Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2009 Boards.ie Draft (Discussion and Reaction)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Bubs101 wrote: »
    If you miss it you should just be allowed to pick whenever you want. The game will flow alot better if we don't have to wait at the end of every round for those who missed their turn

Playing this in the soccer draft though like yourself I felt it was a real negative that those who couldn't be arsed picking on time, and there were a lot as you know, they could just swanny on into the thread and pick their first choice at their leisure, even ahead of those of us who had been playing the game at a good pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Yeah but if you don't have it roll than 12 hours is too short.If your on a night out and the dude before you picks at 10 you're boned .The person is only punishing themselves by dropping down the order with each pick as it means he is missing out on potential picks. If your worried people will abuse it you could implement a strikes rule

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Yeah but if you don't have it roll than 12 hours is too short.If your on a night out and the dude before you picks at 10 you're boned .The person is only punishing themselves by dropping down the order with each pick as it means he is missing out on potential picks. If your worried people will abuse it you could implement a strikes rule

Yeah I see your point. I don't mind a rolling system as there were times when it worked very smoothly in the soccer forum, I'd just be concerned that it could lead to people being lazy about picks. As you say though a strike system could deal with that.

I'd like to hear Minto's thoughts on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Jolt2007

I'm in if there's still space :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

I'll do it if there's still a spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

I agree with MNG about the misisng a pick and make it when ever you want. If your pick number 5 and we have to wait the time limit, it gives the person, who you made wait, an oppurtunity to pick the person you were going to. This serves as punishment.

Since you think 12 hours is too short, this is my proposed remedy:

24 hours to make the pick, if you miss it you wait until the end of the round and have a further 24 hours to pick (if more than one person missed a pick, then it is first come first served), if they don't draft anyone in the second 24 hour period, they lose that pick. Since we're extending the time limit, it's now 2 strikes and your gone, with your roster so far becoming re-eligible for drafting.

How do people feel about that?

We have 20!!!!!

Participants:

Mr. Nice Guy
    Minto
    Rebel Rock Chick (2008 champion)
    Bounty Hunter
    Bubs101
    Diesel Queen
    SlickRic
    orestes
    gimmick
    jayhaitch2
    Fozzy
    Comic-Book-Guy
    Furious-Red
    Flahavaj
    Cactus Col
    OrtonViper
    callaway92
    thealltimelow
    Jolt2007
    Muff Daddy

I see some names I don't recognize on the list since I've been away for almost 6 months. I'd just like to tell them (and remind the posters I do know) that the best way to keep this running smoothly is if everyone does their best to check in at least once a day. This should mean that nobody gets skipped. If you are going to be away for a few days or bogged under with exams, please PM a few choices to MNG or myself. It might be better to PM me as MNG will have college essays and exams for the next few months.

We'll do the first draw in the morning and start as soon as it's done!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Last year MNG had two threads. One for discussion of the draft, and one for the actual draft itself. I'm guessing it's the same this year, to avoid mess and what not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Last year MNG had two threads. One for discussion of the draft, and one for the actual draft itself. I'm guessing it's the same this year, to avoid mess and what not?

Good call, I definitely approve of that format again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

I'm delighted to have gotten in for this! Didn't really get the concept last year, and then watched with envy as people made their picks.

Just one quick question though, about this rule:
    Minto wrote: »

Rules:

- You can include any wrestler who works for or has worked for either WWF/E, WCW, ECW, TNA or NWA. One restriction though is that only wrestlers who debuted after 1975 are eligible. If you are picking a manager, this rule does not apply, but you cannot then have the manager as a wrestler.

Are we taking this to mean that they had to debut as a wrestler after 1975, or just start working with one of the listed companies after 1975?

Also, due to the territorial nature of the wrestling business in the 70's, a lot of wrestlers would have been working under, and holding titles, under the NWA banner, while still working in pretty small promotions.

For example, Bob Backlund debuted as a wrestler for the AWA in 1973 ... so is he out already?

He then traveled around the terrortiries working under the NWA banner, including terry funk's territory in Amarillo, Georgia Championship Wrestling, NWA Florida, and the St Louis Wrestling Club.

It wasn't until 1977 that he started wrestling for the WWWF.

• Advertisement

ShawnRaven wrote: »

Yes, thats definatly the format we'll be following this year. Makes too much sense not to!
    Cactus Col wrote: »
    Are we taking this to mean that they had to debut as a wrestler after 1975, or just start working with one of the listed companies after 1975?.

No, we take it as their actual debut. If for example you want Ric Flair, you can't have him! He debuted in 1970. I know this rule might sound a bit sucky (is that a word?), but since TNA, WCW, ECW and NWA guys are being added this year, it makes things a bit more interesting.

As far as policing this goes, we'll use wikipedia as our guide. I know it's not viewed as the most reliable source, but considering the scope of wrestlers, it's the most comprehensive source I can think of. If anyone knows an equally comprehensive, but more reliable source drop me a PM.

As far as kicking this thing off, I'll ask MNG to do the draw at his nearest convienience and as soon as he posts it, we're off!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

any room for 1 more?
    or can i go on a reserve list if not?

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    any room for 1 more?
    or can i go on a reserve list if not?

I'll put you down on the reserve list!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

cheers!!

Any chance you can put up the draw for round two so the guys at the bottom of this card could book long term if there at the top of round 2?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

was it a mistake that someone just posted the first draft pick OrtonViper going for Bret Hart or have i missed the draw being posted somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,140 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I'm pretty sure OrtonViper's made a mistake. Foolishly giving away his hand to the competitive ones amongst us. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

taxi for ortonviper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭thealltimelow

how long more now ffs

Mr Nice Guy is doing the draw. It will hopefully start as soon as he's online. Patience is a virtue here. He's obviously busy. The blood, sweat and tears that will follow the commencement will be worth the wait though.

Do a bit of planning while you wait.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭OrtonViper

Sorry, didn't realise there was a draw to see who got the picks.

OrtonViper wrote: »
    Sorry, didn't realise there was a draw to see who got the picks.

I wouldn't worry about it, it's all a bit of fun sure. Just hope you get in the first few picks and you'll be fine.

A free for all rush would be hilarious though

A free for all rush would be hilarious though

we'll try it afterwards :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

People will surprise you though I remember last year Hogan atleast argueably one of the top 3 names in Pro Wrestling ever wasnt chosen till I think no.13 when even though he aint my fav i took him cos well he was by far the biggest name left. Some will want their faves, some will want a roster full of those good on the mic, some will want to recreate former feuds and only pick wrestlers that had rivalries for their rosters, it wont just be 1-20 drafted i the order you expect.

I hope MNG doesn't mind me doing this, but since he seems to be fairly busy today and in the interest of getting this show on the road, I've done the first draw. It was pulling nunmbers out of a hat and matching them to the list of participants I posted earlier. It was done 100% at random.

First round draft order:
    01. Bubs101
    02. Fozzy
    03. Rebel Rock Chick
    04. Minto
    05. Mr. Nice Guy
    06. orestes
    07. Comic-Book-Guy
    08. Cactus Col
    09. Jolt2007
    10. Callaway92
    11. MuffDaddy
    12. SlickRic
    13. gimmick
    14. DieselQueen
    15. Furious-Red
    16. OrtonViper
    17. thealltimelow
    18. Flahavaj
    19. Bounty Hunter
    20. jayhaitch2

why number 17

why number 17

Because thats the number you were drawn! It's completly random, you could be number 1 in the next round and the 18 in the third round!

thare is draw for evary pick

• Advertisement

ugh, 12.

it may be time to implement plans B, C or D.

Advertisement