Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2009 Boards.ie Draft (Discussion and Reaction)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,178 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    I dont think he is risking his main event, it depends on how he shapes his card to be. On a WWE event level, Sabin v Shelly (for example) may not be a main event draw, but then, did anyone see Cena v Bradshaw as a main event draw in 2002 either? Think about it. ;)

do you not think he could've got them a pick or two at least down the line? if he ends up shaping his card around Shelley and Sabin, and the premise for the storyline/s for them is amazing, then it's well worth him making absolutely sure he gets them.

i just think it's a risk. time will tell. as i say, i look forward to seeing how the rest of his card shapes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

SlickRic wrote: »
    do you not think he could've got them a pick or two at least down the line? if he ends up shaping his card around Shelley and Sabin, and the premise for the storyline/s for them is amazing, then it's well worth him making absolutely sure he gets them.

i just think it's a risk. time will tell. as i say, i look forward to seeing how the rest of his card shapes up.

It doesn't shape the card around Shelly/Sabin. Just because they're your first picks don't make them your main event. There's weeks of picks to go ahead before your card gets structured.

Think outside the box folks ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

It doesn't shape the card around Shelly/Sabin. Just because they're your first picks don't make them your main event. There's weeks of picks to go ahead before your card gets structured.

Think outside the box folks ;)

Exactly. the main big names and "draws" are gone. Its not a bad tractic to get the undercard guys you really want early, especially if you can set up some awesome feuds for them. Like, picking someone like Kane or JBL at this stage is no addition to anything IMHO.

fair enough. i still think there is enough out there over the 34 years for wrestling history that would have been a better first pick than Shelley/Sabin. but I'm all for being proved wrong.

I'm all for thinking outside the box. And we're all going to need to with this draft.

Look at WCW, they were a classic example of how a strong undercard can knock spots off a couple of main event players. And they were the company that nearly sent WWE into bankrupcy.

An innovative idea will win due to it's originality all the time, but only if done correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Well, the pick certainly got people talking :)

but only if done correctly.

and that's why I look forward to seeing how his card shapes up. i still think it's risky. there are 20 people in this draft vying for wrestlers.

all i'm saying is he may regret them as a first pick; just like he may throw it in all our faces in the end if he comes up with a wonderfully innovative and imaginative card.

you cannot possibly argue that it's not at all risky though.

and that's why I look forward to seeing how his card shapes up. i still think it's risky. there are 20 people in this draft vying for wrestlers.

all i'm saying is he may regret them as a first pick; just like he may throw it in all our faces in the end if he comes up with a wonderfully innovative and imaginative card.

you cannot possibly argue that it's not at all risky though.

I don't think it's risky cos he has two of the best modern day workers. I'd pick Sabin/Shelly over Hogan and Cena any day!

Sorry, but i am not a sheep that goes for the whole punch, punch, kick get beat down for 20 minutes, comeback, kick, wham finisher format every time.

And even if it WAS risky, which i genuinely don't think it is. No Risk/No Reward!

Sorry, but i am not a sheep that goes for the whole punch, punch, kick get beat down for 20 minutes, comeback, kick, wham finisher format every time.

neither am I.

and out of 34 years of workers, they're aren't many at all with that mentality. you're talking the last few years with that sort of thinking.

i agree with the 'no risk, no reward'...my only point is it's not an automatic reward just because it's 'outside the box'. as i say, time will tell.

I'm glad it's got the place talking though. it makes me look forward to the rest of this that little bit more than I already was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

Damn it anyway, Sting and MCMG were the only TNA guys I had scouted to pick, i was hoping Sting would last, but I was sure MCMG would be there in round 3!! Back to the drawing board...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Minto wrote: »
    Damn it anyway, Sting and MCMG were the only TNA guys I had scouted to pick, i was hoping Sting would last, but I was sure MCMG would be there in round 3!! Back to the drawing board...

I stated putting some thought into picks after around the halfway mark in this rd of picks but also had thought they might make a nice 3rd round draft pick if available, now hoever im thinking Tag-teams might start going in rd2 though as there are a lot less available than last year as you cant include former NWA, old ECW or TNA champs as tag partners now.

You reading this SlickRic? There's also the psychological aspect in mind. Minto's gameplan is completely shattered now. :D

You reading this SlickRic? There's also the psychological aspect in mind. Minto's gameplan is completely shattered now. :D

true.

doesn't mean my point doesn't stand though ;)

true.

doesn't mean my point doesn't stand though ;)

Nobody said it didn't, I said it was flawed, it is, and the proof has already started showing. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I'd have considered the MCMGs for my next pick. Great wrestlers. I've got plenty in mind though

Nobody said it didn't, I said it was flawed, it is, and the proof has already started showing. ;)

cool, we're in agreement so :D

both routes are flawed in their own ways.

Not really. Sure, I can't have Jericho Vs. Sting now, but whatever, I've plenty of aces up my sleve.

Not really. Sure, I can't have Jericho Vs. Sting now, but whatever, I've plenty of aces up my sleve.

You said that last year too!

You said that last year too!

False!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Perhaps it's time to make a list of who's been picked?

• Advertisement

False!

True, in fact i'm pretty sure i could pull up the MSN logs too. :D

Fozzy wrote: »
    Perhaps it's time to make a list of who's been picked?

Page 1 of the draft picks has been edited to include the list.

Query Mofo's. If both have competed in the allowed promotions but have only tagged in another promotion, are they allowed as a tag team?

gimmick wrote: »
    Query Mofo's. If both have competed in the allowed promotions but have only tagged in another promotion, are they allowed as a tag team?

PM me the team and I'll let you know! Borderline or questionable picks will be decided on a case by case basis.

PM sent. Can we add a rule as well that if you miss your first pick,you are out?

Can we add a rule as well that if you miss your first pick,you are out?

Em..NO! Ya see, missing the first pick is punishment enough as most of the main eventers will be gone, so there's no point adding insult to injury. Sorrry!

From a different angle, if you miss your first pick you aint that into the whole draft idea anyway, therefore you should be fúcked out. However, only a suggestion. Not going to cause a fuss

From a different angle, if you miss your first pick you aint that into the whole draft idea anyway, therefore you should be fúcked out. However, only a suggestion. Not going to cause a fuss

The rules are set, what is understood doesn't need to be discussed. Minto has rejected the idea, end of.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

PM sent. Can we add a rule as well that if you miss your first pick,you are out?

i think we need atleast 1 strike but we might have our first missed go if dieselqueen doesent wake up early tommorow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭OrtonViper

When does DiselQueeen loose his turn?

Advertisement