Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi stoppage 24hour

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

merc330 wrote: »
    I would advise against that, as Koolkids friends risk this information being passed onto 'GERRY' in this thread over on spooks forum; http://s3.zetaboards.com/Irish_Taxis/topic/7149736/1/

Be advised Koolkid, there are nasty people over on that site.
    I have no intentions of..
    However Spook (as the site owner) must shoulder some of the blaim for their behaviour, no matter how decent a driver he comes across here.

I can't help but wonder does he condone in some small part their views?.

Spook, Monday gone, was it a protest or strike & are the driver's who worked "SCABS" (a quote taken from YOUR site, although not used by you).

Racists, thugs and bully boys thats what your associating with when you use or host a forum like that thing.
    I would like to ask Spook to state publically here if he condones such racist comments & if not to publically denounce such behaviour here.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭lost marbles

Spook something I'm not getting here.

You come across as a decent chap on this forum, but then you host a forum IRISHTAXIDRIVERS.COM which is blantly racist with a level of bullying and intimidation which would shame even stormfront.

I dare anyone to spend 30 minutes browsing that site, its pretty damn disgusting. Your allowing your members to constantly mouth off about anyone from part timers (you have one member asking for your guys to rat these out by PM'ing him with plate numbers, names & addresses, vehicle type, their full time job discription etc) to chinese grandmothers and 'African scammers' and almost every other minority group in this country who might try tip their toes into the waters of the taxi industry.

Then your allowing other's to post up details of "SCABS" (a term thrown about regularly this week on your site) including at least one photo of a taxi out working during the protest, or would you prefer now to call it a "strike"?.

I really don't get you and your members.

Was this a 'strike' or a 'protest', tbh your site is nothing but a shower of bottom feeding pond life.

As I said, you come across here as a decent and honest driver so why do you risk associating yourself with the type of scum on your forum?.
    just to put you straight here
    the owner of that site "spook "
    IS A NON NATIONAL .
    im sure he can confirm this himself

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Interesting!!!
    So could it be that he has availed of one of the licences that came available since deregulation?? And now once he's sorted he want's the door closed on everyone else.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

It would seem to me that the days of lack of taxis on the road are a thing of the past so I support the taxis in introducing a new system for new taxis. Perhaps an annual license issue where once a year a stock is taken of what cars are no longer on the roads etc etc.

The door doesnt have to be closed it just has to be er, regulated!

A friend of mine, who i consider to be the biggest gangster I know, use to work mad hours in his taxi because he would make a fortune. He has gotten out of it now because the effort doesnt bring the same return. He doesnt have a merc or a house in spain as some posters claim he would have? :confused:

The public cant moan about pricing though. everytime a price increase is on the cards, there is a consultation period for the public set by the regulator to air their opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

just to put you straight here
    the owner of that site "spook "
    IS A NON NATIONAL .
    im sure he can confirm this himself

I'm pretty sure I've met him at some point, he seemed very Irish to me.

• Advertisement

koolkid wrote: »
    Interesting!!!
    So could it be that he has availed of one of the licences that came available since deregulation?? And now once he's sorted he want's the door closed on everyone else.
    as is 90%of the taxi drivers out there atm .
    and if you looked properly into what the drivers are protesting about .you would see that they only want a temporary closeing [lets call it ajar ]
    and before you say how long .
    well that would have to be decided on by all concerned .

as is 90%of the taxi drivers out there atm .
    and if you looked properly into what the drivers are protesting about .you would see that they only want a temporary closeing [lets call it ajar ]
    and before you say how long .
    well that would have to be decided on by all concerned .

from reading posts here and watching the protests

I still don't have a clue what the taxi drivers want.

which doesn't help the cause.

ntlbell wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I've met him at some point, he seemed very Irish to me.
    i know the guy and i can assure you that he is deffo not irish :D

faceman wrote: »
    The public cant moan about pricing though. everytime a price increase is on the cards, there is a consultation period for the public set by the regulator to air their opinions.
    The prices set are the maximum they are allowed charge. There is nothing stopping them competing on price. One dublin taxi company is doing so at the moment.
    I would agree its not the goldmine it was years ago. But competition is part on any industry. My question is why should the Taxi industry get protected from this. I agree there should be a way of monitoring if licences are no longer in use. maybe there is I 'm not sure.

i know the guy and i can assure you that he is deffo not irish :D

we're still talking about spook_ie right?

• Advertisement

Interesting!!!
    just an after thought on that statement
    and why would you say that because he is a nn that he got his licence post dereg .
    did we not have any nns in ireland pre 2001

we're still talking about spook_ie right?
    yes the very same

just an after thought on that statement
    and why would you say that because he is a nn that he got his licence post dereg .
    did we not have any nns in ireland pre 2001
    Yes we did. But if you read my post again you will see I was asking a question not making a statement:p

The ?s is a bit of a giveaway really

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

The prices set are the maximum they are allowed charge. There is nothing stopping them competing on price. One dublin taxi company is doing so at the moment.
    I would agree its not the goldmine it was years ago. But competition is part on any industry. My question is why should the Taxi industry get protected from this. I agree there should be a way of monitoring if licences are no longer in use. maybe there is I 'm not sure.

I agree about the competing on price bit.

The flip side of the regulation bit is that taxi driver and vehicle standards are at risk of sliding drastically as it becomes a lower paid industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Then advertise on the raido, give out cards to customers with you number 10% discount next trip etc... If you want business drum it up, thats what other self employed people do.

That statment alone shows exactly why Taxi drivers will never get the support of the public. Who do you think you are that you should be allowed do business but others arn't...Your mentality here baffles me:confused:

Hang on a sec!!!!!
    Isn't that the taxi drivers argument against part timers??
    One one hand you argue that part time drivers are a health & safety issue because of working long hours & fatigue & tiredness is dangerous. but at the same time its ok for yous to work that lenght:confused:
    Again you want everything your way

Please explain what is so uneven??
    If you wanted to do a second job do you think anyone else would be out moaning??

And why do you think you have the right to determine the level of competition in a given industry??
    In every other business companys or individual compete or go out of business. Again I ask why should taxis be any different...
    Honestly though if you are out 90 hours a week and not getting a wage your doing something wrong. I have spoken to 4 friends yesterday who make €500- €600 part time. And no they are not drunk & they are not telling me lies. An hour in a taxi could be around €50, so for your 90 hours working your must be only actually working 20 or so.. Too much gossiping & reading the paper on the ranks I'd imagine.

PS I looked at that site. Its a discrace & its really not doing yis any favours.

Point 1 I'm a one man business, the cost of radio advertising is prohibitive, I can only be in one place,dealing with one customer at a time, thats why I refered to that kind of business has to be done on a small ( Local )geographical basis and would therefore preclude me from being able to take fares into the city centre ( some kind of taxi business that would be, yeah I'll take your fare but I can't go any distance because my other regular customers will get pissed off that I can't service them )

Point 2 You were asking why there isn't a cap on newsagents, I'm merely pointing out to you that you wouldn't get them opening up at 2 or 3 doors apart because the other newsagents would use any means they could to prevent competition, after all they are in business, why would they welcome competition, so there is a cap of sorts, don't try to twist arguments.

Point 3 The only reason I'm working those hours IS because the part time ( cherry picking ) drivers ( your mates in the pub :rolleyes: ) are working the lucrative hours and diluting the wage earning potential for full time taxi drivers, remove the part timers ( double jobbers ) and I wouldn't have to work the excessive hours, which increases mine and yours odds of not being in a tiredness related accident, but then I forget in your mind greed is good and they should be allowed to supplement their PAYE wages at my expense.

Point 4 Why would I want to do a 2nd job, my job is taxi driving, I don't want to become like your leechlike friends in the pub

Point 5 Nobodies asking to determine the level of competition in the industry, a lot of people are asking WHY? do we need/accept part timers, WHY? Do we seem to have more taxis in Dublin than are officaly recognised as being authorised to work there and WHY? Do we not have an efficent TRs office that efficiently enforces the taxi industry to remove the scammers

Point 6 Rather proves my point of if they need the taxi job to supplement their PAYE job, why not go the whole hog and do it full time, after all if they earn €500/€600 part time they could make €1500 full time, or is that they already get so much in their PAYE jobs that the taxi income pays for luxeries rather than essentials, or are they that afraid to relinquish the security of their SW entitlements?

Point 7 The site is as it is, I admin it to give drivers a voice to each other, I don't go overboard on censorship and if you read through it you'll find that most of the drivers on there are moderates with the oddball maniac, pretty much as in life

Spook_ie wrote: »

Point 2 You were asking why there isn't a cap on newsagents, I'm merely pointing out to you that you wouldn't get them opening up at 2 or 3 doors apart because the other newsagents would use any means they could to prevent competition, after all they are in business, why would they welcome competition, so there is a cap of sorts, don't try to twist arguments.

The point is there is nothing to stop that business opening.

Where I live in Cabra, you have a shopping complex on the cabra rd.

in one line

3 butchers.

2 newsagents.

2 chemists.

3 take aways.

3 hair dressers

2 betting shops

2 bakery's

there was two florists now one as one went out of business

Spook something I'm not getting here.

You come across as a decent chap on this forum, but then you host a forum IRISHTAXIDRIVERS.COM which is blantly racist with a level of bullying and intimidation which would shame even stormfront.

I dare anyone to spend 30 minutes browsing that site, its pretty damn disgusting. Your allowing your members to constantly mouth off about anyone from part timers (you have one member asking for your guys to rat these out by PM'ing him with plate numbers, names & addresses, vehicle type, their full time job discription etc) to chinese grandmothers and 'African scammers' and almost every other minority group in this country who might try tip their toes into the waters of the taxi industry.

Then your allowing other's to post up details of "SCABS" (a term thrown about regularly this week on your site) including at least one photo of a taxi out working during the protest, or would you prefer now to call it a "strike"?.

I really don't get you and your members.

Was this a 'strike' or a 'protest', tbh your site is nothing but a shower of bottom feeding pond life.

As I said, you come across here as a decent and honest driver so why do you risk associating yourself with the type of scum on your forum?.

You think that's bad, you should see what I have to put into the trash bin.

As for the guy looking to rat out on part timers I'd actualy encourage him to report Social Welfare fraudsters and people who are avoiding the payment of tax on a 2nd job or would you be condoning it?

As for associating with "bottom feeding pond life" isn't that what the majority of people on boards think of me, seeing as I am a taxi driver and isn't it better for me to be working away quietly on the inside trying to alter peoples misconceptions ( as I do on here ) rather than totaly ignoring them

• Registered Users Posts: 5 merc330

As for the guy looking to rat out on part timers I'd actualy encourage him to report Social Welfare fraudsters and people who are avoiding the payment of tax on a 2nd job or would you be condoning it?

But to get an SPSV licence don't these part timers need to produce a tax clearance cert to show they're tax complient?.
    As for associating with "bottom feeding pond life" isn't that what the majority of people on boards think of me, seeing as I am a taxi driver and isn't it better for me to be working away quietly on the inside trying to alter peoples misconceptions ( as I do on here ) rather than totaly ignoring them

Actually I don't see any taxi driver as a bottom feeder just become they've chosen to drive a taxi, I judge people on their actions and words (in the case of an internet discussion forum). And as I've said earlier, those members of your forum who spout out racist abuse and use bullyboy tactics to frighten people out of work last Monday are the worse kind of driver out there.

So Monday, was it a protest or a strike?.

The guys driving on Monday, do you consider them "scabs"? or just people who weren't afraid to work in the face of thuggery and bullying but a minority of drivers?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

But to get an SPSV licence don't these part timers need to produce a tax clearance cert to show they're tax complient?.

Actually I don't see any taxi driver as a bottom feeder just become they've chosen to drive a taxi, I judge people on their actions and words (in the case of an internet discussion forum). And as I've said earlier, those members of your forum who spout out racist abuse and use bullyboy tactics to frighten people out of work last Monday are the worse kind of driver out there.

So Monday, was it a protest or a strike?.

The guys driving on Monday, do you consider them "scabs"? or just people who weren't afraid to work in the face of thuggery and bullying but a minority of drivers?.
    What evidence have you of thuggery and bullying ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

Disput all you want, all I can say is I know they are. They are level headed people & have no reason to spoof.

WELL THEY ARE ,,NO ONE IS MAKING THAT KIND OF MONEY BE THEY FULL OR PART TIME .....

If the business is that bad then get out of it. As there is no cap on the number of licences (Thank God) they will be plenty who will take your place. I don't know why you arn't making money, as a self employed person it is up to you to figure out what you are doing wrong insted of blaming the government & everyone else. HONESTLY if it is so hard to make a living then you shouldn't have to worry about a cap on licences, people would not be getting into the industry if things were that bad.

I DIDNT BLAME ANYONE .iM DOING NOTHING WRONG THANKS VERY MUCH .I START WORK AT 630AM AND FINISH AT 6PM

You say you worked nearly 12 hours yesterday & got 3 fares?? I find that hard to believe. Where & what way are you working?
    DISBELIEVE IT IF YOU WANT ,BUT I AM NOT ON HERE TO SPOOF UNLIKE YOUR FRIENDS....BUSINESS IS THAT BAD THATS A FACT.MAYBE OF YOU DONT BELIEVE ME WHY DONT YOU COME AND JOIN US GET A PLATE AND SEE HOW "EASY "IT IS.I OWRK DUBLIN AIRPORT AND THE ODD RANK IF I CAN GET ONTO A RANK THAT IS

Are you joining a rank with a big long Q??? I just left Blanchardstown centre & there was about 100 cars just sitting there.
    THEY ARE SITTING THERE WAITNG ON A FARE ,,IT GOES TO SHOW HOW "GOOD " THE BUSINESS IS IF YOU SAW 100 TAXIS WAITING DOESNT IT ???
    Seriousally??? Whats the point ? I ASK MYSELF THAT QUESTION EVERY DAY BELIEVE ME
    Wait a hour & then complain when you get a local fare??REALLY ???

There are other industry's struggling to get business at the moment but you don't see them having half arsed protests for the government to put a cap on their competition. I am still waiting on an answer why taxi's should be singled out for special protection..
    WELL IF YOU CALL A 24 HR STRIKE HALF ARSED GOOD FOR YOU . ITS NOT JUST FOR DRIVERS PROTECTION AS YOU SAY ITS FOR THE GENERAL PUBLICS PROTECTION AS WELL
    I am still waiting on an answer as to why people doing 2 jobs are a danger from working long hours but taxi drivers ar'nt.
    Look trough the different threads here honestly why do you think the taxi drivers are getting no support?
    NO ONE IS ASKING FOR SUPPORT ,ALTHOUGH JUDGEING BY THE PUBLICS REACTION ON MONDAY MANY MANY GAVE US SUPPORT
    You are all in denial... Someone makes a point deny it!
    Someone is making money driving a taxi ,deny it
    THE CHAIRMAN OF THE OIREACTAS COMMITTEE SAID ONLY LAST WEEK THAT DRIVERS ARE EARNING LESS THAT THE MINIMUM INDUSTRIAL WAGE ,,,,GO FIGURE
    The level of service is much better from taxi's since deregulation, deny it.
    OF COURSE THE LEVEL OF TAXIS HAVE INCREASED NO ONE EVER DENIED THAT

Any chance of some answers ? or just more denial!!
    ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

oisindoyle wrote: »
    TV3 news showed a lad just about to boot the side of a VW Passat until he realised there was a TV camera behind him and he pulled back at the last second from damaging the man's car. I presume this wasn't isolated stuff. Thuggery.

oisindoyle wrote: »

there was one guy on the tv that was kicking out at a car for passing him

what do you call this?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Oh the irony. In the good old days when you couldn't get a taxi for love nor money on a cold feb morning the taximen were all earning £11,000 a year don't you know. They all used the same accountants. Go figure.

faceman wrote: »
    The flip side of the regulation bit is that taxi driver and vehicle standards are at risk of sliding drastically as it becomes a lower paid industry.
    Then the quality of service becomes an issue to compete on also..
    If you call or hail a taxi & its dirty or smelling of smoke (Yes they do smoke in their taxis, some of them) tell him to go away & get another. There's plenty now thank god.
    I had a funny one a few months ago. We came out of the pub & got ourobligatory bags of chips(to bring home not eat on the way). Hailed a taxi, he pulled over threw his smoke out the window & then said he couldn't take us because we were carrying a bag of chips:eek:
    Guess he's not one of the ones struggeling to get 3 fares a day:rolleyes::rolleyes:

murphaph wrote: »
    Oh the irony. In the good old days when you couldn't get a taxi for love nor money on a cold feb morning the taximen were all earning £11,000 a year don't you know. They all used the same accountants. Go figure.
    could people please get over the then and now .
    that was then this is now .

The point is there is nothing to stop that business opening.

Where I live in Cabra, you have a shopping complex on the cabra rd.

in one line

3 butchers.

2 newsagents.

2 chemists.

3 take aways.

3 hair dressers

2 betting shops

2 bakery's

there was two florists now one as one went out of business

Ok so go in there and try setting up as a butcher,newsagent or hairdresser and just see what sort of obstacles get put in your way and I do wish people wouldn't keep comparing a service industry to a retail business...

First off to oisindoyle my friends are not spoofers like I have said 3 times.
    I cant post your quote because you edited my quote insted of quoting me & answering on your own. There seems to be no getting trough to you because like I said you are in denial. Are you saying there are no taxi drivers in Dublin earning a decent wage (And if they say they are the're all spoofers)
    Its amazing why there is a need for a cap on licences. Jeezzz if things are that bad the number of licences would be falling not raising...
    I can only be in one place,dealing with one customer at a time,
    That sounds like your kept busy to me.
    preclude me from being able to take fares into the city centre ( some kind of taxi business that would be, yeah I'll take your fare but I can't go any distance because my other regular customers will get pissed off that I can't service them )
    What??? Are you living down the country?
    I would imagine town is where the work is.
    There are 3 newsagents in the shopping centre beside me.
    What argument am I twisting ???
    So should those newsagent owners go on strike & expect the government to prevent competition... Get real !!!
    Point 3 The only reason I'm working those hours IS because the part time ( cherry picking ) drivers ( your mates in the pub :rolleyes: ) are working the lucrative hours and diluting the wage earning potential for full time taxi drivers, remove the part timers ( double jobbers ) and I wouldn't have to work the excessive hours, which increases mine and yours odds of not being in a tiredness related accident, but then I forget in your mind greed is good and they should be allowed to supplement their PAYE wages at my expense.
    Me Me Me ! Is that all you think about??
    They are entitled to work what ever hours they want.
    You are entitled to cherry pick & work what ever hours you want.
    What stopping you working the lucrative hours and diluting their wage??
    Point 4 Why would I want to do a 2nd job, my job is taxi driving, I don't want to become like your leechlike friends in the pub
    OMG!!! Get rid of that chip on your shoulder
    Its not leechlike its called making a good living for yourself. You should try it insted of blaming everyone else & expecting the state to sort you out.
    The good old days of yis holding the country to ransom & people having to wait hours for the privledge of giving you their business is gone.. Get over it & get out & earn a few quid for yourself
    Point 5 Nobodies asking to determine the level of competition in the industry,
    So what would putting a cap on new licences do then???
    a lot of people are asking WHY? do we need/accept part timers,
    Ehh! because they paid for their licence the same as you did. They are entitled to work what ever hours they like..
    So if all the part timers worked full time would you be happy then???
    Point 6 Rather proves my point of if they need the taxi job to supplement their PAYE job, why not go the whole hog and do it full time, after all if they earn €500/€600 part time they could make €1500 full time, or is that they already get so much in their PAYE jobs that the taxi income pays for luxeries rather than essentials, or are they that afraid to relinquish the security of their SW entitlements?
    Where did this big chip on your shoulder about PAYE workers come from??
    You really do have some issues.
    Point 7 The site is as it is, I admin it to give drivers a voice to each other, I don't go overboard on censorship and if you read through it you'll find that most of the drivers on there are moderates with the oddball maniac, pretty much as in life
    So you are refusing to condemn the racist remarks on it???

Ok so go in there and try setting up as a butcher,newsagent or hairdresser and just see what sort of obstacles get put in your way and I do wish people wouldn't keep comparing a service industry to a retail business...

People open business next to others every day...
    Name one example when there was a strike about it...

Then the quality of service becomes an issue to compete on also..
    If you call or hail a taxi & its dirty or smelling of smoke (Yes they do smoke in their taxis, some of them) tell him to go away & get another. There's plenty now thank god.
    I had a funny one a few months ago. We came out of the pub & got ourobligatory bags of chips(to bring home not eat on the way). Hailed a taxi, he pulled over threw his smoke out the window & then said he couldn't take us because we were carrying a bag of chips:eek:
    Guess he's not one of the ones struggeling to get 3 fares a day:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    so now we,re getting to the crux of why you have such a big gripe with the taxi drivers .
    a driver would,nt let you take your chips into his car :rolleyes:
    i was beginning to wonder why you have such a hang up .
    look at this stage you are clutching at straws trying every angle ,and now its come to drivers smoking in their cars .
    look someone else posted
    "leave them alone they,ll soon burn themselves out "
    may i suggest you do that .because i dont think that anything i say or the other drivers who are here will ever change your mind .
    you seem to be dead cert on not liking taxi drivers .
    and if we are such a bad lot then may i suggest that you vote with your feet [pardon the pun]
    then you and your chips will get home without the blood pressure rising .

• Advertisement

I wouldn't go in and setup as a butcher as there is 3 fighting it out I would see it as a bad business opportunity

The same reason I wouldn't get a taxi plate right as it would be a bad business decision.

Now the point is, your in the business, now you either stay in it and take out what you can or you use the noggin and work out if it's worth your while looking at a different venture.

why is this so difficult for you to understand?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement