Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi stoppage 24hour

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

so now we,re getting to the crux of why you have such a big gripe with the taxi drivers .
    a driver would,nt let you take your chips into his car :rolleyes:
    Yeah thats it {sigh} LMAO!!!!
    and now its come to drivers smoking in their cars .
    I suppose yis will deny that happens as well
    look someone else posted
    "leave them alone they,ll soon burn themselves out "
    may i suggest you do that .because i dont think that anything i say or the other drivers who are here will ever change your mind .
    you seem to be dead cert on not liking taxi drivers .
    and if we are such a bad lot then may i suggest that you vote with your feet [pardon the pun]
    then you and your chips will get home without the blood pressure rising .
    My blood pressure isn't rising . If anything the drivers here are just proving my point that you are in denial about everything.
    You seriousally belive you are entitled to everything & everyone else is wrong...
    Lads turn off the servers , lock the doors & close down boards, there's no point is arguing the taxi drivers are right & the rest of us are wrong. Its all my fault. I got the government to issue loads or plates I started the recession & I have put a contract out on all the Taxi drivers all because one driver with a smelly smokie cab wouldn't bring me & me chip home LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    PS I shot JFK as well & JR

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

ntlbell wrote: »
    I wouldn't go in and setup as a butcher as there is 3 fighting it out I would see it as a bad business opportunity

The same reason I wouldn't get a taxi plate right as it would be a bad business decision.

Now the point is, your in the business, now you either stay in it and take out what you can or you use the noggin and work out if it's worth your while looking at a different venture.

why is this so difficult for you to understand?

That is the best statement on this thread .. Well put!!!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭lost marbles

koolkid wrote: »
    Yeah thats it {sigh} LMAO!!!!

I suppose yis will deny that happens as well

My blood pressure isn't rising . If anything the drivers here are just proving my point that you are in denial about everything.
    You seriousally belive you are entitled to everything & everyone else is wrong...
    Lads turn off the servers , lock the doors & close down boards, there's no point is arguing the taxi drivers are right & the rest of us are wrong. Its all my fault. I got the government to issue loads or plates I started the recession & I have put a contract out on all the Taxi drivers all because one driver with a smelly smokie cab wouldn't bring me & me chip home LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    PS I shot JFK as well & JR
    ill leave you with the last work on that so .
    [btw you went off on abit of a ramble there ]

i

ill leave you with the last work on that so

:D:p Ahhh Thanks

:D:p Ahhh Thanks
    your welcome .as your mindset will never change ,so theres no point in me trying to educate any further .:D

• Advertisement

your mindset will never change ,so theres no point in me trying to educate any further .:D

Hmmm perfect candidate for to drive a taxi... Where do I go for one of those licences. Theres great money to be made now while all the full timers are on strike LOL :p

Hmmm perfect candidate for to drive a taxi... Where do I go for one of those licences. Theres great money to be made now while all the full timers are on strike LOL :p
    by all means do so theres nothing stopping you and you ask where do you go to get a licence .
    jeeze thats not like you .come on now! your the one who knows everything about the taxi industry you should have known that .

we used to have one of those little yapper terrier dogs .
    when he got something into his head he yapped and yapped and barked and barked .
    used to make himself hoarse .even when that other dog was well gone he,ed keep on and on .there was no telling him .

just a memory that came into my head there
    fore some strange reason

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

murphaph wrote: »
    TV3 news showed a lad just about to boot the side of a VW Passat until he realised there was a TV camera behind him and he pulled back at the last second from damaging the man's car. I presume this wasn't isolated stuff. Thuggery.

Actualy if you look at this clip from the Tv3 news,

( not commenting on the Elvis lookalike or his comments ) but check out 1 min 03 sec in, clearly shows the man you mention being struck by the car on the leg, now I don't know or pretend to know what the conversation preceding this was, but TBH if it was me being assaulted with a car I'd not pull back at the last second because of a TV camera....

I wouldn't go in and setup as a butcher as there is 3 fighting it out I would see it as a bad business opportunity

The same reason I wouldn't get a taxi plate right as it would be a bad business decision.

Now the point is, your in the business, now you either stay in it and take out what you can or you use the noggin and work out if it's worth your while looking at a different venture.

why is this so difficult for you to understand?

And if your in a business where the regulations are wrong and unjust you'd protest, what's so difficult for you to understand....

Temporary Moritorium on plates and total review of the industry

by all means do so theres nothing stopping you and you ask where do you go to get a licence .
    jeeze thats not like you .come on now! your the one who knows everything about the taxi industry you should have known that .

we used to have one of those little yapper terrier dogs .
    when he got something into his head he yapped and yapped and barked and barked .
    used to make himself hoarse .even when that other dog was well gone he,ed keep on and on .there was no telling him .

just a memory that came into my head there
    fore some strange reason

Insulting me insted of answering the arguments put to you really justs shows that
    1) You can not argure any of the points put to you
    2) You debating skills really need some work...
    Spook_ie wrote: »
    And if your in a business where the regulations are wrong and unjust you'd protest, what's so difficult for you to understand....
    Whats so difficult for you to understand..??
    Again I ask the same question
    Why should taxi drivers be singled out for special treatment?
    What other industry would be given protection from competition because they cant hack it in the business.
    Have taxi drivers ever not had something to cry about?
    When ye had it good ye wern't happy ye complained about the hackneys, now the hackneys wen't & got taxi plates. Now your complaining about the part timers, You should be gratefull they are only part time , if they all went full time you would be complaining more..
    You clearly cant make a living at this, and judging by your website, you dont really have the attitude for anything that involves dealing with the public.
    I'll try make this as simple as I can.
    You are self employed in a free market, competition is part of the economy we live in. The state is not responsible for your business, YOU ARE. Try to be a good business man & evaluate your situation. If you are not making a profit then either alter your business or get out!!!!
    Business open & close every day thats life . Thank god the majority of the country don't have the mentality of the taxi drivers or we would be surrounded by protests.

• Advertisement

I'm pretty sure I've met him at some point, he seemed very Irish to me.
    I'm pretty sure that I'm not Irish, let me just check, nope definately not Irish...:cool:

Interesting!!!
    So could it be that he has availed of one of the licences that came available since deregulation?? And now once he's sorted he want's the door closed on everyone else.

I would like to ask Spook to state publically here if he condones such racist comments & if not to publically denounce such behaviour here.

Ask and thy wish will be granted....

I condemn racism and having been on the receiving end of it know what I'm talking about.

It usualy starts with little quips like yours at the top and escalates upwards, by meaning your quip, the assumation that you appear to be making that seeing as I'm a NN that I've only been in Ireland since deregulation of the Taxi Industry

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Temporary Moritorium on plates and total review of the industry

If by unjust you mean I COULD open that butchers and anyone else could open one after me then I fail to see the injustice

can you explain why it is?

I'm pretty sure that I'm not Irish, let me just check, nope definately not Irish...:cool:

apologies I was mistaken you for spooky

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Spook are you that english guy who was interviewed during the protests a few weeks back?

I condemn racism and having been on the receiving end of it know what I'm talking about.
    And yet you allow it on your website:confused::confused:
    Condems it but at the same time does nothing to prevent it..
    If you are against racism I suggest you show it publically by removing those raciest comments from your site & banning the users responsible..
    the assumation that you appear to be making that seeing as I'm a NN that I've only been in Ireland since deregulation of the Taxi Industry
    How is asking a question an assumption.??? Thats why the question marks are at the end so you know its a question:p
    I made no assumptions
    Why dont you answer the questions insted of clouding the issues with wild accusations?

Again I ask the same questions...
    What other industry would be given protection from competition because they cant hack it in the business.?

Anyway did you have a taxi plate prior to deregulation?

Please note the question marks so you know I am not making assumptions..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I have seen posts written by Spook_ie both on his taxi forum and on boards and think he has spoken out clearly against and moderated against racism on several occasions. He gives a balanced opinion and I think it is good to have him on boards as he can back up his posts and doesn't make ridiculous comments then try to distance himself from them as other drivers have done on here.

We're getting into semantics with the "non-national" thing. I presume, although have no way of knowing, that Spook_ie has a white face and that the NN expression seems to be used for guys with black faces. It's a bit disingenuous to repeatedly refer to Spook_ie as a non national.

There is definitely racism in the taxi industry but there are also a large number of drivers from all over the world and they are providing the same service as everyone else and give it time and the dinosaurs in their taxis will have to get used to it. The racism is a side issue as well. The part-timers who seem to invoke the most ire are said to be numerous amongst the teaching, fire-fighting and paramedic professions. Not jobs noted for a high non-national population.

There is a clumsy attempt in that tdfc website to show that they are not racist by having a picture of a guy who looks Chinese beside a black guy on the protest. It made me laugh a bit, like Fr. Ted's slide show in the racist episode but it has a serious message that not all of the drivers or their organisations are racist.

he can back up his posts and doesn't make ridiculous comments then try to distance himself from them as other drivers have done on here.
    But he doesn't back up what he posts. I have asked the same questions over & over & he refuses to answer,

Nice to know what what they think of some of us over on his site
    this is what some ####### has posted over on boards .
    What you have there is an arsehole who knows nothing about nothing

e5003214.gif give the fool a week in a taxi and see if he still feels the same.

It sounds to me like he might be a bottom feeder himself ,

Anyway lads , does anyone know when their next protest is ( or is it a strike, or maybe half a strike). I might take the day off myself.. Drive around looking at them would make an entertaining day off.. Jeeez no wonder we are called the mad Irish..
    Ireland in the grip of a huge recession & the self employed go on strike..:eek::D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

I have seen posts written by Spook_ie both on his taxi forum and on boards and think he has spoken out clearly against and moderated against racism on several occasions. He gives a balanced opinion and I think it is good to have him on boards as he can back up his posts and doesn't make ridiculous comments then try to distance himself from them as other drivers have done on here.

We're getting into semantics with the "non-national" thing. I presume, although have no way of knowing, that Spook_ie has a white face and that the NN expression seems to be used for guys with black faces. It's a bit disingenuous to repeatedly refer to Spook_ie as a non national.

There is definitely racism in the taxi industry but there are also a large number of drivers from all over the world and they are providing the same service as everyone else and give it time and the dinosaurs in their taxis will have to get used to it. The racism is a side issue as well. The part-timers who seem to invoke the most ire are said to be numerous amongst the teaching, fire-fighting and paramedic professions. Not jobs noted for a high non-national population.

There is a clumsy attempt in that tdfc website to show that they are not racist by having a picture of a guy who looks Chinese beside a black guy on the protest. It made me laugh a bit, like Fr. Ted's slide show in the racist episode but it has a serious message that not all of the drivers or their organisations are racist.

Well thats quite disingenuous of you to say that about TDFC and the picture .The picture was taken for NO other reason than to show taxis drivers on protest.........You will note I said Taxi Drivers and not NN taxi drivers ..We are all the same ,,,So stop trying to make out TDFC did it for a reason ...There is not a story there so stop trying to make something of it ,,,,Thank You

TV3 news showed a lad just about to boot the side of a VW Passat until he realised there was a TV camera behind him and he pulled back at the last second from damaging the man's car. I presume this wasn't isolated stuff. Thuggery.
    That was ONE person doing that and it WAS WRONG and uncalled for .So please if you have evidence of others please point it out since you said it wasnt an isolated incident ...
    I saw that Waterford Crystal Workers pushed a Minister and behaved in a none too mannerly way ..I dont see you or anyone condemning them ,,,or is it ok for them because they wereonly trying to protect their jobs????
    And what about some of the Dell workers who behaved less than mannerly with a journalist ,,,,Again I ask did anyone condemn them ? I think not ...

• Advertisement

there was one guy on the tv that was kicking out at a car for passing him

what do you call this?
    Your answer says it all ..."There was ONE guy ".........and yes it was wrong ,but it was ONE guy so stop tarring everyone .......

First off to oisindoyle my friends are not spoofers like I have said 3 times.
    I cant post your quote because you edited my quote insted of quoting me & answering on your own. There seems to be no getting trough to you because like I said you are in denial. Are you saying there are no taxi drivers in Dublin earning a decent wage (And if they say they are the're all spoofers)
    Its amazing why there is a need for a cap on licences. Jeezzz if things are that bad the number of licences would be falling not raising...

That sounds like your kept busy to me.

What??? Are you living down the country?
    I would imagine town is where the work is.

There are 3 newsagents in the shopping centre beside me.
    What argument am I twisting ???
    So should those newsagent owners go on strike & expect the government to prevent competition... Get real !!!

Me Me Me ! Is that all you think about??
    They are entitled to work what ever hours they want.
    You are entitled to cherry pick & work what ever hours you want.
    What stopping you working the lucrative hours and diluting their wage??

OMG!!! Get rid of that chip on your shoulder
    Its not leechlike its called making a good living for yourself. You should try it insted of blaming everyone else & expecting the state to sort you out.
    The good old days of yis holding the country to ransom & people having to wait hours for the privledge of giving you their business is gone.. Get over it & get out & earn a few quid for yourself

So what would putting a cap on new licences do then???

Ehh! because they paid for their licence the same as you did. They are entitled to work what ever hours they like..
    So if all the part timers worked full time would you be happy then???

Where did this big chip on your shoulder about PAYE workers come from??
    You really do have some issues.

So you are refusing to condemn the racist remarks on it???

What more do you want me to say ?? I gave a response too all your questions and yet you dont accept them ,,,and yes i am saying drivers are not making a decent living,,,most of us are not even making a living ,,,At present it is well documented that Drivers are making less than the minimum average industrial wage ,,,,Thats a FACT and was also recently said at an Oireachtas Transport Committee by various TDs ,,,,So there you have it ,,IF you think Im lying so be it ,,But Im not i have no reason to .........Its quite obvious that no matter what anyone says ,you will disagree with them regardless ....
    If you have all the answers and its wonderful for drivers why dont you buy a plate tomorro and see how "wonderful a life it is " Come on do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

oisindoyle wrote: »
    Your answer says it all ..."There was ONE guy ".........and yes it was wrong ,but it was ONE guy so stop tarring everyone .......
    The ONE person on the tv gives a indication of the sort of carry on that is being discussed. If TV3 had a camera at every rank that day a pattern could well emerge.

Its not that single incident alone, its the anecdotal evidence that prevails through stories of assaults on drivers for stealing trade from other drivers, common personal experience's and the views expressed by the more vocal drivers on their forum which taken togeather paints a fairly poor view of the industry and the people therein.

If your image was better i dare to say that public sympathy for your plight wouldnt be so scarce.

there was one guy on the tv that was kicking out at a car for passing him

what do you call this?
    The ONE person on the tv gives a indication of the sort of carry on that is being discussed. If TV3 had a camera at every rank that day a pattern could well emerge.

Its not that single incident alone, its the anecdotal evidence that prevails through stories of assaults on drivers for stealing trade from other drivers, common personal experience's and the views expressed by the more vocal drivers on their forum which taken togeather paints a fairly poor view of the industry and the people therein.

If your image was better i dare to say that public sympathy for your plight wouldnt be so scarce.

Are either of you actualy looking at the same clip as I'm looking at?

Clearley shows at 1m 02s in, the driver of the Passat striking the man on the leg while driving his car at him, the minor reaction of a half hearted kick ( if it was a kick ) at the door IMO was a very minor reaction to an action that could have killed or maimed someone.

But he doesn't back up what he posts. I have asked the same questions over & over & he refuses to answer,

Nice to know what what they think of some of us over on his site

Anyway lads , does anyone know when their next protest is ( or is it a strike, or maybe half a strike). I might take the day off myself.. Drive around looking at them would make an entertaining day off.. Jeeez no wonder we are called the mad Irish..
    Ireland in the grip of a huge recession & the self employed go on strike..:eek::D:D

Simarly nice to know what some of the people on here think of taxi drivers.

Now which questions is it that you want answering? because you have asked so many questions and gotten so many answers that I don't know which questions it is that you're looking for answers for.

BTW if you're asking questions, why when I give you answers do you not accept them as answers?
    So according to your perfect calculations & you perfectly calibrated meter what would those 2 fares be???
    BTW the works on the Swords road weren't there at the time so stop blaming road works for taking the screnic route.. Last time I looked there are more roadworks on the M50 than anywhere else.

Being a typical example of how when I answer a question ( with facts ) you resort to petty sarcasm, BTW the answer to that question is still a €1.75 difference (as already posted in the thread)....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

Now which questions is it that you want answering? because you have asked so many questions and gotten so many answers that I don't know which questions it is that you're looking for answers for.

I'm sure you know very well which question has been asked by koolkid a good few times and is left still unanswered by you...

Maybe again:

I quote koolkid: "Why should taxi drivers be singled out for special treatment?" emerging the following questions, again quote koolkid: "What other industry would be given protection from competition because they cant hack it in the business?"

So, not to confuse you with to many questions for a start I ask only this single question which you can focus on: Why should taxi drivers be singled out for special treatment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Are either of you actualy looking at the same clip as I'm looking at?

Clearley shows at 1m 02s in, the driver of the Passat striking the man on the leg while driving his car at him, the minor reaction of a half hearted kick ( if it was a kick ) at the door IMO was a very minor reaction to an action that could have killed or maimed someone.

Well i wouldnt consider driving a car into a protester as civilised behaviour either!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Well thats quite disingenuous of you to say that about TDFC and the picture .The picture was taken for NO other reason than to show taxis drivers on protest.........You will note I said Taxi Drivers and not NN taxi drivers ..We are all the same ,,,So stop trying to make out TDFC did it for a reason ...There is not a story there so stop trying to make something of it ,,,,Thank You

yeah right. The website is showing six or more photos of the protest and one has a van with Irish Cancer Society stickers in the window, another has two non-white guys protesting. I'd say there is a message there that they are trying to communicate. I think it's positive, if a little clumsy, that they are doing it. You can't say those two guys are representative of the strikers but it is good to see they were there.

What more do you want me to say ?? I gave a response too all your questions and yet you dont accept them ,,,and yes i am saying drivers are not making a decent living,,,most of us are not even making a living ,,,At present it is well documented that Drivers are making less than the minimum average industrial wage ,,,,Thats a FACT and was also recently said at an Oireachtas Transport Committee by various TDs ,,,,So there you have it ,,IF you think Im lying so be it ,,But Im not i have no reason to .........Its quite obvious that no matter what anyone says ,you will disagree with them regardless ....
    If you have all the answers and its wonderful for drivers why dont you buy a plate tomorro and see how "wonderful a life it is " Come on do it

I don't need to buy a plate. I have a good job & I am making a good wage. Something taxi drivers , accoring to themselves have never made.
    Even before regulation they always cried the poor mouth.
    Again I ask if things are this bad surly the number of licences should be dropping??? No business person gets into a business there is no profit in, and no business person stays in a business the is no profit in...
    Unless they are totally stupid.
    Strange then how the nuber of plates are still rising?:confused:
    Simarly nice to know what some of the people on here think of taxi drivers.

BTW if you're asking questions, why when I give you answers do you not accept them as answers?

Being a typical example of how when I answer a question ( with facts ) you resort to petty sarcasm, BTW the answer to that question is still a €1.75 difference (as already posted in the thread)....

You didn't answer that question. I asked what the 2 fares would be?

Here are the other questions. (in bold print because you clearly cant see them otherwise)
    What other industry would be given protection from competition because they cant hack it in the business.?

Anyway did you have a taxi plate prior to deregulation?

I find it amazing that you complain about a bit of sarcasim here while you openly allow blatant racism & hatred be spouted on your own site.

If you are honest when you say you condemn this then why not show it by deleting all the vile content on your site & ban the users responsible..
    (Yeah! I think I asked that question before also)

• Advertisement

lol koolkid, I don't think you're going to get an answer

but I feel it's very unfair that spooky gets all this "air" time to stick up for taxi drivers yet won't answer some very straight forward questions

the lack of answers speaks volumes tho.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement