Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2009 Boards.ie Draft (Discussion and Reaction)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think it was Vince who suggested a very good idea that anyone who participated last year can't pick a wrestler they have previously picked. Makes it a bit more challenging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I think it was Vince who suggested a very good idea that anyone who participated last year can't pick a wrestler they have previously picked. Makes it a bit more challenging.

You should be allowed repeat one pick. I want Bruno again

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Personally im not too mad on that rule suggestion as rules should not give an advantage to anyone and that would help people who werent in it last time as their options wouldent be limited as apposed to people who were in it before we would be.

tbh im not too pushed on what the rules are but all the other suggestions so far id go with

• Registered Users Posts: 36,171 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

as someone who didn't participate the last time I think that advantages should not be afforded to newcomers. if people who did ti last year want to steer clear of their previous drafts' picks for the sake of challenging themselves so be it. but I think it would de-value the game as a whole slightly.

Personally im not too mad on that rule suggestion as rules should not give an advantage to anyone and that would help people who werent in it last time as their options wouldent be limited as apposed to people who were in it before we would be.

tbh im not too pushed on what the rules are but all the other suggestions so far id go with

I don't think the idea behind it was to disadvantage people but to freshen it up a bit and prevent picks from going the same way as last year.

I wouldn't pick anyone I did last year just because I'd find it too easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Fozzy wrote: »
    And Shawn, good luck with the amount of editing that you'll have to do if you want to keep up with all the rosters :pac:

Sounds like fun! Any other advice you can give me from your own experiences? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Read over the rules there, sounds like good fun!

Whens it all kickin off?

I don't think the idea behind it was to disadvantage people but to freshen it up a bit and prevent picks from going the same way as last year.

I wouldn't pick anyone I did last year just because I'd find it too easy.

I dont think in any way that was the idea behind it and i like the idea of challenging ourselves in anyway possible and making the draft different like including WCW or TNA guys but it is the one rule that could give an advantage to some.

Ill admit i would pick people i picked last year if they were the best available pick at the time as my main aim would just be to make the best possible roster i could but as i said i dont mind whatever rules are decided on.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Count me in.

I would have liked to be involved in the running of this to be honest and as I have just said via PM to Shawn I don't recall getting any messages from him about the idea of reviving the draft. Myself and Bubs were in discussions over it by PM about starting it up with summer approaching.

Right guys.
    Here's the deal

MNG wasn't gonna be able to commit fully to it until after May, because he has more important commitments.

Minto's commitments are finished and dealt with and has the time to start it up.

So rather than keep everyone waiting. Both MNG and Minto will be working with each other to present this years draft.

And if any input from me is required, like moderator edits and whatnot, then by all means, I can be contacted by MNG or Minto, for submissions and all other queries, MNG or Minto are the best guys to contact.

So without further a do... let's get this show on the road! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

Since Shaun isn't online, I may as well ask this here.

MNG, are you taking over this then?

EDIT: Whoops, look like I'd have gotten my answer if I waited a few mins!

Minto wrote: »

I was saying to SR by PM that since I've got a good bit of work to do with college I'd be happy to let you handle the techical aspects, ie the rules and all that jazz. I can help out with the draws (along with my snazzy hat) and if anyone wants to question an aspect of the game they can put it to you since you will be overseeing the thing moreso than myself.

If you need me to assist in other areas you can give me a PM. Just let me know when you need me to do the draw. :cool:

Damnit Minto, you're one impatient son of a bitch! :D
    Yes, you both have the go ahead, then you can sort out who does what amongst yerselves! :)

I was saying to SR by PM that since I've got a good bit of work to do with college I'd be happy to let you handle the techical aspects, ie the rules and all that jazz. I can help out with the draws (along with my snazzy hat) and if anyone wants to question an aspect of the game they can put it to you since you will be overseeing the thing moreso than myself.

If you need me to assist in other areas you can give me a PM. Just let me know when you need me to do the draw. :cool:

I'm all for that. I'm working on a draft of the rules right now, once I'm done I'll PM them to you and pending your approval, I'll post them here.

Ok, so far I've 13 confirmed names and one provisional.

The list so far is:

Mr. Nice Guy
    Minto
    Rebel Rock Chick (C) [confirmed]
    Bounty Hunter
    Bubs101
    Diesel Queen
    SlickRic
    orestes
    gimmick
    jayhaitch2
    Fozzy
    Comic-Book-Guy [Expressed an interest, but never said he was actually in]
    Furious-Red
    Flahavaj [Asked by ShawnRaven to include him]

Ok, so MNG has agreed to these rules, so here they are:

Rules:

- You can include any wrestler who works for or has worked for either WWF/E, WCW, ECW, TNA or NWA. One restriction though is that only wrestlers who debuted after 1975 are eligible. If you are picking a manager, this rule does not apply, but you cannot then have the manager as a wrestler.

- Like last year, no wrestler can be chosen twice so it would get trickier as the rounds go by with the big names already being selected. For example, if someone selects Stone Cold then Stone Cold is no longer available for anybody else! Obviously by the final round, the picks will be harder (and more interesting).

- Each person makes fifteen picks over fifteen rounds. One choice per round. Everyone gets their turn. Numbers are limited to 20 participants.

- Tag teams come as a package so if you want the Dudleys then you don't have to pick Bubba one round and then D-Von the next. You get them as a package. It would be up to you to decide how many tag teams you want but you need at least one team. With regards to stables, they wouldn't come as a package because it would be pretty unfair if people were choosing D-X, Evolution etc.

- With regards to tag teams, to avoid people taking two main eventers via their tag team choice, a la The Rock and Sock connection, you cannot pick a tag team where at least one of the partners went on to become a World champion. Thus choosing 'The Rock and Sock connection' or 'Edge and Christian' for example is not allowed.

To clarify a World champion refers to any wrestler who has captured the WWF/E Championship, the World Heavyweight Championship, the WCW Championship, the TNA Heavyweight Championship, the NWA Heavyweight Championship or the ECW Heavyweight Championship (original ECW, not WWECW). This means John Morrisson is NOT a World champion.

- A tag team is defined as two individuals (male or female) who have a) have tagged together at least once in a televised match, b) been together for at least 3 months(e.g. Santino and Beth Pheonix).
    However, a pick such as Trish Stratus and Lita would be discounted as they are more famous for being rivals even though they mostly satisfy the above criteria. Any ambigious picks will be at the discretion of me and MNG. In the event where we can't agree, a mod will be asked to make the pick.

- Managers and female wrestlers are eligible if people wish to pick them, but they are not required and are optional.

- I suggest leaving out commentators, at least for the time being, but if people think otherwise then we can discuss it.

- When it's your turn, you have 12 hours to make your pick. The picks will be made on the designated thread here. If you fail to pick anyone in the time limit then your turn is skipped and either myself or MNG will PM you to inform you you will have 24 hours to make your pick at the end of the round. If you fail to do so, you don't get a pick that round. Three (3) misses and your out, no exceptions or appeals. Once someone is eliminated, his roster picks become re-eligible for selection starting with the next round.

I think these should cover everything, but if anyone has any suggestions, fire away!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

Rebel Rock Chick (C) [Provisional, awaiting confirmation]

Count me in :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

And also me!

(please)

Just to clarify,are there any restrictions on the number of tag teams or last draft picks?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I think that the time limit needs a looking at. Bubs' suggestion of what happened on the soccer forum was that you get 12 hours to make your pick, but if you miss it then you can still post it as soon as possible rather than wait til the end of the round. It gives other people a chance to take their turn, but it doesn't leave anyone stuck for time, as I imagine a strict 12 hour time limit will leave a lot of people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Comic-Book-Guy [Expressed an interest, but never said he was actually in]

I will participate but there is one aspect which i am lost on.

How is a winner determined? And is it just a case of a roster is picked or is there more detail going into such as rivalries, events, etc etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭OrtonViper

I'll give this a go, count me in.

well last time after picking our rosters we each produced a card for a PPV using them then everyone voted on the best roster/card. i linked the originl thread back on page 1 of this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Put me down for this :)

I will participate but there is one aspect which i am lost on.

How is a winner determined? And is it just a case of a roster is picked or is there more detail going into such as rivalries, events, etc etc?

Good to have you on board! Last year, we each produced a card with our roster and we each voted for our favourite rosters. Winner was the person with the most votes! I was thinking of something a lil bit different for this year, but I'll have to discuss it with MNG first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Realistically the 12 hour turnaround is going to be pretty difficult for me to keep up with. Is it definitely set in stone?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Good to have you on board!

Thank you very much. :)

I'll probably become way too overly obsessed with this like i did with the fantasy roster from last year.

But in saying that... If i do, I'll could win it.
    Kinda like how i won the fantasy roster. ;)
    flahavaj wrote: »
    Realistically the 12 hour turnaround is going to be pretty difficult for me to keep up with. Is it definitely set in stone?

I agree, it might be a little tight, maybe bring it up to 18 hours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭thealltimelow

put me down

I agree, it might be a little tight, maybe bring it up to 18 hours?

If you miss it you should just be allowed to pick whenever you want. The game will flow alot better if we don't have to wait at the end of every round for those who missed their turn

• Advertisement

Bubs101 wrote: »
    If you miss it you should just be allowed to pick whenever you want. The game will flow alot better if we don't have to wait at the end of every round for those who missed their turn

this combined with the fact that id assume like last year if you think you might miss a pick you can always pm your top few choices to either MNG or Minto and they will make the pic for you would mean nobody should have to miss a round imo

Advertisement