.. Lincecum i think for NL Cy with Carpenter and Wainwright close behind.. As for the AL its probably between Greinke and Felix with honourable to Verlander.. However, knowing the strange voting it may be CC that gets the award (good year but not as deserving as other 3..)

Sick of it now...Can we get to March please?! Worst season ever as a Jays' fan.

Sick of it now...Can we get to March please?! Worst season ever as a Jays' fan.

Yes, March is always a good time for you.. lots of optimism!!!! I hope for your sake that doc will still be there though.. could be a long year otherwise..

jays - yanks game should be a nice pitching duel, doc with a nice quick first

Kinda32 wrote: »
    Yes, March is always a good time for you.. lots of optimism!!!! I hope for your sake that doc will still be there though.. could be a long year otherwise..

Pff dont be ridiculous...2010 is the year for contention :rolleyes:

Pff dont be ridiculous...2010 is the year for contention :rolleyes:

yes yes, first time i've heard that from ye Jays fans!! I'll stick with 09 for the time being, still of interest for me!!

maybe not a pitching duel.. Joba gives up 2 so far in the first..

They had his number last time out. Hill and Lind have developed into great hitters.

They had his number last time out. Hill and Lind have developed into great hitters.

Yeah, two very very good hitters.. Had hill in most of my fantasy teams.. Was a big sleeper of mine, got him in late rounds in most leagues and its paid off big time.. Hadn't heard too much of Lind before this year but he's impressed every game i've seen..

p.s think Snider will do alot better next year too.. was asking alot from the kid to be a star this year.. am still shocked about Rios though, had him pegged to be a star for the next few years but he's been horrible.. His start with the white sox has been terrible too.. saying that now, he'll prob hit a couple of homers tonight against byrd and the sox

• Advertisement

Doc is dealing.. 6 up 6 down... He's a joy to watch pitch (except when he's pitching against the sox of course!!), works to a lovely quick tempo and goes right after hitters

Advertisement