Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2009 Regular Season Discussion Thread

Options
  • 03-04-2009 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭

OK, I couldn't wait any longer to start it! gogogogog :D

BlueJays to be this year's Tampa imo.

I'm going to Toronto in 3 weeks when they're playing the O's. Should get to 2 out of the 3 games. GF might get a little annoyed if we go to all 3 :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭ADTR

Toronto have an awesome starting rotation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Hmmm if by awesome you mean completely unproven then yes!

Halladay speaks for himself.
    Litsch is OK.
    Purcey and Romero are potentially fantastic but could easily be duds. Romero has shown a tendency to leave the ball up an awful lot.
    Scott Richmond won't be around for long imo. I would've went with Matt Clement.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭WATPOAE

Don't have any expectatinons this year, with those awful injuries to Marcum and McGowan we're going to struggle unless Romero or Purcey surprise an awful lot of people.

I think the hitting will come together this year for some strange reason, I can't see Wells having a third straight dud year. If him and Rios get it going this year things could get interesting. Also, Scott Rolen has been hammering the ball in spring training and looks in fantastic shape compared to last year. Can't say the same for Lyle Overbay, seems to be stuck in a perpetual slow motion rut. He's a talented hitter but needs to snap out of it sooner than later.

Also, look out for possibly great things from Travis Snider and Adam Lind, our hopefully future cornerstones in the outfield. Snider looks to be the real deal (and why I've drafted him in my fantasy league!).

Whatever happens, just glad baseball is back from tonight! Roll on summer!!

Wow...I literally haven't seen Overbay's name written once this Spring. I forgot he even existed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Yeah, I'm waiting to see how Snider goes this year, he could be huge. The most I'm gonna get this summer is a single A game when I'm back in Vancouver, at best. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

Stayed up to watch first few innings of that game last night, God myers was muck!!!

McCanns homer was a beast!! nice way to start the season.

Anyone know what the story is with Jordan Schafer?? They said he missed some of last year for breaking drug policies. I hadn't heard of this.. was it steroids/hgh or was it just something over the counter that was banned? would be sad to see someone caught before they even had their major league at bat!

Cant wait for yanks tonight!!!! :)

zuutroy wrote: »
    Hmmm if by awesome you mean completely unproven then yes!

Halladay speaks for himself.
    Litsch is OK.
    Purcey and Romero are potentially fantastic but could easily be duds. Romero has shown a tendency to leave the ball up an awful lot.
    Scott Richmond won't be around for long imo. I would've went with Matt Clement.

Oops! I didn't know Marcum and McGowan were still on DL.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

Fenway was rained out earlier today, so Boston - Tampa Bay is postponed. They play next game tomorrow at 4.05pm EST (9.05pm Irish).

There are four games in progress as we speak;
    Rockies 6 D'backs 6 - bot 4
    Yankees 0 Orioles 0 - top 3
    Nationals 0 Marlins 5 - bot 3
    Pirates 0 Cards 2 - top 4

The Blue Jays make their season debut tonight in the Rogers Centre against the Tigers, and apparently it's sold out, with Doc taking the mound. Will be interesting to see how they start off.

Remaining games later are Cubs @ Astros, Dodgers @ Padres, Mariners @ Twins and A's @ Angels.

Streaming information:

http://myp2p.eu/competition.php?competitionid=&part=sports&discipline=baseball

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Cubbies going all the way this year! Go cubbies! Woot Woot!!

lol....100 years ago called....They want their March proclamation back :P

• Advertisement

Good start to proceedings...one more inning and bed I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭dramabob

A good start to the Mets season, methinks.

Mets 2 Reds 1

For a change, I was able to watch a close game getting handed over to the Mets bullpen without having heart palpitations.

After the clusterf*cks/implosions of the past two straight Septembers, will this be the year the Mutts make it back to the post-season?

Oh, and didn't Citi Field look nice in those games against the Red Sox? From someone who spent a fair bit of time squished into the seats at Shea, it looks like a breath of fresh air...

GO METS!

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

lol....100 years ago called....They want their March proclamation back :P

The ESPN/Fox announcers need to find another narrative before the non-Cubs fans get as sick of this crap as us. There's plenty for the knowledgeable fan to talk about, from Milton Bradley's signing to Fukudome's fall from grace to Piniella's obvious impact to Harden's dodgy shoulder.

I know it will probably take not one, but two WS appearances (if not championships) to make it stop, but here's hoping you all get bored with that angle.....

/defensive mode

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

Cubbies going all the way this year! Go cubbies! Woot Woot!!

As good of a chance as anyone else in the NL, for sure!!

Mariners off to a flyer.

Yeah, but don't get carried away! One Griffey homer does not a season make, and Ichiro's on the DL for the first time in his career...

dramabob wrote: »
    Yeah, but don't get carried away! One Griffey homer does not a season make, and Ichiro's on the DL for the first time in his career...

It's just nice for all the pieces to click on Opening Day. I'm sure another last place finish is forth coming. I can't see them competing with the A's and Angel's this season.

Fair point - sometimes those pieces keep on clicking (see: 2001 season), and unfortunately, sometimes they don't (see: most seasons since).

Altho I do have a soft spot for the Mariners, I'll admit. Enough with the A's and Angels - give someone else a shot!

See this is why being back in Ireland sucks. Its bedtime, but the Jays game stars in 15 mins so I'm tempted. When I lived in Belgium that extra hour ruled out watching it completely!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

super hapy with the red sox last night, delighted to see beckett off to a flyer too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭dingbat

See this is why being back in Ireland sucks. Its bedtime, but the Jays game stars in 15 mins so I'm tempted. When I lived in Belgium that extra hour ruled out watching it completely!
    My sleep patterns are always in ruins during baseball season... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Great start from the Braves!
    Go Chipper

*chants from the stands*

"...lar-ry...lar-ry...lar-ry..."

Sorry VinylJunkie, couldn't resist!

very excited about my first look at the red sox in a few minutes. Lester v Kazmir should make this very exciting.

red sox were poor last night lester started very well then it all kinda went crazy in the 5th. what a comeback from the phillies though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

Mariners now 2-2:). Not bad.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

Wow, Terrible stuff with the young angels pitcher, adenhart, dying last night. Jeez after throwing 6 shutout innings to get killed in a car crash!

Some guy ran a red light and ended up killing 3 people and critically injured 1 and then legged it... hope he gets some serious porridge!!

Mad_Max wrote: »
    Wow, Terrible stuff with the young angels pitcher, adenhart, dying last night. Jeez after throwing 6 shutout innings to get killed in a car crash!

Some guy ran a red light and ended up killing 3 people and critically injured 1 and then legged it... hope he gets some serious porridge!!

Yeah horrible news! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 37,527 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Papelbon is a legend. Puts you through the ringer but still gets it done. :)

• Advertisement

Hope Braves keep this form going they have a solid pitching order!

Advertisement